Yellow Flies - possible deterrent?

What to do (from link in prior post)
A trapping method homeowners can use, which does not involve the use of pesticides, is called the “sticky black ball” trap. Basically it is a beach ball, (milk jugs work just as well and are easier to hang) painted black and coated with a sticky substance. The sticky substance is called Tangle-Trap and comes in a spray or liquid applicator. It can be found at local Ace Hardware stores.

These devices are hung from a tree limb using string, in a shaded area, about 4 feet above the ground. Movement of the ball by the wind attracts the flies, thinking it is an animal, they land, get stuck, and die on the ball. Several of these balls will reduce the local adult populations.

We just returned from the Fort and found the biting flies to be alive and well! We used a fan when we sat outside - the biting is minimal as long as there is a breeze. Have fun!

i have absolutely NOTHING to contribute, other than to say that it is very ironic that i just posted earlier today on my facebook acct that I was being pursued by my very first yellowflies of the season.....and (in relation to the pp,) i live in walton county. when ya'll figure out how to get rid of them.....please, please, please....let me know!

Anyone know where I can find tangle-trap, or a similar product??? I just went to ACE and they don't carry it...:confused: Anyone know if like home depot or lowes or any of those types of places carry it. I'm having a hard time finding it locally.

Thanks!!!

We've been to Disney LOTS, I have lived in Florida twice, and I had NEVER seen a yellow fly until we went to Disney last week! What nasty things! They bit me several times a day, usually in the evenings. They swarmed around our car, our condo doors, and ESPECIALLY me!! I'm really not a whiner about bugs, but those flies freaked me out! Hope their "season" is short-lived!!!

Oh my gosh, we are here now and these flies are terrible! DH was eaten alive the first night. It's really upsetting that we can't spend as much time outside as we would like...they are vicious! We've had to eat inside the last 2 nights to get away from them. Unfortunately we don't have any kind of screen room, but we'll be looking for one this weekend when we pop out for supplies. For anyone that's on their way down...plan ahead!

Oh my gosh, we are here now and these flies are terrible! DH was eaten alive the first night. It's really upsetting that we can't spend as much time outside as we would like...they are vicious! We've had to eat inside the last 2 nights to get away from them. Unfortunately we don't have any kind of screen room, but we'll be looking for one this weekend when we pop out for supplies. For anyone that's on their way down...plan ahead!

We have been here since saturday....they seem to be worse the last few days. No bueno.

On Pop Up Portal site someone suggested running a fan and that seemed to keep them away, another person suggested a ziplock gallon bag filled halfway with water and pennies? That one sounded weird...

The only real remedies I can find are the glue trap ones mention in PP

We just got back from WDW yesterday and I was eaten up by them at the Grand Floridian. I wondered how bad they were at the campground-those things are vicious!

132 days till our trip to Ft. Wilderness :cool1:

Jennifer

We are heading down June 19th and I have been worried about the yellow flies.We have a bug sprayer that heats up and uses citronella oil. Does anyone think it will do any good?

The only thing that has worked for us is a screen room, fan and a fly swatter. I was bitten twice by a particularly ferocious one, who came at me for seconds on my elbow. Now several days later, it is very tender and swollen. I am very glad I separated him from his exoskeleton!

The only thing that has worked for us is a screen room, fan and a fly swatter. I was bitten twice by a particularly ferocious one, who came at me for seconds on my elbow. Now several days later, it is very tender and swollen. I am very glad I separated him from his exoskeleton!

Should be her exoskeleton, turns out only the females bite. Same with Wasps, Bees, ants, spiders......well you get the
picture. Right?:rolleyes1

Just got home and the yellow flies are BAD! They never seem to bother me, until this trip! Nothing really deters them, we tried all different bug sprays, the last day we used Avon skin so soft, and that seemed to help a little. Stay in a screen room with a fan, that's about the only remedy (BUT they will try to sneak in any hole, so look out!)

Someone told me last week a way to keep flies away.

Take a ziplock sandwich bag fill 1/2 full of water, put 4 pennies in it, zip and tape to door/entry way and the flies won't pass by it. She said it had to do with reflection. She swears it works, I'm gonna try it.

Hmmm, think I can make a necklace out of a ziplock baggy full of water and pennies to keep the dang things away from me?? LoL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter