2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I am so excited for this race and this trip! I leave 4 weeks from today. :cool1: Now just to begin hoping for no winter weather impacts for travel that day/weekend.

I hope they have a photo opp somewhere with the royal dressed Mickey and Minnie. I’ve seen pictures of them from past years and they’re so cute! During the race itself I also hope they have some good characters out. The one I almost guarantee I would stop for if they’re out they like usually are is the group of princes.
When I ran Princess in 2016 I got a picture with Royal Mickey at the finish line! He was just hanging out congratulating the runners and a CM took the picture. Now I don't think they allow that, but it was my favorite pic of the day.

The first time I wore KT Tape was during a Disney half. I had them tape me at the expo. In general I'm a believer in don't do anything new before a race, but I figured with them taping me at the expo I'd have time to be in it to see if it would be problematic for me before the race. I've used the video's online but I think I get better results when somebody actually tapes me. Also if you are looking for tape around here the drug stores sell KT tape so it's pretty easy to get.

Thank you all for the advice! Good luck to all!

Can anyone recommend a good spot to meetup with others prior to the start of the race? I'm running with several other family members and we'll probably be in the same corral but we're staying at different hotels. I'm thinking that saying we'll meet at the corral will be crazy. TIA!

We normally get in a character line and text to meet because it's normally only one other person meeting us. But we'll use signs or whatnot around us as landmarks to meet up with and the first person is winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Have any of you done race wearing K2 tape for the first time? I want them to tape my arch at expo but worried about wearing it for 13.1 miles before testing it out. Advice?

I will admit that I normally don't do anything new before race day, but a friend talked me in to KT tape before Princess Half in 2016 and I loved it! I'd been having knee issues and it was just what I needed to finish strong.

Another vote for Rock Tape! I had used KT in the past, but I tried Rock Tape at the expo (they did the taping for me) after I had pain from a previous injury return the day before the expo! The extra sticky tape stayed on extremely well, even through showers! I wore it the day of the expo, and for the 5K and 10K, without having to reapply. I had to peel it off after the 10K because it was still sticky (but not painful).

If you have the opportunity I would definitely try it out at home instead of waiting until the expo. There are lots of YouTube videos that demonstrate how to tape.

I do prefer Rock Tape now that I've tried it as well. I was having to reapply KT tape too often, even after having it applied at the expo. I also agree, that for my peace of mind, I would prefer to try something at home, but I did used KT Tape and Rock Tape after an expo and both have done well for me.

Anyone else hoping or thinking we possibly get waivers and corrals late this week? Marathon Weekend got theirs about 3 weeks out, and this coming Thursday is 3 weeks until the expo opens! Whether it’s this week or next, it’s not too long. :banana:

Oh man...maybe the same one as the bib pickup? Hopefully someone else can chime in. I wander around that expo so much, I don’t even remember what is where.
I’ll have to keep an eye out in each building! I really hope Princess Minnie is there because I would love to meet her so bad!

Anyone else hoping or thinking we possibly get waivers and corrals late this week? Marathon Weekend got theirs about 3 weeks out, and this coming Thursday is 3 weeks until the expo opens! Whether it’s this week or next, it’s not too long. :banana:

I’ll have to keep an eye out in each building! I really hope Princess Minnie is there because I would love to meet her so bad!
What building are the characters in? I was at the Star Wars expo and didn’t see any characters. Only went in the buildings where I got the bibs and picked up the tees.

What building are the characters in? I was at the Star Wars expo and didn’t see any characters. Only went in the buildings where I got the bibs and picked up the tees.
Star Wars they were in with official merch they had storm troopers and the Jaba backdrop that was at the start/finish

Hoping we get an event guide ASAP!

While I'm thinking about it - has anyone run Princess (or other Disney races) as a local recently? We moved down to Orlando in September, and I registered for the Princess pretty soon after. We are close to the parks, but I am not sure how to navigate the road closures, how much time it will take/ how much traffic there will be around the parking areas, etc.

Trying to get a good grasp of when I need to leave to get to the corrals on time and all that, since every other time I've run at Disney I've been staying on property!

Hoping we get an event guide ASAP!

While I'm thinking about it - has anyone run Princess (or other Disney races) as a local recently? We moved down to Orlando in September, and I registered for the Princess pretty soon after. We are close to the parks, but I am not sure how to navigate the road closures, how much time it will take/ how much traffic there will be around the parking areas, etc.

Trying to get a good grasp of when I need to leave to get to the corrals on time and all that, since every other time I've run at Disney I've been staying on property!
Local who did princess last year. It kind of depends on where you are coming in from, but they close Epcot Center Drive at East Buena Vista Drive (the exit to Disney Springs) as that is where the corrals are, so you need to take World Drive to get to Epcot. Coming in from I-4 south, you can get onto World Drive directly, from the west you can take Western Way to Osceola Parkway to World Drive, and from the east or north directly to Osceola Parkway. The other road closures are to/from MK which shouldn't effect getting to the race from off-site. Depending on what time your are planning on getting there, the only real backup will be coming in to the Epcot off ramp, but it moves pretty well through the toll booths and to the parking lot. I usually get there around 4:00 - 4:15 and I've not had any issues being held up. The later you try to come, the more potential for back ups you might have.

I got an email from Acclaim on Friday saying they only had 6 more days to sell bibs. I would guess that they won't have the corrals finalized till they stop selling bibs so waivers will likely come out after that. My guess is that it will be early next week.

Local who did princess last year. It kind of depends on where you are coming in from, but they close Epcot Center Drive at East Buena Vista Drive (the exit to Disney Springs) as that is where the corrals are, so you need to take World Drive to get to Epcot. Coming in from I-4 south, you can get onto World Drive directly, from the west you can take Western Way to Osceola Parkway to World Drive, and from the east or north directly to Osceola Parkway. The other road closures are to/from MK which shouldn't effect getting to the race from off-site. Depending on what time your are planning on getting there, the only real backup will be coming in to the Epcot off ramp, but it moves pretty well through the toll booths and to the parking lot. I usually get there around 4:00 - 4:15 and I've not had any issues being held up. The later you try to come, the more potential for back ups you might have.

We are pretty close behind MK, so sounds like I may be taking a little bit of a round about way, but seems way better than getting up at 2:30 to get a Disney bus :P

I got an email from Acclaim on Friday saying they only had 6 more days to sell bibs. I would guess that they won't have the corrals finalized till they stop selling bibs so waivers will likely come out after that. My guess is that it will be early next week.

I just signed up yesterday (business trip that took me too close) ... I was told that my ‘proof of time’ would still be evaluated since I just registered

So yes, I second the bibs being a few weeks out.

I just signed up yesterday (business trip that took me too close) ... I was told that my ‘proof of time’ would still be evaluated since I just registered

So yes, I second the bibs being a few weeks out.
when I got the email I wound up switching my son and I’s 10k bibs for challenge bibs. Given the price drop, and the fact that we’re already there, I couldn’t resist it.

DS and I will have to move it though as we’ve got an 9 am reservation for Tonga toast.

This is my husband and I's first 10k, ever. We have been training for months, and super excited!
Hoping for some guidance from experienced Disney runners! Note, we are going to be in the last corral, since this is our first run and have no proof of time.

1) Are buses the only option for transportation? We are staying at a monorail resort, and didn't know if that is an option too.
2) What time should we leave BLT?
3) We are having Kids Nite Out keep our 2YO, while we are running. We need to know what time we should have them there. They can be there at any time, since it is 24/7, but we have no experience to know when we need to be leaving!
4) Should we go to the expo on Thursday or Friday? We truly have the option to do either since we are not doing any park days before the race.
5) How long do we think will in the entire event will take? I know this depends on your pace, but right now we know it will probably take us an 1hr - 1hr 15 minutes to run.. but with transportation, and finish line, etc.. what does it all add up to be?

THANK YOU ALL.. in advance, for the help!!

This is my husband and I's first 10k, ever. We have been training for months, and super excited!
Hoping for some guidance from experienced Disney runners! Note, we are going to be in the last corral, since this is our first run and have no proof of time.

1) Are buses the only option for transportation? We are staying at a monorail resort, and didn't know if that is an option too.
2) What time should we leave BLT?
3) We are having Kids Nite Out keep our 2YO, while we are running. We need to know what time we should have them there. They can be there at any time, since it is 24/7, but we have no experience to know when we need to be leaving!
4) Should we go to the expo on Thursday or Friday? We truly have the option to do either since we are not doing any park days before the race.
5) How long do we think will in the entire event will take? I know this depends on your pace, but right now we know it will probably take us an 1hr - 1hr 15 minutes to run.. but with transportation, and finish line, etc.. what does it all add up to be?

THANK YOU ALL.. in advance, for the help!!

1. I would check when you arrive because things could change. Historically the monorails haven't been running early enough to get to the start for the 10k. I know on Marathon weekend they run the monorails for the half and full and have bus transportation for the 5 and 10k. I think they may be running at the finish though depending how long you take.
2. You'll get a wide variety of answers here for that. It depends, Do you want pictures with Characters before the race? Do you want to be at the front of your corral? If you answer yes to those I would aim to be on the first bus. If you don't care about that you could shoot to be on one of the later buses. I think last year runners were supposed to be on a bus by 4 am. I am paranoid so walking from BLT to the bus I'd probably leave my room at 3:30 or before.
4. The expo will probably be more crowded on Thursday, but if you have specific merch you want I would try and go then. If you don't care you could go Friday.
5. It will depend on when you start. Looking at the results from last year for a small subset of people for people in the 1:10 to 1:15 range I see clock time finishes that range from 1:15 -2:02 minutes. I would estimate at least 30-45 minutes to get through the finish chutes and get on a bus/ monorail and get back to the Contemporary.

I know this is the 2019 board but I've been watching it with a friend and we are excited to sign up for the 2020 race weekend. I was planning to do the 5K and her the 10K. I am a COMPLETELY INEXPERIENCED athlete of any kind. I'm a certified couch potato. But - with this on the books, I will get to it!

Unfortunately, we realized today we couldn't get there in time for me to run the 5K - I have to do the 10K. That sounds scary! I will put in the training - but.......when race weekend comes around, what happens if I have to walk a lot of it? THANKS and have fun everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter