Your Advice: Fall BFF trip w/ first-timer

Purple Opal

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the tips and info I've received over the past few weeks by reading these boards. I've been to DW a couple of times and my BFF has never been - although in the 00s our families with young kids were annual DL pass holders, and together we visited DL and DCA regularly.

She was recently diagnosed with a neuro degenerative condition and except for some back and foot pain, is currently mobile, exercises regularly and is in decent health. She's travelled all over the world but never been to Orlando. So the two of us are going this Fall for a bff trip and I'm doing the planning. We are both in the 45-55 range and both very active. Our husbands may join for a day or two, but not likely so I'm scheduling for just 2 ppl. Also trying to schedule things well - the property is so huge and there are so many options that I want to direct our physical energy towards things that matter the most.

Would love your thoughts and advice about the schedule and resort choices. I want to make this special because who knows when either of us will be there again!

Likes: food - wouldn't quite call us foodies but let's say we both enjoy a variety of food types and for the most part try to eat healthy. But since we'll be walking those thousands of steps... We know about Epcot F&W but right now not planning to attend events. Music. Swimming. Horses.
Dislikes - anything too uncomfortable bc some lower back probs. So although most rides are still ok, we won't be doing rock n roller coaster.

Resorts:
- First 4 days at POLY standard room with WCA. Got the DDP + 4 days of park hopper tickets.
- Next 4 days in a garden view royal room at POR with WCA. This is where we originally booked but added the poly rooms when the deal came out. We don't have a meal plan or park tix attached to this stay.

Park Schedule:
In order for her to have a good time with more limited mobility, we're going to do alternating parks days and then pool days. While we are at the Poly, we'll do MK and Animal Kingdom. When we're at POR we'll do Epcot and then decide what to do with the 4th day ticket. (Possibly MK again).

Mobiiity:
Right now I'm planning to rent a car for the 4 days at POR, and the jury's out in whether to rent an ECV. My friend can and prefers to walk, walk but tires more easily and has back and foot pain (as do I! Lol ) So we will stay first at the poly, do first park day as MK walking and see how she feels.

Food:
Trying for a mix of doing some of the must-sees including Ohana, CA grill (during fireworks on a non-park day) and BOG, along with giving some room to explore.

Questions:
- what am I missing?
- Is it worth it to add anything from F&W festival?
- Is it worth it (in terms of low crowd lines and access to rides) for us to pay extra for Mickeys Halloween party at MK? Her favorite holiday is Halloween al though if we went it wouldn't be to dress up, but more to eat candy and knock out as many rides as possible. Right now we are thinking about using our 4th park day ticket to go back to MK. We probably shouldn't do the thrill rides at DHS and it seems like a lot is shut down there.
- Are there cool places outside the parks (like CA Grill) to eat dinner and watch the Epcot or DHS fireworks?

Thanks in advance for lending your brain power, for reading and commenting!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip!! I have a list of BFF's I'd love to take a trip like this with.

Likes: food - wouldn't quite call us foodies but let's say we both enjoy a variety of food types and for the most part try to eat healthy. But since we'll be walking those thousands of steps... We know about Epcot F&W but right now not planning to attend events. Is there a reason you've ruled out F&W?

Resorts:
- First 4 days at POLY standard room with WCA. Got the DDP + 4 days of park hopper tickets.
- Next 4 days in a garden view royal room at POR with WCA. This is where we originally booked but added the poly rooms when the deal came out. We don't have a meal plan or park tix attached to this stay. I would flip this if you could. I love POR, but I find it's hard to go from a deluxe to a moderate or value, vs going from a moderate to a deluxe.

Park Schedule:
In order for her to have a good time with more limited mobility, we're going to do alternating parks days and then pool days. While we are at the Poly, we'll do MK and Animal Kingdom. When we're at POR we'll do Epcot and then decide what to do with the 4th day ticket. (Possibly MK again). I would do all MK while staying at the Poly... Even if you rent a car as you've mentioned below... getting to MK by car requires parking, and then walking or taking a shuttle to TTC, and then boat or monorail to MK. Whereas, if you're at the Poly MK is just a monorail or boat ride away.

Mobiiity:
Right now I'm planning to rent a car for the 4 days at POR, and the jury's out in whether to rent an ECV. My friend can and prefers to walk, walk but tires more easily and has back and foot pain (as do I! Lol ) So we will stay first at the poly, do first park day as MK walking and see how she feels. I can't speak to renting an ECV, but there is A LOT of walking. For POR it is a large resort, and it can be a long walk back to your room after a long day at the parks, so there is that to consider.

Food:
Trying for a mix of doing some of the must-sees including Ohana, CA grill (during fireworks on a non-park day) and BOG, along with giving some room to explore.

Questions:
- what am I missing?
- Is it worth it (in terms of low crowd lines and access to rides) for us to pay extra for Mickeys Halloween party at MK? Her favorite holiday is Halloween al though if we went it wouldn't be to dress up, but more to eat candy and knock out as many rides as possible. Right now we are thinking about using our 4th park day ticket to go back to MK. We probably shouldn't do the thrill rides at DHS and it seems like a lot is shut down there. If she loves Halloween then I would definitely recommend MNSSHP... it's so much fun. We've gone twice & my 'costume' has been Minnie headband mouse ears one year, and Lilo headband mouse ears another. You could do that on a pool day, and I would definitely do it one of the days you're at the Poly.

- Are there cool places outside the parks (like CA Grill) to eat dinner and watch the Epcot or DHS fireworks?

Sounds like a great trip!! Have fun & happy planning!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the tips and info I've received over the past few weeks by reading these boards. I've been to DW a couple of times and my BFF has never been - although in the 00s our families with young kids were annual DL pass holders, and together we visited DL and DCA regularly.

She was recently diagnosed with a neuro degenerative condition and except for some back and foot pain, is currently mobile, exercises regularly and is in decent health. She's travelled all over the world but never been to Orlando. So the two of us are going this Fall for a bff trip and I'm doing the planning. We are both in the 45-55 range and both very active. Our husbands may join for a day or two, but not likely so I'm scheduling for just 2 ppl. Also trying to schedule things well - the property is so huge and there are so many options that I want to direct our physical energy towards things that matter the most.

Would love your thoughts and advice about the schedule and resort choices. I want to make this special because who knows when either of us will be there again!

Likes: food - wouldn't quite call us foodies but let's say we both enjoy a variety of food types and for the most part try to eat healthy. But since we'll be walking those thousands of steps... We know about Epcot F&W but right now not planning to attend events. Music. Swimming. Horses.
Dislikes - anything too uncomfortable bc some lower back probs. So although most rides are still ok, we won't be doing rock n roller coaster.

Resorts:
- Next 4 days in a garden view royal room at POR with WCA. This is where we originally booked but added the poly rooms when the deal came out. We don't have a meal plan or park tix attached to this stay.

Park Schedule:
In order for her to have a good time with more limited mobility, we're going to do alternating parks days and then pool days. While we are at the Poly, we'll do MK and Animal Kingdom. When we're at POR we'll do Epcot and then decide what to do with the 4th day ticket. (Possibly MK again).

Mobiiity:
Right now I'm planning to rent a car for the 4 days at POR, and the jury's out in whether to rent an ECV. My friend can and prefers to walk, walk but tires more easily and has back and foot pain (as do I! Lol ) So we will stay first at the poly, do first park day as MK walking and see how she feels.

Food:

Questions:
- what am I missing?
- Is it worth it (in terms of low crowd lines and access to rides) for us to pay extra for Mickeys Halloween party at MK? Her favorite holiday is Halloween al though if we went it wouldn't be to dress up, but more to eat candy and knock out as many rides as possible. Right now we are thinking about using our 4th park day ticket to go back to MK. We probably shouldn't do the thrill rides at DHS and it seems like a lot is shut down there.

Resort:
agree with @terri33inne that staying at the Poly after POR would be a good idea

Park Schedule:
I would go to the MK and Epcot while staying at the Poly. When staying at POR you have to bus everywhere anyway, so the DHS and AK make sense. Also, the POLY is as far as you can get from the AK. Finally you can walk or monorail to the TTC to get the Epcot monorail almost directly from the Poly.

Mobility:
I rented an ECV when traveling to WDW with severe knee issues. It was definitely a great asset. If your BFF has mobility issues, an ECV is wonderful to help get around the huge distances in WDW. You can rent these in the theme parks, but I recommend renting one that she can also use at the resort. POR and the Poly have enough distance to some rooms that an ECV would be useful.

Food:
If you enjoy different foods and flavours, I highly recommend eating at the AKL at Boma or in the AK at Tusker House. Delicious!!!

Questions:
F&W is something that you can check out as you stroll around World Showcase in Epcot. Try something if it appeals to you!
Watching Illuminations in Epcot is best from somewhere around WS. If you try to watch outside Epcot, you miss the low to the water portions which are very nice to see. But you can see the high fireworks from several places in the Epcot resort area, such as by the 'lighthouse' on the YC dock.

Enjoy your trip!

Sounds like a great trip!! I have a list of BFF's I'd love to take a trip like this with.

Likes: food - wouldn't quite call us foodies but let's say we both enjoy a variety of food types and for the most part try to eat healthy. But since we'll be walking those thousands of steps... We know about Epcot F&W but right now not planning to attend events. Is there a reason you've ruled out F&W?

Resorts:
- Next 4 days in a garden view royal room at POR with WCA. This is where we originally booked but added the poly rooms when the deal came out. We don't have a meal plan or park tix attached to this stay. I would flip this if you could. I love POR, but I find it's hard to go from a deluxe to a moderate or value, vs going from a moderate to a deluxe.

Park Schedule:
In order for her to have a good time with more limited mobility, we're going to do alternating parks days and then pool days. While we are at the Poly, we'll do MK and Animal Kingdom. When we're at POR we'll do Epcot and then decide what to do with the 4th day ticket. (Possibly MK again). I would do all MK while staying at the Poly... Even if you rent a car as you've mentioned below... getting to MK by car requires parking, and then walking or taking a shuttle to TTC, and then boat or monorail to MK. Whereas, if you're at the Poly MK is just a monorail or boat ride away.

Mobiiity:
Right now I'm planning to rent a car for the 4 days at POR, and the jury's out in whether to rent an ECV. My friend can and prefers to walk, walk but tires more easily and has back and foot pain (as do I! Lol ) So we will stay first at the poly, do first park day as MK walking and see how she feels. I can't speak to renting an ECV, but there is A LOT of walking. For POR it is a large resort, and it can be a long walk back to your room after a long day at the parks, so there is that to consider.

Food:

Questions:
- what am I missing?
- Is it worth it (in terms of low crowd lines and access to rides) for us to pay extra for Mickeys Halloween party at MK? Her favorite holiday is Halloween al though if we went it wouldn't be to dress up, but more to eat candy and knock out as many rides as possible. Right now we are thinking about using our 4th park day ticket to go back to MK. We probably shouldn't do the thrill rides at DHS and it seems like a lot is shut down there. If she loves Halloween then I would definitely recommend MNSSHP... it's so much fun. We've gone twice & my 'costume' has been Minnie headband mouse ears one year, and Lilo headband mouse ears another. You could do that on a pool day, and I would definitely do it one of the days you're at the Poly.

Sounds like a great trip!! Have fun & happy planning!!

Hi Terri, thanks so much for the advice! We're probably not going to do F&W b/c of time vs cost. It's likely we'll only be in Epcot for 1 day and I felt like you really need 2 days as a newcomer to see it all. Therefore we're thinking we'll focus more on seeing as many attractions as possible, vs events. Although we might consider using some of our ddp snack credits at some,of the food booths...same strategy for the Halloween party. Sounds like a lot,of,fun but where we'd see the real value is if the ticket enabled us to ride a lot of,rides because of shorter lines. Is that normal with the Halloween party?

Resort:
agree with @terri33inne that staying at the Poly after POR would be a good idea

Park Schedule:
I would go to the MK and Epcot while staying at the Poly. When staying at POR you have to bus everywhere anyway, so the DHS and AK make sense. Also, the POLY is as far as you can get from the AK. Finally you can walk or monorail to the TTC to get the Epcot monorail almost directly from the Poly.

Mobility:
I rented an ECV when traveling to WDW with severe knee issues. It was definitely a great asset. If your BFF has mobility issues, an ECV is wonderful to help get around the huge distances in WDW. You can rent these in the theme parks, but I recommend renting one that she can also use at the resort. POR and the Poly have enough distance to some rooms that an ECV would be useful.

Food:
If you enjoy different foods and flavours, I highly recommend eating at the AKL at Boma or in the AK at Tusker House. Delicious!!!

Questions:
F&W is something that you can check out as you stroll around World Showcase in Epcot. Try something if it appeals to you!
Watching Illuminations in Epcot is best from somewhere around WS. If you try to watch outside Epcot, you miss the low to the water portions which are very nice to see. But you can see the high fireworks from several places in the Epcot resort area, such as by the 'lighthouse' on the YC dock.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks so much, Babsy! I've been going back and forth with what parks on which days. The reason that we have Epcot planned during the second half, is because there is one day with late magic hours that we were going to try and take advantage of. but doing Epcot when we are staying on the monorail is very tempting. We are def eating at Boma for sure!

As far as an ECV, did you find you used it often at the resorts, too? We will probably spend some of our free days walking around other hotels and Disney springs etc., so it's starting to sound like a better idea.

And thanks for the tip about watching the fireworks! We will definitely be at beach club at some point and will check it out.

Yes, I did use the ECV at the resort as well. It was a lifesaver for me that trip, as I wouldn't have been able to manage to get around without it. I brought it into the room with me to plug in and charge for the next day. I couldn't get very far without at the time.
It really depends upon how mobile your BFF is. And, just because you have the ECV doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. You can use it to get to the theme park and then park it for a while to walk around a little, then pick it up to ride once tired. Epcot in particular is huge, so a ride is a very good idea for that theme park, at least.

Good luck!

Yes, I did use the ECV at the resort as well. It was a lifesaver for me that trip, as I wouldn't have been able to manage to get around without it. I brought it into the room with me to plug in and charge for the next day. I couldn't get very far without at the time.
It really depends upon how mobile your BFF is. And, just because you have the ECV doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. You can use it to get to the theme park and then park it for a while to walk around a little, then pick it up to ride once tired. Epcot in particular is huge, so a ride is a very good idea for that theme park, at least.

Good luck!
Thank you, you've given me a lot to think about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter