2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I put a foldable nylon bag in my flip belt at last year’s Dark Side and it worked wonders

I've put a string backpack like the one I got at Princess in 2016 in the pocket of my sparkle skirt in the past. But I often forget to include it. If you have the space it's handy to have. My BFF has even brought a plastic grocery bag like one you get at Target or Walmart.

This will be my first HM for Princess. Where would you dinner the day before? Plan is a light day around HS as we haven’t seen TSL yet, then earlier dinner and back to hotel. Dinner is for me, DH (both running), my parents and kids (ages 5 & 7). We have the std dining plan but aren’t opposed to paying out of pocket

1. Il Mulino
(Are the boats open to get to Swan? Not sure I’d want to walk. Menu looks great, not sure if kid friendly)

2. Terralina Crafted Italian
(Could possibly have DH and I visit the void while here as well. Staying at POFQ so getting home from here is super easy and we could head back and let my folks stay a bit with the kids if they want)

3. Via Napoli
(We could only get a reservation for 2 here so would be DH and I. Would find something else for my folks and kids. I’m more pasta than pizza but wouldn’t be a deal breaker.)

TIA

I just ate at Il Mulino last weekend before the Marathon. The food is very good and there were lots of kids there. Yes, boats are running from HS to the Epcot resorts. It’s a relaxing and scenic ride. Swan/Dolphin is the first stop.

Unfortunately, going offsite isn’t an option as we won’t have car seats or a car. I forgot about Riverside, will keep that in mind, was hoping for table service though. I’m guessing the food courts will be a mad house?

It depends on when you’re eating. I am usually eating dinner the night before a race when people are still in the parks!

I put a foldable nylon bag in my flip belt at last year’s Dark Side and it worked wonders

Thats a fab idea!!

I've put a string backpack like the one I got at Princess in 2016 in the pocket of my sparkle skirt in the past. But I often forget to include it. If you have the space it's handy to have. My BFF has even brought a plastic grocery bag like one you get at Target or Walmart.

lol..brilliant!

I could really use some advice.

I’m training for the half marathon (we’ll also be doing the 5k). This will be my first Half; we did the 5k and 10k princesses last year). I’ve started having pain after running at the top front of the pelvis on the left side. Google tells me it’s the ILiotibial band and to ice and rest it (and that it could be the result of an uneven gait). I’ve been waiting a few days until symptoms are gone before running again. Same problem returns.

This is new. I’ve never had pain there before. Any suggestions about what I can change? I’m panicky that I won’t be ready for the half. It has happened twice now and it even hurts to walk.

Last edited:
Did anyone else read the rumors that this race is going to be canceled/moved/rerouted due to road closures in Feb/March 2019? I think it’s just internet rumors now, but the it spooked me out of a DVC point rental I was seeking.

I wish and I wish they would let you change your races. So not ready to run a half this year. I will press on hoping to finish. This will be my 2nd Disney half and 3rd all together. Good luck to all running.

I’m training for the half marathon (we’ll also be doing the 5k). This will be my first Half; we did the 5k and 10k princesses last year). I’ve started having pain after running at the top front of the pelvis on the left side. Google tells me it’s the ILiotibial band and to ice and rest it (and that it could be the result of an uneven gait). I’ve been waiting a few days until symptoms are gone before running again. Same problem returns.

This is new. I’ve never had pain there before. Any suggestions about what I can change? I’m panicky that I won’t be ready for the half. It has happened twice now and it even hurts to walk.

I personally would make sure my chiro checked it out.

Also look to your shoes. It’s possible your current shoes need to be replaced. If so, do that earlier rather than later!

If it is the IT band, you could try a strap you should be able to get at any running store or amazon for $20-$30. It wraps around your leg at about two or three inches above the knee and it helps stabilize the IT band. However, almost all the runners I know who deal with IT band syndrome have pain in the knee. It could be something else.

Please go to a doctor and take this seriously. Don’t panic, but do listen to your body.

Ok. So if it is IT band then my usual course of action is this: rest and ice to deal with inflammation and pain, then stretch and strengthen. An easy one is stand with the affected leg crossed behind you and touch your toes. You should feel a stretch along that outer hip. Or seated yoga pose with affected leg, knee bent and foot on floor, crossed over other straightened leg. Twist to side of affected leg.(yeah, odd descriptions, but you can probably google!)

Strenghtening your hips and quads to ensure proper muscle usage/support is also a factor. Simple squats or reverse lunges for quads, and hip hikes are good for adductor strengthening.

For me, it takes time to resolve (weeks, not days) but every one is different. Hope you can resolve it soon.

Unfortunately, going offsite isn’t an option as we won’t have car seats or a car. I forgot about Riverside, will keep that in mind, was hoping for table service though. I’m guessing the food courts will be a mad house?
I’d go with Il Mulino. Authentic Italian. Really well prepared pasta dishes.

As others have said, get yourself to a physiotherapist and/or doctor right away! You don't want to mess with an injury this close to race day. Google isn't always right, as sometimes what may feel like a knee issue could actually be a hip or back issue. Treating the symptoms may not fix the cause. See an expert.

Get to a doctor. My hip issue turned out to be bursitis.

I’ve started having pain after running at the top front of the pelvis on the left side.

I had pain in the same area, and it also hurt when walking. I thought it was a hip flexor issue... I started doing dynamic stretching before running, and more hip stretches after running. Using KT tape on my hip helped too. I haven't had any problems with it since.

Hey everyone!
This is probably a dumb question. Do they sell guys merch at the expo? I saw a Facebook post that said they didn’t and it kinda surprised me

Get to a doctor. My hip issue turned out to be bursitis.

Same here...PLUS ITBS. I just carried on despite the pain, and didn't even slow down or really take a break. I am still not entirely the same.

Hey everyone!
This is probably a dumb question. Do they sell guys merch at the expo? I saw a Facebook post that said they didn’t and it kinda surprised me

Yes. It's not as plentiful as the women's merch, but there is some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter