“Why take them?, They won’t remember”

I agree with many others that it depends if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip and if the parents aren't that into Disney themselves. If so, waiting until the kids are older could make a lot more sense.

For us, we were already going to WDW once or twice a year because we loved going as a couple. We waited until after DS turned one to take him and we were itching to go back. DS is now two and has been twice, and we have two more trips planned for this year. Taking him has been magical and we have amazing memories and photos from our trips. There is a lot of research out there about how much kids develop in their first few years, and I can definitely see new experiences and environments playing a role in that. He is so happy on our trips and is constantly learning new words and concepts the entire time. We also don't shy away from nicer restaurants like California Grill since it's Disney and there are bound to be other kids there anyway. He's gotten used to eating out at restaurants (which is every day on vacation but not the case at home) so it's not an issue to take him with us. We were actually amazed how easy it was to do a WDW vacation with a toddler (it really is so kid-friendly) and seeing how much fun he was having made it totally worth it. The hardest part is probably trying to keep him entertained on the plane ride from the west coast!

We also got comments from those who didn't understand why we were taking him when he's so little. These were mainly from people who haven't been to WDW and just assume that it means long lines, exhaustion, and cranky kids. There is also a bit of a learning curve with the planning process and those who are unfamiliar with it can feel overwhelmed. I'm used to planning our Disney trips, and we haven't done the parks all day for many years now since we enjoy relaxing and spending time at the resorts, plus we go back often enough that we don't feel like we're missing out on anything. We book ADRs and FPs in advance and avoid long lines altogether. We have enough downtime that everyone's rested and not cranky. I feel like a lot of our friends would actually love it if they gave it a chance, but a lot of them never will. I think they're missing out!

Well, everyone will answer differently! For US personally we would never ever take a toddler to Disney. Just too much money and the amount of meltdowns I saw from toddlers last week was craaaaaazy! I would be really frustrated if I had to deal with meltdowns all week and with the heat + the long hours.. there are going to be meltdowns! My kids are 6 and 7 and they were a perfect age to take. No meltdowns, just happy happy happy and grateful which I so appreciated. Not saying it's the wrong choice for people to take little ones, it's just not something I would personally be able to handle and have a good time too. lol.

Not all kids have melt downs. We started taking our kids when they were 1 and 2 years old and have gone every year since. They are now teens. There are reasons that kids(and adults) "melt down". The goal is to know the triggers and avoid them. We always went in Sept. the crowds where lower but it was still crazy hot. We took it slow, had lots of breaks, drank plenty of water, ate decent meals, and got plenty of sleep = no meltdowns.

My kids went to Disney when they were 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. When someone tells me it's a waste of money because they won't remember anything or they want to wait until their kids are older, I always answer that I went to WDW for the first time at 13 yo and I barely remember anything. I much prefer to bring them when they are in the prime Disney age (4-7 yo imo) so they enjoy their vacation 150% than when they will be too old for believing in magic and pixie dust. The added benefit is that they are now loving Disney as much as I do so we'll probably continue visiting one of the Disney park or DCL for many years! As for people that ask me when is the best time to bring their kids for a once in a lifetime trip I always answer around 4-6 yo or as soon as they hit 42 inches.

I have a question and want to assure myself I’m not crazy as to thinking this way.

Recently I was talking about how I would totally take my kids (i currently have none but when I do!) to Disney when there are young, probbly 2-3 becauseof how much fun they would have. and I was bombarded!! By people saying “why take them when they are young they won’t remember it” “Disney is not for kids it’s more for adults” “why drag a kid along just for your fun” “it’s borderline tourtue to take a kid that small in the Florida hear” and these seemed to be the only argument people had. and it made me stop and think.

Are people really only thinking about the memories? About the fact that the kid won’t remember the trip in 3 years? And becuase they won’t it Dosent justifi the cost of going on the trip all togather

In my opioion it’s complelty worth it to take a 2(almost 3) year old to Disney.they still believe it’s real,they are FREE and yes you have to do things at a slower pace.but are those experiences and memories not worth it?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! I am very curious on this topic
:-)

SOOO worth it! My husband and I were thinking exactly what you've heard- not worth the cost if she won't remember it! MIL talked us into it after offering to pay for board through a time share and the car rental (family vacay with MIL and FIL). Our daughter was 2 going on 3 over the trip.
1) It was a huge money saver to not have to buy her a ticket or pay for her at character buffets.
2) She LOVED it! I know that the memories may fade, but right now, 3 months later, she absolutely remembers certain things and will bring them up. We also took photos and videos, and she rewatches the videos of when she "met" Minnie, etc. She randomly brings up when we went on the fun boat ride at the animal kingdom and saw horses (Na'vi River Journey), meeting Flik (also AK), the boat ride in the Mexican Pavilion, and the Winnie the Pooh ride and play area. She was turning 3 over the trip and I ordered her a chocolate Mickey ear cake. She thought Minnie Mouse had made it for her and she still brings up the cake "that Minnie made for me."
3) The slower pace was not a big deal for us. We did fast passes and went back to the resort for nap time and stayed there (DH and I took a few date nights back at the parks) We still were able to experience so much, and we just knew that we weren't going to worry about doing everything. Even in a half day, with fast passes and reservations, we experienced SO much.

So, yeah, probably like everyone else my daughter (and anyone's young kids) won't remember this 10 years from now. But if you will enjoy the trip, your kids absolutely will, and you'll have the memories. If it's in your budget and you want to do it, it was more worth it than we'd initially thought. We're planning to return next year when she's 4.

I had been a few times growing up and my husband once, we already had a 3 year old son when we got married so the three of us “honeymooned” at Disney, I was also 8 weeks pregnant with our second, it was such an amazing trip, our son has an amazing memory and still talks about details from that first trip, seeing his face light up and believe in the magic is unforgettable, my husband would say oh did you see this or that on a ride and I didn’t bc just watching the smile on my sons face I couldn’t turn away

We went back again when he was almost 5 and our 2nd was 11 months old, then when they were 5.5 and 1.5 and we’ll be back in a few weeks right before their 6th and 2nd birthdays, they love Disney, my older one talks about it all the time, the little one has like 30 something words and they included Disney Mickey Minnie and Pluto lol it doesn’t have to be all meltdowns and tantrums, we go at their pace and enjoy, we don’t find it necessary to go crazy or do things that the kids can’t enjoy too, we definitely tend to “spoil” our kids but their happiness is our happiness so we don’t care that we can’t go on space mountain or eat at the nicer restaurants, plus it’s awesome that the little one is still free!

My wife and I took our daughter to WDW shortly before her first birthday, and to DLR and WDW again before her 2nd. We’re going to DLR again in a few weeks, now that she is two. (We have a problem.)

Our daughter really enjoyed every trip immensely. She was so excited to toddle right up to Pooh and give him a giant hug. Her favorite ride was the monorail. She enjoyed it, and so did we.

Our little girl remembers the parks, largely because she’s asked to see pictures and videos, especially of her character meets. She asks about going again.

I regret nothing.

YOU will have the memories!!! We took our kids on some crazy trips (not Disney) when they were little babies because the opportunities presented themselves. Do my kids remember? No. But do I have awesome memories and photos of those trips? YES!!! My first instinct would be to say no to babies (under 2 years) for a Disney trip, but that's only because it doesn't suit my touring style/strategy. But that's just my personal thought and how I would choose to spend my money. To each his own! I bet if I had taken mine as babies I would have lovely memories of those trips. Mine were all 2 and up for their first Disney trips, and even thought they may not remember, we had a blast and *I* will always have wonderful memories of those trips. Do what works for you, and let the kids/babies fit into it!

We took our just turned 10 month old twins, to DLR last month. We had a family wedding in CA, so we figured if we were flying all the way across the country, we should turn it into a longer trip. All of the stress of getting to CA (after a cancelled flight due to weather), was worth it, to see their faces and they squealed with glee when meeting Mickey (after a 40 minute weight in line). My MIL was so enamoured with their reaction, that she had now put down a deposit on a DVC membership. That said, we don't plan on going again (this time to WDW) until right before they turn 3, so we can take advantage of a full trip with them still free. My only regret is that they weren't walking, so it put a LOT of strain on our backs, since you can't take strollers in lines. The photos that we have, will always be a great reminder of how in love their were (I'm so glad they weren't scared!)

I had to laugh at you comment about others saying "isn't Disney more for adults?". We are two adults, no kids, and love WDW and we go on a fairly regular basis. People frequently say "isn't Disney for kids?".

I used to be one of those people that thought "why would you bring your infant - 3 year old to WDW, they won't remember it". Then I realized the error of my thinking. By that logic, you should never take your children on any vacation until they can remember it. That's just plain silly!!! Also, at that age, it's more about the parents and older children's memories that matter. And why should the parents and older children have to wait to experience WDW until all of the kids are old enough?

So I say "Go and be merry!!!". It's your time and money, spend it the way you want to. :thumbsup2

My grandparents first took me right before I turned 4, I think I turned 4 the day after we came home (it's already almost been 20 years since then), and we had gone in the summer. They had also taken my cousin, who was probably around 12-13 at that time so he would obviously remember it much more than I do, but I can say that I do have some memories from the trip. True, I don't really remember a lot regarding rides and stuff, but I do remember kind of some of the basics of what we did, like how it seemed like it rained almost all day when we were at AK. Also, they had taken us on a Disney Cruise, and I remember swimming in the pool with my grandfather and going to the Mickey pool with my grandmother. I also remember that the pictures lit up in the one restaurant as the night went on that I think it was kind of Beauty and the Beast themed?

But my mother shares the same sentiments as others here, that you will have the memories. We have encountered some of the same thoughts leading up to our 8-night trip this September (4-nights on the Disney Dream and 4-nights staying at AoA) when we take a child that we babysit, there will be 6 adults (my family) on this trip and the one child, who will be 2 at the time, his birthday is at the end of October. Even though we say that he might not remember much of it, we do say that we will remember the memories of doing it together with him. Plus it'll be even more memorable since this will be my first cruise since I went with my grandparents and for my other 3 siblings, this will be their first overall and our first family cruise! So this will be a memorable trip for everyone!

They will remember, because you will remember, and take photos, and talk about the experiences you had together, for years to come. Their joy will be real, and you won't ever forget that, and so you will be the one to keep those memories alive for them.

I'm all about go when you think it's best for your family. My husband & I had a blast with our oldest when she was 18 months. She now loves being able to tell her brother & sister that she has been to Disney one more time than them. All three love looking at the photos from when they went when they were super small. It was experiencing Disney in a different way than when an adult. Now that they're getting a little older, we're experiencing Disney again differently. We were thinking of not doing a character breakfast this upcoming trip and our oldest said we had to do a character breakfast. We decided to try the one at Tusker House. My son questioned why we weren't going to Coral Reef for dinner since we had gone there every time our first day. We said we wanted to try a different restaurant out. He was okay with that. We have fun discussing it our trip plans and we wouldn't have been able to do that if the kids didn't have their memories of Disney from when they were younger.

I'm all about go when you think it's best for your family. My husband & I had a blast with our oldest when she was 18 months. She now loves being able to tell her brother & sister that she has been to Disney one more time than them. All three love looking at the photos from when they went when they were super small. It was experiencing Disney in a different way than when an adult. Now that they're getting a little older, we're experiencing Disney again differently. We were thinking of not doing a character breakfast this upcoming trip and our oldest said we had to do a character breakfast. We decided to try the one at Tusker House. My son questioned why we weren't going to Coral Reef for dinner since we had gone there every time our first day. We said we wanted to try a different restaurant out. He was okay with that. We have fun discussing it our trip plans and we wouldn't have been able to do that if the kids didn't have their memories of Disney from when they were younger.
You should be warned, they may never grow out of character meals. My 17 year old made me add Garden Grill ( Chip & Dale ) and Trattoria al Forno (Rapunzel).

I took my youngest when he was two and he loved it. Does he remember it? No, but I do I still love looking at the pictures and remembering how excited he was. Next time ask the naysayers if they take their toddlers to the park. When they say yes, ask them why they would do that when the kid(s) won't remember it. It's the same thing. Not the same price, but the same idea. lol

I think the people on this board are the exception and not the rule when it comes to WDW vacations. For many people it is a one time vacation destination (or at least they think of it that way until they go. I know that is how it was with us). I think that colors their view about the right age to take a child.

I think the people on this board are the exception and not the rule when it comes to WDW vacations. For many people it is a one time vacation destination (or at least they think of it that way until they go. I know that is how it was with us). I think that colors their view about the right age to take a child.

I also think that that is what many on here thought the first time they went but then fell in love with it.

I get this comment/question ALL the time.

My response? "This is the way my husband and I are choosing to vacation with our kids. They're memories for US, and if our girls remember something, it's even better. If not, we have pictures to tell stories off of."

I usually don't get a response from that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter