“Why take them?, They won’t remember”

My daughter is one year old, she went to Disneyland at 3 months and 8 months and WDW for her 1st birthday and we are going again at the end of April, she had so much fun at one, the earlier trips were more for us though.

Who cares if they won't remember..I'm of the belief that happy memories will have a lasting impression on them even if they don't remember.

Looking back I'd rather take mine when they were under 3 than when they were over 12. My older 2 lost interest at 12, my youngest luckily is still loving going and he is 14 now.

Of course no right answer here - take your kids when it's "worth it" to you:) My first trip to WDW was a year after it opened and I was 17. I really don't remember the trip extremely well except that it was a magical place, we had a great time and I remember getting the paper booklet for rides marked A through E...the "E" tickets being for the headliner rides. So it's not because I'm now older that I don't remember it well LOL. But my point is I don't think age of the visit guarantees "remembering". I don't have any photos from that trip and today photos are taken every second which helps kids remember when they look back. Our 13-month old granddaughter will not remember this year's trip. But her sibling and cousins (ages 4-6) are more likely to. But...this trip is also for the parents and Nana and Papa to create family memories together.

I brought my DD to Disneyland when she was 1 and we lived in Irvine at the time. When my DS was one, we brought him to DL and my DD was 4. We lived in CO then. Two years ago when my DD was 7 and DS was 4, we took them to WDW for the first time. Last summer we went to Universal Studio. And we are going back to WDw again this summer.

So my two cents on your question
: Theme parks are more fun when kids are older, at least 4 yo, especially when no stroller is needed.

We took our twins at 2.5 years, 5 years, and almost 7 years. Yes they dont remember the trip at 2.5years. But who cares? I do! I remember that trip and sometimes that's all that matters. I have that memory of Donald Duck holding both their hands and walking them up the stairs at Camp Minnie and Mickey. The memory of driving under the sign and my daughter saying in the cutest toddler voice "Meekie!" The memory of letting have at it with their first mickey bar and after 5 minutes checking on them in the stroller as chocolate drips down their chin all over the shirt, but those smiles were priceless. Not to mention all the things they learn from going on a trip like that. At 2.5 they are building physical endurance, learning social skills from interactions with CMs to other park children, manners at dining tables, patience, and flexibility. Not to mention at that age they were free, so why not. I dont think I would go with an infant but once walking solidly it makes sense.

I have a question and want to assure myself I’m not crazy as to thinking this way.

Recently I was talking about how I would totally take my kids (i currently have none but when I do!) to Disney when there are young, probbly 2-3 becauseof how much fun they would have. and I was bombarded!! By people saying “why take them when they are young they won’t remember it” “Disney is not for kids it’s more for adults” “why drag a kid along just for your fun” “it’s borderline tourtue to take a kid that small in the Florida hear” and these seemed to be the only argument people had. and it made me stop and think.

Are people really only thinking about the memories? About the fact that the kid won’t remember the trip in 3 years? And becuase they won’t it Dosent justifi the cost of going on the trip all togather

In my opioion it’s complelty worth it to take a 2(almost 3) year old to Disney.they still believe it’s real,they are FREE and yes you have to do things at a slower pace.but are those experiences and memories not worth it?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! I am very curious on this topic
:-)
I have 5 kids and have taken each of them before they were 2, at 2 and then again as the years progress. As the years progress they have fun, but the magic is younger when they believe in everything. My kids no longer believe tinker bell is flying over the castle but that it's a rope. So yes it is worth it especially before they are 3 and it's free. I try to book another trip right before their 3rd birthday

Last edited:
“Don’t take them, they won’t remember”
Yes, but years later they keep getting reminded of the time the older brothers got to go to Disney and how she (the little sister (2 1/2 years old or maybe 3) )was left with an aunt and uncle.
“I can’t believe you took them to Disney and not me.”

That is my husband, his older brother, and younger sister.

I’ve had my 2 year olds along - they won’t remember but look cute in the pictures.
I wouldn’t take anyone less than 18 months.

How is it anyone's business where you travel, and how old your children "should" be when you do?

I vacationed with my kids since my youngest was 3 months old (Kauai and Waikiki many times (we lived on Oahu), the Big Island at 4 months, Maui at 8 months, Missouri at 6 months). No, he recalls none of this, but I wasn't going to stop living my life just because I had a child!

Can you afford it? Go then! Some folks (yes I know the type) have envy, as they may need to save for 3 years for a trip to Disney, or anywhere, and they express this in some ways.

My youngest remembers his first trip at 2 to Disney. My oldest we took at 3 (left the youngest with my folks for 3 nights in Naples where they lived, as he napped like 4 hours a day and slept another 12; turns out he has health issues but anyway he was happy with them and we wanted to take just one that trip), and the oldest still has no recollection of the first few trips! So some kids will remember, some will not. That has NO bearing on if a family should take a vacation!

My DDs are now 6, 9, 11.

Their first trip to Disney World was two years ago when my girls were 4, 7 and 9.

That being said, back in the day when DH was active duty, we were stationed in San Diego 8 years ago. Because we were SoCal residents, I took advantage of getting a SoCal resident Disneyland pass for myself and my then 3 year old daughter. DD #2 was just 18 months old when we bought the passes so she was free. With a DH who was gone traveling a lot during the week, one of my favorite memories was taking monthly road trips up to Anaheim to go to Disneyland with my two toddlers. I’d pack a picnic lunch in my diaper bag, and use a trusty umbrella stroller which I made our girls share. Our usual ritual was to drive up after morning rush hour, and drive up the HOV lane up the 5 and get to Disneyland by late morning. Our first stop was always the Baby Care Center at the end of Main Street for a potty break and diaper change. And then we’d eat our picnic lunch at the tables near the Refrehsment Corner. Afterwards, we’d ride Fantasyland rides, the Winnie the Pooh ride, Buzz Lightyear, for a couple of hours, and even if we didn’t ride everything we wanted to, we knew we’d be back again soon. I have fond memories of all three of us squeezing in Dumbo or Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride car. We’d leave Disneyland by late afternoon beating the traffic. Once we hit the on ramp of the 5, the toddlers napped until we got home. We’d be back in San Diego by dinner time.

I look back at my pictures and see pictures of our monthly trips where my girls enjoyed the rides, meeting princesses and characters, get togethers meeting with friends of mine who were also at Disneyland. It was such a simpler time not having to worry about missing school. We kept going back 1-2 times a month even until the beginning of my 3rd trimester! I was the crazy pregnant lady who wanted to squeeze in one more trip before our passes were blocked out for the summer. My last visit before I gave birth to our 3rd daughter was when I was 34 weeks along! We did not return back to Disneyland until after I gave birth when our 3rd daughter was 3 weeks old. It was the last visit to Disneyland as a family of 5 as my DH was set to deploy overseas, and our family separated to move back to Texas to be closer to family. It was a sad day for us when our passes expired as there was no point to renew since we did not live in SoCal anymore.

My oldest daughter still remembers those trips to Disneyland, though my middle daughter does not remember since she was barely 2. I was fortunate enough to bring my older two girls back for a trip to Disneyland 3 years ago and this time we were excited we were all tall enough to ride coasters and racing cars. I absolutely do not regret having those Disneyland passes and those memories with my girls. You can’t put a price tag on memories, and I am so grateful I had those special moments with my daughters when they were so little.

We are looking forward to our family going back to Disney World next month. It certainly is magical even though they are older, but there is a different type of magic seeing it in your child’s eyes and face when they are little.

I definitely get the argument. BUT only if you’re only planning on going to Disney once. If I only planned on bringing my daughter once ever I would wait until she could remember it. However, I plan on going like every other year with her so...

I took my daughter right after she turned two. She’s three now and still remembers going. She may not remember every aspect of the trip or specifics but she remembers going and will occasionally ask to go back (don’t worry we are going in October). It was a semi solo trip just her and I. We did have to take things slow. We didn’t get to “see everything” but honestly has anyone ever gotten to see everything in a single trip? She loved goofy and Anna and thought they were the real deal. She got a kick out of the mickey shaped waffles and wanted to ride the magic carpets like 14 times. She told every stranger about her light up balloon and didn’t throw a fit when I suggest she give it to a little girl getting on the magical express when we were leaving at MCO. She thought it was all real and amazing. And SHE might not have those memories but I do.

We took our kids last year, the week before they turned 1 and 3. I got a lot of the same comments and just shrugged them off.

As you mentioned, both kids were free! One was free on the flight too. And it was so magical to be able to celebrate their birthdays at Disney World.

Yes, my husband and I love Disney and this trip was for us too. We were lucky enough to have 3 grandparents joining us, which helped us to enjoy our trip too, but also made it a special time for the girls to spend with their grandparents.

Will they remember it? Probably not long term. But my 3 year old still talks about the trip and reminds me of things she did (almost 6 months later). She also loves to look at our trip pictures, which probably helps her to keep the memories right now. As you said, for us, their memories weren’t the only reason for our trip. They had a wonderful time while we were there, and that is what was important to us.

The one year old seemed to love taking in the sights, sounds, etc. I was surprised by how many rides we could go on with her, and she would point, clap and dance through many shows and rides.

If we were only going to take one trip ever to Disney, we probably would have waited. But we love to vacation there, and know we will take a few family trips as they grow up.

Also, you mentioned taking things at a slower pace... we really didn’t! I’m writing our trip report now, but I usually overplan and did so on this trip too. We fit a lot in a short time period, and our girls slept great in the stroller when they were tired. I know we were lucky and not all kids will sleep in strollers, but it worked out well for us.

Overall though, it comes down to what each person values and enjoys. I’m sure taking young kids is not for everyone, and if we hadn’t had the grandparents with us, I know the trip would have been more stressful for us too.

We took our boys last year for the first time at 3 & 6 yrs. They loved it!!!! Even the 3, now 4yr old, talked about disney for like 6-8 months after! He still remembers the things we did. They're now 4 & 7 and we're going back in a month. I'm a little more excited then they are right now. My 4yr old doesn't want to get on the plane and keeps crying about that.... not sure why. Once we get off the plane I'm sure he'll be excited. I used to think it wasn't worth it but after our first trip we were convinced otherwise. We haven't even gone on our 2nd trip and are already talking about the 3rd trip for 2019 w/ my in laws. :maleficen

It’s funny that we were just having this conversation today but about other destinations. I was saying I would take a break from other vacations until DS is old enough to remember. We go to WDW at least once a yr so I said we’ll continue to go there until he’s old enough to go to other destinations & remember & enjoy them. For instance, we want to go to Yosemite but now we’ll wait until DS is older. So for now we’ll do the beach and/or WDW.

Its interesting to hear different peoples perspectives on this. We travel fairly often with our kids (our 6 month old has flown 4 or 5 times, we roadtrip places often too) and I wouldn’t want to do a trip without our youngest, even if he’s not the “right” age for something. It wouldn’t feel like a family vacation without him.

Our daughter is currently almost 4 and mentions stuff that happened on our trip last April to Disneyland when she was almost 3. She’ll say “remember that part of ... ride when ....” or “remember when I saw goofy outside and ....”. I haven’t printed out pictures from the trip so I think she does have (some) scattered memories of it and she definitely remembers the rides she liked etc.

My husband travels for work sometimes and I’ll come along or meet up with him for a few days with our 3 little ones. Just because a vacation isn’t geared toward “toddler” or “baby” doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.

That said, If I knew it was an “only” trip, I might put way more thought into it. As is, our next disney trip that we’re planning will involve a 4 year old, 2 year old (though both will be approaching birthdays) and an 18 month old. I know it won’t be the perfect time for the little guy but I still want him there and it will be an amazing age for the other 2, I think. The middle one is in such a “mickey” stage that I don’t want to miss out on that either.

I have a question and want to assure myself I’m not crazy as to thinking this

In my opioion it’s complelty worth it to take a 2(almost 3) year old to Disney.they still believe it’s real,they are FREE and yes you have to do things at a slower pace.but are those experiences and memories not worth it?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! I am very curious on this topic
:-)
We took DS & DD for their first time at that age & they loved it and have memories from it! (One memory of Goofy coming up to them in their stroller while my mom waited with them while we rode BTMRR& meeting Tigger & Pooh in Frontierland.)
We still look at those pictures & those memories are priceless!

We took our kids at 6 and 11 and my six year old who is now 18 remembers. DH said he was not going to Disney before they could remember.

I have not read all the replies... so sorry if I repeat.

The first time we went we had a 4 year old and 1.5 year old. I don't know if I would go with just a 3ish year old... probably...
(we have also gone when they were 7, 4, 2, and When they were 9, 6, and 4)

My kids ABSOLUTELY LOVE looking back at our photo album(s) of Disney. Do they remember when they were 2? Probably not, but when they see the pictures, they tell us about what is happening, and how much fun it was, even when they were "too little to remember"

Disney for little kids is NOT for remembering always, it is for the experience, they have SO MUCH FUN, because everything is absolutely REAL AND MAGICAL. Once they are 6ish they start to know that it isn't all real. It is still a great time, but it isn't as magical. It is fun in a different way.

I say if the cost isn't a burden for you go for it, you won't regret it (except you will probably be hooked and want to keep going!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter