2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

Kim,
You did a GREAT job !!! Very creative and the ears look great. You'll have to keep track on how many people stop and ask you where you got them. Can't wait to hear about the weekend.
Have fun and enjoy.

Kim,
You did a GREAT job !!! Very creative and the ears look great. You'll have to keep track on how many people stop and ask you where you got them. Can't wait to hear about the weekend.
Have fun and enjoy.
Thanks! I will! I cannot wait for this weekend, this week has dragged by so slow. I think a tiny part is b/c I get to go to DL and don't have to get up at 3:45 to run; I can actually stay in the parks until midnight on Sat. :rotfl2:

Thanks! I will! I cannot wait for this weekend, this week has dragged by so slow. I think a tiny part is b/c I get to go to DL and don't have to get up at 3:45 to run; I can actually stay in the parks until midnight on Sat. :rotfl2:

I know...I felt like I spent hardly anytime in the parks this trip...well at least when it was officially open.

Ok Kim....tell us all about it.

We had the 24 hr web cast thing the Disney Blog had going on, so we were able to watch the parade and fireworks.
Please give us a trip report. :mickeyjumHope you had a lot of fun.

Thinking about next year. Looking at the Princess , Glass S. wondering about a hotel which would be the closest one to both the runs. I have my eye on the C2C seeing I will be back to Tink. I have never been to DW I have been told the distances are a concern. Anyone got any advice on this subject?

Thinking about next year. Looking at the Princess , Glass S. wondering about a hotel which would be the closest one to both the runs. I have my eye on the C2C seeing I will be back to Tink. I have never been to DW I have been told the distances are a concern. Anyone got any advice on this subject?
WDW is a whole other story than DL. I would suggest staying at one of the resort hotels, it's easier, especially if you've never been. The upside, you really won't need a car ~ there is a shuttle from the airport to the hotels and back, to the theme parks, and to the expo/races each morning. You can't walk to the race area like you can at DL. The pickup areas are in the front/side of the hotels.

All the hotels are race hotels meaning you can stay at any of them and they have race transportation. So it really all comes down to what you want to pay and what theme hotel you'd like to stay at. B/c they all have transportation, I usually stay at the Value hotels, b/c they're the cheapest. I would play around online or get a WDW travel book and you can see which price point and hotel will work best for you. If you choose one of the hotels a little further away like the All-Star resorts, just keep in mind it takes a little longer to get to the race area. I usually like to get there early, I take one of the 1st buses; that way I don't have to stress about traffic on the way to the start or long lines.

The 10k race starts and finished in the EPCOT parking lot and for the 1/2 you have to walk a little less than a mile or so from the staging area to the start line (they have about 23+,000 runners so just follow them and you'll be fine) and finishes in the same place as the 10k.

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

Ok Kim....tell us all about it.

We had the 24 hr web cast thing the Disney Blog had going on, so we were able to watch the parade and fireworks.
Please give us a trip report. :mickeyjumHope you had a lot of fun.
Oh my goodness! That was.... definitely an experience. :rotfl:

I got to DL just before 9. Went straight to the lockers and able to snag 1. I went to the Emporium to get the 60th shirt w/ the ride dates, but people were going crazy for the 24 hour and 60th stuff. The line for Starbucks was insanely long. I was able to get the castle bracelet too, but none of the other merch appealed to me so I was good for the day.

There was a meet-up at 10, so I went to get the red balloon popcorn bucket I wanted and would go meet everybody. Yeah, that didn't happen. There was tons of media and set-ups around the castle and the popcorn line was about 45 min!! People were straight up going crazy for the buckets; there was a lady behind me who had 4 of all the different ones and I saw her again doing the same thing Sat. Can we say ebay seller?

After that, I got on IASW w/ a short wait. For lunch I went to Carnation Café for the Chicken sandwich and it was delicious. Around 12:45, I got my stuff from the locker to go check in to the hotel. I checked capacity and the lady told me I was fine. I was back in the promenade area by 2:30 and it was just people and lines and lines and people. B/c I was in the morning and hand stamped I was able to get in thankfully. I wanted to go to DCA to get a WOC FP, but w/ the park like it was I figured I'd go over later on. I got on a few rides, but there were so many people! :rotfl: Not so much the lines, b/c those were manageable but the people wandering throughout the park. The thing that surprised me the most were the lines for the pins. Little Green Men was closed from the outside you could only get in from the inside, but the line was at least an hour wait. Crazy!

Around 7:30, I thought I'd check out the IASW area to sneak in for parade and fireworks, but it was a no-go. People were lined up along Main St when I got there at 9am!!! I rode IASW, again, more to try and figure a game plan. After that, got in line for the Matterhorn b/c the lady said 45 and I figured I'd see the parade in line. Love the new ride effects and at night it is awesome! It was more like 30 min, so I hopped to the other side and went on the Tea Cups when the parade started. Best move ever! There were 2 groups, one on the cups and one in line and we just flip flopped the entire time. It was funny though, b/c the 1st float went by and the ride ended and no one got off the cups, the lady had to come out tell people to get off. People were standing along the fence of the ride, but didn't pick up on what we were doing so we saw the whole parade like that. It is soooo gooodd!

When the parade was over, I headed to Space and thought I could see the fireworks from the top, but I couldn't so I stayed near Pizza Port. I couldn't see the projections, but could see the foreworks and hear the music so I was good. They are the best show that I've ever seen before and I saw the projections on IASW on Sun and that made it only better. W/o spoiling anything, when you see them make sure you have some view of the Matterhorn for the Nemo part. :goodvibes After the fireworks, it was smooth sailing. I got on pretty much every ride in the park, walking on or 15 min wait by 1.

Around 1, I got a pretzel over by River Belle Terraceand it was so quiet and peaceful, there was barely anybody there and the music wasn't playing. Stopped by Indy to pick up a 3:30 FP, b/c how often can you get that? I figured, b/c it was dead, I'd hop over to DCA for RSR and TOT before the 3am WOC. I headed out to the front and the gates were still closed; that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen before. So no DCA, b/c I wanted early morning pics of the castle and was scared I wouldn't be able to get back in. I hopped on the train to relax for a bit about 1:45 or so. There were very few people wandering around Main St. Sadly, I was on the train for about an hour, but the conductor guy was cool so we and the other family that was on the car w/ me were had a good time. The last time we hit Main St, they had just opened the gates and it was like park open in the morning. Main St was packed and the wait lines jumped like crazy.

After that, it was a combo of rides and wandering, b/c it was busy again. Around 5:30, I headed over to the castle for my pictures. And then it was 6! I didn't see characters when I was leaving, but that was okay. I got back to the room around 6:30 and was able to get an hour nap in, before my sister got there. She told me that DL Drive was backed up already.

When we went to the park, it was about 9:30 and the security line was long. Not like the day before, but still long. It was crowded in the pak that day, I wanted to go into DCA, but was worried that the park might hit capacity again so I stayed in DL. I lasted until about 6 or so, but then I was done and needed a bed. The upside is we ordered from Marri's. ;) Sun wasn't bad; we watched the parade and fireworks from the area across from IASW, Main St was crowded by 6. Both are incredible, can't wait to watch from Main St. Yesterday, we hit up DCA for a little bit, rode TSMM, RSR and LM. Wanted to get on TOT, but it was 10:45, the wait was 40 and FP was for 12:20 and we wanted to get on the road. In hindsight, we should have stayed. I knew traffic was going to be bad, just didn't know how bad it was going to be. The whole way home it was slow, then stopped and randomly opened w/ no accidents, like how it is in LA, but the entire way. It took us 9 hours to get home!! :faint: I was so done when I got home, I'm still tired.

I didn't get to see WOC, but am going down in Aug and we have DL Labor Day, so I'm good. I think I would do the 24 hr again, just not every year and would definitely fly Mon or leave Sun night or late Mon night to avoid the traffic. Aside from the traffic, it was a great weekend and a ton of fun.

Oh my goodness! That was.... definitely an experience. :rotfl:

I got to DL just before 9. Went straight to the lockers and able to snag 1. I went to the Emporium to get the 60th shirt w/ the ride dates, but people were going crazy for the 24 hour and 60th stuff. The line for Starbucks was insanely long. I was able to get the castle bracelet too, but none of the other merch appealed to me so I was good for the day.

There was a meet-up at 10, so I went to get the red balloon popcorn bucket I wanted and would go meet everybody. Yeah, that didn't happen. There was tons of media and set-ups around the castle and the popcorn line was about 45 min!! People were straight up going crazy for the buckets; there was a lady behind me who had 4 of all the different ones and I saw her again doing the same thing Sat. Can we say ebay seller?

After that, I got on IASW w/ a short wait. For lunch I went to Carnation Café for the Chicken sandwich and it was delicious. Around 12:45, I got my stuff from the locker to go check in to the hotel. I checked capacity and the lady told me I was fine. I was back in the promenade area by 2:30 and it was just people and lines and lines and people. B/c I was in the morning and hand stamped I was able to get in thankfully. I wanted to go to DCA to get a WOC FP, but w/ the park like it was I figured I'd go over later on. I got on a few rides, but there were so many people! :rotfl: Not so much the lines, b/c those were manageable but the people wandering throughout the park. The thing that surprised me the most were the lines for the pins. Little Green Men was closed from the outside you could only get in from the inside, but the line was at least an hour wait. Crazy!

Around 7:30, I thought I'd check out the IASW area to sneak in for parade and fireworks, but it was a no-go. People were lined up along Main St when I got there at 9am!!! I rode IASW, again, more to try and figure a game plan. After that, got in line for the Matterhorn b/c the lady said 45 and I figured I'd see the parade in line. Love the new ride effects and at night it is awesome! It was more like 30 min, so I hopped to the other side and went on the Tea Cups when the parade started. Best move ever! There were 2 groups, one on the cups and one in line and we just flip flopped the entire time. It was funny though, b/c the 1st float went by and the ride ended and no one got off the cups, the lady had to come out tell people to get off. People were standing along the fence of the ride, but didn't pick up on what we were doing so we saw the whole parade like that. It is soooo gooodd!

When the parade was over, I headed to Space and thought I could see the fireworks from the top, but I couldn't so I stayed near Pizza Port. I couldn't see the projections, but could see the foreworks and hear the music so I was good. They are the best show that I've ever seen before and I saw the projections on IASW on Sun and that made it only better. W/o spoiling anything, when you see them make sure you have some view of the Matterhorn for the Nemo part. :goodvibes After the fireworks, it was smooth sailing. I got on pretty much every ride in the park, walking on or 15 min wait by 1.

Around 1, I got a pretzel over by River Belle Terraceand it was so quiet and peaceful, there was barely anybody there and the music wasn't playing. Stopped by Indy to pick up a 3:30 FP, b/c how often can you get that? I figured, b/c it was dead, I'd hop over to DCA for RSR and TOT before the 3am WOC. I headed out to the front and the gates were still closed; that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen before. So no DCA, b/c I wanted early morning pics of the castle and was scared I wouldn't be able to get back in. I hopped on the train to relax for a bit about 1:45 or so. There were very few people wandering around Main St. Sadly, I was on the train for about an hour, but the conductor guy was cool so we and the other family that was on the car w/ me were had a good time. The last time we hit Main St, they had just opened the gates and it was like park open in the morning. Main St was packed and the wait lines jumped like crazy.

After that, it was a combo of rides and wandering, b/c it was busy again. Around 5:30, I headed over to the castle for my pictures. And then it was 6! I didn't see characters when I was leaving, but that was okay. I got back to the room around 6:30 and was able to get an hour nap in, before my sister got there. She told me that DL Drive was backed up already.

When we went to the park, it was about 9:30 and the security line was long. Not like the day before, but still long. It was crowded in the pak that day, I wanted to go into DCA, but was worried that the park might hit capacity again so I stayed in DL. I lasted until about 6 or so, but then I was done and needed a bed. The upside is we ordered from Marri's. ;) Sun wasn't bad; we watched the parade and fireworks from the area across from IASW, Main St was crowded by 6. Both are incredible, can't wait to watch from Main St. Yesterday, we hit up DCA for a little bit, rode TSMM, RSR and LM. Wanted to get on TOT, but it was 10:45, the wait was 40 and FP was for 12:20 and we wanted to get on the road. In hindsight, we should have stayed. I knew traffic was going to be bad, just didn't know how bad it was going to be. The whole way home it was slow, then stopped and randomly opened w/ no accidents, like how it is in LA, but the entire way. It took us 9 hours to get home!! :faint: I was so done when I got home, I'm still tired.

I didn't get to see WOC, but am going down in Aug and we have DL Labor Day, so I'm good. I think I would do the 24 hr again, just not every year and would definitely fly Mon or leave Sun night or late Mon night to avoid the traffic. Aside from the traffic, it was a great weekend and a ton of fun.

I couldn't believe the length of the Starbuck's line on Friday morning! I just couldn't do it. After grabbing all of the merchandise that I wanted it, I headed straight for beignets at the Mint Julep bar. That was about a 20-30 minute wait. Just sat down and relaxed until my friends arrived. It was an awesome day.

I was so glad that I'd made reservations for restaurants throughout the day, just to have a bit of calm. The people in line for popcorn buckets and whatever they were selling at Little Green Men were insane. I skipped Starbucks, too. I had a great day wandering around with my camera and went on more rides than I'd thought possible. I didn't go into the parks on Saturday because I was just too tired from the people the day before. Instead, I hung out in DTD which was also packed, saw Tomorrowland at the theater there, in a nearly empty theater no less (And yet still managed to sit near people who talked the whole time), and grabbed a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich. My flight left super early on Sunday, so I was back in my room before the fireworks started, but I had a decent view of them from my room. I sort of wish I'd opened a video so I could have synched up the music with the show.

WDW is a whole other story than DL. I would suggest staying at one of the resort hotels, it's easier, especially if you've never been. The upside, you really won't need a car ~ there is a shuttle from the airport to the hotels and back, to the theme parks, and to the expo/races each morning. You can't walk to the race area like you can at DL. The pickup areas are in the front/side of the hotels.

All the hotels are race hotels meaning you can stay at any of them and they have race transportation. So it really all comes down to what you want to pay and what theme hotel you'd like to stay at. B/c they all have transportation, I usually stay at the Value hotels, b/c they're the cheapest. I would play around online or get a WDW travel book and you can see which price point and hotel will work best for you. If you choose one of the hotels a little further away like the All-Star resorts, just keep in mind it takes a little longer to get to the race area. I usually like to get there early, I take one of the 1st buses; that way I don't have to stress about traffic on the way to the start or long lines.

The 10k race starts and finished in the EPCOT parking lot and for the 1/2 you have to walk a little less than a mile or so from the staging area to the start line (they have about 23+,000 runners so just follow them and you'll be fine) and finishes in the same place as the 10k.

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

Thanks Kim for the info. I think I will definitely be staying on property. I want the least hassle, get me from A to B. I'm thinking about just getting a race package through Get Travel letting them take care of it all.

I couldn't believe the length of the Starbuck's line on Friday morning! I just couldn't do it. After grabbing all of the merchandise that I wanted it, I headed straight for beignets at the Mint Julep bar. That was about a 20-30 minute wait. Just sat down and relaxed until my friends arrived. It was an awesome day.

It was an awesome day! I'm so glad I did it and to have experienced it. I went in w/ really low expectations about rides so getting on everything was an added bonus. :goodvibes

I was so glad that I'd made reservations for restaurants throughout the day, just to have a bit of calm. The people in line for popcorn buckets and whatever they were selling at Little Green Men were insane. I skipped Starbucks, too. I had a great day wandering around with my camera and went on more rides than I'd thought possible. I didn't go into the parks on Saturday because I was just too tired from the people the day before. Instead, I hung out in DTD which was also packed, saw Tomorrowland at the theater there, in a nearly empty theater no less (And yet still managed to sit near people who talked the whole time), and grabbed a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich. My flight left super early on Sunday, so I was back in my room before the fireworks started, but I had a decent view of them from my room. I sort of wish I'd opened a video so I could have synched up the music with the show.

Reservations were the best! I walked right in w/ no wait for lunch. Sorry about the people talking, that is never fun.

Kim, we saw you on Sunday waiting in line for the Matterhorn.

I had been lurking on this thread because I'm toying with the idea of doing the Star Wars or Tinker Bell 5K in 2016 and was trying to absorb tips. I recognized your ears - very cute in person! :)

Thanks and you should have said hi! :goodvibes Were you in the regular line or the single rider?

Something to keep in mind when you're deciding which 5k next year. Tink is the 5th anniversary so there will be a little more to it next year. The courses are different as well if that plays into your decision. As long as the course is the same for Tink, it starts inside DL by Pixie Hollow right next to the castle and you are inside the park, onstage and backstage, for the entire race; the finish is right before Little Mermaid in DCA. For SW, you start on DL Drive at the underpass below DTD then go into DL, DCA, up DTD and along the service road b/w DLH and ESPN Zone, so there are some parts outside the park.

Thanks for the report!!! So glad you had a great time.

I had to laugh about the popcorn bucket lady....really.....I can't tell you HOW MANY of those things and the insulated hot coco/coffee mugs we have from the park collecting dust in the garage. MANYof them !!!! Didn't know there could be a market on ebay for them. :confused: :laughing:

9 hrs on the 5.....Ugh :eek:
Are you going to D23 in Aug?

I had to laugh about the popcorn bucket lady....really.....I can't tell you HOW MANY of those things and the insulated hot coco/coffee mugs we have from the park collecting dust in the garage. MANYof them !!!! Didn't know there could be a market on ebay for them. :confused: :laughing:
Apparently a set of three sold for $100 on eBay over the weekend. They're selling with asking prices around $45 for a single and upwards of $75 for the three colors as a set. I don't know if they're selling, but I had to look and see for myself...

And someone is selling a lot of the sparkly Minnie headbands for $39 a pop. I have no idea what I paid for mine at the park but they gave me a headache, so maybe I should sell them.

Last edited:
Apparently a set of three sold for $100 on eBay over the weekend. They're selling with asking prices around $45 for a single and upwards of $75 for the three colors as a set. I don't know if they're selling, but I had to look and see for myself...

And someone is selling a lot of the sparkly Minnie headbands for $39 a pop. I have no idea what I paid for mine at the park but they gave me a headache, so maybe I should sell them.

It's interesting what some people will buy and sell I guess. I'm a sucker for Disney marketing but I've never done the ebay route.

I did call the 800 Disneyland merchandise number to try and get the light up paint brush thing for our mouseketeer and I was told NO 60th merchandise is being sold right now via phone order.
I guess we just will have to wait until our visit and hope it's still available.

Too bad about the headband...it looks cute.

9 hrs on the 5.....Ugh :eek:
Are you going to D23 in Aug?
It's interesting what some people will buy and sell I guess. I'm a sucker for Disney marketing but I've never done the ebay route.

I did call the 800 Disneyland merchandise number to try and get the light up paint brush thing for our mouseketeer and I was told NO 60th merchandise is being sold right now via phone order.
I guess we just will have to wait until our visit and hope it's still available.

Too bad about the headband...it looks cute.
I didn't know there was an ebay market for them until the Cinderella bucket came out and heard people were going crazy for them.

Yeah, the drive home was not fun. I thought once we got out of LA and the grapevine it'd get better but no. The only saving grace was that there weren't very many trucks going in our direction.

No on D23. I would like too, b/c I saw there's going to be an exhibit w/ old artifacts that look like it would be really good, but w/ DL the week or 3 after no. Plus I think I might be going back the 1st or 2nd weekend of Aug for a few days. Is your next trip before that? I can look for and pick up the paint brush if it's not until Sept.

$100 sounds like a deal compared to early Fri afternoon. Someone in my fb group told me she saw them for $170.:scared1: And, someone else was selling the confetti from park opening for $12.95!!

$100 sounds like a deal compared to early Fri afternoon. Someone in my fb group told me she saw them for $170.:scared1: And, someone else was selling the confetti from park opening for $12.95!!
:eek:

There are no words. And clearly we as a group, are deficient in recognizing marketing opportunities. I shouldn't have taken the tags off the darn headband...

I just assumed the paintbrushes would be available year-round. I think my nephews would love them but was going to wait until November to buy them. Now I wish I'd just bought them.

Yeah, the drive home was not fun. I thought once we got out of LA and the grapevine it'd get better but no. The only saving grace was that there weren't very many trucks going in our direction.

No on D23. I would like too, b/c I saw there's going to be an exhibit w/ old artifacts that look like it would be really good, but w/ DL the week or 3 after no. Plus I think I might be going back the 1st or 2nd weekend of Aug for a few days. Is your next trip before that? I can look for and pick up the paint brush if it's not until Sept.
Your lucky that there were not too many trucks. Aren't they the worst ?? The way they drive really scares me sometimes. I swear either people are drinking too many caffeinated drinks or they are falling asleep on the 5...either way a lot of really crazy drivers lately.

Thanks ...I'll let you know about the paint brush when you go down in Aug. Our next trip....we're are trying to go for July 17th. Hopefully, all will fall into place. If I can't get the paint brush then I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.:goodvibes

Have you heard of any fun July 4th races in our area??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter