2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Can anyone who has done a PHM speak to what the crowd will be like in corral C? I know there are a few bottlenecks on the course. Will being in C make those any easier or should we expect to walk them? Thx!

Omg! That’s crazy! I just want the bib and no merchandise. I have DH and my 6 and 8 year old. I think the plan might be to Uber there from Pop and then Uber to AK from the expo.
How long should I allot for the expo if I really just want to get the bib and get out?

Depends on when you go. I'd suggest going in the late afternoon if you just want your bib.

Can anyone who has done a PHM speak to what the crowd will be like in corral C? I know there are a few bottlenecks on the course. Will being in C make those any easier or should we expect to walk them? Thx!

You are much faster than me, so I can't say for sure. It does seem like the further up you go, the clearer it would be. I was in a later corral last year, because I was even slower then. I vowed to never do that again.

Question...what are the food options at the expo? I usually eat the cheese plate and now I can’t eat dairy!

Ugh this cold weather causing sleet and what not is hampering my training. Did get in 6 miles yesterday before the sleet but nothing today. I don't mind the cold but cold and rain I'm not chancing unless it's an official race with nice bling lol.

I have DH and my 6 and 8 year old. I think the plan might be to Uber there from Pop and then Uber to AK from the expo.

But why the rideshare from pop?

I’ve never timed us, and we always buy stuff, and each year of princess the expo has felt totally different, so I have no timing ideas. I would just go on my own and let the fam start AK without me.

I’ve never timed us, and we always buy stuff, and each year of princess the expo has felt totally different, so I have no timing ideas. I would just go on my own and let the fam start AK without me.
I wasn’t sure how often the buses run to the expo. I figured we’d be waiting a long time and kind of just wanted to get there and get out...

I went out yesterday to do a half hour and ended up just continuing, and finally got my 4.25 run in that I’d scheduled for 12/31. My training schedule is a mess right now lol.

And after that run with this cold messing with my lungs plus the cold air with exercise, I was very pleased to find out that the long-awaited return of OTC Primatene Mist had actually happened. A sweaty Walgreens stop and $30 later I was able to open my airways without needing the doctor/gatekeeper. I’m so happy.

Question...what are the food options at the expo? I usually eat the cheese plate and now I can’t eat dairy!

I’ve never purchased food there so I don’t know, but no dairy? Ugh.

Cousin and I usually grab a snack bar and then go to Disney Springs or a resort after to eat.

Ugh this cold weather causing sleet and what not is hampering my training. Did get in 6 miles yesterday before the sleet but nothing today. I don't mind the cold but cold and rain I'm not chancing unless it's an official race with nice bling lol.

Brr.

I went out yesterday to do a half hour and ended up just continuing, and finally got my 4.25 run in that I’d scheduled for 12/31. My training schedule is a mess right now lol.

And after that run with this cold messing with my lungs plus the cold air with exercise, I was very pleased to find out that the long-awaited return of OTC Primatene Mist had actually happened. A sweaty Walgreens stop and $30 later I was able to open my airways without needing the doctor/gatekeeper. I’m so happy.

I’ve never purchased food there so I don’t know, but no dairy? Ugh.

Cousin and I usually grab a snack bar and then go to Disney Springs or a resort after to eat.

Brr.

I’m glad things seem to be looking up for your training (and your body)!

The dairy thing isn’t as bad as I though it would be, but it’s kind of annoying when traveling or ordering out. You have no idea how many things have dairy until you can’t have it.

So I’m a new runner and am doing the 5k. I have switched from treadmill to outside running and it always seems to be harder for me to run outside than it is to run on the treadmill. I switched to outside because all of the running sites said to do that; however, it’s now snowing here and will most likely not be feasible to run outdoors due to icy conditions.
Soooo, my question is, if I’m forced to do treadmill trainings, how much should I increase the distance? (I’ve only been doing 3.2 miles since that’s a 5k.)

So I’m a new runner and am doing the 5k. I have switched from treadmill to outside running and it always seems to be harder for me to run outside than it is to run on the treadmill. I switched to outside because all of the running sites said to do that; however, it’s now snowing here and will most likely not be feasible to run outdoors due to icy conditions.
Soooo, my question is, if I’m forced to do treadmill trainings, how much should I increase the distance? (I’ve only been doing 3.2 miles since that’s a 5k.)

I have no useful advice - the 2017 Princess 5k was my first and only race. That year, it was mild in Jan and I was only working part time, so I was able to get in most of my runs outside. This time, it's dark when I get home and sooooooo cold that all of my runs have been on the treadmill. All I know is I go a lot slower on the treadmill!

Shouldn’t be too bad depending on your picture stops. Corral C is still very small compared to the later ones. I ran from corral C for Wine & Dine and has zero to just a couple minute wait for character stops.

Omg! That’s crazy! I just want the bib and no merchandise. I have DH and my 6 and 8 year old. I think the plan might be to Uber there from Pop and then Uber to AK from the expo.
How long should I allot for the expo if I really just want to get the bib and get out?

I wasn’t sure how often the buses run to the expo. I figured we’d be waiting a long time and kind of just wanted to get there and get out...

I stayed at Pop last year and I found the ride there to be pretty quick. Experiences may vary, but the bus took us straight to the expo and it was a lot closer than I thought it would be. I spent hours at the expo, but that was because I spent a lot of time in the merch building, at the vendor expo, and taking photos with the medal banners. The quickest parts were getting the bib (especially if you bring your waiver and don't need to print and sign in there) and picking up the t-shirts. There were no lines for either process. I think if you are only doing that you really shouldn't need too much time, but I'm not sure how long.

If it were me I'd take the bus from Pop to the expo, because it's not an extra charge and it's not far from ESPN. I agree with @bumbershoot on going on your own and meeting your family at AK, but even if everyone goes together I don't think you'll be there long. If you don't mind carrying your bib and t-shirts you can take an uber to AK from the expo to save time by not having to make an additional resort stop. On our way back from the expo the bus stopped at AOA first before going back to Pop, so it was a longer ride.

I have done quite a few rundisney events over the last 5 1/2 years. The quickest I have picked up my bib and shirt has been 15 minutes. That is from getting out of my car and back into it. Have done that several times when I have no interest in picking up any merch.

I get it; it used to be icy where I learnt to run and it's tough. I ran outside anyway, but that's not for everyone. I do like the warm cozy treadmill some days, even where I live now, where the weather is almost always nice. It's easier not to worry about injuries on a treadmill, too. And really, we're doing this for FUN, so why not enjoy it! Treadmill training can be great for you if you do it right.

You shouldn't increase the distance at all, you should increase the INCLINE. An incline of 2% more closely simulates flat easy pavement, but you'll want 3-4% to simulate something more realistic. Increasing the incline once in a while is good as well, same with speeding up for 30 seconds or so every few minutes. Adding some challenge elements (speed, incline) will make you stronger and faster and make race day a breeze. Congrats on running 5K already - that's amazing!!

I put in two training runs today: one long and one surprise run with a friend I haven't seen in almost a year. I think I'll be ready for the Princess Challenge after that: no sleep last night, 18K run at a pace I'd be happy for in a race, shower, lunch, and then another 10K run at a decent pace as well. Woot! Ok, now we just need race day to be here because I'm ready. Now. (Ok, I could still use a few more training runs...)

I still need to get my husband out somehow. He has a recent knee injury and is using it as an excuse not to run. He can do the 5K, but he really needs to get out on the road and run for a bit. *sigh* I have my work cut out for me here.

You have no idea how many things have dairy until you can’t have it.

I've been vegan twice. Dairy is in everything. I did it b/c I am already vegetarian and why not? I'd gone through the "detox" process (dairy takes awhile to clear your system) and was eating some expensive organic health food store black bean dip, and after having a massive allergy/sneezing attack, I re-read the ingredients. Whey. Second to last ingredient. Bah.

I have switched from treadmill to outside running and it always seems to be harder for me to run outside than it is to run on the treadmill.

Incline! Just like what spacecanada said. Distance is great, too, but the incline is what's going to help.

The quickest I have picked up my bib and shirt has been 15 minutes. That is from getting out of my car and back into it.

WOW. I can't even walk from car/bus to the buildings in that time, it seems! And half the time we've encountered lines, either obvious or surprise. We waited nearly an hour in...2017, maybe? just to get in the bib building.

Do not increase the distance, and as for incline, I personally don’t and some research has shown this only matters for people running at 7mpm or faster. And one suggested 3-4%——-that is Boston Marathon hill training incline! (Really, that is exactly the plan I am doing now.) The difference in running inside vs outside could be due to many things. Is your pace the same? TM pace measurements can be off vs outside. Also, outdoor roads or sidewalks are less even and possibly more cambered, so you engage your foot and leg muscles differently, and the road surface is definitely harder with asphalt or concrete vs a TM belt.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I used to feel the same way. Over time,as I ran farther and built some endurance, the feeling went away. Now, I tend to run a pace outside that naturally falls faster than what my easy runs should be, and I have to work to slow down!

Last edited:
Do not increase the distance, and as for incline, I personally don’t and some research has shown this only matters for people running at 7mpm or faster. And one suggested 3-4%——-that is Boston Marathon hill training incline! (Really, that is exactly the plan I am doing now.) The difference in running inside vs outside could be due to many things. Is your pace the same? TM pace measurements can be off vs outside. Also, outdoor roads or sidewalks are less even and possibly more cambered, so you engage you foot and leg muscles differently, and the road surface is definitely harder with asphalt or concrete vs a TM belt.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I used to feel the same way. Over time,as I ran farther and built some endurance, the feeling went away. Now, I tend to run a pace outside that naturally falls faster than what my easy runs should be, and I have to work to slow down!
There is different advice on the treadmill incline. I train exclusively on a treadmill. Two different sports doctors told me to never use the incline to run on the treadmill. I am nowhere near that 7 mph speed though.

I am such a worrier and like to have all possible situations planned. I am doing the challenge this year and started to wonder after the half where do you pick up your challenge medal? Here is hoping I complete the half b/c my training hasn't been going as planned. I do like reading that there are others who are having the same training luck as I am. Thank you everyone its good to hear.

I’m so glad (I’m not sure that’s the right word lol) that I’m not the only one struggling with my training. I donated my kidney in March and have just been stuck in a rut training wise since then. Right after I got ok enough to start back running, my girlfriend got diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma (she only has one more treatment left!) so I have 0 energy to run most days. Anyone have any tricks and tips to get me in semi-decent shape by race time?

I’m so glad (I’m not sure that’s the right word lol) that I’m not the only one struggling with my training. I donated my kidney in March and have just been stuck in a rut training wise since then. Right after I got ok enough to start back running, my girlfriend got diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma (she only has one more treatment left!) so I have 0 energy to run most days. Anyone have any tricks and tips to get me in semi-decent shape by race time?

No tricks, but I would say, first adjust your expectations. If you had wanted to run a certain time, consider scrapping that. Next, if you have a plan that you have supposed to have been following, adjust it. Consider enlisting the guru @DopeyBadger to help you come up with something realistic for the 5 or so weeks left.

You’re going through a lot, and you don’t want to overly stress your body, but you still have time to accomplish some solid training. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter