A reminder to everyone

There is a business side to these boards and I understand why there is a seperation. I personally don't think its intentional. As Pete mentioned during the Podcast He has to keep an eye on illeagal sponsorship for the protection of the site and his current sponsors. It wouldn't be fair for sponsors who pay for space on disboards.com to allow others to advertise for free via a posting or other method. By naming other podcasts, boards, or websites you might be directing others to their advertisements, and that's not fair to the advertisers on disboards.com.

These boards have been around since 1997 and they were one of the first boards to ever exist for Disney fans like us. The other being RADP (Rec Arts Disney Parks). I was one of the first visitors to this site. I can remember the boards when heavily discussed and viewed threads had flames to the side of the posting. That seemed like a long time ago.

I think since these boards were one of the first around the folks that run them should have choice and preference to run them the way they wish; podcast included. Just my opinion.

I guess I didn't realize that Kevin went for the bad girls now. :woohoo:

I understand that this is absolutely a business venture and agree that Pete should run the boards however he wishes. I guess my concerns are two-fold. First, why does it seem that DIS is cut off from the rest of the Disney community? Second, Pete has always maintained that the boards were to remain independent and unbiased. For instance, from an older post:

The goal from day one was to give anyone who found there way to my site the best information they could, whether they patronized our sponsors or not. It has always been very important to me that the forums remain a truly un-biased place. From the beginning I recognized that forums needed editorial integrity in order to be succesful, and I was right.

However, this request to keep the mention of other shows and sites off-limits seems to fly in the face of that prior stance.

I'm trying to understand your position...but can't (not that you really need me to or anything). I don't feel like we're cut off from the Disney community just because Pete doesn't want other sites mentioned where he has no control over the content. I mean really, do you want me to stand at your lemonade stand and do nothing but talk about the lemonade stand next door?

Yes, I too have had a passing curiosity in the podcast’s seeming isolationism from the rest of the online Disney community. However I seem to remember an older podcast where Pete, and or the rest of the podcast crew, explained that they were trying to remain original and not be influenced by format/segment or content choices of other podcasts. I can understand that to be sure. Just a curiosity I suppose.

It is such a great podcast and a joy to be able to listen to it every week.

Keep up the great work guys.

-Baz

Well, if there's one thing we know about this group, it's that they won't shy away from speaking their minds. So maybe when they see these questions, they'll explain why they don't associate with the other Disney podcast people (that we know of).

Not that they have to explain themselves or give any reason however. It is a sort of personal question.

It's not so much that we're cut off. I apologize if I gave the impression that I think those in this forum isolate themselves. I don't think that's true at all. In fact, I enjoy reading through the posts of this forum as much as any on the boards. It's more that the Podcast team seems to almost go out of its way to avoid mention of the fact that there is a segment of the Disney community out there that they do not participate in. For instance, the fact that the gang held a Podmeet during Mousefest in December without actually mentioning Mousefest was just strange.

For me, Disney is all about community. It's why I enjoy these boards so much and it's why I've been a member since 2000 (although, as you can see, I don't post much). Those other podcasts that shall not be named are all about enjoying each other's work and expertise. I also remember Pete saying that he intentionally avoids listening to other podcasts to maintain originality but with this group of characters, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem (I'm pretty certain those other podcasts don't have a Bawb of their own).

Again, I'm not trying to stir anything up. This is just an observation that I make on a weekly basis while listening to the show. Pete's post just got me going because it seemed to be the antithesis of his previously stated position regarding the boards.

Well, first of all you keep mentioning how the DIS is a business like it's a bad thing. So is every other major Disney site out there. We all love Disney, but these sites aren't free. They're free to YOU, but I can't pay my staff or my hosting company with pixie dust, nor can any other major site out there. Also, I don't hear anyone complaining about the prizes we give out - they don't pay for themselves either. Yes, this is a business, but it's an HONEST business (an important distinction considering how many scam artists have set up shop on the web).

I do not restrict the discussion of other podcasts anywhere else on this site and never have. People discuss all manner of podcasts both Disney and otherwise all over these boards and have for years. This PARTICULAR forum is dedicated to my show, not everyone else’s. At the very top of the board is a thread entitled "Welcome - Please read before posting" where I ask "While we welcome comments and discussions about our show, we ask that all topics posted here remain specific to the DIS Unplugged.".

That's all - no great conspiracy or evil business plan - I would like this forum to be about the DIS Unplugged. We have always asked that posts on specific forums remain germane to the topic matter - and I fail to see how discussing other podcasts on this forum relates to my show.

Nor is there any great conspiracy in our lack of participation with other sites. I have nothing bad to say about any of them, in fact I have great respect for the work that goes into doing this (something I feel uniquely qualified to say). I made a choice some time ago that I would focus on what was on my plate. To some degree it's a control issue and I have no problem admitting that I'm a control freak. I like to know that the people I work with are accountable to me. It helps me control the quality of my site and more importantly, the appropriateness of the message. And, to be brutally honest, I'm not known as someone who necessarily likes to share the spotlight.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s so outrageous a request to ask that posts on this particular forum stay focused on the topic - The DIS UNPLUGGED.

Pete

I LOVE having a different area specifically related to the Podcast. I listen faithfully and it is convenient and easy to find discussions and info related to the show. It would be difficult to find Podcast discussions and info if it is scattered in other areas/threads.

Keep it as it is Pete!

Well, first of all you keep mentioning how the DIS is a business like it's a bad thing. So is every other major Disney site out there. We all love Disney, but these sites aren't free. They're free to YOU, but I can't pay my staff or my hosting company with pixie dust, nor can any other major site out there. Also, I don't hear anyone complaining about the prizes we give out - they don't pay for themselves either. Yes, this is a business, but it's an HONEST business (an important distinction considering how many scam artists have set up shop on the web).

I do not restrict the discussion of other podcasts anywhere else on this site and never have. People discuss all manner of podcasts both Disney and otherwise all over these boards and have for years. This PARTICULAR forum is dedicated to my show, not everyone else’s. At the very top of the board is a thread entitled "Welcome - Please read before posting" where I ask "While we welcome comments and discussions about our show, we ask that all topics posted here remain specific to the DIS Unplugged.".

That's all - no great conspiracy or evil business plan - I would like this forum to be about the DIS Unplugged. We have always asked that posts on specific forums remain germane to the topic matter - and I fail to see how discussing other podcasts on this forum relates to my show.

Nor is there any great conspiracy in our lack of participation with other sites. I have nothing bad to say about any of them, in fact I have great respect for the work that goes into doing this (something I feel uniquely qualified to say). I made a choice some time ago that I would focus on what was on my plate. To some degree it's a control issue and I have no problem admitting that I'm a control freak. I like to know that the people I work with are accountable to me. It helps me control the quality of my site and more importantly, the appropriateness of the message. And, to be brutally honest, I'm not known as someone who necessarily likes to share the spotlight.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s so outrageous a request to ask that posts on this particular forum stay focused on the topic - The DIS UNPLUGGED.

Pete

You go Pete!:thumbsup2

I'm sure you won't ( but just in case) please don't change a thing about this forum. I love the way it's set up! and BTW Pete...You Rock! I love that you don't take any crap. :cool2:

Let me apologize again, sorry for the post and stirring up the mess. For me it was just a fact that this is the main forum I visit and where I enjoy spending the most time. I understand the request and I won't do it again. I was just ignorant about where the previous thread went so I asked about it again. Hopefully I sound sincere because I am! Thanks for the hours and hours of entertainment you provide.

No one owes any apologies - these are discussions among friends (at least that's how I feel) :) I'm not above answering direct questions about the site or the decisons I make. One of my big mistakes over the years with these boards is that I've never really explained the rationale behind why I do some of what I do. The show has brought about many changes on the site, and one of them is a new dialouge with my visitors. It's been the best thing that's happened to this site, this team and to me in a long time and I welcome it all with open arms.

Thx
Pete

Not trying to be a stinker, but why would you even discuss another podcast here? If you want to talk about something relating to them, do it on their own forum.

wait a min. does this mean that we can't do our own podcast, about the podcast, on the day the pod cast goes up, with an audiance, in dining room, in a house with a roof, that was recently worked on by filthy pigs?

I am so confused... now I must ride Tower of Terror while posting to Dis Boards.

wait a min. does this mean that we can't do our own podcast, about the podcast, on the day the pod cast goes up, with an audiance, in dining room, in a house with a roof, that was recently worked on by filthy pigs?

Only if you can figure out how to do it with your iPhone. ;)

No one owes any apologies - these are discussions among friends (at least that's how I feel) :) I'm not above answering direct questions about the site or the decisons I make. One of my big mistakes over the years with these boards is that I've never really explained the rationale behind why I do some of what I do. The show has brought about many changes on the site, and one of them is a new dialouge with my visitors. It's been the best thing that's happened to this site, this team and to me in a long time and I welcome it all with open arms.

Thx
Pete
I guess none of us wants to trigger a "bad day" for you, Pete...although I'd love to see what happens when you go "Britney" on us!

so we should bring umbrellas, hair clippers... Then hide Pete's meds, add vodka then stir, then wait for the very special episode of dis unplugged?

I am a very loyal person. The thing I hate most about the podcast is how they are quick to turn people off-site or to other Floridai activities when this is a Disney board. And, I don't want to visit anywhere else but Disney World, because I am a very loyal fan. My family loves Harry Potter, and I don't know that I'll be able to visit because it's at Universal. But, I also love the podcast and this website. While I might not like all the choices or decisions, I'll be fiercely loyal. While I do listen to some other podcasts if I'm scrapping or something, it is not a regular basis kind of thing. And, when I'm finished, the Dis is still the best. Next week's headline could be that Pete was caught walking down Main Street wearing a speedo, and I'd still be loyal. And, now I'd have an easier time explaining who he was to my friends :)

I am a very loyal person. The thing I hate most about the podcast is how they are quick to turn people off-site or to other Floridai activities when this is a Disney board. And, I don't want to visit anywhere else but Disney World, because I am a very loyal fan. My family loves Harry Potter, and I don't know that I'll be able to visit because it's at Universal. But, I also love the podcast and this website. While I might not like all the choices or decisions, I'll be fiercely loyal. While I do listen to some other podcasts if I'm scrapping or something, it is not a regular basis kind of thing. And, when I'm finished, the Dis is still the best. Next week's headline could be that Pete was caught walking down Main Street wearing a speedo, and I'd still be loyal. And, now I'd have an easier time explaining who he was to my friends :)

Actually, one of the things I like best about the podcast is how willing they are to explore things outside of WDW. I'm a loyal fan, too, but not so loyal that I wouldn't like to find ways to save money, which means staying and eating offsite now. And while I don't think Universal compares in any way to WDW, I like to have reviews on that and other Orlando venues in case I want to try something different. I'd like to see them expand even further, if they could, to Busch Gardens.
As for the speedo, we'd definitely know that Pete had gone "Britney" then, wouldn't we?:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter