2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoMike

<font color=red>all I can say is beer hurts when i
Well I guess it's time to put the old thread to bed and start a new one for 2008.

We already have to people on here who are marching Bluecoats this summer! BLUUUUUUUUU:woohoo:

Anyone else marching?

Going to shows?

Alumni?

Start Chatting!

Oh, after watching this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vt-1BqQcD3E

I'm also a Bluecoats fan. They are one of the few corps I've enjoyed in the past few years. (I'm an old-timer; marched 27th Lancers 1976-1978 and the 1994 Alumni corps) I also taught 27th in 1982 (marching) and Avant Garde 1980-1981. Shocked to see a drum corps thread on a Disney forum!!
:woohoo:

Not a member of any, but love to watch the DCI. Grew up as a twirler around drumlines. Miss is so much. :happytv:

2004 Blue Stars alumnus

mmmm hot tan muscular guys in the cavies /drool

LOL hopefully I'll be able to see more shows this year than last. I will be busy on Saturdays, but any other day of the week is pretty much flexible.

Go Blue Stars!

So, what does everybody think about the new rule allowing electronic instruments? I, for one, am against it but am willing to give it a chance before I stop spending money going to shows and buying souvies.

Please go slowly when you explain...

I watched the You Tube clips and I don't understand. Where is this band (is it a school?) and why are so many of the alumni "Family"? Why is it called drum corps when it is a whole marching band?

Yes, I am straight. Yes, I am blond. But I WANT to understand, really, I do!

I need to know this because DS12 just started playing drums in the band this year. He also likes to listen to the soundtrack to "Cats". You see where I am going here, don't you?

I watched the You Tube clips and I don't understand. Where is this band (is it a school?) and why are so many of the alumni "Family"? Why is it called drum corps when it is a whole marching band?

I need to know this because DS12 just started playing drums in the band this year. He also likes to listen to the soundtrack to "Cats". You see where I am going here, don't you?

hehe that is a VERY loaded set of questions. There is a simple definition I always live by. For those who have never experienced drum corps, there is no explanation. For those who have experienced it, no explanation is necessary.

My point is that drum corps is very difficult to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

A drum corps is a group of kids ranging 14-21 who travel on a monthly basis from November through May to camps in a given city. For instance, the La Crosse Blue Stars are based out of La Crosse, WI but hold camps in Indianapolis. Members travel from all over the world to get to the camps each month.

I have to go, so I'm going to make this brief. Drum corps are not affiliated with any schools(except one). They are non profit organizations. From early June through early August, members get up everyday, rehearse at a school, shower, do a show, and travel by bus all night long. Typically they roll into the new housing site in a new city at 3 or 4am, sleep on gym floors, get up at 7 or 8 and start rehearsal. They do this for over 60 days straight.

If you want more information, check out www.dci.org
I'll explain more later. Questions are good!

Thank you! :) I am looking forward to learning more about it. Then if it ever comes up in conversation with DS I will understand what is involved. He brought home the paper where he has to choose electives for next year and he wasn't even sure he wanted to continue with band, but still, I like to try to stay one step ahead of him. ;)

I see there will be an event here in July. I wonder if I should try to get tickets? Or maybe wait and see which direction his interests (all of them) go.:confused: Plenty of time to work it out, I suppose.

I'm also a Bluecoats fan. They are one of the few corps I've enjoyed in the past few years. (I'm an old-timer; marched 27th Lancers 1976-1978 and the 1994 Alumni corps) I also taught 27th in 1982 (marching) and Avant Garde 1980-1981. Shocked to see a drum corps thread on a Disney forum!!
:woohoo:
That 94 Alumni corp was a sight to see-wish they'd do it again. Would like to see a North Star Alumni corp too.

There are no clarinets, flutes, trombones, saxophones-did I miss anything? The marching is usually much more complex than a band. It's long days of hard work. The satisfaction of being on the field as you look up at a cheering crowd makes it all worth while. If he marches in a drum corp he will never regret it and will never forget it.

Thanks! I think I am starting to understand! :thumbsup2
We might have to go check it out at the theater, and if DS enjoys it maybe we'll go to the live event this summer. :)

You have a great show in Dallas this summer!

North Texas Festival of Drums and Bugles
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Dallas, TX

Ticket Information
Ticket information not available at this time.
Venue Address
Venue information not available at this time.

Performing Corps
Blue Devils - Concord, CA
Blue Knights - Denver, CO
Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
Frontier - Denton, TX
Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA
Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI
Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Thanks! I think I am starting to understand! :thumbsup2
We might have to go check it out at the theater, and if DS enjoys it maybe we'll go to the live event this summer. :)

The movie theater is great, but they usually assume for some reason that we don't like blaring loud horn lines cuz the volume is NEVER loud enough, not even equal to movies!!!

The theater is a good way to introduce I guess, but there is NOTHING like a live performance. I've NEVER seen a drum corps rookie walk away from their first show and say wow that was boring, I wish I wouldn't have come, or what a waste of money. Encourage DS to sign up for band and take him to a competition over the summer.

As far as the family concept, almost every corps out there considers themselves a family. When you are with 135 other people 24/7 for over 2 months, there is a degree of comradery(sp?) that develops that can't be matched. Many corps have a long history and it's the tradition that brings alumni and current members together. Drum corps evolves every year(sometimes in ways we wish it wouldn't) but if the values of the corps remain true, that is how the family is formed. It's also just the fact that marching is such a unique experience and you can only truly understand it if you've been through it.

The movie theater is great, but they usually assume for some reason that we don't like blaring loud horn lines cuz the volume is NEVER loud enough, not even equal to movies!!!

The theater is a good way to introduce I guess, but there is NOTHING like a live performance. I've NEVER seen a drum corps rookie walk away from their first show and say wow that was boring, I wish I wouldn't have come, or what a waste of money. Encourage DS to sign up for band and take him to a competition over the summer.

As far as the family concept, almost every corps out there considers themselves a family. When you are with 135 other people 24/7 for over 2 months, there is a degree of comradery(sp?) that develops that can't be matched. Many corps have a long history and it's the tradition that brings alumni and current members together. Drum corps evolves every year(sometimes in ways we wish it wouldn't) but if the values of the corps remain true, that is how the family is formed. It's also just the fact that marching is such a unique experience and you can only truly understand it if you've been through it.

I meant Family in the GLBT sense. ;) I was curious why the thread is particular to this forum.
I can certainly understand a sense of family and belonging from participating in this sort of group/team/corps, but I was wondering if there is a specific draw for gay youth.
I am perfectly fine with whatever DS's orientation is. All of my friends told me they knew by the time they were 9, so I am assuming HE already knows. He hasn't really said anything to me for me to know one way or the other, he just seems to have interests that lean a bit, if that makes sense. Obviously I want him to be comfortable and happy with himself, if that is even possible for ANYONE in middle school.:rolleyes:
Like I said, I try to stay one step ahead of him, so I might be reading more into it than there is. It has been said that I will be the mom who shakes her head and asks "Where did I go wrong?" if my DS is straight!:rotfl:

I put the thread over here for a few reasons.

Yes, drum corps has a gay draw. It's art! You travel the country!

But the main reason is in the past I have started a drum corps thread on the community board, and it just sat there. The thread I started over here was a lot of fun last summer, and most people didn't mind coming over here to discuss drum corps.

That's all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter