2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

This will be my 5th year running this Half but first time staying at a monorail resort! We're staying at the Contemporary, so do I need to take the monorail in the morning or is there a bus? My husband will have our 5 month old so the Contemporary is perfect for him to walk over to MK in the morning!

Reminder: now is the time to get those longer training runs in! Build up to a long run of 90% of your longest race distance before Valentine's Day. Whatever the weather, get out there and enjoy your run.

We are here to encourage each other. I have so much work left to get there, but I'm going to do it! So will you.

But for today... costume finalisation and a gym workout. Long run on Sunday.

Yes to this!! Ran 11 miles last Wednesday, the day after I went skiing, and decided that was excellent Challenge training as I was running on already sore, tired legs :) My next long run is next week and I hope the snow isn't too heavy for it!

Today I finished my costume decision for the 10K and half- woohoo!

Can anyone who has done a PHM speak to what the crowd will be like in corral C? I know there are a few bottlenecks on the course. Will being in C make those any easier or should we expect to walk them? Thx!

I ran in corral C in 2016 and it felt very crowded through the castle, which was to be expected. The first few photo stops were short lines and then they started to get longer (I stopped for almost every single one that year!)

I’m so glad (I’m not sure that’s the right word lol) that I’m not the only one struggling with my training. I donated my kidney in March and have just been stuck in a rut training wise since then. Right after I got ok enough to start back running, my girlfriend got diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma (she only has one more treatment left!) so I have 0 energy to run most days. Anyone have any tricks and tips to get me in semi-decent shape by race time?

I'd be happy to help. I'd just need some background information to pull something together:

1) What training plan were you following?
2) What training have you done the last three weeks?
3) What was your peak week mileage in the last three months?
4) What's a recent race result that you feel is a fair assessment of current fitness and when did it occur?
5) What is your max availability on every day of the week? Any planned/needed time off between now and the race?
6) Which race are you running?

I think that would be enough information for me to throw together something short and quick. Just let me know.

I'd be happy to help. I'd just need some background information to pull something together:

1) What training plan were you following?
2) What training have you done the last three weeks?
3) What was your peak week mileage in the last three months?
4) What's a recent race result that you feel is a fair assessment of current fitness and when did it occur?
5) What is your max availability on every day of the week? Any planned/needed time off between now and the race?
6) Which race are you running?

I think that would be enough information for me to throw together something short and quick. Just let me know.

Thank you so much!!!
1. I was doing the Galloway race plan
2. I’ve been doing 30ish minutes twice a week and last Saturday I did 6 miles.
3. About 10 miles
4. I did a 10K in November with a time of 1:22, but I’ve gotten an inhaler since then and it’s helped on my runs a lot.
5.Weekdays I can usually do 45-60 minutes and weekends I can do basically anything.
6. Well I’m doing the 5K with my girlfriend as a celebration walk for her beating cancer and I’m doing the challenge. So I’m crazy and doing all of them.

Thank you so much!!!
1. I was doing the Galloway race plan
2. I’ve been doing 30ish minutes twice a week and last Saturday I did 6 miles.
3. About 10 miles
4. I did a 10K in November with a time of 1:22, but I’ve gotten an inhaler since then and it’s helped on my runs a lot.
5.Weekdays I can usually do 45-60 minutes and weekends I can do basically anything.
6. Well I’m doing the 5K with my girlfriend as a celebration walk for her beating cancer and I’m doing the challenge. So I’m crazy and doing all of them.

Great info! A few followups-

-Do you reasonably believe you could run a mile in 11:24 minutes? Faster? Slower?
-Are you run/walking or continuous running? If run/walking, what is your walking pace?

Some options on pacing under the assumption that a 1:22 10k is your current fitness assessment. I used a guesstimate of a 20 min/mile walking pace. I'm looking for a comfortable walking pace and less so a "walking with a purpose pace".

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 6.30.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 6.30.42 PM.png

Great info! A few followups-

-Do you reasonably believe you could run a mile in 11:24 minutes? Faster? Slower?
-Are you run/walking or continuous running? If run/walking, what is your walking pace?

Some options on pacing under the assumption that a 1:22 10k is your current fitness assessment. I used a guesstimate of a 20 min/mile walking pace. I'm looking for a comfortable walking pace and less so a "walking with a purpose pace".

View attachment 375652

View attachment 375650

I’m averaging about a 12:45 mile right now but I’m not really pushing it too hard. I’m probably being super careful but I guess that’s better than being not careful? I have no idea what my official walking pace is but when I walk my pup every morning we do a mile and about a quarter in 20-25 minutes depending on how nosey she is. I am running/walking. I’m doing run 45 and walk 1:15 with some run 1 walk 1 thrown in.

I’m averaging about a 12:45 mile right now but I’m not really pushing it too hard. I’m probably being super careful but I guess that’s better than being not careful? I have no idea what my official walking pace is but when I walk my pup every morning we do a mile and about a quarter in 20-25 minutes depending on how nosey she is. I am running/walking. I’m doing run 45 and walk 1:15 with some run 1 walk 1 thrown in.

Definitely agree that slower is better. The HM is 90-95% aerobic, which means slow running is king. It's counterintuitive, but almost all of your training should feel like you're barely trying. So if that's the case, then you're close to the right pace.

I know it seems like a lot of questions, but I'm just making sure I put all the pieces together.

-Have you done an average pace of 12:45 longer than 3.1 miles recently?
-Can you describe to me what your breathing feels like during the 12:45 average pace?
-Can you provide me the splits of all the miles from the recent 6 mile run and describe how that felt?
-Is there a reason you've chosen 45/75 and 60/60 splits? Is there a reason you're not doing 30 seconds like is Galloway's standard recommendation (not always, but usually)?
-Could you run a mile in 8:29?

Definitely agree that slower is better. The HM is 90-95% aerobic, which means slow running is king. It's counterintuitive, but almost all of your training should feel like you're barely trying. So if that's the case, then you're close to the right pace.

I know it seems like a lot of questions, but I'm just making sure I put all the pieces together.

-Can you describe to me what your breathing feels like during the 12:45 average pace?
-Can you provide me the splits of all the miles from the recent 6 mile run and describe how that felt?
-Is there a reason you've chosen 45/75 and 60/60 splits? Is there a reason you're not doing 30 seconds like is Galloway's standard recommendation (not always, but usually)?

Ask all the questions you want!!
My average pace for my 6 miles was close to 13:00. My breathing is actually pretty good, especially since I started using my inhaler. It’s good enough I can usually sing along with my music, which is probably unfortunate for everyone else. My splits were 12:30, 12:37, 13:12, 12:53, 13:02 and 13:24. It felt okay. My legs were a little sore the next day but nothing too bad. I was using that ratio because it felt right. The 30/1:30 felt too slow and the 60/60 felt too much so I split it. My best mile was 8:15, but I only did that mile and it was a week before my surgery so I’m not too sure I can do that again.

My average pace for my 6 miles was close to 13:00. My breathing is actually pretty good, especially since I started using my inhaler. It’s good enough I can usually sing along with my music, which is probably unfortunate for everyone else. My splits were 12:30, 12:37, 13:12, 12:53, 13:02 and 13:24. It felt okay. My legs were a little sore the next day but nothing too bad. I was using that ratio because it felt right. The 30/1:30 felt too slow and the 60/60 felt too much so I split it. My best mile was 8:15, but I only did that mile and it was a week before my surgery so I’m not too sure I can do that again.

Perfect!

And the fade you saw in the 6 miler with the second half splits being slower than the first half. Would you say that occurred because of elevation changes, environmental changes, or due to fatigue? If I had asked you right after your finished that 6 miler to run one more mile at a 13:00, could you have done it with a similarly still easy effort?

No worries on the interval splits. It would be a 30 second walk instead of 60 or 75 seconds. Galloways current research supports the notion that reducing the walking interval is beneficial to reducing injury and ability to maintain pace in the latter half. The unspoken trick to reducing the walk to 30 seconds is you'll find that in many cases your run pace needs to slow down for you to find it to be a maintainable pace over the duration of the run. Thus it's one way to find that balance between just enough rest and pulling your pace just a touch slower. His +2 min LR should exist in an almost completely aerobic region both in race pace and walk pace.

I think we're getting very close. But I'm confident we can find that balance for you in these last 5 weeks that can help prepare you enough, staying injury free, and leaving you feeling good come race day.

Perfect!

And the fade you saw in the 6 miler with the second half splits being slower than the first half. Would you say that occurred because of elevation changes, environmental changes, or due to fatigue? If I had asked you right after your finished that 6 miler to run one more mile at a 13:00, could you have done it with a similarly still easy effort?

No worries on the interval splits. It would be a 30 second walk instead of 60 or 75 seconds. Galloways current research supports the notion that reducing the walking interval is beneficial to reducing injury and ability to maintain pace in the latter half. The unspoken trick to reducing the walk to 30 seconds is you'll find that in many cases your run pace needs to slow down for you to find it to be a maintainable pace over the duration of the run. Thus it's one way to find that balance between just enough rest and pulling your pace just a touch slower. His +2 min LR should exist in an almost completely aerobic region both in race pace and walk pace.

I think we're getting very close. But I'm confident we can find that balance for you in these last 5 weeks that can help prepare you enough, staying injury free, and leaving you feeling good come race day.

The route I run, the last two miles have close to 0 shade and no breeze so I’m usually just hot by then. My 6 mile run was on a warmer day so that should be why I slowed down. I think I could have done another one. If not at 13, definitely at 13:30 or so. I’ve done a couple of half’s before at Disney, Dark Side and Avengers in 2017 (because the only thing that gets me to run that much is Disney magic) and I finished between 3:10 and 3:20 both times.

I am such a worrier and like to have all possible situations planned. I am doing the challenge this year and started to wonder after the half where do you pick up your challenge medal? Here is hoping I complete the half b/c my training hasn't been going as planned. I do like reading that there are others who are having the same training luck as I am. Thank you everyone its good to hear.

There will be a sign showing you where to go after you cross the finish line and get your half medal. Don't worry. You'll see it. As for training...yes, a lot of us are struggling, but just be careful. I went into a half in 2015 underprepared, kept pushing past nagging pain, and I'm still not the same. Do your best to get yourself back on track, listen to your body, and stop or slow down if you need to on race day. No medal on earth is worth doing damage to your body.

I’m so glad (I’m not sure that’s the right word lol) that I’m not the only one struggling with my training. I donated my kidney in March and have just been stuck in a rut training wise since then. Right after I got ok enough to start back running, my girlfriend got diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma (she only has one more treatment left!) so I have 0 energy to run most days. Anyone have any tricks and tips to get me in semi-decent shape by race time?

God bless you for donating your kidney, and I'm so sorry about your girlfriend. I will definitely pray for her.

Slower is definitely better in distance running. You're not qualifying for the Olympics or Boston here. There's no need to go too quickly, unless you're well trained and comfortable with that pace.

I would consider shortening your intervals. I have done :15/:15, :30/:30, and :30/:15. Anything over 30 seconds is way too long for me. You want to have a comfortable pace. Yes, running is hard, but you don't want to feel like you're not going to make it. Breathing and heart rate should be steady. You should be able to speak without too much difficulty.

The route I run, the last two miles have close to 0 shade and no breeze so I’m usually just hot by then. My 6 mile run was on a warmer day so that should be why I slowed down. I think I could have done another one. If not at 13, definitely at 13:30 or so. I’ve done a couple of half’s before at Disney, Dark Side and Avengers in 2017 (because the only thing that gets me to run that much is Disney magic) and I finished between 3:10 and 3:20 both times.

The heat can definitely make a difference. You can and should slow down if it gets hot. It is entirely possible you will encounter heat and humidity on race day, so be mindful of that.

ETA: I know you've run before, but I'm saying this for others who are less experienced as well. Plus, I'm not sure if you've run undertrained before, so that can make a difference. It's almost like going at it as a newbie!

There will be a sign showing you where to go after you cross the finish line and get your half medal. Don't worry. You'll see it. As for training...yes, a lot of us are struggling, but just be careful. I went into a half in 2015 underprepared, kept pushing past nagging pain, and I'm still not the same. Do your best to get yourself back on track, listen to your body, and stop or slow down if you need to on race day. No medal on earth is worth doing damage to your body.

God bless you for donating your kidney, and I'm so sorry about your girlfriend. I will definitely pray for her.

Slower is definitely better in distance running. You're not qualifying for the Olympics or Boston here. There's no need to go too quickly, unless you're well trained and comfortable with that pace.

I would consider shortening your intervals. I have done :15/:15, :30/:30, and :30/:15. Anything over 30 seconds is way too long for me. You want to have a comfortable pace. Yes, running is hard, but you don't want to feel like you're not going to make it. Breathing and heart rate should be steady. You should be able to speak without too much difficulty.

The heat can definitely make a difference. You can and should slow down if it gets hot. It is entirely possible you will encounter heat and humidity on race day, so be mindful of that.

ETA: I know you've run before, but I'm saying this for others who are less experienced as well. Plus, I'm not sure if you've run undertrained before, so that can make a difference. It's almost like going at it as a newbie!

Thank you so much for your advice!! Yeah, my first half was the dark side in 2017 and it was so sticky. Thankfully I’m from the south so I’m somewhat use to the humidity, but it’s still awful. I’m definitely not looking to break any records, I just want to finish and know I gave it my best shot. And thank you so much for your prayers!!

Thank you so much for your advice!! Yeah, my first half was the dark side in 2017 and it was so sticky. Thankfully I’m from the south so I’m somewhat use to the humidity, but it’s still awful. I’m definitely not looking to break any records, I just want to finish and know I gave it my best shot. And thank you so much for your prayers!!

At least you have some experience with it! I live in Northern California! We do not have humidity up here. I thought I was going to pass out during my first half. Last year, people actually were passing out. I have had dehydration issues in the past, so I worked really hard to stay hydrated. I started hydrating 2-3 days before I left home, and made sure I drank a certain amount of water every day, including electrolyte replacements. I actually felt great, so I guess it worked.

You are welcome. I like to think we're all friends here, to a degree! Please keep us updated about you and your girlfriend if you'd like.

Perfect! Here's what I came up with (see attached PDF).

I'm assessing your fitness based on two things. Your 8:15 mile pre-surgery (and the feeling you're not there yet) and your ability to do a 13:00 min/mile at 6 miles in warm conditions relatively easily. I'm taking a stab to say that you are likely a 8:46 miler right now, a 1:03 10k, and a 2:19 HM runner. Those longer distances are when fully trained and you are unlikely to be in that condition come race day. However, with that being said, I train my runners at their current fitness physiologically relevant paces and I'm thinking we're really close to your estimate.

The paces prescribed are based on ideal conditions. I put the estimated T+D (temp+dew point) of your 6 miler at 142 (or around a 72 F degree run with a dew point of 70). So nice, hot and humid. When the T+D rises, the ideal pacing shifts as well. So the easy runs should be around a 13:00 min/mile on an ideal 100 T+D day (like a 60 F with dew point of 40). But when the T+D rises, I'd like to see you slow down the intended pace. So if a T+D of 140 occurs, then add a 3% adjustment so that the pace goal becomes 13:28 instead. If it all gets too confusing, then remember that effort is king. Whether it's a nice cool day or a super hot day, the easy run should "feel" the same. Easy. If easy doesn't "feel" easy, then it isn't easy. Slow down. Ideally, we see nearly even splits on all runs outside of external factors and extreme changes. So if I know that at 8am my run will be T+D 100 and at 10am a T+D of 160, I set my pacing for the whole run based on the worst expected condition (T+D 160). In addition, these paces are based on a similar terrain to the 8:15 mile and 6 mile run. So if the 6 mile run was flat, but the upcoming 7 mile run is hilly, then the pace goal should slow down again. Adjust the pace to match the right effort. Here's the pacing adjustment chart:

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 8.09.23 AM.png

Next was determining your current training load and figuring out how much we could increase it by in 5 weeks. Based on the numbers, we're looking at increasing the weekly training load by about 21-27 easy minutes per week. So with 10 miles (and an estimated 130 min) last week, then you're looking to be around 156 min and 12 miles this week. Since you're running the challenge with three consecutive days (and because I'm a big believer in balance in training) I've moved your 3 days per week to 4 days per week. So the training load stays appropriate, but reducing the recovery time period between runs slightly. In the second week (1/21), I'm adding back in the longer training run, but adding in a goal HM Tempo fast finish. I'm doing this to help reinforce the mindset of start slow, stay even, and finish fast. Drop back down in week 3 to allow some skeletal/muscular recovery, and then build back up for the peak the week of 2/4. Based on the calculations, I feel as if this is as high as I can take you in this short time frame and still maintain that balance between enough, but not too much. It's below an ideal situation when fully trained, but I still think it puts you in a position to succeed on race day.

For the race weekend, I've placed all the paces at easy.

Here is the longer form of generic instructions: How I write a custom training plan (instructions) *The run/walk instructions are about half-way through that post.

Questions/concerns? Requests for changes? I write these plans to fit around the runner's life not the other way around. So feel free to request changes because I want you to feel comfortable with the plan.

I've assessed your current capabilities to be around a 1:03 10k and 2:19 HM. But with your old mile PR around 8:15, that would be a 59 min 10k or 2:10 HM. If reaching for those time goals are of interest to you, then send me a PM after the Princess weekend. We could come up with something to get you to those times based on your life and schedule. If you're not interested in reaching for time goals, then that's fine too. I just want to help you reach whatever your personal goals are because to me all running goals are important no matter what they are.

Attachments

• 2wordsforyou HM 2019_01_15.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 18
Perfect! Here's what I came up with (see attached PDF).

I'm assessing your fitness based on two things. Your 8:15 mile pre-surgery (and the feeling you're not there yet) and your ability to do a 13:00 min/mile at 6 miles in warm conditions relatively easily. I'm taking a stab to say that you are likely a 8:46 miler right now, a 1:03 10k, and a 2:19 HM runner. Those longer distances are when fully trained and you are unlikely to be in that condition come race day. However, with that being said, I train my runners at their current fitness physiologically relevant paces and I'm thinking we're really close to your estimate.

The paces prescribed are based on ideal conditions. I put the estimated T+D (temp+dew point) of your 6 miler at 142 (or around a 72 F degree run with a dew point of 70). So nice, hot and humid. When the T+D rises, the ideal pacing shifts as well. So the easy runs should be around a 13:00 min/mile on an ideal 100 T+D day (like a 60 F with dew point of 40). But when the T+D rises, I'd like to see you slow down the intended pace. So if a T+D of 140 occurs, then add a 3% adjustment so that the pace goal becomes 13:28 instead. If it all gets too confusing, then remember that effort is king. Whether it's a nice cool day or a super hot day, the easy run should "feel" the same. Easy. If easy doesn't "feel" easy, then it isn't easy. Slow down. Ideally, we see nearly even splits on all runs outside of external factors and extreme changes. So if I know that at 8am my run will be T+D 100 and at 10am a T+D of 160, I set my pacing for the whole run based on the worst expected condition (T+D 160). In addition, these paces are based on a similar terrain to the 8:15 mile and 6 mile run. So if the 6 mile run was flat, but the upcoming 7 mile run is hilly, then the pace goal should slow down again. Adjust the pace to match the right effort. Here's the pacing adjustment chart:

View attachment 375718

Next was determining your current training load and figuring out how much we could increase it by in 5 weeks. Based on the numbers, we're looking at increasing the weekly training load by about 21-27 easy minutes per week. So with 10 miles (and an estimated 130 min) last week, then you're looking to be around 156 min and 12 miles this week. Since you're running the challenge with three consecutive days (and because I'm a big believer in balance in training) I've moved your 3 days per week to 4 days per week. So the training load stays appropriate, but reducing the recovery time period between runs slightly. In the second week (1/21), I'm adding back in the longer training run, but adding in a goal HM Tempo fast finish. I'm doing this to help reinforce the mindset of start slow, stay even, and finish fast. Drop back down in week 3 to allow some skeletal/muscular recovery, and then build back up for the peak the week of 2/4. Based on the calculations, I feel as if this is as high as I can take you in this short time frame and still maintain that balance between enough, but not too much. It's below an ideal situation when fully trained, but I still think it puts you in a position to succeed on race day.

For the race weekend, I've placed all the paces at easy.

Here is the longer form of generic instructions: How I write a custom training plan (instructions) *The run/walk instructions are about half-way through that post.

Questions/concerns? Requests for changes? I write these plans to fit around the runner's life not the other way around. So feel free to request changes because I want you to feel comfortable with the plan.

I've assessed your current capabilities to be around a 1:03 10k and 2:19 HM. But with your old mile PR around 8:15, that would be a 59 min 10k or 2:10 HM. If reaching for those time goals are of interest to you, then send me a PM after the Princess weekend. We could come up with something to get you to those times based on your life and schedule. If you're not interested in reaching for time goals, then that's fine too. I just want to help you reach whatever your personal goals are because to me all running goals are important no matter what they are.
This looks amazing!!! Thank you so so much!

@DopeyBadger you are an amazing human.

Appreciate it. @2wordsforyou is an amazing human for donating a kidney. It's the least I could do to help.

This looks amazing!!! Thank you so so much!

Happy to hear. Please reach out if something comes up along the way. I'm here if you need me. Although I don't check this thread often. So PM or @ me.

Thanks to you for making me aware. Happy to help!

Will the one mile fun run be four laps around the track? Or is there more of a "scenic route" around the ESPN center?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter