12/16/2004 Wonder

Hi All! Just thought I'd check in--16 weeks from today. I have to admit, we have been kind of "floundering", thinking maybe we should cancel. We've never been on a cruise & I feel we definitely got a good deal, but DH works at a school & they have all agreed to a pay freeze in the wake of 2 failed levies. I don't know how any of your school funding is, but ours stinks!! School levies are failing everywhere, we now have to pay for our children to participate in extracurriculars, school fees have gone up, we've lost our bussing, etc. Soooo, we're trying to decide what to do before cancelling would incur a penalty. We currently have BCV booked for 4 nights after the cruise through our DVC, & the way break falls, we would only be pulling the kids out of school for 3 days to have the cruise. It's just hard, b/c having never been on a cruise, I guess I don't know what I'm missing so it seems easier to just not go, but the way our schedules are getting (we have 5 kids), I'm afraid we won't have another opportunity to do this before my oldest graduates in 3 yrs.

So, thanks for letting me vent all that's swimming around in my head!! Feel free to give me your $.02--I think I'm waiting for someone to talk me into or out of doing this! Hope everyone's kiddos have had (or will have) a great start back to school! ~Dardi

I'll be the first to try to talk you into it. Cruises, at least to my family, are the most relaxing type of vacation we've had. I was a bit apprehensive before taking my Voyager cruise this summer - mainly because it was my idea but wanted everybody to have as much fun and be as excited as I was. Now we are all hooked and can't wait until our December cruises. We even cancelled our plan to go to WDW after this cruise and instead are hopping on the Carnival Fantasy out of Port Canaveral just hours after we get back on the Wonder.

From the financial perspective, only you have the answer to that one. In the long run, will it matter? will the kids be fed? have shoes? etc. This is a great rate for a cruise - going a week later would have been more than double for us - seems crazy for the same ship and the same itinerary.

Lastly, I suspect you've been keeping up on the threads regarding EmmasGrammy's tragedy. It's a testament to how short life can be and how quickly it can change. I think of this as I plan family time - a cruise allows for more family time than we normally get due to our hectic busy lives. And, since the kids are kept busy a lot of the time, it's a chance for you and your husband to reconnect as adults.

You now have my .02 worth.

I totally understand. I am an educator too. The pay sucks. People think that because we have summers off we should not complain. Many teachers do not have summers off...we teach or tutor or work on the mall or whatever we can to make ends meet.

Teachers always have and continue to make the world go around. AND most do it because we have a passion for it.

I am a special education teacher, working with emotionally disturbed students. I am kicked, punched, bitten and scratched --all in a day's work, sometimes. I NEED a cruise. :-)

It will be a sacrifice for us to cruise and vacation...but like another poster said, our kids will have food, clothes, shelter, etc...so we will bite the bullet and do without some extras for a little R-n-R and some lasting memories. This will be our 2nd Disney cruise and even though our first one was four years ago...we have not stopped reminiscing over it. It is, in our opinion money well spent.

A friend of ours likes to say, "What are you working for if you don't use the money for pleasure when you can?"

If you are a faith-based person, just know that He has his eye on even the little sparrow... so He will take care of you, too.

Thank you, Travellady! Your $.02 is priceless. I actually have been away from the boards awhile but somehow came across the horrible tragedy you are referring to. In addition, one of my dearest friends at this time last week was fine (had been feeling tired, but attributed it to other things) & is now on a ventilator with a diagnosis of AML (Acute Myloid Leukemia). They have almost lost her a few times, but she finally seems to be taking some "baby steps" forward. Time will tell. These times really make you take stock in what's going on, how often you've told your children & spouse how much you love them, etc.

So, in your opinion, aside from the cost of the actual cruise, how much do you think we can get away with as far as extra expenses? We do not go crazy on alcoholic beverages (okay, so my DH might partake of a beer--MIGHT--& I might have some tropical drink just to say I did!:rolleyes: ) & from what I've read, we don't necessarily have to do any excursions. Someone told me that since it's our first cruise & b/c it's short we might just want to explore/enjoy the boat. I read about tipping (yikes!). What do you think?

Again, thank you for your input. It hit me where it counts--in my heart--now if my brain would just cooperate!

LOL--sdwjones, we must have been posting at the same time!! My DH is a school administrator, he was a teacher first. I'm not sure which is more thankless!! We are a faith-based family (thankfully...after some of the trials life has brought & continues to bring, I'm afraid if we weren't, we'd be pretty hopeless!). I think I struggle w/ this cruise decision sometimes b/c of my faith b/c I don't want to feel like I'm being excessive, extravagant, or something. I don't tell people often that we own DVC b/c I feel like they'll look at me like, "You're a one income family (I stay home w/ the kids), you have bills out the wazoo, blah, blah, blah" But, that's when I think, "Yep, we have lots of bills, but they're getting paid, the kids are fed, & as my MIL would say, I haven't asked anyone for a loaf of bread!" I treasure our family time & it just seems that the kids will be gone before I know it! I wish I had a switch to turn off my brain sometimes! :D

This will be our 2nd cruise and we still don't plan to do excursions. We'll save that $$ and enjoy the boat and maybe do a little walking tour! We have had a chance to see Nassau before and will enjoy the boat much more than an excursion...but that's just us. Many others really do enjoy the excursions, so it's just a personal decision.

We'll use our spending money for a few drinks and photos.

So...the 60 day mark has passed. Everyone still on board? Paid off the cruise? Getting ready? Can't wait? We know how you feel!

Our DD, who is now 8, doesn't remember much about her first cruise nearly 5 years ago, so she is really excited. It will the be the first Disney trip of any kind for our DS, who is 15 months old. We're doing the parks after the cruise and until Christmas Day. I have just started to buy a few things we'll need, but I don't really know yet how to pack for December weather on a cruise. Any suggestions?

We are counting the days and can't wait. I thought I'd check out availability on Travelocity now that the 60 day mark had passed and it looks like we'll have a decent crowd though not full. It's funny but I'm in a cat 7 on Deck 5 and only 3 of the 10 Cat 7's look to be booked on this deck. All others are available so if people don't hurry and get booked by the time we sail, sounds like it will be nice an quiet down in our area.

DISNEYMOMx5 - are you still onboard with us? Your last posting had you really thinking about it. We're hoping you still plan to go - cruises are a great way to have family time but get mom and dad alone time as well. I look forward to both of these.

Also, we cancelled our plans to sail on the 4 day Fantasy with one of my 25 year old sons 8 hours after the Wonder docks in Port Canaveral. Instead, we are headed over to Tampa the next day to sail a 5 day Western Caribbean on the Inspiration. One extra day and different itinerary than the Wonder - for this trip we go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman (if open after the devastating hurrincane).

So, I'm double psyched and the days are passing all too slowly - especially now that the winter rains have taken hold up here in the Great Northwest. I'm praying for sunshine during these 2 cruises!

Yes, we are still on board!!! We paid our final payment the beginning of this month.
We are really looking forward to this cruise, and our whole Orlando Vacation!!:Pinkbounc We leave for Orlando on the 3rd to spend almost 2 weeks at the parks and the other various things to do in Orlando. We have been saving up vacation time so that we could go and not feel like we need to rush around to see everything. This way I hope it is more relaxing and don't get vacation burn out. But we booked the cruise for last so we can still recouperate on the beaches.:sunny:

See you all there!!

Here's a heads-up for you first-timers with kids. Try not to schedule any spa treatments or other appointments on the last full day between 4-7. That's usually when the kids who have been attending the Oceaneer's Club/Lab participate in a little show with Mickey Mouse for the parents on the big theatre stage.

I cancelled a much-anticipated spa treatment on our first cruise to attend because I didn't know about it earlier. It is a very cute slide show and sing-a-long with Mickey. The kids get souvenir t-shirts. Bring your video camera and a box of tissue. I got a little "misty" and was just feeling so blessed to have been able to cruise with my family. I'm sure I'll feel the same way this time, too. Seeing my DD in that little show (she was SO tiny in the smallest t-shirt they had, which looked like a big dress on her) was worth a few missed spa treatments. :D We watch the video every now and then and laugh. Now the t-shirt is so little, her baby brother wears it. Time really FLIES!

Hello, everyone! Just before the 60 day mark, we decided to cancel. It was such a difficult decision, but I think it's for the best. I think I mentioned that we are in a pay to participate mode in our school district b/c of failed levies. Well, my oldest DD just made basketball cheerleading ($350 + shoes, etc) & I've got 2 doing swim team, & the list goes on. Not to mention my DH is already taking heat for the days he's taking off for our trip to Disney. (Must be nice to be so needed :rolleyes: ) Anyways, we are happy with our decision b/c we will still have a nice vacation at BCV & since we're not doing the cruise, my parents have decided to come with us again! (Two years ago was their very first trip & now they're hooked!)

So, bon voyage in advance!! We'll look forward to our first cruise another time!

DISNEYMOMx5 - sorry you won't be joining us. I know how plans can change and I'm glad to hear you'll still be having fun and with additional family.

We had initially planned on going to WDW after the cruise but when one of my 25 year olds decided to join us in Florida, we opted for another cruise instead of WDW as that's what he really wanted to do. To me, it's far more important to spend time with family in a relaxing mode when you can. Life is all too short!!!

One of these days, when the time is right, you'll find yourself cruising the Bahamas or the sunny Caribbean on a Disney ship :-)

Hi,
Wow! I'm glad to hear about all the people going on the December 16, 2004 sailing.
We will have several young people with our group of 18 people.
We will have a 10, 13, 17, 18, 2-19 year olds and older adults who are kids at heart. We are located on deck 6 (is what the initial paperwork from AAA states). I am hoping we get our documents soon. It is getting close...26 days until the cruise, but 22 day until we arrive in Orlando. We are staying at the Pop resort before and after the cruise.
I have enjoyed reading the posts. I hope to maybe visit with some of you on the cruise.

I'm assuming we should start getting our cruise documents in the next week or two. I don't remember exactly when we got ours before our last cruise, since it's been 5 years. I do remember how it exciting it was to get them.

The only "stress" I'm experiencing this time around is packing for hot/cold/whatever kind of weather we'll experience. DH is hot natured and will wear shorts in 30-degree weather, so he is easy to pack for, but I am very cold natured, so I'll be packing clothes for "layers" for me and the kiddos.

I'll check back in whenever I receive cruise documents!:earsgirl:

Hey everybody! We are now in the teens :earseek: Wow, we are all very excited! Still does not seem like we are REALLY going:p

We are getting very close!!!
We are getting in to Orlando Dec 3, so we decided to get our cruise Docs as a pier pick up to avoid missing them. Hope that goes well.
I have been reading on the boards about state room magnets. I have made one to stick on my door. Is anybody else going to be doing this?
I agree that packing is a challenge, and it makes the suitcases fuller than I would like. But it is the price we have to pay to have fun!!!:sunny:

See you all there!!!

:earsgirl: :earsboy: princess: princess:

Well, I received docs for our 12/20 Inspiration cruise last week but still no docs for the 12/16 Wonder. Oh well, I'm partially dancing :cheer2:

I'm getting ready to make a list of all the things we need to do before we leave such as stopping the paper, the mail, getting the dog ready before she heads off to Doggy Haven Resort (well, it's the kennel but I hate to think of sending her off to the kennel and this is a really nice place where she gets spoiled), figure out what clothes to pack, ensuring all our travel papers are in order etc. etc. Thankfully, we celebrated Xmas with my husband's family over Thanksgiving so much less gift shopping to do. But I do need to get those Xmas cards purchased, written, stamped and mailed. And we do want to put up a tree, at least a small one. And there are still the kids and husband to shop for. And I have to make those Xmas cookies like I do every year. I will be more than ready to board the ship come 12/16.

Now if only those docs would show up in my mailbox real soon...

Our Wonder docs arrived today so now I'm jumping. :jumping4:
14 short days and we're outta here headed to Orlando and then on to Port Canaveral. Now that the grey Northwest winter rains have really set in, I am so ready for this trip. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter