2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok, what a day of drum corps....GOD I love this activity!

Well for me on individuals, I felt really good about my performance and had several competitors come up to me, including Scooter Pirtle from Star telling me what a great job I did on Alfie...but I guess the judges are looking for French Horn concerto's. Anyhow, I ended up 8th out of 13.

Now on to Mass Brass...What a performace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We got 5 standing O's..UNREAL...But we finished 2nd to Star ...

Star Unitied 98.3
Mass Brass 97.17
Golden Eagles, 95.4

then the others.... The crowd of 2200 booed at the score, so I know what they thought, but to be honest, to loose to Star by a point means we did a great job. The crowd absolute loved us, and that my friends IS what it's all about! I encourage all of you that have not performed lately to hook up with somebody...it is a feeling that I thought I would never feel again....

The block party was cool...tomorrow is prelims, and Sunday is the Alumni show....More drum corps.. Can't wait!

Next contest is in Albany NY on September 27. It is the first ever MCA (Mini Corps Associates) Championship...Can't wait, it's ours for the taken, I know it in my heart.

The one down side is my #1 fan, MY DAD is still in the hospital and was not well enough to come. That did break my heart, and my dad IS my hero, and I am eternally thankful for giving me the gift of Drum Corps!!!!

Just thought I would report.... Disneysoloist, I sure hope you can make it...would love to meet you... You should all try to find a mini corps show...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! This movement is mostly thank to Future Corps...God, I miss them!

Thanks for the report Coach Rick!!! I attended our local HS's football game on Thursday because my neice marches in the band. They did pretty good for the first time, but there is a lot more work to do. She was at finals with us in Indy and reported that there were a couple of Cavies helping out at Band Camp last week. It's funny, though. After all the corps, marching band seems a tad anemic ;-)

pinnie

Well it looks like Adam Sage (The guard designer for Phantom who was let go) was just picked up by Crown! :thumbsup2

Speaking of which.......

World Championships CDs are tentatively scheduled for shipment on or about Labor Day.

DVD products are tentatively scheduled for shipment on or about Thanksgiving.

And one more news item....

Howard Weinstein, formally of the Boston Crusaders, accepted the position of director of the Blue Stars......

Sounds like you did great, Rick. Congratulations!
Next season I'll get to a mini-corps show. We probably know lots of people in common, and should be able to have quite the conversation! I need to get off my butt and go out and buy a car. Living so close to Boston, it's been easy to put it off (I even walk to work).
Hope your dad gets better soon. So sorry he missed your performances.
Take care.

and Weinstein taking over Blue Stars and Adam going to CC sounds like two great moves!

By the way, I won the prize!!

Does anyone else have a movie theater that simulcasts DCI Worlds? We went to the one here this year. It was awesome.

James,
I went to the cinema broadcast in Revere, MA. Lots of old friends there - people I hadn't seen in over 30 years!! We had about 100 people in the audience. By far the biggest ovation was for Phantom - only standing "O" of the night, although everybody applauded for every single corps. Blue Stars received a great 'welcome back', and Boston, of course, was well received. A great deal for $18, and the theater had a BAR!!!!:woohoo:

Anybody who has the opportunity to go in 2009 should definitely attend. It was a great reunion with ooooooooold friends, and an entertaining show! Also met a great couple at the bar. The husband marched Cadets in '87. It was certainly interesting to hear his opinion of the '08 show!

James,
I went to the cinema broadcast in Revere, MA. Lots of old friends there - people I hadn't seen in over 30 years!! We had about 100 people in the audience. By far the biggest ovation was for Phantom - only standing "O" of the night, although everybody applauded for every single corps. Blue Stars received a great 'welcome back', and Boston, of course, was well received. A great deal for $18, and the theater had a BAR!!!!:woohoo:

Anybody who has the opportunity to go in 2009 should definitely attend. It was a great reunion with ooooooooold friends, and an entertaining show! Also met a great couple at the bar. The husband marched Cadets in '87. It was certainly interesting to hear his opinion of the '08 show!
Just before the Bluecoats, the satellite feed went out. The screen went all "blue screen of death". People started yelling "Bluuuuuuuuuue". It was cute

If anyone is interested, I just put a video up on the Mass Brass website of our 2008 2nd place finish at the DCA mini corps show. You can find it at www.massbrass.com scroll down to the first video, and hit play. Unfortunately there was some rather loud gabby person standing next to my DW. And yep, that's yours truly on the mellophone solo is the opener. :cool1:

Anybody want to see my individuals piece, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhEeeJigUY

Also, I put the Boston Crusaders show up in 3 segments on YouTube. Just click on the more video from this user link. The second segment is Ole and Masquerade from North Star days. I had taken the best of the three years North Star played Ole, and put it into one arrangement.

Disney gay folk and band geeks! Awesome!
I never marched DCI, b/c I never had summers free. But I was the Drumline Section Leader of the Boston Univ. Marching Band. Our cadence was based on the Santa Clara Vanguard's, and lots of our folks marched in the Crusaders. BU gave up football in 1997, so the MB essentially became an exhibition corps. Lots of memories, I loved marching so much. I take it folks here must also be big fans of Future Corps, I miss them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter