• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow prices: say yes for the dress

I don’t know, I think that’s a fairly accurate description. I don’t have a problem with a figure fitting dress, but some parts of the bride should be reserved for the groom’s eyes only. :scared:
I just have an issue with the wedding dress looking more like something you would wear on your wedding night. I have no worries with DD. She says she doesn’t want everyone “ seeing her stuff” in a wedding dress.

I understand you were curious about "current recommendations", but I reject the idea that a wedding dress should cost a certain amount -- sounds like a way to encourage people to spend, spend, spend. What if you wear your mother or grandmother's dress? Is that "wrong"?

I also reject the idea that a bigger wedding should require a more expensive dress!

Quoted your replies to quoting me. I would reject both of the ideas you said as well. I certainly didn't say them. Setting a maximum recommended budget by percentage doesn't mean you have to spend it. ?? Not sure how you went from "recommended to be at or below this percent of your budget" to must spend a certain amount. ?? Just because my friends spent a higher percentage on their dresses than I did doesn't mean it was a requirement. ??? I think dresses did require a higher percentage of most wedding budgets back then though. Wedding dress prices haven't changed that much, but the average price of weddings has.

Last edited:
When my DIL went to pick out her dress, she invited me. While she was trying them on I looked at accessories. Rhinestone belts for $300 and veils for $300 +. I ordered a belt from Wish.com and told her if she didn’t like it she wouldn’t hurt my feelings if she didn’t wear it. It was $25 and she got tons of compliments on it. Her veil came from Etsy for about $50 and it was beautiful.

I cannot tell you how to spend your money, but when you say $6-10K for a gown my eyes automatically roll. :rolleyes2 Turnabout is fair play, you cannot tell me I cannot roll my eyes!

That much for a dress you're going to wear for only 1 day? ONE DAY!!! No, no I cannot do it. Call me cheap.

And sorry, if it is for one of those see through Pnina dresses then I really lose it. :laughing:
How are you paying $10K for a bandana size piece of fabric attached to one of grandma's doilies with some BeDazzler sequins? (yes, I am being sarcastic)
Sardonic, not sarcastic. Derision based on actuality. My definintion, not the customer's :D

Alterations can add a lot to the cost too, and people don’t think about that.

They automatically add I think it was close to $900 for alterations. They charge you more if they need to add material. Basic alterations in that price.

I was probably the bride from hell as far as the bridal store was concerned. Told them I would not be paying more than $500 for a dress, wanted short sleeves, and open neckline, not too many frills.

She brought out 10 dresses. 5 of them were $1000, 1 of them had long sleeves and one of them had a high neck like a turtleneck. I told her to take those 7 away because I wouldn’t even be trying them on. I tried on the remaining 3, bought the one that I loved which was $400, got a veil that I loved that was $75 and was out the door for under $500. Im not a high heel person so I went to my local Macy’s and bought a cute pair of white flats with a little bow on them on sale for about $25. There was no way in God’s green earth I was going to pay thousands of dollars for a dress that is be wearing one time.

My sister in law got her gown there many years ago. I don’t believe the store was super expensive at that time. Also my sisters ex sister in law was on the show a few years ago.

And you have young brides on the show whining and crying that they can't spend $25k on a dress until daddy whips out the credit card and makes it happen. It's ridiculous. I spent $800 on mine at a local to me shop and that was too much. My mom thought it was the dress and paid the down payment without telling me. It wasn't but I could not cancel. Instead, I had wanted one at Davids Bridal for the half the price. 17 years later and the dress is in a trash bag in the garage. Not to throw away, but stored better than the cheap dress bag. My veil was under $50 on viels.com or something. It was beautiful and not cheap looking.

My dress was $1500 from pricillas of Boston, very simple, which is what I wanted. Alterations were $50 (to put in little straps to pull back my bra straps. I live that show, but most of the time it’s the bride or her family wanting to try dresses over budget, the consultants try to talk them out of it. The more expensive dresses have more crystals and beadwork, that adds up fast. My daughters’ irish dance costumes were between $2000 - $3000+, handmade by leprechauns, the stones alone were $500+ before put on.

We met Shay for one of the fittings. So sweet

No clue why my pictures always show up sideways.

Attachments

• 61586E6A-6B20-4C51-B04F-21FE3880335A.jpeg
    61586E6A-6B20-4C51-B04F-21FE3880335A.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 27
  • CA62C045-EFDF-47CE-911B-44B17582DF7E.jpeg
    CA62C045-EFDF-47CE-911B-44B17582DF7E.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
My dd got her dress at Kleinfeld. Just add head piece, shoes and veil - veils can cost as much as the dress :sad2:

My DD got married last November. Luckily for the budget, she found veils costumy and chose to have the florist make a headpiece that fit her outdoor wedding instead. She found a pair of floral embroidered blue velvet boots on clearance for about $35 for the ceremony and a pair of pink MK tennis shoes at the outlet for the reception. The tennis shoes didn’t really seem like a wedding expense as she would have likely bought them anyway and was able to wear them after.

Kleinfeld marks everything WAY up. You can buy the same gowns from other wedding stores without the gouging. My DD works in a bridal salon. They sell some of the same exact gowns as Kleinfelds and their TOP dress sells for something like $3K. They would not roll their eyes at you if you wanted to spent $2-3K on a dress. They would treat you very well. LOL. There are only so many wedding gowns out there, people. :-) Now, if you want that "experience", fine, go to Kleinfelds. But if you are looking for a wedding gown, go to one of your local salons.

DD and I have probably watched every episode of that show so she had hopes for a similar experience. Since her MOH was coming from out of state and her future MIL, grandmother, and I were driving 3 hours, she scouted stores ahead of time. She asked about budgets and looked around a bit in her city. One store was marked off because they said their dresses started at $2k with few at that price.

As it turned out, she had a great experience at the local store she chose. The sales associate did the whole, “tell me about your wedding, fiancé, etc.” “Show me your Pinterest board.” “What do you think you want?” “What do you absolutely not want to try on?” And last “What is your budget?” She bought the 5th dress she tried on. The first four were almost perfect. As the stylist saw what she liked and what was just not quite perfect, she brought out dress five and DD fell in love.
All that to say, yes, in San Antonio, Texas, at least, you can have the Kleinfeld experience at a local store for a reasonable (if wedding dresses are reasonable) price.
And yes, as someone mentioned, a rhinestone belt was added.🤷🏻‍♀️
Alterations can add a lot to the cost too, and people don’t think about that.
Yeeeeessss! That is my big advice to everyone now. Make sure you include alterations in your budget.
Alterations for DD’s were $900. My niece bought her dress on sale at David’s Bridal for $250 and then had to spend $750 on alterations. Still a dress for 1K but not the deal she was hoping for.

As far as percentage of wedding budget, her total wedding clothes were a bit over 10% when alterations were factored in. The biggest expense was the reception with the bar being the biggest single item there.

Honestly 2019 and wedding planning was the most fun ever and worth every penny. Especially now that 2020 has been pretty devoid of special moments

Attachments

• 65205DEF-8CBA-4FD6-A857-EE95E67AD573.jpeg
    65205DEF-8CBA-4FD6-A857-EE95E67AD573.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 900F9C68-F7FF-43FB-BD8B-EC82790803FF.jpeg
    900F9C68-F7FF-43FB-BD8B-EC82790803FF.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 67554A94-49BF-49C9-8BA5-B33435C0B82A.jpeg
    67554A94-49BF-49C9-8BA5-B33435C0B82A.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2E34F2EC-06DC-446A-8018-5D7EF6FD6D11.jpeg
    2E34F2EC-06DC-446A-8018-5D7EF6FD6D11.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
We had Debra. She was awesome. They were all extremely nice and professional. Really no complaints. We had our budget and she was good. She did ask my permission to show my daughter two dresses that were a little above the budget because of my dd’s description, etc. I said yes.
TV show is all about drama and ratings for the show. She bought her shoes elsewhere to match her dress. Still expensive. She bought her sneakers with pearls at Kleinfeld.

Attachments

• 9781BB8B-2CD7-460B-8BD5-C1E1421AAE44.jpeg
    9781BB8B-2CD7-460B-8BD5-C1E1421AAE44.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 739CD1BA-4B66-4C9D-8AE7-8D57D39C95A1.jpeg
    739CD1BA-4B66-4C9D-8AE7-8D57D39C95A1.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We had Debra. She was awesome. They were all extremely nice and professional. Really no complaints. We have our budget and she was good. She did ask my permission to show my dad two dresses that were a little above the budget because of my dd’s description, etc. I said yes.
TV show is all about drama and ratings for the show. She bought her shoes elsewhere to match her dress. Still expensive. She bought her sneakers with pearls at Kleinfeld.
Debra is my favorite consultant on the show.

I like Randy's dress line and his gowns seem to be reasonably priced, relatively speaking. :rotfl:

I got married last year and went to David's Bridal. My dress was 300.00 and alterations were less than 200 I believe. I loved my dress and got a ton of compliments. Now that it is just sitting in a box in my closet, I am so glad I did not listen to others when they told me I should spend more.

One thing I don't think some people understand is most of the dresses from Kleinfeld's are custom-made for each bride. You go in, try on dresses, pick one, get your measurements taken and they custom make the one you picked, which is why it takes a year or longer to get the dress.

It isn't your off-the-rack experience the majority of us have, where we buy and take home the actual dress we tried on. That's why their prices are what they are. Custom gowns are incredibly expensive.

One thing I don't think some people understand is most of the dresses from Kleinfeld's are custom-made for each bride. You go in, try on dresses, pick one, get your measurements taken and they custom make the one you picked, which is why it takes a year or longer to get the dress.

It isn't your off-the-rack experience the majority of us have, where we buy and take home the actual dress we tried on. That's why their prices are what they are. Custom gowns are incredibly expensive.

Actually that’s typical for every Bridal store I’m familiar with. It’s a store full of samples. Wedding gowns aren’t mass produced because so many would go to waste. They are typically made to order even in the $1-2k range. DD had her appointment in February for a November wedding. Stores like David’s Bridal almost always have some dresses available to purchase and go because they stock so many and are almost always trying to sell off samples.

I don’t think they are custom, every bridal shop I went to didn’t send you home with the gown, they ordered a gown in your size, it took months to come in, and then there were a few fittings. Sometimes there were sales and you could grab and go (Kleinfelds even does this).

My dress was $1500 from pricillas of Boston, very simple, which is what I wanted. Alterations were $50 (to put in little straps to pull back my bra straps. I live that show, but most of the time it’s the bride or her family wanting to try dresses over budget, the consultants try to talk them out of it. The more expensive dresses have more crystals and beadwork, that adds up fast. My daughters’ irish dance costumes were between $2000 - $3000+, handmade by leprechauns, the stones alone were $500+ before put on.
My daughters gown came from Priscillas of Boston. It's was/is gorgeous. DH had a budget set in stone for her dress. Let's just say to this day only three people outside the store clerks know what he spent. So sad they no longer exist. A long history tradition gone in a flash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter