• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

20th Anniversary Cruise, or not?

I have been at WDW since the 25th and hadn't checked the DIS until now. I'm glad you're still being positive, and I'll keep hoping for those IGT/OGT rates to appear. :)

Nancy! Can I just say I'm just a wee bit jealous of your WDW trip!! :):thumbsup2 I am having major Splash Mountain withdrawal!! :) It is so my laughing place :lmao: I am a bit surprised they're waiting for releasing lower GT categories, but feel good about it. The odd thing is that on Friday they put on their 'Special Offers' page that September Dream/Fantasy cruises have special pricing. For Eastern/Western Caribbean it says rooms starting at $999 per person, but the VGT rate is less than that, so not sure why they put it on there? Kids are getting very nervous, ask me almost daily and now the girls have started checking 3x a day with me :) They're both away at scout camp this week, so I hope I can surprise them when they get home on Saturday with a true booking!! :) My son is soooo laid back, he has no clue whether we have rooms or not :)

I'm pretty new to the boards but wanted to let you know I came across your post while trying to be my most frugal self and found it reassuring that I'm not the only one who over thinks and plans. Glad to know I am not alone. DH and
I are going on a 3 night without the kids in October and I am over-calculating if we will get a better deal booking onboard or waiting for a VGT, all this calculating is exhausting! Best of luck!

April!! Welcome to the boards!! :cheer2: I hate to encourage others to go through the stress of these journeys, but there are soo many ships out there and the economy is still lagging...I would bet you would get a GT offering for October...and I love your name! I remember as a child, always naming my dolls April! :) What a great way to spend some time with your dh!! I hope you get the best deal :thumbsup2

Thanks! Actually already have the October one booked, looking for a VGT for the whole Family in January! :)

I think January would be a lock, except for the weekend of President's Day? Lots of schools let out that week...or the first week of Jan before school starts back...what a great way to break up the winter!! Have a great time in October! :)

Nancy! Can I just say I'm just a wee bit jealous of your WDW trip!! :):thumbsup2 I am having major Splash Mountain withdrawal!! :) It is so my laughing place :lmao: I am a bit surprised they're waiting for releasing lower GT categories, but feel good about it. The odd thing is that on Friday they put on their 'Special Offers' page that September Dream/Fantasy cruises have special pricing. For Eastern/Western Caribbean it says rooms starting at $999 per person, but the VGT rate is less than that, so not sure why they put it on there? Kids are getting very nervous, ask me almost daily and now the girls have started checking 3x a day with me :) They're both away at scout camp this week, so I hope I can surprise them when they get home on Saturday with a true booking!! :) My son is soooo laid back, he has no clue whether we have rooms or not :)

I am back from WDW. It was VERY hot, and I'm sure Splash Mountain would've felt great...IF I were a fan of that ride! :teeth: I normally avoid Florida during the summer, but my nephew got married near the coast last weekend and I wanted to attend the wedding.

The VGT fare of $994 pp + taxes is a very good price for a balcony cabin. My Dec. 2012 Fantasy cruise was $959 pp for an 11C, minus the 10% onboard booking discount.

I am back from WDW. It was VERY hot, and I'm sure Splash Mountain would've felt great...IF I were a fan of that ride! :teeth: I normally avoid Florida during the summer, but my nephew got married near the coast last weekend and I wanted to attend the wedding.

The VGT fare of $994 pp + taxes is a very good price for a balcony cabin. My Dec. 2012 Fantasy cruise was $959 pp for an 11C, minus the 10% onboard booking discount.

Ooh! I remember our one family trip in July back in 1976! It was sooo brutally hot and packed my Dad vowed to never go back! Mom talked him into it 15 years later :)

I am about to break, I need to book before they release CM discounted rooms to ensure availability...guess those hit around day 30... Hoping today there will be a shift. Just found out we have to pay $1000 for new roof from hail damage, insurance covers the rest but that is $1000 I had hoped to use for cruise...it is almost laughable how you work so hard to save x amount of dollars and the exact amount is needed for freak things like golfball sized hail shredding the roof...

Ooh! I remember our one family trip in July back in 1976! It was sooo brutally hot and packed my Dad vowed to never go back! Mom talked him into it 15 years later :)

I am about to break, I need to book before they release CM discounted rooms to ensure availability...guess those hit around day 30... Hoping today there will be a shift. Just found out we have to pay $1000 for new roof from hail damage, insurance covers the rest but that is $1000 I had hoped to use for cruise...it is almost laughable how you work so hard to save x amount of dollars and the exact amount is needed for freak things like golfball sized hail shredding the roof...

I'm sorry about your unexpected $1,000 deductible for the roof, but it beats paying for all of it!

You mentioned that you have the Disney Visa card. One of its advantages is that you'll get up to 6 months at 0% interest to pay for your cruise if it is charged to that card.

I'm sorry about your unexpected $1,000 deductible for the roof, but it beats paying for all of it!

You mentioned that you have the Disney Visa card. One of its advantages is that you'll get up to 6 months at 0% interest to pay for your cruise if it is charged to that card.

Yes!:cheer2:And we will get 2% rewards for the trip, I just know if I do not pay it off we will end up carrying a balance...we vowed never to add new debt, so as soon as I charge it, we will pay it off...just peace of mind. The Murphy's law is that after dh working 90 hour work weeks for 3 months woth no overtime, they finally gave him some these past two weeks, I thought it was perfect timing, we could have extra funds to apply to expenses and I could just go ahead and book...but that extra 1k is needed for the roof, so now, back to really needing a little cushion....hoping they might extend his overtime just one more stretch before the cruise, whew! That would be sweet!

Oh, not sure if I mentioned it, but was rear ended on the interstate, the guy who hit us had to have his car towed, the Prius held up great but took a hard hit and had to get a new bumper...my poor passenger in back seat had it rough...thankful we were all walking out of it, but it has just been one thing after another...luckily, his insurance was very easy to work with...but it seems to always be somethingpirate:

Yes!:cheer2:And we will get 2% rewards for the trip, I just know if I do not pay it off we will end up carrying a balance...we vowed never to add new debt, so as soon as I charge it, we will pay it off...just peace of mind. The Murphy's law is that after dh working 90 hour work weeks for 3 months woth no overtime, they finally gave him some these past two weeks, I thought it was perfect timing, we could have extra funds to apply to expenses and I could just go ahead and book...but that extra 1k is needed for the roof, so now, back to really needing a little cushion....hoping they might extend his overtime just one more stretch before the cruise, whew! That would be sweet!

Oh, not sure if I mentioned it, but was rear ended on the interstate, the guy who hit us had to have his car towed, the Prius held up great but took a hard hit and had to get a new bumper...my poor passenger in back seat had it rough...thankful we were all walking out of it, but it has just been one thing after another...luckily, his insurance was very easy to work with...but it seems to always be somethingpirate:
To actually get the 2% in rewards dollars to use on your cruise, your billing cycle needs to close before your cruise ends. You also need to move the rewards dollars from your account to a physical card - and you have to have at least $20 in rewards dollars to put on your first card. If the rewards card is ordered online or over the phone, it might take a week or 2 to get it. However, I believe you can go to Guest Services at Downtown Disney, and they will give you a number to call to transfer your rewards dollars to a rewards card that they will give you right there. At least that's how it worked for me several years ago.

Sorry to hear about your car accident, too!

To actually get the 2% in rewards dollars to use on your cruise, your billing cycle needs to close before your cruise ends. You also need to move the rewards dollars from your account to a physical card - and you have to have at least $20 in rewards dollars to put on your first card. If the rewards card is ordered online or over the phone, it might take a week or 2 to get it. However, I believe you can go to Guest Services at Downtown Disney, and they will give you a number to call to transfer your rewards dollars to a rewards card that they will give you right there. At least that's how it worked for me several years ago.

Sorry to hear about your car accident, too!

I know! I am running into a crunch time to get it sent in time! Sigh! I think I will need to book by tomorrow! Our card's billing cycle is on the 12th...is it not crazy how much detail goes into maximizing travel bonuses! :)

So hope I can figure this out tomorrow!pixiedust:

I just hit 70 pounds lost in a year!! So excited!! I think I can get the last 30-40 off by New Year's....so now that has boosted my morale and I think I can hang on until Tuesday before I give in and buy at the VGT rate and one Inside cabin using my 10% and OBC...that is cheaper than booking two VGT...by about $300 I guess...so so hoped for an OGT/IGT...I am going to try not to check as often b/c I'm driving myself bonkers and wasting too much time seeing the same rates over and over again, interestingly OGT is still available for the last two cruises in August. Would be such a boost to save just $400 more to help pay for any excursions...sigh. but not really, WE ARE GOING ON A CRUISE!! In all the rough patches we all seem to go through, how can one complain to have an opportunity to be with their family unencumbered and enjoying life for a precious week!!! :dance3:

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!

When you finally book the 2nd cabin without the onboard booking discount and onboard credit - will you do that through a travel agency to get an additional OBC?

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!

When you finally book the 2nd cabin without the onboard booking discount and onboard credit - will you do that through a travel agency to get an additional OBC?

Nancy, as far as I can tell they will only give me $50-$75 for an inside category...I'm not sure! Have not had good luck with agents in the past so hate to invite frustration :(

Nancy, as far as I can tell they will only give me $50-$75 for an inside category...I'm not sure! Have not had good luck with agents in the past so hate to invite frustration :(

No - I meant the VGT cabin. According to the Dreams Unlimited web site, you would get a $200 onboard credit for a 7-night Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy in 2012: http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/specials.htm#sbc. You would have to book directly with DU in order to get that much OBC - rather than book with DCL and transfer it to them.

DU's OBC for an inside cabin is $100 - although it might be less because you would be transferring an onboard booking. You would have to transfer your current onboard booking to DU before the transfer, however, since it's after the final payment date for the cruise you want to move that booking to.

Okay, now things are getting interesting!!!

Today they have no all inside categories available EVEN 11C...only 11B and 10A have shown the past 3 weeks, in addition, they now have all CAT 8's that hold five people available again!! None were available for 3 weeks, so do I rebook our category 8...or go for the two rooms and hope they put us togther or wait till next week and see if an OGT or IGT comes available? I also just read that they changed tomorrow's Western cruise to an Eastern due to the tropical storm...so maybe less will be willing to travel during hurrican season....oh to have a crystal ball!!!

Okay, now things are getting interesting!!!

Today they have no all inside categories available EVEN 11C...only 11B and 10A have shown the past 3 weeks, in addition, they now have all CAT 8's that hold five people available again!! None were available for 3 weeks, so do I rebook our category 8...or go for the two rooms and hope they put us togther or wait till next week and see if an OGT or IGT comes available? I also just read that they changed tomorrow's Western cruise to an Eastern due to the tropical storm...so maybe less will be willing to travel during hurrican season....oh to have a crystal ball!!!

That IS interesting, as they showed NO oceanview cabins at all the past few times I checked...including this morning! Considering the new inventory - I'd hold out awhile longer!

I wouldn't count on people cancelling because of a hurricane. Anyone already booked would lose their deposits at a minimum, and probably more, if they cancelled the September 8 cruise now.

That IS interesting, as they showed NO oceanview cabins at all the past few times I checked...including this morning! Considering the new inventory - I'd hold out awhile longer!

I wouldn't count on people cancelling because of a hurricane. Anyone already booked would lose their deposits at a minimum, and probably more, if they cancelled the September 8 cruise now.

Thanks Nancy!!! You have given me the confidence I need to extend till Tuesday! :) I know it's a risk, so if I lose out, do not feel like you contributed, it's 100% my frugality and desperation! :) Okay, I"m confused, so DU can give on board credit with a VGT? I was told that they couldn't...if I can get OBC with both rooms, it would be worth it to switch to a TA..the only factor I haven't analyzed to the hilt is if it may put any pixie dust upgrades for us at risk? Not sure if Disney upgrades those who book directly more than those with TAs...or if it's just all random....one of these days, I will kick myself senseless for analyzing all this..just book the silly room!! :)

Oh, I didn't mean they would cancel that cruise, but it may prevent too many from booking a cruise which is who I am currently competing with room inventory...I just hope more rooms stay available at this late date :)
Thanks!!

Thanks Nancy!!! You have given me the confidence I need to extend till Tuesday! :) I know it's a risk, so if I lose out, do not feel like you contributed, it's 100% my frugality and desperation! :) Okay, I"m confused, so DU can give on board credit with a VGT? I was told that they couldn't...if I can get OBC with both rooms, it would be worth it to switch to a TA..the only factor I haven't analyzed to the hilt is if it may put any pixie dust upgrades for us at risk? Not sure if Disney upgrades those who book directly more than those with TAs...or if it's just all random....one of these days, I will kick myself senseless for analyzing all this..just book the silly room!! :)

Oh, I didn't mean they would cancel that cruise, but it may prevent too many from booking a cruise which is who I am currently competing with room inventory...I just hope more rooms stay available at this late date :)
Thanks!!

Tara, yes DU gives $200 OBC for VGT. I booked our VGT through DU, Kelsie Johnson is the TA. I got the $200 OBC on the booking. She has be super responsive. So far I'm very pleased. This is coming from someone who hates relinquishing control. ;)

Tara, yes DU gives $200 OBC for VGT. I booked our VGT through DU, Kelsie Johnson is the TA. I got the $200 OBC on the booking. She has be super responsive. So far I'm very pleased. This is coming from someone who hates relinquishing control. ;)

Thanks Kasey!! I'm not sure who told me no credit for GT rates..that is good to know!! Part of the reason I did not want to give up my 10% and $200 OBC, but might work out better to do two VGT, so many options now, I like it better when they're limited, nah...this is fun, too! :dance3:

Here are my three attempts at enquiring with a travel agent.

1. Called in to one that actually had a phone number, nice gentleman, said the VGT rates did not show up on his 'screen' that he would have to call Disney directly and get back to me. That was at 11am...never heard from him again.

2. Emailed information stressing that cost was most important and wanted two rooms...also asked for a call back b/c this one does say they can phone you, you just can not phone them. I get an email quote about 8 hours later, and she put us in a non-discounted 4D room that would cost us over$1500 more than what I have configured with the VGT. Sigh.

3. Emailed the third one, and get a notice that she only has hours M/W/F but that this Monday she will not be in the office.

Honestly, it's a comedy of errors! I tell them exactly what I need and I just can't get it! :confused3 I guess I'm just doomed to wait even longer...when I finally decide to buckle down and book the VGT/Inside....I am not able to (with a TA, the on board credit is really necessary if I am not waiting for IGT/OGT)....it's really kind of sad. These 'vacations' always have Murphy's Law attached to it as a rider of sorts.....Good thing I'm watching "Monty PYthon and the HOly Grail"....it mirrors the nonsense I seem to go through in planning our ever elusive family getaway! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter