zoloft

vfb2girls

DIS Veteran
For anyone that is currently on this medication has anyone noticed that it has become very hard to loose weight? I am not sure if this is the reason why I have struggled so hard to even lose a few pounds and was wondering if anyone else on zoloft was having this trouble. I tried atkins for the two long miserable weeks and ended up gaining a pound so I am back to doing WW, but have refused to weigh myself. I know this sets me up for depression so I am only going by how my favorite jeans fit and sadly they ain't fitting to well! Needless to say I am very frustrated, so I guess I am looking for a reason my weight just doesn't want to dissapear!

I do not take this med; however, I will tell you that most of the drugs in the class of Zoloft (the SSRIs) cause weight gain in people. I have several friends who take the various SSRIs and many of them have put on from 12-20 lbs. My one friend just got off of it because she just could not longer deal with the extra pounds.

You may want to ask your Dr. about Welbutrin. It is an anti-depressive - I am not sure what class - but it does not contribute to weight gain.

Good Luck! :)

I'm on Zoloft, too - 50 mg. I have noticed that I am not losing at the rate I want. I'll lose just a few lbs maybe but gain them the next week, even though I stayed OP 100%. So I haven't taken them for the past couple of days and I'm going to see what happens. I know I should probably talk to my Dr. before I do, but I honestly don't think they were really helping me personally (my issues lie with trying to live with another person - aka my DH - something I've never done before so it's been an adjustment, but that's a whole other thread! LOL)

So I'm going to go off of it. I re-start induction tomorrow and change my weigh-in days to Sunday instead of Weds like I was.

I'll let you know how I do with being off of it. :)

Christiana

Thank you to every one that responded to my question, I still am so undecided how to handle this situation. My children think that I should remain on the Zoloft since life here in our household will be very hectic, oldest daughter is moving back home with our 2 year old grandson, and our unborn grandchild. Her husband was deployed to Iraq for 18 months so we wanted her back home with us. I find when taking Zoloft I can cope so much better with anything, nothing bothers me except this weight gain. But I will talk to my doctor and see what he says.

I was put on Zoloft after the loss of a baby almost 3 years ago. I did gain a slight amount of weight, but nothing significant. I had to stop taking it, along with all other meds this spring, when I was diagnosed with Mono and had swelling of my liver and spleen. Those few pounds have not come off. Since my spleen is still very enlarged I haven't been able to start taking any of my prescriptions yet. I found a few pounds was a happy exchange for not feeling out of control. I look forward to being able to discuss with my doctor if another antidepressant may work better (DH had great success with Lexapro - no side effects at all) but I will not sacrifice my sanity over a few pounds. I would rather deal with my medical issues and then get with a more aggressive weight loss plan (both food and increased activity) than feel like I want to lock myself in a closet and hide from my wonderful DH and my beautiful DDs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter