Yellow Flies - possible deterrent?

Should be her exoskeleton, turns out only the females bite. Same with Wasps, Bees, ants, spiders......well you get the
picture. Right?:rolleyes1

Hers, his, I didn't care, some yellow insect was parting ways with its exoskeleton! Based on the welts I brought home, I sure wish I had separate more! Those things come after you with a vengence.

I just got back from the fort yesterday, and here's what I used to deter these bloodsucking flies:eek: After reading all over the internet to find a possible fix for this problem, I came up with a trap that worked pretty good. Similar to the device found at the link from the OP, before I left home, I took 2 beach balls and spray painted them the brightest blue I could find (not black like shown in the article). When I got to the site I hung them from strings tied to the trees. (put in a shaded area about 20ft away from where you'd like to sit). Because I can't buy TangleTrap anywhere local, I coated the balls with mixture of resin and sugar. Each day I'd just pour a fresh coat of resin over the balls to keep them sticky. Over 3 days, I trapped about 30 of these suckers, and came home with only 1 bite from the trip. Not perfect but it sure helped!:thumbsup2

I just got back from the fort yesterday, and here's what I used to deter these bloodsucking flies:eek: After reading all over the internet to find a possible fix for this problem, I came up with a trap that worked pretty good. Similar to the device found at the link from the OP, before I left home, I took 2 beach balls and spray painted them the brightest blue I could find (not black like shown in the article). When I got to the site I hung them from strings tied to the trees. (put in a shaded area about 20ft away from where you'd like to sit). Because I can't buy TangleTrap anywhere local, I coated the balls with mixture of resin and sugar. Each day I'd just pour a fresh coat of resin over the balls to keep them sticky. Over 3 days, I trapped about 30 of these suckers, and came home with only 1 bite from the trip. Not perfect but it sure helped!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the post! I will try to convince DH to try the same. We arrive this Sunday!
About how much ratio resin to sugar?

Anyone know where I can find tangle-trap, or a similar product??? I just went to ACE and they don't carry it...:confused: Anyone know if like home depot or lowes or any of those types of places carry it. I'm having a hard time finding it locally.

Thanks!!!

In our area, we can get it at the Division of Forestry or the County Agriculture Office.

They are horrible this year. We just got back from camping in the Ocala National Forest and they were awful.

Just got home and the yellow flies are BAD! They never seem to bother me, until this trip! Nothing really deters them, we tried all different bug sprays, the last day we used Avon skin so soft, and that seemed to help a little. Stay in a screen room with a fan, that's about the only remedy (BUT they will try to sneak in any hole, so look out!)

The only type of spray that helps or is good to use is the spray with DEET. I used it while camping in Ocala this past weekend and it definitely helped.

Following is an article that was in our newpaper this past Sunday on these Flies.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...0/yellow-flies-have-residents-seeing-red.html

I can't find the tangletrap anywhere either. We will try your method instead!

So we'll have blue balls hanging from the trees :rolleyes1

And plastic baggies with pennies in them taped to our doorways. And will keep the fans a blowing.

Are the flies a problem all summer. We are coming in August and have never had a problem with them in the past. I think the mosquitos might be better then this.

Is bugspray with DEET ok for kids?

Honestly I do not know. I do know that my parents used it when I was a kid and I am still using it and neither I or any of my siblings have ever had a problem. It is the only thing that I will use, and in my opinion it is the only thing that works.

Are the flies a problem all summer. We are coming in August and have never had a problem with them in the past. I think the mosquitos might be better then this.

No, you should not have a problem with them then. I believe they have been saying on the news (not that I believe the news) they should only be a problem for about a month.

Is bugspray with DEET ok for kids?

The label on Deep woods OFF which contains 25% Deet said when you apply to children to spray it on your hands and rub it on the child as opposed to spraying it. This would make me think that it is ok for children, the eyes are the major concern in the labeling.

Now that wife and I are obsessed with the darn yellow flies.....are they going to ruin our 'camping' experience? Arrived in 4 days. Is it that bad?

spray - Off Deep Woods. We also bought blue hanging sticky traps from a local place called Worms Way. Could not find Tangle Trap anywhere - and if you order from the Company (Contech, in Canada) and it would have cost me more than the can to have it sent!

Now that wife and I are obsessed with the darn yellow flies.....are they going to ruin our 'camping' experience? Arrived in 4 days. Is it that bad?

We arrive Friday and all I can think about now are these stupid flies. I too am worried our experience will be less fun if I'm constantly swatting at or getting bitten by these suckers!! GRRRRRR :mad:

Same thing here. I am so paranoid about the flies that I am worried it is going to worry our vacation.

Today I bought the makings for our fly balls, some bug spray with deet (says family friendly on the packaging), and an extra fan. I will be doing the penny thing too. I am not too worried about our actual site though as we have a large screened in porch to sit under. But we do want to go fishing and for walks, etc. That's what I am worried about most.

Amazon has TangleTrap if you order before you come you can make your own traps with it. If you drive at all around Celebration you will see the black balls hanging in the trees everywhere. I think those are put up by our "bug men" you see them driving around nightly. I surprise the Disney "bug men" haven't put traps up. Yes Disney has "bug men" they drive around really late at night and I mean really late.

Bug spray with DEET is good but the concentration of DEET is supposed to be of a certain percentage which I think must be more than is safe for kids so be careful with it.

Fans work well too and they keep the mosquitos away too since the mosquito actually flies less than 2 mph.

... I surprise the Disney "bug men" haven't put traps up. Yes Disney has "bug men" they drive around really late at night and I mean really late.

Bug spray with DEET is good but the concentration of DEET is supposed to be of a certain percentage which I think must be more than is safe for kids so be careful with it.

Fans work well too and they keep the mosquitos away too since the mosquito actually flies less than 2 mph.

As a matter of fact, if you take a bike ride down the wilderness trail then turn off onto the side trail, you'll come across a BIG bluish-purple deer fly trap the disney "bug men" put up hanging from a tree along the edge of bay lake! It was COVERED in these suckers!:scared1:

As for a high % deet spray, Target sells a spray called Repel 100 in the camping section. It is ~100% deet... it says that it's safe for use, just don't spray directly onto the face.

Here's a link to the Repel 100 label:
http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/100Pump/ProductLabels/default.htm

As a matter of fact, if you take a bike ride down the wilderness trail then turn off onto the side trail, you'll come across a BIG bluish-purple deer fly trap the disney "bug men" put up hanging from a tree along the edge of bay lake! It was COVERED in these suckers!:scared1:

As for a high % deet spray, Target sells a spray called Repel 100 in the camping section. It is ~100% deet... it says that it's safe for use, just don't spray directly onto the face.

I wondered what those traps were for. I saw 2 on my bike rides.

My DH's uncle invented and sells these patches, people up here in Northern MI swear by them....here is the link to see and maybe buy: www.deerflypatches.com
a lot of fishermen buy them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter