14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

Oh @schumigirl. I think it is great that you are so brave and can look for whatever good there was in your recent trip. I know it was a terrible disappointment not to have our DISmeet, and it made everything else taste like ashes in your mouth. Don't worry though. Time heals all wounds.
:joker:

Now that made me laugh!!!!

Been a busy couple of days with one thing and another so was glad of a smile...….:D Yes, we were both sorry to miss you on this trip...…..we recovered well...….:rotfl:

We ended up in St Augustine on the Monday, but we went with a friend and would leave with his schedule, so couldn't plan to meet that day...….but pencil us in for September.....and no Lent then...….:thumbsup2 We were lucky as Orlando weather that day was dreadful, overcast and cool......we had glorious sunshine and was quite warm.....

Such a beautiful city!!!

Yay! Been crazy here (will email you), but thought I'd check in and see where you're at! Looking forward to full trip report!!! <3

Coming right up!!!!

Now you know that last few days has been a bit stressful, you`ll know why I was MIA...….back home tonight.....

So, yes, hope to start tomorrow...…..:thumbsup2

Yes, coming home is lovely....something very welcoming about seeing your own bed!!!

We would have loved him to be with us, but don't think he wants to use all his vacation time on us....although he does enjoy our time together...…

Yes, laundry is always first and foremost when we get home......I love when it`s all done.....and feel much happier when it`s completely done!!! Think I`m quite sad really being happy when all laundry is done.....lol.....

We did have a few nice items to eat and drink......and one or two not so nice!!!! Most were lovely as always.....

Hi glad that you made it home and had a great time. I am looking forward to your new report. I love all your pictures it brings me back to my trips and I enjoy it. I keep looking at your other reports and writing down restaurants off site for us to go this June.

Thanks bobbie………

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow and we did have a few lovely meals......it was such a lovely trip!!!

Glad you made it home safely! Can't wait to read another fabulous trip report!

Thanks so much...….

Should get started tomorrow.....been a few delays this week, but back home now and need to get it started soon before May is here!!!!

It is just around the corner...…..:D

I have been reading your trip reports and love them, on my lunch hours (since its cold here in NJ and I couldn't take my walks), I had to join the boards and let you know you and your husband are fabulous! I love the drink photos, the airport, all of it! I am so jealous you get to go for that amount time! Lucky! I cannot wait to read this one!

WELCOME along Janice...…..:wave2:

I am so glad you have come out of lurkdom and joined us......and thank you so much for the lovely compliments...….I take them all...….::yes:: :D Oh, yep, I love the airport and everything it has there.....well, on the way out of course.....on the way back, not so much!!!

I can imagine the cold you get where you live......as I`m sure you know I hate the cold.....lol...…

Will be starting tomorrow, so I genuinely hope you enjoy this one too...….look forward to seeing more of your posts...….and Welcome to the Dis too.....:goodvibes

Well, it seems like such a long time again since I started this, but really it was just over a month ago......and the trip came around so quickly after Christmas was over.....so we really didn't feel it was a huge gap between our December trip and this first one of the year.....then all of a sudden the trip was upon us.

So...…..onwards we go...……..

TRAVEL TO AIRPORT DAY
FRIDAY MAY 8TH

As usual, I awoke around 4am due to excitement and always a little nervous before any trip....I often wonder if I`m the only one who worries constantly about everything, but of course I know I`m not alone there....worrying is second nature to most of us....and I haven't quite learned how not to worry about some things......some things though I can easily put out of my mind and behind me and wonder why with others they stay with me......aren't we funny creatures.

I lay quietly trying to get back to sleep, but it naturally evades me as always on travel day. I finally hear Kyle up as he is going into work early again today, and our visitors are up also and heading out soon.....I head downstairs and Kyle is already having breakfast, it is only 6.30 and our visitors are leaving for the day and going into London, not far from us by train.

I chat with Kyle and pass the time while he gets his suit on and comes back down ready to head off.....his dad is downstairs now too ready to wave him off again......Kyle is upbeat this morning as he usually is, so it kind of rubs off on us too......not easy though. As with every other trip, we hate leaving him and wish he was coming with us...but we have December to look forward to again.....so with many hugs, well wishes on both sides, and only one little tear (I am getting better) Kyle sets off out of the drive as we maniacally wave him all the way along.....once he`s out of sight Tom glances at me nervously and wonders if I`m going to cry or...…..not...…..

And I actually am. It`s only for two weeks and I know he`s fine...….he is busy with work and looking forward to heading up to Scotland with work for two weeks when we get back home....so he has a lot to be going on with and look forward to.

For us, once I have had my shower and hair done, I think about breakfast.....easy this morning.....toast and preserves......and a big pot of tea. We eat fairly quickly and then go around tidying up and making sure we have all our last minute stuff packed into cases....but as usual, more importantly we check we have our passports......anything else we can replace or buy, but without them we don't go anywhere......and we check a further 854 times before we set off and once when we set off I`m sure...…..last minute things don't take long as we are more or less organised having packed the night before it really is making sure we have essentials.

I give my mum a call and chat to her for a while, she is going through a procedure while we are away, which thankfully turned out well but even so, knowing we will be so far away while it is happening is a concern. She is 84 but fit as a fiddle both mentally and physically......she wishes us a safe trip and a fantastic vacation and said to make sure we don't just decide to stay there permanently...….lol.....she always says that.....if only!!!!

This year we decided to give a new mode of transport a try to get us to and from the airport. Usually we drive, but with the long journey home then an almost 4 hour drive to our home, we are shattered by the time we get in. We took the train last September and enjoyed that, but we couldn't see our luggage. So despite that being a concern we would take the train again. We booked a local car service who do airport runs regardless of distance, and although we are a fair bit away from Manchester down here, it is our preferred airport.....so we contacted them and asked if they could take us on those dates and they said yes, they could. We have actually booked them for our May trip and our return in September. December we will drive.

We had booked them to be here at 9am, and at 8.45 we saw them drive in the gates......they did say they were prompt.....we hadn't met them before and immediately liked our driver.....lady drivers are a service that seems to be lacking around here, although that wasn't a concern for us, I can understand why many will like that and feel a little more confident in booking them, especially if they are on their own...... we have a car service local to us that we use if we need a car, but had never used this business before. We would be so happy to use them again.

So, we settled in and chatted like old friends instantly. It was weird being driven such a distance by a relative stranger but we enjoyed the journey....and it seemed a lot quicker than our usual journey....and before we knew it we were pulling into the Radisson......in time for a 1pm lunch......always handy!!!!

We paid the driver and you pay for the return journey too at the one time, we added in the tip for one way and would tip the other way too. It`s lovely to find a reliable service that you know you can count on, so it was worth every penny. It was more expensive than getting the train, but we are glad we did it....and would be more so on the return journey!!

The Radisson is our preferred airport hotel. We have stayed her many times over many years and always enjoy it. But, as always you can see things creeping in as charges that used to be complimentary.....for example a runway view used to be only a request with no charge. Then it went to £10 ($13) not a great deal to add on as we do like a runway view. But we noticed this time when we looked, runway view rooms were around £45 -£70 a night extra.....($60-$90) depending on the exchange rate...….not quite sure that's worth it....we don't mind paying for anything if it`s worth it, but this does seem a little cheeky.....

So this time our room was not runway facing, instead we had a view of the skywalk and the city in the distance...and we could see planes coming in from the right.....we would be happy with that.....we did have the lounge of we needed a plane watching fix...

This is an older picture of the Radisson from the car park...….wish it had been as sunny as this today....but it is quite a nice looking hotel, for an airport anyway...….

i-TVzdrr9-XL.jpg

We were dropped off by the front revolving doors on the other side of the hotel above, and this is where we would be picked up again.....like most airports now, they charge for folks to pick you up from the terminal, but free at the moment from here....I`m sure it`ll change soon.

Ground floor is very pretty and we do take a few pictures here before going up to check in on the 9th floor.....3rd floor if you aren't staying in the executive rooms...…

The hotel is always immaculately clean throughout.....and staff are friendly.

IMG_9628-XL.jpg

This is the area they have their Christmas tree up for the holidays.....and it`s always so pretty...…

IMG_9626%20%282%29-XL.jpg

First narcissistic selfie of the trip...…....

IMG_9632%20%282%29-XL.jpg

We mistakenly get off at 3rd floor...….doh!!!! Lobby is large and airy and staff are always so pleasant and professional......but we get back in the elevator and hope someone is working the little check in desk upstairs...…

IMG_9655%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Claudia is indeed sitting at the desk....sometimes they have a sign up saying go down to 3 to check in, but she remembers us again and remembers the jokey conversation we had about marrying Kyle off to the lovely young lady who was sat beside her training......it`s always lovely to see staff who are familiar...…turns out she has gone back home. She didn't fully settle in Manchester. Shame as she was a lovely girl.

We chat for ages and forget we are checking in...….we are early but there is a room ready or we can wait for a runway view, but today we decide just to take the first room and get sorted. Its a dull day now so there wont be much to see anyways.…….low cloud and rain don't make nice views outside...…

Our room is as always sparkling clean, and smells so fresh....although I think the lady had just finished the room a few seconds before we walked into it...…..

IMG_9602%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9599%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9591-XL.jpg

IMG_9593%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Complimentary water is nice, and you can ask for more without a charge which is unusual......we don't usually ask for extra but the idea is nice if you do need more. Coffee machine we never use, but we do sometimes use the kettle to make some tea......but, we do boil it 3 or 4 times before we use it.....you never know what it`s been used for...…after reading what some folks use coffee makers, kettles and irons for, we now think twice!!!

IMG_9597%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9596-XL.jpg

We use the bathroom and then grab my bag and head into the very quiet and empty Executive Lounge...this time of day it`s never busy...…and always beautifully kept.

IMG_9603%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9612%20%282%29-XL.jpg

There are teas, coffee, orange juice, water and sodas available all day....along with little snacks like olives and pretzel type snack....also, white chocolates which are quite nice.....Tom did enjoy them!!! There used to be bottles of beer available too, but I guess it was abused in some way as it stopped some time ago. Beers come out at 5pm along with liquor and wines where you just help yourself...….alcohol is available till 9pm where the snack foods are from 5-7.30pm...…..

The snacks aren't brilliant, and I doubt you could make a meal out of them......it really is just little appetisers.

IMG_9610-XL.jpg

IMG_9611%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9613%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Although the view out of the window today wasn't the best.....we were surprised to see one of the Virgin fleet sitting on the tarmac in the middle of nowhere...…

IMG_9615-XL.jpg

We left the lounge to go down to lunch in the Little M bar.....this was our tradition for lunch and usually a bottle of prosecco to go with it...….signals the start of our trip once again...…

IMG_9617%20%282%29-XL.jpg

It`s always a mix of folks in the bar during the day…….lots of business folks, and the odd smattering of folks like us who will be jetting off somewhere nice the next day......today it seems to be mostly business folks...…

We bag a booth and we order our prosecco and decide to share a couple of things for lunch......I am ravenous right now as it had been a long time since breakfast.....the menu here is nice, not too many choices and food has always been lovely.....

Our prosecco arrives and we see one of the staff we have known for many years......Ibrahim is always a delight to see and always makes you feel incredibly welcome....and one of the busiest men in the hotel....but he takes the time to chat and catch up with our plans, and we hear some of his for the year...….very nice man and we remember many years ago when he was a waiter in here and was always so pleasant to talk to, now he has nicely worked his way up the ladder and well deserved as he is such a lovely man.

IMG_9621%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Our food arrives next and it does look lovely...….we opted to share the Italian meat feast and a club sandwich...…

IMG_9623%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9625%20%282%29-XL.jpg

The food was lovely...…..I did prefer the sandwich as the tomato sauce for the pizza was quite strong.....and I, despite Italian friends telling me off, I like a BBQ sauce base...….but it was nice and the sandwich was chock full of chicken and bacon.….

We sit for a while and relax a little more than usual...….chatting and talking of what will be ahead on this trip for us again...….

A while later we head off and go back to the Executive lounge for a coffee and another chill out.....yep, there`s a theme with this trip already.....chilling out!!!

I had a coke and tried one of the little chocolates which were ok, Tom had two coffees...….and as the afternoon wore on the lounge did get a little busier.....not by much though. It has only been mobbed once we were in it and that wasn't fun, but last few visits it`s been pleasantly quiet. Some people chat and some don't......we always seem to find the chatty people for some reason...….hmmmm……

At around 5pm a few more folks come in as they serve the alcohol and snacks...….

Tom and I get a glass of wine each and have a look at the snacks...….there were more including crackers, spring rolls and little mini pork pies which according to Tom were the blandest thing he had ever tried.

I love brie and spicy chorizo so I had a little taster plate....the cheese stick things were also bland...…

IMG_9633%20%282%29-XL.jpg

The lounge is always a pleasant atmosphere except tonight there were some folks who decided it might be ok to curse as if they were in there own home.....yes, I`m sure we can all curse at times, I`m no prude, but it`s not hard to not curse in a place where there are other folks around and I`m sure it wasn't just us who didn't want to hear it.

We sat till around 7.30pm and then went to our room to chat to Kyle......just a brief catch up before we left......then we went down to the restaurant for dinner.....some folks may make a meal of the appetisers in the lounge, but for us, we`d rather not and have a proper meal.

The Collage is a nice place, not the largest menu and less items than they used to have, but it`s a nice place to eat and so convenient. Many folks take a cab to a pub 5 minutes away that serves much cheaper food and is supposed to be alright, but again, convenience wins out for us and we are a captive audience for them here.

IMG_9657%20%282%29-XL.jpg

We get a nice booth and order a bottle of wine...….yes, there is complimentary wine up in the lounge, but this is much nicer and the wine list although not huge, has a good few choices.

And I do like the waiter pours and asks me to taste......I like that!!! Some will automatically go to the man, but Tom usually suggests to them I try as I know more about wine than he does.....(not really) But, this is a nice wine.

IMG_9644%20%282%29-XL.jpg

IMG_9640%20%282%29-XL.jpg

It is a very airy restaurant through the front part, it is darker or maybe I should describe it as cosier through the back areas.....but for tonight we chose this booth out front.

IMG_9652%20%282%29-XL.jpg

If I`m honest, we aren't exactly starving tonight, but we both order fish and chips, which isn't a huge portion, and we very much believe in just eating what we feel like eating and leaving some if we are full......and the fish and chips here is beautiful...….I know the fish is fresh and not frozen which does make a difference...…the chips are generic frozen chips (fries) so we leave most of them and happily devour the delicious battered fish which is so tasty and fresh...…

IMG_9646%20%282%29-XL.jpg

This is another relaxing place......there`s no rush to leave so we can take our time and enjoy the restaurant.....

But, eventually we decide to call it a night and we head back up to our room...…..

This is very pretty in real life, but the camera just didn't capture the twinkling lights that it has all around the balconies.....

IMG_9658%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Once in the room, we sort out clothes for tomorrow and anything we may need goes into hand luggage.....I get the ipad and do online check in, and again it doesn't allow us both to check in. Sometimes you can`t and a note appears saying you have just been randomly chosen for an extra search and will be able to check in as normal tomorrow...….but, Tom has been chosen for this tomorrow....takes seconds, so it`s not something we worry about. We have to go to the desk anyway as we don't print off our boarding cards tonight, we always just get them at the airport.

We make a quick cup of tea in the room and watch some tv. Again, I can`t remember what we watched, but I soon rather to my surprise started to feel incredibly tired and slowly began to disappear under the duvet and apparently I was asleep before Tom even noticed I had stopped watching the movie/tv show we were watching...….

The beds are comfortable and huge and so quiet...….one of the things we love about this hotel is how quiet the rooms are usually......although famous last words!!!!

I'm with you on the coffee pot thing. I have no idea what the previous occupants have been doing, so I don't trust using the coffee makers in any room. I usually bring my own electric kettle and our French Press so we can have coffee. Of course, we don't fly, so that isn't an issue. We got back on Wednesday evening after four fabulous nights at Universal. Mardi Gras was amazing, and I'm so glad we got to experience it! My husband and kids were delighted catching all the beads!

I'm with you on the coffee pot thing. I have no idea what the previous occupants have been doing, so I don't trust using the coffee makers in any room. I usually bring my own electric kettle and our French Press so we can have coffee. Of course, we don't fly, so that isn't an issue. We got back on Wednesday evening after four fabulous nights at Universal. Mardi Gras was amazing, and I'm so glad we got to experience it! My husband and kids were delighted catching all the beads!

lol......since I joined the Dis and read some of the comments from folks that do use the stuff in rooms for all sorts of things.....we just abstain from using them...….oh you do right, bring your own and you know it`s clean and not had anything suspect in it!!!

Glad you had such a fabulous trip!!! We enjoyed Mardi Gras too, it was so much fun.....I`m happy you enjoyed it....and oh the beads!!!!!! So many beads...……::yes::

We gave a load away to kids as no way was I shuffling them back in our cases.....I may have kept a few purple ones.....lol.....no idea what to do with them now!!! Think my friends little Granddaughter will claim them at some point!!!

My husband is a teacher, and he's using them for some sort of classroom activity.

Well, at least he has a use for them...:thumbsup2

Everyone is so competitive over those little plastic beads......we howled with laughter one of the nights we were there......seems I upset someone for being taller than her...…..:rotfl: I`m not exactly a giant at 5`7!!!

And we are off to a great start!

Uh oh, I usually love a good cliff hanger but thinking it’s about to go south

You can’t get much closer than that airport hotel, love the modern decor. Seems like all major chains are cutting the fat where they can. I tend to book Hilton properties, with the online checkin feature 24 hrs prior on the app can often snag a nicer view room, sometimes even a suite.

Did you ever see the video expose of one of my favorite resorts (contemporary @ WDW)? Hidden camera showed the housekeeping using her cleaning rag to wipe out the coffee cups :faint:. More than a few youtube videos where woman advocate rinsing their pantyhose/unmentionables in the coffee maker’s basket. I haven’t drank from one since lol, well other than the Loews keurigs.:thumbsup2

Yay! The official TR has started. And with a bit of a cliffhanger...

Glad everything went well with your mother! No matter how grown we become, your mom is always your mom:lovestruc

And we are off to a great start!

Uh oh, I usually love a good cliff hanger but thinking it’s about to go south

You can’t get much closer than that airport hotel, love the modern decor. Seems like all major chains are cutting the fat where they can. I tend to book Hilton properties, with the online checkin feature 24 hrs prior on the app can often snag a nicer view room, sometimes even a suite.

Did you ever see the video expose of one of my favorite resorts (contemporary @ WDW)? Hidden camera showed the housekeeping using her cleaning rag to wipe out the coffee cups :faint:. More than a few youtube videos where woman advocate rinsing their pantyhose/unmentionables in the coffee maker’s basket. I haven’t drank from one since lol, well other than the Loews keurigs.:thumbsup2

Thanks...…..

lol......maybe a little South West...…..but.....only for a very short time!!!! I have a very loud voice when need be...…:laughing:

I heard about that video!!! Gross.....I can imagine sometimes you really don't want to know what happens.....nevertheless, we always rinse glasses before we use any of them.....the very thought makes me shudder!!! But, have never heard of the youtube women giving advice like that!!!!! Gross!!!! Who are these women and how do they live in the real world!!! I will Google it later...….although.....do I want to???? :scratchin

I like Hilton Hotels...….there is one at this airport, and I`ve booked it for mum and I in June before we go to NY again......couldn't get a room with 2 beds at the Radisson and the Hilton had an excellent room available for around half the price of Radisson......only a two minute shuttle to the terminal, so I jumped on it......:thumbsup2

I'm here and ready to go on another trip with you and Tom!!! :surfweb: Thanks for taking us along!!! :wave2:

YAY...….Welcome back....….

Glad to see you.....I finally managed to get this started today......should have been earlier.....but life happens at times...….

Will try and get through it as quick as I can...…..:wave2:

Yay! The official TR has started. And with a bit of a cliffhanger...

Glad everything went well with your mother! No matter how grown we become, your mom is always your mom:lovestruc

Hey Lori...….yay!!!!

Thank you......it was an enormous worry while we were there, but we had to just not think about it till we got back.....yes, I kinda knew she`d be fine.....but....well, yes. I guess it`s almost the same as....I`m still the "baby" and I`ll never be anything else.....lol.....

Cliffhanger was funny more than anything......well, I thought it was :rotfl:......strange thing is, the almost identical thing happened to mum and I in our Long Island hotel few years back...……::yes::

Have the pictures all uploaded now, will send you off the ones we took on our meet later......did you want the food pictures too or just us??? And we never got a picture of all three of us together!!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter