“Starting with Magic” Offer

Being a moderator plays no role in my opinions and I would feel the same way if this was being offered by DVC Store, Fidelity or any of the other brokers I have used.

Again, I am simply someone who doesn’t worry or criticize about what businesses choose to offer as specials. It could very well make sense for someone to take advance of this deal and not stress about the extra.

I have indeed rented points for a lower amount and I know pretty much a lot about rental market. Ease was more important.

This may or may not be popular and the great thing is a buyer gets to decide.
Can you please use the links when discussing other Brokers. Rules are rules. 😀

Man, $2000 is a lot to pay for convenience. You’ll still need either to make the reservation for them or transfer the points.
A lot of people book cruises with points for the convenience of not having to rent them out. And often the difference is even more than $2000. Normally DVC values points at $8 or $9 for those exchanges, less than this offer.
Not saying it's a good offer, I would never accept it. But for some people not having to deal with extra burden is worth the money.

A lot of people book cruises with points for the convenience of not having to rent them out. And often the difference is even more than $2000. Normally DVC values points at $8 or $9 for those exchanges, less than this offer.
Not saying it's a good offer, I would never accept it. But for some people not having to deal with extra burden is worth the money.
Except that this isn't a simple transfer of points, you're still renting your points out (within 60 days of closing/points loading into your account). Sure, they're doing the legwork of finding the renter, but it's the exact same service they normally provide through the rental store that pays up to $19/point. Even 0-7 month rentals pay out $14 or $16.50/point (forgetting the exact amount). I think that's what most people here are questioning.

Each listing/scenario is different and if there were expiring points then maybe it might make sense (I would still rather try and rent them out the normal method that pays more money). But I see listings with a Dec UY that have 2023 points so those could still be rented out at a premium for the 7-11 month booking window, so one would have to be foolish to take them up on this offer. Maybe I'm still being shortsighted, but to me the intersection of folks who would do this out of convenience and who purchase resale for the savings is very small (almost non-existent).

Edit: The more I think about it, the more the convenience argument just doesn't make sense. As a reminder, the promo states that this a rental of points within 60 days of closing. A normal 0-7 month rental pays out $16.50/point with 75% upfront payment, so you're getting the same amount as this promotion just for an initial 75% payment similar to a normal rental. They're basically just not paying out the remainder, that must be the magic *poof!* 25% of your rental income disappears just like that!

Last edited:

The problem here is that this is a poorly considered promotion. There are a range of people with various economic situations who purchase DVC. Convenience preference typically means these people are financially comfortable. But this promotion is at cross purposes. It is advertising this service to individuals who are (apparently, largely) concerned about price. The lure here is to lower the price. Typically, these are people who are financially stretching themselves to make the purchase. These same people (largely) are not going to put convenience over value--otherwise why (in most cases) sell the points back at all--especially as that proposition can cause a loss of value of a thousand or two thousand, etc., dollars? How this is being pitched doesn't match this customer group's needs at all--in less the goal is to anger them once they realize that they signed away a significant value of those points.

The problem here is that this is a poorly considered promotion. There are a range of people with various economic situations who purchase DVC. Convenience preference typically means these people are financially comfortable. But this promotion is at cross purposes. It is advertising this service to individuals who are (apparently, largely) concerned about price. The lure here is to lower the price. Typically, these are people who are financially stretching themselves to make the purchase. These same people (largely) are not going to put convenience over value--otherwise why (in most cases) sell the points back at all--especially as that proposition can cause a loss of value of a thousand or two thousand, etc., dollars? How this is being pitched doesn't match this customer group's needs at all--in less the goal is to anger them once they realize that they signed away a significant value of those points.

I still believe that it is on a buyer to understand the program and they don’t have to accept it. Resale buyers definitely buy to save money but I am not sure that all can’t afford to pay more if they wanted to.

It may very well be a dud and not many take advantage of it. I admit I haven’t looked into it enough but as already mentioned, there are plenty of owners who make different decisions with what to do with their points which may or may not be the “best price “ value.

I would think there must be something more to the process that makes doing this vs a straight up rental different.

Maybe these owners will be given priority to make the reservation over those who doing it the normal way? Meaning, these points get used up first vs any other owner who is renting?

I still believe that it is on a buyer to understand the program and they don’t have to accept it. Resale buyers definitely buy to save money but I am not sure that all can’t afford to pay more if they wanted to.

It may very well be a dud and not many take advantage of it. I admit I haven’t looked into it enough but as already mentioned, there are plenty of owners who make different decisions with what to do with their points which may or may not be the “best price “ value.

I would think there must be something more to the process that makes doing this vs a straight up rental different.

Maybe these owners will be given priority to make the reservation over those who doing it the normal way? Meaning, these points get used up first vs any other owner who is renting?
And hopefully threads/conversations like this also enlighten uninformed buyers. I understand that members will regularly do things that aren't the best value like cruises or other exchanges but this is literally (according to their words) the same service they do for normal rentals for considerably less, so I think it's something that should be called out. At the very least, they can further clarify how this promotion is beneficial or perhaps alter it to make it more appealing. Otherwise, it feels like a cheap money grab that harms the reputation of the broker.

Also, I would hope that there is more to the process beyond being "an easy rental through the Rental Store". Something like what you suggest would be beneficial to know for both those interested in taking advantage of this offer and those just renting out points through DVC rental store.

And hopefully threads/conversations like this also enlighten uninformed buyers. I understand that members will regularly do things that aren't the best value like cruises or other exchanges but this is literally (according to their words) the same service they do for normal rentals for considerably less, so I think it's something that should be called out. At the very least, they can further clarify how this promotion is beneficial or perhaps alter it to make it more appealing. Otherwise, it feels like a cheap money grab that harms the reputation of the broker.

Also, I would hope that there is more to the process beyond being "an easy rental through the Rental Store". Something like what you suggest would be beneficial to know for both those interested in taking advantage of this offer and those just renting out points through DVC rental store.

I was just reading the limited info and it says that things need to be done within 60 days from closing and transfer.

That seems to indicate, at least to me, that you would be able to sell back the points if you are able to book a last minute reservation and thus could explain the price difference.

Wild. I get not knowing it’s a bad deal, we’ve all made bad decisions due to lack of knowledge, but choosing it knowingly, wild.

Wild. I get not knowing it’s a bad deal, we’ve all made bad decisions due to lack of knowledge, but choosing it knowingly, wild.
To be clear though, if you know it all, and it still makes you happy, cool. It’s your money.

I also think it’s wild that people spend thousands of dollars to get dropped out of airplanes but people seem to like it so they should do that. I will not be participating.

I was just reading the limited info and it says that things need to be done within 60 days from closing and transfer.

That seems to indicate, at least to me, that you would be able to sell back the points if you are able to book a last minute reservation and thus could explain the price difference.
This won’t apply to all resorts, but for Grand Cal, Boardwalk, and other “highest demand” resorts they have active reservation requests from potential renters where someone with those home resort points could walk in and fill that would get the owner $19pp….

I completely get if the points are within 7-months and only available as SAPs… but paying $12pp for 8-11 month priority points with active requests posted on the site for $19pp?

I also love the third option of one-day single park only WDW tickets for 16 points for a Grand Cal contract buyer 🤣. I know it’s WDW only because it was clarified on the World of DVC podcast. You’d think they would at least make them Disneyland tickets.

But a one-day one-park WDW ticket direct from Disney is $109 to $159 a day at peak times. So that means they are giving $7-$10pp for park tickets?!? 🤣🤣🤣 And they don’t even pay retail to acquire them from Disney!! 🤣

This won’t apply to all resorts, but for Grand Cal, Boardwalk, and other “highest demand” resorts they have active reservation requests from potential renters where someone with those home resort points could walk in and fill that would get the owner $19pp….

I completely get if the points are within 7-months and only available as SAPs… but paying $12pp for 8-11 month priority points with active requests posted on the site for $19pp?

I also love the third option of one-day single park only WDW tickets for 16 points for a Grand Cal contract buyer 🤣. I know it’s WDW only because it was clarified on the World of DVC podcast. You’d think they would at least make them Disneyland tickets.

But a one-day one-park WDW ticket direct from Disney is $109 to $159 a day at peak times. So that means they are giving $7-$10pp for park tickets?!? 🤣🤣🤣 And they don’t even pay retail to acquire them from Disney!! 🤣
Yeah I did the park ticket math and audibly gasped.

Shouldn’t this promotion be called “Starting Without Magic” since you don’t get the 2023 points? Maybe I am missing something.
If that's the case DVC needs to rename theirs from Magical Beginnings to dull beginnings. Maybe boring beginnings 🤔

I came to see the stripping of the first years points as quite a clever marketing ploy. "I bought VGF at $167 per point!" No you didn't, you bought VGF at approximately $185 per point and immediately rented out a bunch of your points. And you still had to pay the MFs on those points.

If they use this program is it taxed? Because if it is that's just straight robbery at that point with MFs being 8 dollars per point for VGC. I know for MB it's not taxed but I don't think one counts as a rebate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter