2018 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 30 to November 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have handy a link to the F&W events offered in 2017? Things like the pairing lunches & dinners.

Thank you!
Here's the link for the 2017 Food & Wine Festival planning thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...ival-august-31-2017-november-13-2017.3562540/

Scroll down to post #3 and you'll see the listing of the special events and seminars for 2017. The links for the special events no longer direct you to the details of those events, however the links for the beverage seminars, culinary demonstrations, and mix it, make it celebrate it still work.

I don’t think I have posted here before, but when I discovered that we would be there during F&W, I was delighted - a very happy accident!

Does anyone know how far in advance they usually release information about special events like cooking classes? My DVC-owning friend has attended a few and said I would enjoy them.
That information was released on 7/17/2017 for last year's festival.

Okay I was busy last fall having a baby instead of following along with F&W news, so catch me up on why everyone hated PFTS last year.

Congratulations! I guess I need this info too because we went in August last year and I avoided F&W info because it made me sad I was missing out.

I don't think that everyone hated PFTS last year. I didn't. The 2017 thread will have more detail and feedback. I attended PFTS for the first time last year. I think much of the frustration stemmed from those of us who splurged on the Wine Vue Lounge and felt that this "VIP" category didn't deliver VIP service commensurate with the price point. For example early access advantage was eroded by allowing entry by the next group at the same time. The exclusive bar was unadvertised and backstage in the first party. The check-in process was disorganized - staffed by well-intentioned CMs- but incredibly disorganized.

Many posts in the 2017 thread to give you a broader sense of the experience.

I'd still give PFTS another go... although I'd think hard about springing for Wine Vue Lounge again.

Okay I was busy last fall having a baby instead of following along with F&W news, so catch me up on why everyone hated PFTS last year.

Basically what @2xcited2sleep said, we went to the first party and the check in was a mess, they didn't have enough WVL lanyards at the ready, we ended up waiting outside in the heat for a long time, not getting in earlier than everyone else, and the whole disorganization of the beginning of the event was just bad. We had gone to the Rockin Burger Block Party the year before and the difference between the two events was night and day, we were shocked at how poorly the PFTS was run at the start.

That being said, once the event got started, it was great (minus the hidden bar...still mad at our waitress for not telling us there was one backstage...the wine pours at the "booths" were tiny!). The food was great, and there was a fantastic selection and we enjoyed the entertainment. Would definitely do it again though, figure even Disney can't get everything right all the time!

I don't think that everyone hated PFTS last year. I didn't. The 2017 thread will have more detail and feedback. I attended PFTS for the first time last year. I think much of the frustration stemmed from those of us who splurged on the Wine Vue Lounge and felt that this "VIP" category didn't deliver VIP service commensurate with the price point.

I was thinking the same thing. I always purchase the "cheap" seats and felt like I got more than my money's worth last year. I got early entrance and only had to share a table with 1 other couple.

For my reasons why I don't like PFTS, I feel it has outgrown its worth for me.

The first time I went to the event was 2007 and it was around $85. There were a lot more celebrity chefs at that time too (and in general - the festival had a lot more celebrity chef involvement between all the various events - each "signature dinner" also had an attached celebrity) The entertainment was better as well.

Now it's mostly Disney Chefs with just a couple of 'big' names and the price ($179) with just eh entertainment value. They did at least fix the cattle herding issue that used to exist with everyone having assigned seating now.

I don't fault people that enjoy it though. I think it's a great way for people to get exposed to the special events the festival has to offer.

Both kids 21 now so it's a family trip this year! Booked 10/6-10/11 for our 3rd year in a row. Staying in Copper Creek Cabin and can't wait. Tons of points but rack rate? :faint:

They'd better bring back the Black Pepper Shrimp and Garlic Noodles in China!

First time going during late September / early October, I usually arrive on late early November and I'm never able to attend a cheese seminar. Are they an annual thing? Do they occur every weekend?

First time going during late September / early October, I usually arrive on late early November and I'm never able to attend a cheese seminar. Are they an annual thing? Do they occur every weekend?

This year's schedule hasn't been released yet but they've held cheese seminars each of the past several years that I can remember. Last year they were held on "select Saturdays." I've not yet tried one but have heard good things.

2017 Description
Cheese Seminars at the Festival Center:
Learn about cheese from experts and other industry professionals. The featured cheese will be paired with selected wines and introduced by a knowledgeable wine representative. Select Saturdays from 9:45-11:15 a.m. $89 per guest plus tax; gratuity included.
  • French Cheeses and Wines - hosted by Max McCalman, September 2, 2017
  • Italian Cheeses and Wines - hosted by Tonda Corrente, September 16, 2017
  • Mediterranean Cheeses and Wines - hosted by Erin Hedley, September 30, 2017
  • Fabulous Old World Cheeses and Wines - hosted by Max McCalman, October 7, 2017
  • World-Class Cheeses and Wines of the United States - hosted by David Gremmels, October 14, 2017
  • Great British Cheeses and Ales - hosted by Max McCalman, October 28, 2017
  • Season's Best Cheeses and Wines - hosted by Max McCalman, November 11, 2017

First Food & Wine for us. How large are the portions at the booths? Snack sized or small meal?

First Food & Wine for us. How large are the portions at the booths? Snack sized or small meal?

Think it depends on who is eating it - small meal for a child or small adult but snack for a large adult or a child with a big appetite from the images ive seen (also first visit this year!).

Eg cheddar cheese soup with roll would fill my daughter (8) and myself up but might not be enough for my husband.

Think the best thing is to get one of the F&W gift cards ($200) and snack your way round over 2 days. That way you can try loads of different things but stick to a rough budget.

Think it depends on who is eating it - small meal for a child or small adult but snack for a large adult or a child with a big appetite from the images ive seen (also first visit this year!).

Eg cheddar cheese soup with roll would fill my daughter (8) and myself up but might not be enough for my husband.

Think the best thing is to get one of the F&W gift cards ($200) and snack your way round over 2 days. That way you can try loads of different things but stick to a rough budget.

Is this a special gift card that is only sold at F&W?

I don't think I would count on anything being small meal sized. I went last year solo, and ate several things each day. If they were small meal size I would have been ill LOL. That said, I prefer to go with others, so we can split them (sometimes only a bite or two) so we can get many many things.

Is this a special gift card that is only sold at F&W?
Special in the sense that it will be graphically themed to the F&W festival and available in miniature on a plastic wristlet for ease of carrying and frequent use as you hit the various booths. But broadly it functions in the same way any other Disney gift card does -- you can continue to use it after the festival ends, even re-load it. Although I do seem to remember some reports of difficulty using it in other parks. Last year there was a special "package" where if you put $200 on the gift card initially you also got a lanyard and a pin.

A partial list of the bands was released on June 7 last year and the entire schedule for Eat to the Beat was released on June 22.

Thanks for posting - I was coming to ask this question. We are trying to convince another couple to make a drive over for a long weekend to do only F&W fest.

I've never done F&W on a weekend before, any extra tips? If we are mainly going to eat/drink around the world - how are the lines at the food booths usually? No rides or anything like that, and don't mind a lot of people walking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter