WWYD?-Did I make the right choice?

DisneyDreamer04

Mouseketeer
I have stressed over this, longer than I care to admit. We are a family five, (3 kids) all teen girls. Haven’t been to Wdw in 7 years.
We booked originally two Pop preferred rooms, and today I changed and got a garden view @ YC, with a pretty sweet discount. The difference is exactly what PH will cost our family. I was enamored by the area, rooms, pool, and the extended magic hours. We already had decided to get Genie +, and we were gonna make it easier on us, by also adding hoppers, but in the long run, I thought it made sense to have the location, and the extended magic hours, instead..

Help a mama decide.. I am starting to stress.

Thank you guys ahead of time.
🙂🙂🙂

I have stressed over this, longer than I care to admit. We are a family five, (3 kids) all teen girls. Haven’t been to Wdw in 7 years.
We booked originally two Pop preferred rooms, and today I changed and got a garden view @ YC, with a pretty sweet discount. The difference is exactly what PH will cost our family. I was enamored by the area, rooms, pool, and the extended magic hours. We already had decided to get Genie +, and we were gonna make it easier on us, by also adding hoppers, but in the long run, I thought it made sense to have the location, and the extended magic hours, instead..

🙂🙂🙂
You definitely made the right decision, YC is the best!! It has the best pool on property hands down. The YC pool is the only Disney pool that I look forward to going in after a park day. That sand bottom is the best. You should really plan a pool/resort day when staying here. Plus the rooms at YC are all nicely renovated, you can walk into Epcot World showcase, lovely boat ride to Hollywood studios, First stop pickup and drop off on the buses to MK and AK, and your right on crescent lake and the Boardwalk. We use to choose a different hotel on our yearly trips to Disney just to experience all the hotels but once we found YCBC we were hooked and have no reason to stay anywhere else. For reference we have stayed at every Deluxe and Moderate on property at least once and a few like the Poly several times. We stayed one year at AOA as well.And FWIW my family never buys the PH, just don’t see the value in it. One park per day is plenty, and your teens will love the Boardwalk area.

🙂🙂🙂
If you can swing it you did choose wisely!!! One year we stayed at Pop ( and don’t get me wrong it was nice BUT it’s not a deluxe resort) but anyway when we would be in that area of the Yatch I always regretted it!! We been to Disney 30 plus years and have stayed at the values, moderates and deluxe. Iam kind of spoiled .. we love the Epcot resorts and the Contemporary... a lot of great memories there with our boys!! So Give the Yatch Club a try your family will be wowed when you walk into the lobby it’s beautiful... also request a balcony. Enjoy!!

Just to clarify, are you saying 2 rooms at Pop versus 1 room at YC, for 2 adults and 3 teen girls?

My first choice is always the Epcot Resort area. But for 5 people, 3 of whom are teen girls, I wonder if you would be better off with the 2 bathrooms you would get with 2 rooms at Pop. Also, only you know if your girls are fine with that much togetherness, or if they would do better if they could be split up into different rooms. And, if the adults would share a bed at Pop (meaning 2 of the girls in their own room), that would mean everybody would get their own bed. In one room at YC, two of the girls are going to share a bed.

You know your family of course (how well they get along, time to get ready, etc. etc.) - you should be fine. I assume the POP rooms are connecting? We stayed at the POP resort once for one night before our DVC stay (as well as POR). We drove straight through (just DH and me) and arrived one night early. Of course you will have the extra bathroom and space and it is fine and good but you will love the YC.

Plenty of families have 5 in a DVC studio. As far as size, not much difference. Many years ago, before buying DVC, we always booked one room at "Dixie Landings" - it was the only moderate that could fit 5. Finally we outgrew it - never tried it in a studio once we bought DVC but many do it.

For a slight difference (because of the discount), I would choose YC - you might get spoiled with how convenient it is to get to Epcot and DHS. You will love the amenities, restaurant options and entertainment around the lake too.

Enjoy!!!

I know you’d be giving up park hoppers to stay at the Yacht Club, but for me, I would definitely want the park-hopper and I’d make use of it daily being so close to Epcot.

Maybe consider adding the park hopper on to just you and your husband’s ticket once you’re there. :)

I love the Epcot resorts. They are my favorite. But no way would I do one room at YC (or anywhere) with 3 teen girls. I have two kids and we stopped doing one room anywhere once they hit the teen years. The rooms aren’t big. They spend a lot of time in the bathroom with showering and Getting ready, changing clothes, doing hair, makeup.

I only go to Disney now with DD or DH so I my two of us at a time. I recently did CSR with only myself and DD16 and I thought many times about how I could never do this room with our family of 4. Last time we did one room at Disney or anywhere was when they were 15 and 9 and that was pushing it.

If we ever go back as a family we would most likely stay at WBC in a 2 or 3 bedroom. We did this recently at a Wyndham resort for our DC trip and it was so nice having the space and being in one unit. And so cheap through a site I found on this board.

Last edited:

Hmmm. . .
The blessing of space at Pop vs. the blessing of a deluxe resoort . . .
There is never a perfect answer in life.

We had a Pop trip in between two YC trips. Although we really enjoyed the Skyliner, I always had a concern in the back of my head that we would get trapped in it. In fact, on our way back to our room at YC from IG last summer, the Skyliner was stopped in the hot sun. People were waving to us from their "car" in the sky. I felt so bad for them because it had been stopped for some time. We would absolutely stay at Pop again. But the Skyliner does worry me.

The YC quick service does not have many options compaared to the food court at Pop. If the Pop type food court is something you are used to, the Dolphin is close by. I don't know much about it, but I think they do have a quick service type place.

Last summer, we took a cruise. There were four of us (DD 21, DS 23, my mom, and myself) in tiny cabin. It was a suite, but same size/smaller than a hotel room. It was "togetherness," but we enjoyed the perks of the suite life instead of two balcony cabins.

On the other hand. . .
When we go to WDW now, it is just DD and myself. But in the past when our family of 4 would visit, we would stay off-site and get a two bedroom condo for the space. On our last stay as a family, we had a split stay between WL and a condo. I had always wanted to stay at WL. But it was a relief to leave WL and spread out in the condo.

The Epcot area resorts are great! I feel far away from every day worries when we are there.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have the best trip ever!

We are a family of five who have always stayed in one room when at WDW. The family coped with the situation because they were at WDW and it was very special to be there. There may have been a time or two when the bathroom became a bit of an issue, but all in all, it was fine.

Our teens loved staying in at the BC or YC because of the pool and because they could walk to Epcot and DH. :)

Ohhh that's a hard one. Three teen girls and one bathroom sounds rough but it you can swing it, do it. YC is a gorgeous resort and the pool cannot be beat.
Since you'll have the deluxe extra hours, you may not even need PH.
If the amount of room is a concern, I'd check out renting a DVC 1 or 2 bedroom villa-- you may get more room for what you're already paying.

My daughter has a family of 5 (three girls 22,21,15). Last year we did a split stay at Movies then Beach Club. They had 2 rooms at the Movies and 1 room at Beach Club but would definitely chose the one room at the Deluxe if we did not do a split stay. Loved the area and the pool.

Last edited:
I think it really comes down to whether or not you will all be comfortable sharing one room and one bathroom. I, personally, would be fine staying in the EP resort area without PH.

I think you made the right choice! It will be a little cramped in the room, but the pluses you’ve listed outweigh that. Also, it might force everyone to spend less time in the room, and more time out enjoying the resort! Not sure if your dates and length of stay, but if possible having a non park day is a great option! Plenty to do around YC/BC, and the BW. Maybe break up the getting ready process by making a flexible shower schedule, and some shower at night & others in the morning? Adjust expectations and be real about sharing a small space. From personal experience last Fall, my family of four did not need the space of a 1 BR at WDW. We would have done just fine in a Standard with 2 queens. I was kicking myself, because having the space meant we spent more time in the room, and this is not a vacation where there is little to do outside your room 😂 Although I do think it would be worth a look to cross check the price of renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom at BCV. They are undergoing a soft renovation soon, and plan to be done in April. And one more plus about being at a Deluxe vs Value is that the mattresses will be better, and walls thicker, so hopefully all will get a great nights sleep!

I’d go back to 2 preferred rooms at Pop. While I would give up PH for a deluxe, I would not give up the second bathroom with 3 teen girls. YC is not worth that when Pop has the Skyliner.

What does the rest of your fam think? I’d solicit opinions because one grouchy teen girl can ruin everyone’s week when you’re sharing one room.

Have you considered 2 rooms at Dolphin? It might be the middle ground you’re looking for.

When are you planning to go as that pricing will have a major impact on other options. As @gottalovepluto indicated have you considered rooms at the Dolphin or the Swan. They have options where you get 2 connecting rooms: 1 King and 1 (2) Queen bed room with a connecting door.

It is setup for families. Book any rate plan, then call us at 800-227-1500 to reserve a second guest room for up to 25% off regular rates. Be sure to ask for “Stay Connected” when you call! (Subject to availability at time of booking). Many times of year this is a cheaper option vs YC and also allow you PH as an option.

You can also call in-house reservations at Local: 407-934-4000 Reservations: 1-888-828-8850

Dave

Another vote for looking into Swan/Dolphin. They have little mini-suites if you don't want to do the two rooms but you could most likely get two rooms for pretty close to the price of YC. Don't get me wrong, I love YC, it is my favorite resort on property but I don't love the cost. It really depends on how well the girls get along, you can't beat the location and just the feel of YC. Being able to walk to two parks is so nice. As far as non-hoppers, I'm pro hoppers always have been always will be. I tend to stay at Dolphin or do a split stay between either a value or moderate and Dolphin and being able to walk to Epcot or HS every night for snacks or just being there is worth the price of hoppers to me.

I have 3 teen daughters and absolutely would stick with BC for these reasons:

- no guarantee of connecting rooms at POP
- my kids like to have privacy to call their boyfriends away from each other too, if you get a full balcony at bc this is a good place for that.
- the kids can explore the boardwalk area and hotels without needing to do any transportation if they want to do a little exploration but get nervous about navigating the transportation.
- the pool

You did the right thing. The evening deluxe hours are amazing. Just make sure you have park pass reservations for the park holding the evening hours that week if you don’t end up getting PH. Have an amazing trip!

I think that you made the right decision! Over the summer, we had 2 exchange girls from France plus my own 2 kids (so we became a family of 6). We went everywhere from Lake Tahoe to LA (we live in CA). The point being, we had 4 kiddos ranging in age from 15-18 and 3 of them were girls. Many times we would have 2 rooms in a suite type hotel but only 1 bathroom and we made it work just fine. YC is my favorite resort and I think you will love the location...enjoy!

Just to clarify, are you saying 2 rooms at Pop versus 1 room at YC, for 2 adults and 3 teen girls?

My first choice is always the Epcot Resort area. But for 5 people, 3 of whom are teen girls, I wonder if you would be better off with the 2 bathrooms you would get with 2 rooms at Pop. Also, only you know if your girls are fine with that much togetherness, or if they would do better if they could be split up into different rooms. And, if the adults would share a bed at Pop (meaning 2 of the girls in their own room), that would mean everybody would get their own bed. In one room at YC, two of the girls are going to share a bed.
Yes, 2 rooms vs. 1. I have talked to the girls at length, and they say they are totally fine all sharing a room..it is the second bathroom that i Worry about losing. Also, the funds going towards the room, vs. PH is the other worry. We will have a 10 base ticket, which we will be buying Genie+ for at least 8 of, so that is why I splurged on our room.

thank you guys again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter