“Why take them?, They won’t remember”

We didn’t bring our daughter until she was 5 because I didn’t want to deal with a stroller or diapers-we had a wonderful trip and traveled to Disney every other year until we bought into DVC in 2003 and now take a trip every year. When my grandson was born I couldn’t wait to bring him! My Dd and Dsil wanted to wait until he was 3-so we did, but I would have gladly travelled earlier! I see so much joy on the faces of the little ones and their families-if you want to go you’ll make it work and have a great trip.

I'm sure its already been said, however, whether they remember or not is kind of moot unless its a once in a lifetime thing..... if it isn't then I can tell you that 'you' will remember how they reacted, their beaming smile and wondrous amazement at a World that is just full of magic. The memories you can make together as a family will live long after the trip comes to an end. Disney is not just a place for kids, it's a place for parents to share in the joy that it brings to their children and family. Seeing your own kids hearts filled with so much joy that it could burst!... is one of the greatest feelings you can have. There will be plenty of time for the real world to give them things they will remember, enjoy the time you have with your children, it happens once and you can never get that time back. Disney is about the whole family, not just a select few who can remember ;o)

Life is all about experiences, experiences that are shared with others are only enhanced and amplified.

Peace be with you ;o)

When my kids were really young and still in diapers, I said no Disney trips until the youngest was 4 because I found the concept of a trip like that to be very overwhelming & stressful. We went on a trip to Hawaii when my kids were 17 mo and almost 3.5 and it was a hellish week full of cranky overtired children who wouldn't nap in the hotel room and wouldn't nap anywhere. Children who had a hard time falling asleep at night because the only place they slept well was in their bed or crib at home. That trip was really rough and I didn't want to even think about dealing with something like that at Disneyland or WDW.

So we didn't go to Disneyland until they were 4 and 6. We had a wonderful time. For our family, I'm glad we did it that way.

I have a question and want to assure myself I’m not crazy as to thinking this way.

Recently I was talking about how I would totally take my kids (i currently have none but when I do!) to Disney when there are young, probbly 2-3 becauseof how much fun they would have. and I was bombarded!! By people saying “why take them when they are young they won’t remember it” “Disney is not for kids it’s more for adults” “why drag a kid along just for your fun” “it’s borderline tourtue to take a kid that small in the Florida hear” and these seemed to be the only argument people had. and it made me stop and think.

Are people really only thinking about the memories? About the fact that the kid won’t remember the trip in 3 years? And becuase they won’t it Dosent justifi the cost of going on the trip all togather

In my opioion it’s complelty worth it to take a 2(almost 3) year old to Disney.they still believe it’s real,they are FREE and yes you have to do things at a slower pace.but are those experiences and memories not worth it?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! I am very curious on this topic
:-)
First of all, what you decide to do or not do is nobody's business except your own, as long as you are fulfilling your parental responsibilities.

Second of all, had I known how awesome WDW is and how much my DH and I would love it, I wouldn't have waited until DD was 7 years old. Her first time was my first time. We waited and waited until we basically felt obligated as good parents to take her to WDW. I didn't expect to fall in love. I might not have taken her as a newborn infant, but probably once she was over a year, no longer nursing, maybe even toilet trained. But after that, YES, we would have taken her younger than 7.

There will always be people who have opinions about your life. The most important opinion is yours.

In my opioion it’s complelty worth it to take a 2(almost 3) year old to Disney.they still believe it’s real,they are FREE and yes you have to do things at a slower pace.but are those experiences and memories not worth it?

I agree with you. There are plenty of reasons to take them when they're small!

My DS's first day at the Magic Kingdom was at 18 months old. He had a wonderful time (and I have the memories, even if he doesn't.) He's been several times since, and We have loved every age!

I have a question and want to assure myself I’m not crazy as to thinking this way.

Recently I was talking about how I would totally take my kids (i currently have none but when I do!) to Disney when there are young, probbly 2-3 becauseof how much fun they would have. and I was bombarded!! By people saying “why take them when they are young they won’t remember it” “Disney is not for kids it’s more for adults” “why drag a kid along just for your fun” “it’s borderline tourtue to take a kid that small in the Florida hear” and these seemed to be the only argument people had. and it made me stop and think.

Are people really only thinking about the memories? About the fact that the kid won’t remember the trip in 3 years? And becuase they won’t it Dosent justifi the cost of going on the trip all togather

I am an only child, and my parents took me to WDW when I was about 4 1/2 because we were already going to be in the area for my grandparent's anniversary.

This year my mom and I are going on a trip for my 30th birthday, and my only other trip to WDW was in high school. Our band took a trip to Florida and we spent one day at Magic Kingdom (most of our trip was spent at Universal). Because we're taking a trip this year, we've had conversations about our trip 25 years ago, and I barely remember it. I remember a handful of very specific things (and we managed to remember that we stayed at CBR), but my memory of it is pretty thin. From the perspective of the child who went to Disney World really young, I wish they'd waited until I was 7 or 8. My parents agree that they wish we'd gone when I was older so that I had those memories of the trip. I was also a very small child and couldn't go on some of the rides I most wanted to go on (I specifically remember not being able to go on Splash Mountain and being heartbroken because I LOVED log flume rides).

That being said, I didn't have older siblings who would have remembered it better, and I can see how the situation would be different for families with more kids.

I think the people on this board are the exception and not the rule when it comes to WDW vacations. For many people it is a one time vacation destination (or at least they think of it that way until they go. I know that is how it was with us). I think that colors their view about the right age to take a child.
I used to think that but lately almost everyone I know with kids (and some without) goes to WDW at least once a yr. It’s not just my friends & family but co-workers & neighbors too. I know that by no means represents “the average” person, but guess I feel like a lot more ppl are going more frequently than they used to.

I used to think that but lately almost everyone I know with kids (and some without) goes to WDW at least once a yr. It’s not just my friends & family but co-workers & neighbors too. I know that by no means represents “the average” person, but guess I feel like a lot more ppl are going more frequently than they used to.

I know more people that return than I did when I was younger, but that number is still low compared to the people I know who have been only once, or never. Among my group of friends and family I still get the "oh how nice" when I tell them that is we are going back. You know the one, where the way they say it really says they are thinking we are crazy LOL.

I know more people that return than I did when I was younger, but that number is still low compared to the people I know who have been only once, or never. Among my group of friends and family I still get the "oh how nice" when I tell them that is we are going back. You know the one, where the way they say it really says they are thinking we are crazy LOL.
I'm in the same boat. People in my circle expected us to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Bermuda or Europe. I got some funny reactions when I told them that we are celebrating in WDW.

I didn't read through the previous comments, but our first family trip was in 1995. I was school-aged, my youngest sister was 1.5. I don't remember the trip at all even at that age, but I still LOVE watching the home movies. The look of sheer awe on my sister's face during small world will always be priceless to me. Even if your children don't remember, there will be memories one way or another. I also enjoy watching the videos and seeing how my parents interacted with us when we were that young. As you can see from my signature I'm a Disneyholic and fully intend on bringing my children as often as possible for as long as they want to go!

I'm in the same boat. People in my circle expected us to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Bermuda or Europe. I got some funny reactions when I told them that we are celebrating in WDW.

LOL, I know what you mean. The last time I went wasn't a family trip it was for mine and dh's 20th anniversary.
We got the same reactions, especially when we told them we want to do it every year LOL
When I explained it was so we could experience the food and wine fest they "pretended" that was acceptable for an anniversary :upsidedow

If you can do it when you have a little one I say GO! I thought I would never take a little kid to Disney but we had to be in the Wdw area and decided to add a Wdw trip. At the time our kids were 4 years old and 10 months old. Even at that young our 10 month old had a great time and we have so many family memories. Does it take some planning to take little ones? Yes. Is it more work? Sure. But hey they are only little once. watching your kid experience new things is awesome. But maybe the best proof it's a good time... We are now planning a Disneyland trip and there are 3 little ones now...our kids will be 6, 2 , and 10 months.

I was there in March with 2 grandsons 4 & 5. We have been many times with our adult kids before “the grands”. We always raced to pirates, space mountain, rock and roller coaster etc. This trip we went on “the people mover” three times , buzz twice, and woody twice. HilRiously different, less lining up fun! We’ve even been with babies, sure they didn’t remember but we were all together, for one whole week all 10 of us! (6months to 55yrs)in a family friendly safe place, some great memories even if some don’t remember them!

We've taken our baby twice to Disneyworld already. Why? We went to Disney at least once a year before she graced us with her presence, and we plan to continue that tradition.

Do the trips look a little different? Sure! We never did character dining or character visits when it was just the two of us. We used to go rope drop and stay til close every park day, speed walking wherever we went.

Now? We sleep in...take our time getting ready in the morning, then go about our day scoring fast passes as we go along. Every few hours, we take a break and go back to the baby care center. Air conditioning, filtered water, and a place for the baby to eat a quick snack allows us to cool down if it's hot outside, and just enjoy spending time together. The kid likes to fall asleep pretty early, around 830, so by then we're back in our room for a real solid night's rest with NO ALARM CLOCKS. What other vacation destination makes it so easy for parents with kids and lots of disposable income to spend lots of money :)

Now, her favorite toy is a stuffed Minnie we bought at the Magic Kingdom gift shop.

It’s just as much about what you will remember. We took my son in July when he was 14 months old. Daughter was 8. Our pediatrician advised us to leave him home because he would be miserable and the heat was too much. We took him anyway and he had a great time. Was so engaged and excited all the time. We just took precautions to make sure he was hydrated and shaded. Always took an afternoon nap and pool breaks. Would not trade those memories for anything. He is 17 now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter