Your thoughts on the Tropicana

GatorChris

Not of This World
I'm hunting around for hotels for our November trip. I currently have HoJo booked because the price is really good. But it's just for a regular double queen room. Their supreme "park view" rooms will be under construction at the time. Honestly, that's why we've always stayed there. There's nothing like a view of the Matterhorn every morning. So I'm sorta open to change.

I was looking at the Tropicana, which has similar pricing (when you add in their expensive parking fees). Just like HoJo, they don't offer breakfast. But they are a closer walk. My big concern is space. With 5 in my family, I need a place to throw the twin air mattress. And from the pics, virtual tour, and floor plan, those deluxe queen rooms (all they have available) look tiny. Anybody have thoughts or experience with these rooms?

And I'd love to hear from others who may have stayed at HoJo's dlx queen rooms that are in building 2. I'm assuming they're as big as the supreme park view rooms and can fit an extra bed on the floor.

Thanks!

The Tropicana is one of our go to hotels. With that being said I will be avoiding it this year because of the construction noise next door with the Carrousel Inn being torn down and the new parking garage and sky bridge being built.

I have stayed at both the HOJO and Tropicana.

HOJO was definitely cleaner, and more comfortable. Tropicana was closer, and less expensive. The Tropicana wasn't dirty, it was just well used. It's been a few years since I was at HOJO, but I feel like their rooms there had a lot more space than Tropicana's did. We stayed at both places with 3 adults & 1 child, and it felt tight at Tropicana.

All of those things considered, I would probably book Tropicana again. I love the walking distance, and the mini mart was nice to have so close.

I stay at Hojo all the time. The building 2 double queen rooms are definitely large enough for you to have the air mattress on the floor. Your bottleneck will probably be the bathroom which has two sinks but both inside the main bathroom. I agree with gsrieff's description of Tropicana as "well used." My in-laws would say nicer things about Tropicana than I would. They have stayed a number of times over the years, at least once sharing the room with two of their other grandchildren, and they always thought it was fine. The one time my husband and I stayed there with our two sons was quite a number of years ago. I still remember thinking the room felt small (and my boys were little at the time, maybe 5 and 7 years old), very dark, and just kind of worn. We never returned. I would pick Hojo although I too am disappointed about the building 1 renovation since I have become spoiled by the bunkbed suite with two bathrooms. Now that my boys are teenagers, I just love having all that extra space and a little distance from them during our downtime.

We stayed at Tropicana two years ago (family of 5) and there is no room for an air mattress. It's super tight. The hotel was basic but clean. We booked Del Sol this time because it is also very close but has two queen beds and a bunk bed in the room.

We've stayed at the Tropicana several times. One of those times, our room was bigger than the others. The closet space past the bathroom was big enough for an air mattress (we put a play and pack in there actually). But we haven't gotten one like that since. We use a camping mattress at the foot of the bed instead.

we fit 5 in a Tropicana room (one on an air mattress). it was pretty tight, though. I think we had to move the air mattress to be able to open the door all the way. Grand Legacy rooms are usually a bit bigger and cheaper than the Tropicana so we havent been back.

We've stayed at Tropicana twice - once for two nights, once for 4 - and have no complaints from either time. It's an easy walk and it was quiet and comfortable.

Tropicana is refurbishing their rooms. Michael Bowling on the DIS Unplugged podcast has said on the podcasts that he and his wife have stayed there a few times and really like it.

I stayed there 5 times last year. I think it's fantastic. Always feel safe, it's quiet and so close. There should be room, as someone said, for an air mattress in closet and under the sink (head in closet, feet under counter). You may also be able move the table to where the chairs and table are and stack that furniture? Or actually just push the chairs back and there'd be room in entry way, likely? but right beside air conditioner...loud and cold. :p

Hubby and I stayed there August 2016 for 5 nights. Our room was a king room so I'm not sure how the size compares but we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were definitely on the smaller side though.

Have you considered the BWPPI 2 Queen mini suite with the sofa bed? It would easily sleep 5 and it has free breakfast, & also very close.

Have you considered the BWPPI 2 Queen mini suite with the sofa bed? It would easily sleep 5 and it has free breakfast, & also very close.

We actually just stayed there a few weeks ago. The rooms were alright, the pillows were the worst, and the breakfast was really good. And since it has the hide-away couch, I did try them. But they have no availability for the 7 nights we needed. Unfortunately we're going during one of those stinking Disney races, so a lot of the places are booked (Park Place, Fairfield) and thus driving up prices everywhere else.

As suspected, it sounds like the Trop has really small rooms. And I really dont' want my 9yo son laying underneath the sink to sleep. First, it just sounds gross. Second, my wife gets up early to start on the hair and make-up in the bathroom so that won't work with him being right there. I wouldn't mind trying Grand Legacy, but their prices are pretty high right now. If I can get a discount email, I'll check. But right now they're not even close on pricing for November.

Wow, they're building a pedestrian bridge over Harbor Boulevard?? It's about time!! :yay:

The Tropicana is also one of our go-to places. Great location and it's cheaper than either of the Best Westerns. We've had decent luck with both the Tropicana and the Del Sol. Clean, quiet, great location. The Del Sol has a parking situation, however, but they will find a spot and park your car for you.

We stayed there a few years ago (2 adults 3 kids) and we had to rearrange some furniture to fit the air mattress. Hojo's rooms (Bldg 1, either side) are much larger.

Have you considered DI&S or Camelot? They both have suites as an option. We've done a rollaway in a 2 Q room at Camelot before, but it was a tight squeeze! However, their suites are big. Camelot does have discounts for extended stays of five days or more. And DI&S has various room configurations. Just thought I'd throw that out there, for what it's worth.

When is the HOJO undergoing renovations? I am supposed to stay in Building 1 in July.

If you book somewhere else, still keep an eye on Grand Legacy prices. they seem to lower the closer the date gets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter