2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

I'd love to do it again next year but after we had an already planned WDW vacation last Dec, and then I did Tink and I'm doing W&D in Nov, I promised my SO we didn't have to go back to Disney next year. :) Although he got all swept up in the excitement of the weekend, too, and started thinking maybe he would want to start running and do one of the manlier races like Star Wars or Avengers. ;) I know that realistically that isn't going to happen, at least not the half, because he hates to run and the excitement of the weekend is probably already wearing off. ;) But I might have an easier time convincing him in the future. :D I started planting some Disneyland Paris seeds, too. ;)

I'd love to do it again next year but after we had an already planned WDW vacation last Dec, and then I did Tink and I'm doing W&D in Nov, I promised my SO we didn't have to go back to Disney next year. :) Although he got all swept up in the excitement of the weekend, too, and started thinking maybe he would want to start running and do one of the manlier races like Star Wars or Avengers. ;) I know that realistically that isn't going to happen, at least not the half, because he hates to run and the excitement of the weekend is probably already wearing off. ;) But I might have an easier time convincing him in the future. :D I started planting some Disneyland Paris seeds, too. ;)
I get my husband running this year signed him up for a clinic in January to learn to run 10k. He ran his first 10k race in April. I have signed him up for the dumbo dare in September. He started coming along with me on my training runs for tink so I know he can do it. He had fun on the weekend too, yes the excitement and people watching ! So I am lucky he has taken to running.

He had fun on the weekend too, yes the excitement and people watching !
Yeah, he wasn't really sure what to expect (neither was I, this was my first rD race) but he really loved the atmosphere and how upbeat and supportive it all was. I grumbled about all the walkers I had to dodge back in corral G (and really I was only grumbling about the ones walking 3-4 across) but I really liked that it was so friendly to people of all speeds. I have been hesitant about doing local races because I really don't want to be the fat slow person bringing up the rear of a "serious" race, but the Disney atmosphere was nice. :)

I have been hesitant about doing local races because I really don't want to be the fat slow person bringing up the rear of a "serious" race, but the Disney atmosphere was nice.

Never worry about being to slow! It is all about you, embrace your inner beast and let it out! You will find there is lots of encouragement out there. Baby steps remember that we all had to start somewhere. Feeling that inner happy from your accomplishments , that what matters! Great job!

I am not really into the local races either. I am the slow turtle at the back of the pack. It seems that local races don't have as much encouragement from the other participants. Disney races are great for that.

Yeah, he wasn't really sure what to expect (neither was I, this was my first rD race) but he really loved the atmosphere and how upbeat and supportive it all was. I grumbled about all the walkers I had to dodge back in corral G (and really I was only grumbling about the ones walking 3-4 across) but I really liked that it was so friendly to people of all speeds. I have been hesitant about doing local races because I really don't want to be the fat slow person bringing up the rear of a "serious" race, but the Disney atmosphere was nice. :)
Don't be afraid to be in the back of the pack! My mom finished her first 10k as the very last person and has slowly worked her way up in the year. I started faster than she did, but not that much faster.

For support, it probably depends on how runner-friendly your community is, but most races run by local running stores or groups are really supportive of beginning/slower runners. I sound like a broken record with some people, but find a running group so you get built-in support. I started with Team in Training, shifted to one run by a local running store that included training for specific distances (they have Running 101, Mid-distance for 10 milers-half marathons, and Distance groups for full marathons) and just a couple of months ago changed over to Team RWB, which aims to connect veterans to the communities they live in. That gets you built-in support and sometimes a buddy to run with.

Son will be a senior in HS next year so I'm out after two years of Tink and two of DL half, but my hubby has agreed to go for DLP. So that will be our next RunDisney. I think I can hold on until then - I hope!

On a side note, my daughter ran and completed her first race. I didn't think much of it because I do not drink a lot during races, but my daughter was dying of thirst before the finish. I think they could use one at maybe 12.5 or so. I made a mistake not carrying it for her, but I was thinking a Disney course has more than enough for her and I should have known better.

I can't believe it's already been a week since the big race weekend. A week ago we were all just getting ready for Sundays big race. I'm guess I'm feeling a little blue that it's all done and over with after so much anticipation and training. I've been wearing my race shirts all week....anyone else ??

:tinker:All ready looking forward to next year.
I thought about that yesterday morning! Oh, this time last week I was running and at the time I would have been running through DL, but I was packing for this weekend so.... can't really complain too much. :rotfl2:Can't wait for next year either!!

Anyone doing the Disney Half in September?
I am! Coming in on Thursday, probably changing my flight to the 1st one vs lunchtime and staying until late Sunday night.

Son will be a senior in HS next year so I'm out after two years of Tink and two of DL half, but my hubby has agreed to go for DLP. So that will be our next RunDisney. I think I can hold on until then - I hope!

On a side note, my daughter ran and completed her first race. I didn't think much of it because I do not drink a lot during races, but my daughter was dying of thirst before the finish. I think they could use one at maybe 12.5 or so. I made a mistake not carrying it for her, but I was thinking a Disney course has more than enough for her and I should have known better.

Yay DLP!! Hopefully it'll be more than a 1 time deal, b/c I would love to do it, but already have my big travel races planned out for next year.

That's funny you mentioned the water at the end, I was thinking the same thing this year. I thought in the past there has been one more after the tunnel, similar to where it was when we entered DCA around Mile 1.5 but a little further in. I could be confusing it w/ the early stop, but I really thought one was there. :confused3

I'm so sad I deferred this year after reading all y'alls posts! But I'm in for 2016! And I'm in for the DLH Half this year! I'm kinda glad I booked a flight that lands at SNA at 8 a.m. on Thursday, with all the talk of how quickly the Expo runs out of things. I'll be buying stuff for the other two runners in my group that don't get in until late Friday, so at least we'll have a decent shot of getting the things we want ... maybe?

I'm kinda glad I booked a flight that lands at SNA at 8 a.m. on Thursday, with all the talk of how quickly the Expo runs out of things. I'll be buying stuff for the other two runners in my group that don't get in until late Friday, so at least we'll have a decent shot of getting the things we want ... maybe?

That was my though too about stuff selling out; I really liked the design on the Tink stuff, but restrained myself b/c of the 60th merch and DL 10th merch I might want more. My flight is only an hour and I was leaving at lunch, but honestly, when you going to DL or WDW can you really get anything done in 3 hours at work the day before a 3 day weekend? :rotfl:I think my flight will get in at 8 too!

That was my though too about stuff selling out; I really liked the design on the Tink stuff, but restrained myself b/c of the 60th merch and DL 10th merch I might want more. My flight is only an hour and I was leaving at lunch, but honestly, when you going to DL or WDW can you really get anything done in 3 hours at work the day before a 3 day weekend? :rotfl:I think my flight will get in at 8 too!

Let's meet for Expo shopping and brunch!!! I'll have some serious time to kill between then and Anniversary Party.

I thought about that yesterday morning! Oh, this time last week I was running and at the time I would have been running through DL, but I was packing for this weekend so.... can't really complain too much. :rotfl2:Can't wait for next year either!!

You'll have to share how this weekend goes. Are you planning to stay in the park the entire 24hr??
I hope you have a blast !!!!!

I thought about that yesterday morning! Oh, this time last week I was running and at the time I would have been running through DL, but I was packing for this weekend so.... can't really complain too much
Are you going to any of the meet-ups?

Let's meet for Expo shopping and brunch!!! I'll have some serious time to kill between then and Anniversary Party.

Definitely! Are you going into SNA, we could even be on the same shuttle!

You'll have to share how this weekend goes. Are you planning to stay in the park the entire 24hr??
I hope you have a blast !!!!!
Will do! :goodvibes And if all goes well, my ears will finally be done tonight. Finished painting the letters last night, so I hope to get them all glued on tonight.

I won't be there the whole 24. :sad1: My flight gets in at 8, so I figure DL by 9. I have to leave for a bit in the afternoon to get checked into the hotel, but other than that I hope to be there most of the time. My sister gets in Sat morning and her ticket is a 1park one so Sat and Sun it'll be DL which is good, I can take all the little details in and then DCA Mon before we drive home.

Are you going to any of the meet-ups?
I'm going to try, pretty sure about the 10am one. My plan when I get into DL is locker and Main Street shopping, hopefully my shirt will still be there, and that would get me to the castle around meet up time.

Are you going to any?

I'm going to try, pretty sure about the 10am one. My plan when I get into DL is locker and Main Street shopping, hopefully my shirt will still be there, and that would get me to the castle around meet up time.

Are you going to any?
I'm planning to do the one at 10 as well. I'll look for the ears!

I have no idea what I'm wearing...which I suppose I need to decide tonight when I pack. There will probably be a runDisney shirt involved. Maybe Pixie Dust, maybe Goofy depending on the weather and what's clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter