• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2016 Free Dining Watch

Just out of curiosity: if you want Free Dining, why did you book now? I've read through the FD2015 thread from last year and based on the experiences people reported, it was not any easier for people who had already booked to secure Free Dining than someone who hadn't booked.

If I learned one thing from reading through that whole thread it was: Do not book in advance.

What incentive does Disney have to offer a discount on their product if it is already selling on its own?

It's obviously your choice, and I was in the same boat as you prior to reading that thread - I was ready to book now, and have Disney apply the discount later. I'm not criticizing.

If you are completely set on going at that time to that resort, regardless of whether or not you get any discount, then by all means - book! Otherwise, there is a significant benefit in waiting - give Disney incentive to have the discount on more rooms, so that you'll actually be able to have a shot at getting it when it goes live!
We have done free dining 5 out of last 6 years, each time in October/November. Have very actively monitored the threads and booked on the day the promo was released, never in advance.

The only reason for booking in advance is if you are completely set on a particular resort and/or room type that may generally be tough to get if you wait, which I have never seen as an issue for any of the moderates anyhow. Even last year when the promo was first released and you could not get a standard at a moderate under the free dining plan there were still plenty of standards available just not under free dining. We ended up booking a pirate room on the date the promo was released and then within a few days they released some standards and we switched over, but we would have been happy either way since we got the dining plan and the room cost was not that much higher for the pirate room. A few things to keep in mind regarding booking in advance that folks encountered last year that they were reporting on the boards....

1. Having the room booked in advance does NOT give you a leg up on getting it converted to free dining. The CM can only convert it to Free dining IF that same room type is still available for Free Dining at the time that you try to convert it. In other words if you have a standard that you want to convert to Free Dining then there would have to be a standard in the Free Dining inventory available at that time for anybody to book. They CANNOT just change your standard to free dining if there are no standards left available in the Free Dining inventory.

2. Booking in advance requires you to call Disney, or have your TA calling Disney, to convert over to the Free Dining. You cannot switch it online. Of course you can go online and book a new reservation and then just call later to cancel the original but that kind of defeats the purpose.

3. Last year in particular, getting through to a CM on the day the promo was released was absolutely insane and not only for the general public but for the TA's as well. Several TA's and customers of TA's commented on how much of a nightmare it was trying to get through to make the changes.

4. The promo has generally been getting released overnight and made available online at that time. Last year was at 3am and the year before that was between Midnight-1am. At that time, neither the phone lines or TA's are able to contact Disney to make changes to an advance reservation. The only option during the first several hours of the promo is to book a new reservation online.

So as mentioned if you are dead set on a particular room type at a particular resort and free dining is not a major concern then book in advance, but if free dining is important and you are open to various resorts and/or room types then my experience has been it works out better to wait.

I'm really hoping for one more family trip in November before my daughter is off to college. Free dining would be great!

I have to say that I would LOVE to get free dining, however, if we don't it wont effect the trip. I plan to call and book this week or next just ot help me with the actual planning and saving aspect(a little discipline on my part). We have had FD for our last 2 trips both in Dec. and we had to check in a day early the one trip to take advantage of it and the last trip we changed resorts. Right now I am trying to decide IF we don't get FD, do I pay for it or pay oop for meals and snacks. looks like I will be looking over the menus and prices and figuring out the best option... I will say it is nice to not have to deal with paying for meals and having everything but the tip taken care of.

I am a newbie here and would like to know the best way to know when free dining is offered. Thanks for any info :thanks:

Having studied the history of FD it is usually late summer, fall and into December with some dates excluded. Then it goes into the early part of the year until around March/mid April. Not offer in late April into early June but who knows? If people are disappointed with the cancellation of SWW and other attractions being closed they may feel the need to entice people to fill the rooms.

Having studied the history of FD it is usually late summer, fall and into December with some dates excluded. Then it goes into the early part of the year until around March/mid April. Not offer in late April into early June but who knows? If people are disappointed with the cancellation of SWW and other attractions being closed they may feel the need to entice people to fill the rooms.
....you've brought up an interesting point...

My brother booked th BB for free dining in sept. For June 4-11 2016. So the free dining may include June dates?

Hoping for free dining for October, booked at the PoP Century October 2nd - October 9th.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but if we could get FD during F&W, it'd make a trip so much likelier to happen for the DH & I this year.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but if we could get FD during F&W, it'd make a trip so much likelier to happen for the DH & I this year.
....well, you are in luck, because typically, a good portion of the F&WF offers free dining!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter