2024 DVC Annual Dues - Check Your Mail!

Actually with the huge increase in dues after only 3 months and the 2.72 Transient tax I think VDH will be the next worthless contract. Yous almost at VB levels already at year 1. Unbelievable. I wouldn't touch a VDH contract with a ten foot pole.
I don’t know how you can compare them; you’ll be able to get probably $8/point more for the average confirmed reservation at VDH vs VB.

Also year 1 and 2 dues increases aren’t predictive of future increases. That was demonstrated conclusively by a former board member a few years ago (who unfortunately blanked all of his posts on his way out)

I don’t know how you can compare them; you’ll be able to get probably $8/point more for the average confirmed reservation at VDH vs VB.

Also year 1 and 2 dues increases aren’t predictive of future increases. That was demonstrated conclusively by a former board member a few years ago (who unfortunately blanked all of his posts on his way out)
Maybe; but when you add in the ToT your looking at about $13 a point for MF . This is year 1 ! Maybe you would like to gamble with a dumb contract like that when there are much better choices. Not to mention the resale restrictions and the overpriced buy in cost. . I'm using my VGF points to stay there in Feb. Now there's a great contract.

Maybe; but when you add in the ToT your looking at about $13 a point for MF . This is year 1 ! Maybe you would like to gamble with a dumb contract like that when there are much better choices. Not to mention the resale restrictions and the overpriced buy in cost. . I'm using my VGF points to stay there in Feb. Now there's a great contract.
I only own SSR resale so I’m probably not the one to gamble but I guess while I agree there’s better options overall and I don’t think it’s worth anything like what Disney wants for it, I don’t think it’s going to go negative.

I only own SSR resale so I’m probably not the one to gamble but I guess while I agree there’s better options overall and I don’t think it’s worth anything like what Disney wants for it, I don’t think it’s going to go negative.
If Disney ever put a skyliner from SSR to the Front of Epcot it would double the value of that resort.

If Disney ever put a skyliner from SSR to the Front of Epcot it would double the value of that resort.
I actually brought this up recently on another thread, but there is actually a monorail easement that exists that traverses the SSR property (it actually also goes along POFQ, I believe). It still exists. I am about as close to 100% sure that they aren't building another monorail spur anytime soon, however, could they put a skyliner on that footprint? :confused3

https://yesterland.com/monoraillegends2.html

We love staying at HHI for 1-3 nights on the way to and/or from Florida. Every time we consider buying a 50-100 point contract there (to give us an 11-month advantage in order to book longer stays during peak season), those high dues talk us out of it. We're content to book what we can at 7 months using points with much lower MFs.
I’m the opposite. I can’t wait to sell my AKV contract and add on more HHI points. But we no longer want to travel to WDW and want to do HHI at least twice a year until it expires. The question is how many more years do I wait until my AKV still has a lot of value and HHI is much cheaper? That’s when it will be a good time to do it. Kind of hoping it won’t be too long so we can make the switch before we start needing multiple rooms for family trips.

And if you’re wondering why I don’t just use AKV points to book….
1. Multiple rooms can be hard to book at the 7-month mark.
2. We may have to travel in peak season due to family schedules.
3. We don’t want to pay dues after 2042.
4. When 2042 draws close, I have a feeling there will be restrictions on the use of points, so I’d like to have enough points in the current UY to book what we need.

I’m the opposite. I can’t wait to sell my AKV contract and add on more HHI points. But we no longer want to travel to WDW and want to do HHI at least twice a year until it expires. The question is how many more years do I wait until my AKV still has a lot of value and HHI is much cheaper? That’s when it will be a good time to do it. Kind of hoping it won’t be too long so we can make the switch before we start needing multiple rooms for family trips.

And if you’re wondering why I don’t just use AKV points to book….
1. Multiple rooms can be hard to book at the 7-month mark.
2. We may have to travel in peak season due to family schedules.
3. We don’t want to pay dues after 2042.
4. When 2042 draws close, I have a feeling there will be restrictions on the use of points, so I’d like to have enough points in the current UY to book what we need.

I don't know when you travel or what room sizes you book, but if you go in peak season for HHI (summer), a 2BR costs 337 points per week which at $11.31/pp is about $3800 in annual dues. Is the DVC resort in SC it worth it when there are no theme parks to go along with it? Is it that much more special than other options? Why not keep AKV, rent those points out, and use the cash to book HHI outside of the DVC bubble? And if you don't want to pay dues past 2042 you can sell AKV in 2042, while it still has 15 years left.

We've actually never been to HHI, at DVC or otherwise, so I honestly don't know the answers to the questions I was asking. But we own multiple Marriott Vacation Club weeks and so I happen to know MVC has about 8 separate resorts on HHI (Barony Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Harbour Club, Harbour Point, Heritage Club, Monarch, Sunset Pointe, Surfwatch). You could probably book a summer 2BR unit in some of these directly on marriott.com for less than $4000 per week (I checked - see below).

Here's an option directly available via marriott.com that will cost you about as much as the dues on a 2BR DVC HHI week (no "owner discount" used). Renting from a deeded week owner on Redweek or asking an owner to book shorter stays with points via the owner-created website vacationpointexchange.com would probably cost you substantially less - but these probably require more "trust factor" and common sense fraud prevention measures. In addition, some of those Marriott points charts are extremely favorable in the offseason. For example - a full week in a 2BR in December or January for 400 MVC points (which can be rented for about $300!). It'd be 146 points with DVC.

1699632088483.png

Last edited:
I don't know when you travel or what room sizes you book, but if you go in peak season for HHI (summer), a 2BR costs 337 points per week which at $11.31/pp is about $3800 in annual dues. Is the DVC resort in SC it worth it when there are no theme parks to go along with it? Is it that much more special than other options? Why not keep AKV, rent those points out, and use the cash to book HHI outside of the DVC bubble? And if you don't want to pay dues past 2042 you can sell AKV in 2042, while it still has 15 years left.

We've actually never been to HHI, at DVC or otherwise, so I honestly don't know the answers to the questions I was asking. But we own multiple Marriott Vacation Club weeks and so I happen to know MVC has about 8 separate resorts on HHI (Barony Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Harbour Club, Harbour Point, Heritage Club, Monarch, Sunset Pointe, Surfwatch). You could probably book a summer 2BR unit in some of these directly on marriott.com for less than $4000 per week (I checked - see below).

Here's an option directly available via marriott.com that will cost you about as much as the dues on a 2BR DVC HHI week (no "owner discount" used). Renting from a deeded week owner on Redweek or asking an owner to book shorter stays with points via the owner-created website vacationpointexchange.com would probably cost you substantially less - but these probably require more "trust factor" and common sense fraud prevention measures. In addition, some of those Marriott points charts are extremely favorable in the offseason. For example - a full week in a 2BR in December or January for 400 MVC points (which can be rented for about $300!). It'd be 146 points with DVC.

View attachment 809388
I am not sure of the person's perspective to sell AKV for HHI, but I can offer ours.

DHHIR is a unique resort. It is our home resort. We also love the parks though. (We use our DHHIR points at WDW/DLR)
We have visited all 8 Marriott on HHI and they are all very nice as well. (Family member owns MVC)
Most people that book DHHIR typically Sun-Thurs, since Fri/Sat points are double.

To get certain rooms at DHHIR during certain seasons, you do mostly have to own there.
I am not sure which room or season this OP is trying to get though.

View attachment 809388
In a nutshell, yes DHHIR is worth it, not just (as hhisc16 stated) that it is a "unique resort," but also because there is a lot of nostalgia associated with it. I bought into DVC to take family trips with my kids and future grandkids. The original thinking was to alternate HHI/WDW, but at this point, we no longer want to travel to WDW. The reason we like HHI is because there are NO theme parks. Now that we are pretty close to having grandkids, I'm more excited about being able to take them to DHHIR. Our DVC points will be used for family trips (a 2BR and studio Sunday-Thursday for 235-280 points depending on season) and maybe a solo trip every once in a while. We might look into a Spinnaker contract for our solo spring trips, but we have to stay there first and see.

Though you also need to add the taxes against your VGF contract if you are looking to stay there too, to be fair.

I own small at both, VGF are great SAP.

But the downside is I don't think VDH will long term really be easily bookable to non-owners. It's easy to get into when it's over-declared. However, eventually even if rooms are making it to 7 months I predict there will be way more points attempting to get into VDH than VDH points trying to flow out. Simply because of a lack of really any choice at DLR otherwise. VGC might as well not exist for non-owners. VDH may be a battle for non-owners once it has sold out. The Duo Studios are already pretty much inaccessible.

Though you also need to add the taxes against your VGF contract if you are looking to stay there too, to be fair.
I don’t understand. What taxes? A VDH owner who stays at VGF with VDH points doesn’t pay the VDH TOT, and there’s no tax in Orlando on DVC resort stays paid with any DVC points.

I don’t understand. What taxes?

There is 2.72$ per point in taxes when staying at VDH. It doesn't matter if they are VDH points or VGF points, the taxes are charged for the stay, they are not charged up front to VDH members as part of their annual dues.

So if a VDH member uses their points at SSR, they escape the taxes. Most of the other resorts bake their taxes into dues. It is to the benefit of VDH members globally, it just makes their home resort very expensive to stay at, but takes the sting out because any old SAP also has to face the penalties to stay at VDH.

But as an aside is what I really don't understand are why VDH dues are so, so high... It would make more sense if VGC was the same.

There is 2.72$ per point in taxes when staying at VDH. It doesn't matter if they are VDH points or VGF points, the taxes are charged for the stay, they are not charged up front to VDH members as part of their annual dues.

So if a VDH member uses their points at SSR, they escape the taxes. Most of the other resorts bake their taxes into dues. It is to the benefit of VDH members globally, it just makes their home resort very expensive to stay at, but takes the sting out because any old SAP also has to face the penalties to stay at VDH.

But as an aside is what I really don't understand are why VDH dues are so, so high... It would make more sense if VGC was the same.
Thanks for the explanation, although I’m well aware of the TOT that’s charged on points stays at VDH.

When you said
I thought you meant that when using VDH points to stay at VGF, the VDH owner had to pay the VDH TOT, which is not true. If they use VGF points to stay at VDH, they do have to pay the TOT.

Thanks for the explanation, although I’m well aware of the TOT that’s charged on points stays at VDH.

When you said

I thought you meant that when using VDH points to stay at VGF, the VDH owner had to pay the VDH TOT, which is not true.

Oh no problem, it was confusing. I think because the person I was responding to were implying VDH dues were '13 dollars', but their VGF points were a great deal because they were using them at VDH anyways... so for intellectual honesty their VGF dues are also elevated, if they want to make that argument.

We love staying at HHI for 1-3 nights on the way to and/or from Florida. Every time we consider buying a 50-100 point contract there (to give us an 11-month advantage in order to book longer stays during peak season), those high dues talk us out of it. We're content to book what we can at 7 months using points with much lower MFs.
We were in the same boat - until we found a 50 Point HHI at $65/PP.
So, even with Dues of $11.314 - that's ~$565/Year for 5 Nights in a Studio.
We, too, will be using them to break up the drive to/from Orlando.
The 7-Month window hasn't worked well for us in that effort so, starting with next year, we hope to be more successful getting 2-3 day stays at HHI going back and forth.

Yeah the nuance there is that VB points in the right season/room/week can still be worth something, but overall it’s an incredibly risky buy with minimal upside and potentially meaningful downside.

I’d personally value a VB contract today at $0 given the forward looking risk. I wouldn’t be surprised to see contract prices fall into the $30s this year.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see them start popping up on ebay for even less. It’s a real liability at this point, not an asset.

Actually with the huge increase in dues after only 3 months and the 2.72 Transient tax I think VDH will be the next worthless contract. Yous almost at VB levels already at year 1. Unbelievable. I wouldn't touch a VDH contract with a ten foot pole.
Add in resale restrictions and you might not be too far off. We could see resale restrictions effect that resort in a way they haven’t for Riviera.

Only problem with going from SSR/OKW to epcot is that the skyliner would likely have to go across the golf course -- and then you would have issues with golf balls potentially striking the skyliner cars.

what might actually be worth doing for Disney is to connect the CBR station with Typhoon lagoon, and then from there to disney springs.

That would increase demand further at CBR, AoA, and POP, as well as drive more ticket sales for the water parks -- and make getting to disney springs even easier for folks. Which would further increase sales over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter