Yummy, but better for you, food tips

SRUAlmn

DIS Veteran
So what types of foods have people found that are better for you but still taste yummy?? Here are some of mine...

1. Weight Watchers bread, bagels, hamburger buns, english muffins, etc.... (they are actually really good- just wish they had whole wheat bagels)

2. Gardenburgers (I am a carnivore by nature ;) and I really like these)

3. Broccoli with a slight amount of parmesean cheese sprinkled on it, much better for you than velveeta, etc... but the same idea & a similar flavor

4. Carb Smart honey mustard and BBQ sauce. Hardly any points and GREAT on grilled chicken!

5. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray butter. A LIFESAVER for those of us who like the 'taste' of butter on toast and bagels.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now. I have also really begun to crave fruit which I never used to do :) What other foods have people found that are better for you and yummy? I need to add some more variety.

1. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray--I definitely agree with
this one; it's great! I use it on everything I used to put
butter on. Its especially great on air-popped popcorn (tastes
great and will make seasonings stick).

2. Whole grain pasta--I think our brand is Hodgson's Mill or
something like that. I'm trying to stick to whole grains
and switching from refined to whole grain pasta has been
no sacrifice at all. It's wonderful!

3. Weight Watchers frozen meals--most of these are delicious
and are often on sale for a great price at our grocery store.
Having these available in my freezer has warded off many
a trip through the fast-food drive-thru!

4. McDonald's salads--if we're on the road or something and
there is no choice but to stop at McDonald's, these salads
are a good option (as long as you use the dressing sparingly
and/or use the low-fat dressing, and get the grilled chicken).
They are usually very tasty and filling and if you really
need dessert you can order the apple dippers with caramel for
just 100 extra calories! :)

I just bought some whole grain pasta yesterday (I think the same brand that you mentioned) and I can't wait to try it. I am also trying to stick to whole grains and it's the reason why I wish Weight Watchers would have some whole grain bagels or hamburger buns. They do have whole wheat bread and it's REALLY good and only 1 point and 90 calories for 2 slices. I'm actually eating it right now. A sandwich with that bread and 6 slices of healthy choice ham and the entire sandwich is only 2 points! (I added a little light honey mustard for an extra flavor point ;) )

OOH! I just thought of another one too. Mrs. Dash Seasonings. They are GREAT to spice up the taste of plain grilled chicken and there is no salt, no calories, no fat, etc... Everything on the label says 0, and they have some really good flavors. Classic Italian, Roasted Chicken, Some type of tomatoey tasting one. Breaks up the hum-drum a little bit :)

Great thread!

1. Mustard!!! I use LOTS of mustard, and rarely any mayo these days.

2. Nutrigrain Whole Wheat Fat Free frozen waffles instead of bagels in the AM.

3. No Sugar Added fudgesicles instead of ice cream. Each bar is 1 point!

4. Low fat whole wheat tortillas (1 point each) to make a wrap instead of a sandwich.

5. Whipped Cream. The kind in the aerosol can is 15 calories for 2 tablespoons... a little dab on top of some banana cream pie flavored yogurt or fat free chocolate pudding, and I feel like I'm having a really decadent dessert!

I thought of 2 more that my mom told me about:

Skinny Cows- Ice cream sandwiches- haven't checked the points yet, but fat free and YUMMY

Slim-A-Bears- Healthier choice for Klondike Bars- have to check the points for those still too

Probably not things you should eat all the time, but on those days when you need a little chocolate these can really do the trick ;)

PS- I liked the whipped cream on the yogurt idea! :) And I also love fat free Choc Pudding!

My mom also eats the whole grain waffles and she puts a little fat free cool whip and strawberries on them instead of syrup. YUMMY!

I also use Mrs. Dash or Spike seasoning. When I get a craving for sweets sugar free jello works for me...

1. BOCA and Morningstar Farms make delicious soy sausages and burgers with much less fat and calories.

2. Sugar-free Jello Gelatin & Pudding (prefer the kind you cook). Lifesavers when craving something sweet.

3. I like most of the Ken's lite salad dressings.

I also just found at the grocery store that Gardenburger brand makes soy meatballs which I think I may have tonight with my light pasta sauce and my whole wheat pasta. This is fun :)

turkey pepporoni -- 17 slices for 2 pts!! yum as a snack or on salad -- or make a WW friendly pizza muffin (wheat english muffin, turkey pepp. low fat mozz cheese)

Trader Joe's unsalted tortilla chips --15 of those for 2 pts!

Kraft Three Cheese Light done right Ranch Dressing !!!!! yummy!!!

fruit and FF cool whip :) :) :)

I second the turkey peperoni!

sugar free jello cups with a spoonful of coolwhip light

Homemade all white meat turkey burgers

On the road- A small Wendys chilli (200 calories!)

Blue bunny ice cream bars made with Splenda!

Splenda!

OH I forgot one more. Caponata an italian appetiser made from tomatoes, eggplant and olives. Good with toasted pita or I have also put it on fish before baking it.
Yum

I didn't know it was not nation wide. You should email them!
They have a variety of low calorie ice cream treats now.

Actually I did email them last year. Don't remember the reply, but I don't think we'll get it here anytime soon.

I also just found at the grocery store that Gardenburger brand makes soy meatballs which I think I may have tonight with my light pasta sauce and my whole wheat pasta. This is fun

ICK! The Gardenburger brand meatballs were ICKY. I guess I didn't realize that the burger that I DID like was not soy, the meatballs were. Never had soy products before. I literally spit out the one bite that I took. Oh well, live and learn. If you like soy products you may like them ;)

barbeml: I don't think we have Blue Bunny in Maryland either :(

Healthy Choice fudgebars are huge and only 2pts.

Turkey pepperoni and caponata sound great!

I mix my ff jello pudding cup with some extra coolwhip lite (6TBS)and make it like a mousse for only 2pts.

And 2% cheese slices 1slice=1pt. I melt one or two slices on baked tortilla chips and add salsa for a low fat treat.

Great thread!

Originally posted by SRUAlmn
ICK! The Gardenburger brand meatballs were ICKY... If you like soy products you may like them ;)

ROFL!!! But you make them sound so TEMPTING! :teeth: :sunny:

ROFL!!! But you make them sound so TEMPTING!

I tried to convince myself :) It did not work! UGH! Never again ;) I found another cool item though (and I already tried it, so I know it's good!)

Walden Farms Calorie Free Honey Dijon Dressing- 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 fiber, 0 carbs. They have lots of different flavors. It was in our grocery store in the produce aisle. I actually put a little on a ham sandwich and it was good! NO POINTS :)

Yum- that sounds like a great sandwich dressing!

mmmm... a low fat tortilla wrap, with thinly sliced ham and crunchy shredded lettuce and some fresh tomatoes, dressed with a little 0 points honey dijon.... mmmmm!

(I haven't had dinner yet, and I'm REALLY enjoying the image of that imaginary wrap! :sunny: ):crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter