*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

We used to go the first week of May between the Summit and the D2 Summit, and even though it was pretty good crowd wise Tues-Thurs it was a total nightmare Fri, Sat and Sun. We started to hate going then.
So a few years ago we switched to the middle of May. This year we are going May 10-18. Even though we arrive the last day of the D2 every year we don’t notice them to much on Sun and by the Mon. after it is usually great for the rest of week. The crowds are low to moderate and there aren't mobs of cheerleaders to be seen anywhere. So for us, the middle of the month is the time we will always chose, so the 9-15 should be good for you. You may have to endure some large cheer groups on the 9th and maybe the 10th, but if you encounter any just flee in a different direction.
Hope you have a great time.
Thanks that's great news.

So DHS strikes again.. I obviously do not have a plan for the day yet.. but I had an idea of what we were going to do.. NOT ANYMORE!!! What FP are you all planning on getting??? SDD or MFSR? I was going to do FP SDD and stand by MFSR at the end of the night.. but now I'm worried with the FP the standby lines are going to be horrible.. and HS was going to be my 60+2 day.. oy vey... brain is on total overload today wondering what we are going to do.. this is all without the railroad ride info yet.. once march comes and I get a few fastpasses hopefully everything will make a little more sense!

Our Hollywood Studios day is 60+1 so what we FP+ might not be much of a choice especially since we'd need 6 of them. I think I would rather fastpass SDD since the line is outside but my husband and oldest are huge Star Wars fans. And that's the ride my husband wants to do the most.

We used to go the first week of May between the Summit and the D2 Summit, and even though it was pretty good crowd wise Tues-Thurs it was a total nightmare Fri, Sat and Sun. We started to hate going then.
So a few years ago we switched to the middle of May. This year we are going May 10-18. Even though we arrive the last day of the D2 every year we don’t notice them to much on Sun and by the Mon. after it is usually great for the rest of week. The crowds are low to moderate and there aren't mobs of cheerleaders to be seen anywhere. So for us, the middle of the month is the time we will always chose, so the 9-15 should be good for you. You may have to endure some large cheer groups on the 9th and maybe the 10th, but if you encounter any just flee in a different direction.
Hope you have a great time.

We are going May 2-11 and now I'm nervous, lol. From what I was reading people say the dance/cheer/sports groups have more of an impact on the resorts they stay at, which tend to be Values and some Mods. Do you really see a lot of them in the parks? We do have AH tickets a couple of nights though.

We are going May 2-11 and now I'm nervous, lol. From what I was reading people say the dance/cheer/sports groups have more of an impact on the resorts they stay at, which tend to be Values and some Mods. Do you really see a lot of them in the parks? We do have AH tickets a couple of nights though.
I wouldn’t worry too much, you will still have a great time although the weekends will be busier than the weekdays. It is still on my list as second choice of weeks! On the weekends the standby lines tend to be full of the cheer groups as most of them do not even get their ticket numbers until they arrive so most do not have any opportunity to select fastpass in advance, so they dont effect the fastpass lines at all. And in standby most are respectful but some do try to cut the line. A few years back some tried to cut saying their friends were up ahead and my hubby told them no cutting you have to go to the end of the line and they did it without complaint and when they left everyone around us cheered him.
Also, you can still pull extra fastpasses because a lot of them don't know you can refresh either. And you will not see any of them at the AH parties. So just realize that Fri-Sun will be probably be busier than average but still manageable.

Uggh the waiting for a trip is so difficult
I soooo agree. Waiting for fastpass day seems to be a long way off even though its just a month a half away for me. I keep busy by re-thinking and refining my park days, my fastpass times and extra backup fastpass times in case my first choices are unavailable and i am sure my ADR’s will get some revisions as well at some point. My hubby just a few weeks ago said it seems like such a long way off but now that Feb is almost here, he started to say that its beginning to feel like its not to long off now.

I soooo agree. Waiting for fastpass day seems to be a long way off even though its just a month a half away for me. I keep busy by re-thinking and refining my park days, my fastpass times and extra backup fastpass times in case my first choices are unavailable and i am sure my ADR’s will get some revisions as well at some point. My hubby just a few weeks ago said it seems like such a long way off but now that Feb is almost here, he started to say that its beginning to feel like its not to long off now.
Yeah my wife has been in snack planning mode and quick serve choices. I took care of the ADRs and similar to you adjusting times when better ones become available seems like a lot of availability for this time in may even "be our guest". My job now will be fast passes.

I see that the currently listed hours for most of the parks (including Hollywood Studios are 9am.

If they were going to open earlier (like say adjusting to open HS at 7 or 8 instead of 9) when do they normally do that? Are we in the clear yet for the first part of May?

I see that the currently listed hours for most of the parks (including Hollywood Studios are 9am.

If they were going to open earlier (like say adjusting to open HS at 7 or 8 instead of 9) when do they normally do that? Are we in the clear yet for the first part of May?
Last week (Friday afternoon) they changed February 4-29th to 8 am opening. The first few days were 7am and they changed with some of the January dates. I don’t expect (and I could be wrong) that if they were to change the hours, we won’t see that change until April.

Last edited:

If you look at past history, Disney usually charges the park hours about 2 to 3 weeks before the next month hits, commonly on a Friday. For our May trips they are likely to change them aprrox. April 10 or the 17th. Of course, knowing Disney, it could happen earlier than that or the day before...

Last week (Friday afternoon) they changed February 4-29th to 8 am opening. The first few days were 7am and they changed with some of the January dates. I don’t expect (and I could be wrong) that if they were to change the hours, we won’t see that change until April.

I think April is a good bet. I would guess Disney is monitoring the popularity of ROTR and will continue to adjust hours as long as the demand is there, and I'm pretty certain it will be that way for a while. I'd think we're looking at 8:00 openings in May. That probably gives you an opportunity to grab a BG and unless you're in the first group, hop over to Epcot for rope drop there. That's currently my working plan anyway.

I think April is a good bet. I would guess Disney is monitoring the popularity of ROTR and will continue to adjust hours as long as the demand is there, and I'm pretty certain it will be that way for a while. I'd think we're looking at 8:00 openings in May. That probably gives you an opportunity to grab a BG and unless you're in the first group, hop over to Epcot for rope drop there. That's currently my working plan anyway.

I prefer the earlier openings...I feel like it’s easier to get more done with less people. We’re probably looking at 1.5 days for the Studios given that we’re nuts enough to be heading there for May the 4th, lol.

I think yours is a very doable plan. I kinda did the opposite in November, walked on to TSM at HS closing then walked over to Epcot to catch Epcot Forever. It took me about 15 minutes to get there. I had planned to try the Skyliner but it was down that whole night.

I prefer the earlier openings...I feel like it’s easier to get more done with less people. We’re probably looking at 1.5 days for the Studios given that we’re nuts enough to be heading there for May the 4th, lol.

I think yours is a very doable plan. I kinda did the opposite in November, walked on to TSM at HS closing then walked over to Epcot to catch Epcot Forever. It took me about 15 minutes to get there. I had planned to try the Skyliner but it was down that whole night.

Yeah, I mean, we're still kind of playing DHS by ear but I think it's becoming clearer that our original plan of one full day (and really not even a "full" day at that, because it comes the night after DAH, so we're not going to be up at the crack of dawn) isn't going to work with the current structure. So we'll have that day, and at least one morning there, plus returning for a BG (hopefully). Maybe a second morning as well, depending on the MMRR situation. I'm just trying not to cannibalize our Epcot time too much, so I figure we'll use these days sort of interchangeably since it's so easy to get from one to the other. I'd like to take the Skyliner at least once, though with my luck, it would break down as we were headed back to our BG, lol, so that one might be a walking trip.

I'm purposely avoiding DHS on May the 4th (we'll be at MK that day in case you were curious 😁)

This is when I love having the ability to park hop. When a park seems to be too crowded I can leave. I believe the above-mentioned weekend crowds are more of a thing with teen groups. They tend to keep pretty busy for the most part.

Uggh the waiting for a trip is so difficult

Right?! I can't even wrap my mind around FPs either. At least I have a month to hone my selections and plans. 😂

Joining in! We'll be at the Poly May 20-23 to celebrate my birthday. There is absolutely no better place to be on your birthday! So many changes since we we last visited in September 2018. Very excited to check out all the new stuff :)

Yay May birthdays! Also want to say your doggos are cute :)

Anyone ever done a magic band upgrade from the free one to the $10 design ones? How long does it take for them to send your bands? I've seen conflicting information when I paid for it I was told 5 to 7 days then in the confirmation email it says 10 days prior to trip. I've read some people say next day or that they found out the one they ordered was sold out and it was last minute before they received the info.

Anyone ever done a magic band upgrade from the free one to the $10 design ones? How long does it take for them to send your bands? I've seen conflicting information when I paid for it I was told 5 to 7 days then in the confirmation email it says 10 days prior to trip. I've read some people say next day or that they found out the one they ordered was sold out and it was last minute before they received the info.

We did for our trip last August. I ordered them in June and looking back it shows they shipped 2 days later. I know we had them probably about a week after that then.

We did for our trip last August. I ordered them in June and looking back it shows they shipped 2 days later. I know we had them probably about a week after that then.
Awesome. Thank you, hopefully I'll see a shipping notification soon we ordered this past Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter