2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there is a new sign on Interstate 90!

How cool is that?

RockfordSign04.jpg

Man, that is SOOOOOO cool!!!! Thanks for sharing!

pinnie

Funny post on the Cedar Point site I read daily.....

Sunday, I was at Cedar Point.

Around 4:15, I was buying chili cheese fries from the fry joint across from Gemini when the parade passed by. The first unit I saw was a marching band from somewhere in New York. They were carrying a banner identifying them as the "Quaker Marching Band".

Behind the banner was the first unit from the band, the Quaker drill team. The drill team was drilling, and I noticed what they were drilling *with*: Rifles.

Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with that?

Just a little "FYI".....

If you go to Video Google, Phantom's entire Semi-Finals show has been posted. The multi-camera version, even!

Just type in "Phantom Regiment 2008" in the search bar and make sure "search all videos" is highlighted. Click either "Enter/Return" or "Search Video". On the left-hand side of the screen scroll down and click on the second page. The video is titled "Phantom Regiment Semifinals 2008", and it's by a web site called "Strimoo".

I'll admit, the sound isn't too good, but if you're like me and can't wait for the DVDs to come out here's your chance to sneak a peek. :rolleyes1

I suggest not using Safari as your browser because mine always tends to crash whenever I use it for videos on Google. Firefox works well.

:cool1: :banana: :cool1:

:scared1: I AM SPARTICUS!!!!!

OMG thanks!

That brought tears to my eyes, even as bad as the quality was! I cant wait for the DVD's! :thumbsup2

Now if you all want to get together and get me this, I would appreciate it very much!

http://shop.regiment.org/Commemorative_2008_Championshi_P3268C165.cfm

As for the ring--well......maybe if you're a good boy. :lmao:

Edit: Woooooah! I just read PR's former color guard caption head is now the color guard caption supervisor for Carolina Crown?? :confused3:

As for the ring--well......maybe if you're a good boy. :lmao:

Edit: Woooooah! I just read PR's former color guard caption head is now the color guard caption supervisor for Carolina Crown?? :confused3:

Lots of big changes going around, should be an interisting year in 2009!

So I really need to wait for the coffee to kick in before I start surfing the web. At first I thought "Martha Stewart?" :eek:

Santa Clara 2009 show announced....

BALLET FOR MARTHA - Vanguard Summer Program - 2009
October 17, 2008

Born of a 1942 commissioned dance to premiere at the Library of Congress, 'Ballet for Martha' - Aaron Copland's composition for his friend and contemporary Martha Graham, will title the Santa Clara Vanguard summer program in 2009. Drawing upon the original influence of the American spirit, youth, optimism and hope, Copland expanded the Pulitzer Prize-winning ballet score a decade later, borrowing the title Graham used for her new dance, Appalachian Spring.

So I really need to wait for the coffee to kick in before I start surfing the web. At first I thought "Martha Stewart?" :eek:

Santa Clara 2009 show announced....

BALLET FOR MARTHA - Vanguard Summer Program - 2009
October 17, 2008

Born of a 1942 commissioned dance to premiere at the Library of Congress, 'Ballet for Martha' - Aaron Copland's composition for his friend and contemporary Martha Graham, will title the Santa Clara Vanguard summer program in 2009. Drawing upon the original influence of the American spirit, youth, optimism and hope, Copland expanded the Pulitzer Prize-winning ballet score a decade later, borrowing the title Graham used for her new dance, Appalachian Spring.

Copeland has done quite a bit that most people probably haven't heard of. The biggest shocker to me was "Grogh" (sp?). It's a really contemporary ballet that revolved around how a mad scientist of sorts reanimates a corpse.....and falls in love with it. :scared1: There was a corps that did some of the music from the piece a few years ago, although I don't remember who it was at the moment. Also, Lakeland HS marching band from Michigan did it in the mid-90s and their color guard members were all dressed in one-piece, full-body unitards that made them look like bald, nude corpses. I think they took 1st in their division at States. Fun shtuff. :woohoo:

Speaking of major turn-arounds........

Are any of you guys into marching band competitions/BOA, etc.?

Plymouth Canton Educational Park HS has won BOA Grand Nationals 3 times (90, 91, & 99) and has won their State Finals at least 15 times. (Mike Gaines has written their drill for several years.) I used to be in a band that competed against them 3 or 4 times a year, and they were the band to beat.

Anyhoo......last week Plymouth was in 9th place overall in the state ranks!!! Their director had an illness in the family, so someone else took over for this season, and it apparently put some major strain on the success of the group this year. However.........this past weekend Plymouth took 3rd at the State Finals. How the heck do you go from 9th to 3rd in less than a week.....unless politics is involved? :confused3 To make things even more strange, a band that used to always come in 10th or 11th place at State Finals when I marched took 1st this season. They scored an 89.25, but I remember only a few years ago they always used to score in the low 60s. Talk about a turn-around.

What has the world come to????? :scared1:

Last call on this thread!

I'll start the 2009 version tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5rwz_Ga_gI

Oh wow!!! Thanks for the link. What a great way to start the day!

A side story from Finals 08. My 14 yr old niece and I were wandering around the Westin on I & E day and stopped at Starbucks. We saw a couple of SCV jackets and stopped to tell the kids what a great job they were doing. It turned out it was the DMs. My niece was sooooooo thrilled they took the time to shake her hand and ask her what instrument she plays in band (clarinet) and wished her well. She still talks about that chance meeting and how much it meant to her for them to take the time to talk to a 'lowly clarinet'

I will be subscribing to the new thread. We will be heading to Indy on the Monday before finals to spend a week eating and drinking with DCI fans. Right now we have reservations at the Staybridge but will watch the rates at Embassy Suites where we stayed in 08.

I am sooo looking forward to next summer already!

pinnie

Speaking of major turn-arounds........

Are any of you guys into marching band competitions/BOA, etc.?

Plymouth Canton Educational Park HS has won BOA Grand Nationals 3 times (90, 91, & 99) and has won their State Finals at least 15 times. (Mike Gaines has written their drill for several years.) I used to be in a band that competed against them 3 or 4 times a year, and they were the band to beat.

Anyhoo......last week Plymouth was in 9th place overall in the state ranks!!! Their director had an illness in the family, so someone else took over for this season, and it apparently put some major strain on the success of the group this year. However.........this past weekend Plymouth took 3rd at the State Finals. How the heck do you go from 9th to 3rd in less than a week.....unless politics is involved? :confused3 To make things even more strange, a band that used to always come in 10th or 11th place at State Finals when I marched took 1st this season. They scored an 89.25, but I remember only a few years ago they always used to score in the low 60s. Talk about a turn-around.

What has the world come to????? :scared1:

Is it true that the director of the PCEP used to be on staff of the Regiment?

My kids marched with Livonia Stevenson HS and could never, ever compete with PCEP. This year SHS has a new band teacher and director and she is a big DCI fan. Someone told me she had a member of the Cavies on staff as a percussion instructor! Hopefully the band will rebuild and be competitive again!

I remember a few years ago, PCEP hosted a DCI show that was well attended!

pinnie

Is it true that the director of the PCEP used to be on staff of the Regiment?

My kids marched with Livonia Stevenson HS and could never, ever compete with PCEP. This year SHS has a new band teacher and director and she is a big DCI fan. Someone told me she had a member of the Cavies on staff as a percussion instructor! Hopefully the band will rebuild and be competitive again!

I remember a few years ago, PCEP hosted a DCI show that was well attended!

pinnie

From what I understand, the newest director was on staff with Phantom, but I'm not too sure when.

I remember competing with Stevenson. :yay: We loved Livonia because those kids were actually nice. :lmao: Unlike some of the kids from other bands, which shall remain nameless.

Percussion was the only caption we could beat PCEP in. Unfortunately, they'd kick our butts in everything else. Their percussion has come a long way since the early 90s, though. I was pretty amazed by them last year....so it wouldn't surprise me if they've changed around some of the caption heads, especially for percussion.

PCEP has really been an influencial force in the marching arts over the past 20+ years. In the late 80s and early 90s they weren't afraid to try new things and even get all "artsy". I know they're the reason I took a huge interest in marching band and drum corps.......not to mention they were responsible for introducing me to the music of Stephen Sondheim about 17 years ago, which I love them for. :woohoo: They started doing things creatively with band that has become almost standard today with both marching bands and drum corps. Unfortunately, there's a very very fine line between the two activities now. Last year, when I saw PCEP's BOA Finals performance (as amazingly clean and solid as it was) I was amazed at how much it felt like a modern drum corps show. I think the two performing arts venues have come to a crossroads where they're both starting to feel like one another.....and I'm not sure I like that. Since PCEP has an insanely high yearly budget they can afford to hire the best DCI staff to help with their program, and it shows........but is that a good thing?

On a side note.......I saw what PCEP's budget was for the months of August through November a couple years ago, and can I just say.......:scared1: It's more than 3 times as much as what my alma mater is currently working with. Yowza!

edit:
I just did a little research. The band that placed first in Michigan's State Finals this year (you know.....the one who never broke the top 6 until recently) now also has the same visual caption head as PCEP. Iiiiiiiiiinteresting. :scratchin

2008 was a great season! I look forward to 2009 and hopefully seeing a drum corps show in Orlando!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter