• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zebra Domes

Yum, thanks ibouncetoo! You don't happen to have any experience making these, do you? I don't want to get in over my head... Thanks!

I've made zebra domes a couple of times. I made a simple syrup from coffee and sugar to substitute for the Kahlua. They were still delicious.

The problem with the recipe that's out there is that it calls for white and dark chocolate ganaches. It doesn't tell you how to make them. I had varying success with guessing at it. The first time I made zebra domes, they turned out great. The second time...well, they tasted wonderful. But, the next morning, all the ganache had run off the the mousse and on to the plate in a huge puddle. We just scooped it up on top and ate them anyway. ;)

A server at Boma (can't remember her name, but she's been there everytime I've dined there) told me that they no longer use Kahlua in them. They use Amarula. It comes from Africa, so it makes it fit the theme of Boma better. They do seem fruitier and less coffee flavored to me. Also, the color of the mousse looks a little different.

A server at Boma (can't remember her name, but she's been there everytime I've dined there) told me that they no longer use Kahlua in them. They use Amarula. It comes from Africa, so it makes it fit the theme of Boma better. They do seem fruitier and less coffee flavored to me. Also, the color of the mousse looks a little different.

What is Amarula?

Answered my own question in case anyone else is interested!!

From Wikipedia:
Amarula is originally a Zimbabwean cream liqueur which was manufactured in South Africa, It is made with sugar, cream and the fruit of the African Marula tree (Sclerocarya birrea) which is also locally called the Elephant tree or the Marriage Tree.

Amarula was first marketed as a liqueur in September 1989, the Amarula spirit having been launched in 1983. It has the taste of slightly fruity caramel. Amarula has received consistently good reviews, with the caveat that, like many cream liqueurs, it is too sweet for some palates. It has become the second largest seller in the cream liqueur category after Bailey's Irish Cream, with particular success in Brazil. It is very popular and common throughout Africa, especially the south and east coast. Recently, Amarula has attempted to break into the American market.

Because of the marula tree's association with elephants, the distiller has made them its symbol and supports elephant conservation efforts, co-funding the Amarula Elephant Research Programme at the University of Natal, Durban. For marketing efforts it produces elephant-themed collectible items. Elephants enjoy eating the fruit of the marula tree. A common tale is that the elephants enjoy eating the fermented fruits and become "drunk" from them. Studies, however, suggest this is not true

I like to refer to these as 'A bite of Heaven'... YUM!!! I'm going to be 7 mos. PG this trip, and even though we're not staying at AKL this year, I told DH we would need to go to Boma for dinner one night so I could get some. I told him he needs to have his pockets emptied out and ready for stuffing so I can have some when I get back to the room, too! These are so fabulous- you have no idea! Anyone have the recipe for making at home? THAT would make my day!! Enjoy!!

I think they make some without alcohol now -- I believe I read that. But if you're avoid booze during your pregnancy, you might want to avoid the original version - which is so popular. One of the reasons a lot of people really like the zebra domes is that there is quite a bit of alcohol in them. The recipes I have seen have about 1/4-1/2 ounce of Kahlua for each zebra dome, so 3-4 of them would be like having a full strength cocktail. If you check the recipes, you'll find the liquor goes in the part that is not cooked at all, so there's no "cooking" off the booze...just an FYI. EDITTED TO ADD - same difference on the new liqueur -- it'll still be a lot of alcohol for anyone trying to avoid booze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter