Wow prices: say yes for the dress

Quoted your replies to quoting me. I would reject both of the ideas you said as well. I certainly didn't say them.
No, I didn't think you were advocating those ideas -- you were saying they've become "expectations".
She brought out 10 dresses. 5 of them were $1000, 1 of them had long sleeves and one of them had a high neck like a turtleneck. I told her to take those 7 away because I wouldn’t even be trying them on.
Those are the dress salespeople who give the business a bad name.
Your choice "not to try what you knew you wouldn't buy" just shows good sense.
One thing I don't think some people understand is most of the dresses from Kleinfeld's are custom-made for each bride. You go in, try on dresses, pick one, get your measurements taken and they custom make the one you picked, which is why it takes a year or longer to get the dress.

It isn't your off-the-rack experience the majority of us have, where we buy and take home the actual dress we tried on. That's why their prices are what they are. Custom gowns are incredibly expensive.
I'd call the Kleinfeld thing semi-custom. The dress isn't being designed for them; rather, they're trying one on -- then another is made just for them /in their exact size.

Yes, my own wedding dress came literally "off the rack", but it was a clearance rack -- maybe that's different? I didn't literally carry it home that day -- I had to leave it with the alterations department, but that's kinda splitting hairs. It was mine, and I could have carried it out that day.
My daughter, who was married three years ago, chose a bridesmaid's dress. The one she tried on in the shop was mint green, and she ordered it in white (and in a different size). I'd consider that semi-custom too. She tried on a sample dress, then had that dress "made" per her requirements.
I can understand Kleinfeld charging for an appointment.
They charge for an appointment? How much? Just being nosy.
When my DD17 was looking for a Sweet 16 dress we went to David's Bridal on a whim. I was impressed with the quality of their dresses and their service! Certainly a great option for brides.
I think (but am not 100% sure) that I bought my dress at David's three decades ago. I remember it as a good experience, but certainly not a Kleinfeld moment. My mother, my grandmother and I were crammed into a dressing room, and certainly we weren't drinking champagne. No complaints -- we came away with a dress in only one shopping trip.
My daughter and I made one trip to David's, and it was awful. Maybe our mistake was going at 5:00 on a Friday, but the place was packed and our salesperson -- even though we had an appointment -- didn't have the time of day for us.
I wonder how common it is to buy the first dress you try on?
Not me!
I had looked at bridal magazines, and I knew exactly what I wanted: simple satin, little in the way of embellishment, sweetheart neckline, pouffy sleeves, loooong train. I found it, tried it on, and my grandmother was just offering to buy it for me.
Then my mother pulled a $99 dress from the clearance rack and said, "Just try it". It was everything I didn't want -- pearls on top of sequins on top of lace on top of layers of ruffles with a short train -- but when I put it on, it was my dress. It did have the sweetheart neckline. In retrospect, I had to admit that the shorter train suited my short stature. 30 years later, I still think I had the most beautiful wedding dress ever. Mama knew best that day.
Is it bad that I'm glad to have a son so I don't have to someday deal with wedding dresses?
My sister, who has only one son, says the same thing. On the other hand, I love that I have all girls and I get to do the wedding stuff. I think we all get what we need.
I haven't seen the show, but a couple people have mentioned about this: is it really common for brides to expect their parents to spend thousands of dollars for a wedding dress?? Is that moreso just something on the show or is that common in real life? Wedding costs that I've seen mentioned on the Dis over the years just blow my mind.
I don't think it's all that common in real life. The weddings I've been to lately seem to be more simple than "back in the day" when I got married -- at least in terms of clothing. For example, I've twice seen bridesmaids in nice dresses that look like they could've come from Penny's or Belk. I'm talking about pretty floral dresses, short, definitely something they could wear again.
For many brides the dress is much more than just a "one use piece of clothing." It can be something that contains a great deal of symbolism, religious or otherwise, for both the bride and the groom. It can be an investment for the start of a family tradition. A friend of ours had her dress made by both her grandmothers with very expensive lace and fabric. The hope is that many more women in her family will wear that gown for years to come. This kind of invaluable worth may not be true for all wedding gowns, but for those who believe in it, their gowns, made or bought, are so much more than just dresses.
Thought 1: A bride must balance the idea of "a dress you'll wear once" with "a day you'll remember forever".
Thought 2: The idea of buying a dress that'll be worn for generations just isn't realistic. I never said it to her, but I don't like my mom's wedding dress from the 60s at all. Styles change, and most brides want to make their own choices.
My oldest never even considered my dress; she had a casual outdoor wedding, and a "gown" would've been "too much". She liked my (homemade) veil, but it didn't match the dress she chose (my veil was edged with pearls, and her dress demanded lace).

Thought 2: The idea of buying a dress that'll be worn for generations just isn't realistic. I never said it to her, but I don't like my mom's wedding dress from the 60s at all. Styles change, and most brides want to make their own choices. My oldest never even considered my dress (though I still have it); she had a casual outdoor wedding, and a "gown" would've been "too much". She liked my veil, but it didn't match the dress she chose (my veil was edged with pearls, and her dress demanded lace).
As I posted, the thought isn't for every bride, but the sentiment is powerful for those who hold on to it. In our church, wedding gowns get loaned/borrowed often by brides who can't afford even to rent a dress. The love that goes with the loan of each gown makes the dress more special to each bride wearing it. So it can be worn by women in my family or women in my church family. This tradition works for us because we tend to choose very classic, modest styles. But, of course, it's not everyone's tradition. My own mother had to borrow her wedding dress. So it mattered a great deal to her that my sister and I had our own dresses to start our own traditions. And I totally agree with you that in choosing my gown, mama really did know best! (How do they do it?!)

No, I didn't think you were advocating those ideas -- you were saying they've become "expectations".
Those are the dress salespeople who give the business a bad name.
Your choice "not to try what you knew you wouldn't buy" just shows good sense.
I'd call the Kleinfeld thing semi-custom. The dress isn't being designed for them; rather, they're trying one on -- then another is made just for them /in their exact size.

Yes, my own wedding dress came literally "off the rack", but it was a clearance rack -- maybe that's different? I didn't literally carry it home that day -- I had to leave it with the alterations department, but that's kinda splitting hairs. It was mine, and I could have carried it out that day.
My daughter, who was married three years ago, chose a bridesmaid's dress. The one she tried on in the shop was mint green, and she ordered it in white (and in a different size). I'd consider that semi-custom too. She tried on a sample dress, then had that dress "made" per her requirements.
They charge for an appointment? How much? Just being nosy.
I think (but am not 100% sure) that I bought my dress at David's three decades ago. I remember it as a good experience, but certainly not a Kleinfeld moment. My mother, my grandmother and I were crammed into a dressing room, and certainly we weren't drinking champagne. No complaints -- we came away with a dress in only one shopping trip.
My daughter and I made one trip to David's, and it was awful. Maybe our mistake was going at 5:00 on a Friday, but the place was packed and our salesperson -- even though we had an appointment -- didn't have the time of day for us.
Not me!
I had looked at bridal magazines, and I knew exactly what I wanted: simple satin, little in the way of embellishment, sweetheart neckline, pouffy sleeves, loooong train. I found it, tried it on, and my grandmother was just offering to buy it for me.
Then my mother pulled a $99 dress from the clearance rack and said, "Just try it". It was everything I didn't want -- pearls on top of sequins on top of lace on top of layers of ruffles with a short train -- but when I put it on, it was my dress. It did have the sweetheart neckline. In retrospect, I had to admit that the shorter train suited my short stature. 30 years later, I still think I had the most beautiful wedding dress ever. Mama knew best that day.
My sister, who has only one son, says the same thing. On the other hand, I love that I have all girls and I get to do the wedding stuff. I think we all get what we need.
I don't think it's all that common in real life. The weddings I've been to lately seem to be more simple than "back in the day" when I got married -- at least in terms of clothing. For example, I've twice seen bridesmaids in nice dresses that look like they could've come from Penny's or Belk. I'm talking about pretty floral dresses, short, definitely something they could wear again.
Thought 1: A bride must balance the idea of "a dress you'll wear once" with "a day you'll remember forever".
Thought 2: The idea of buying a dress that'll be worn for generations just isn't realistic. I never said it to her, but I don't like my mom's wedding dress from the 60s at all. Styles change, and most brides want to make their own choices.
My oldest never even considered my dress; she had a casual outdoor wedding, and a "gown" would've been "too much". She liked my (homemade) veil, but it didn't match the dress she chose (my veil was edged with pearls, and her dress demanded lace).
How it works is you try on a sample gown, then you get measured, and then a size is ordered for you, the dress in that size gets shipped to the store, and the bride goes for a fitting, and then the dress is altered to fit the bride. Living in the NYC metro area, most brides will spend a lot on the wedding dress. I’ve never been to a bridal store where you have the option to take it with you. I still remember when our local Vera Wang bridal store closed, so many women got their dresses there, I assumed I would, as well. My daughter got her prom dress here https://www.castlecouturenj.com/ and it was carry out, but I believe the bridal side is order and alter.

Last edited:
popcorn:: Tell us about it...all about it. Seriously, I've watched so many episodes of that show over the years I feel like I've been there but I'd love to hear a first-hand account.

It was memorable mostly because of the people I was with, just some silly times when we were all young. I remember that when we exited the highway there was a handwritten sign on the toll booth saying how to get to Kleinfeld because you know they were sick of people asking! We were herded into a large, yet not large enough, dressing room and clothes and bridesmaid dresses just started flying. Champagne wasn’t provided by the shop, but snuck in by one of my fellow bridesmaids. She brought those little plastic champagne glasses too. Classy! It was just a good time all around. Back in the mid-90s if you were getting married in NYC it was just what you did. Had to make at least that one trip to Kleinhell in Brooklyn!

I got married an hour outside of NYC and I wore my mother’s wedding dress. It needed a frighteningly small amount of alteration – it was almost like it was custom made for me. A small bow at the waist that looked just a little too 1960s for me was removed. I loved that dress! We recreated a photo of my mom in the dress on her wedding day where it was billowed out and all the bridesmaid’s bouquets are lined up at the edges. They are now framed together and it looks fantastic. I only have sons so I guess it will just continue to hang in its bag. That’s also why the Kleinfeld trip was so fun, I never even went into a bridal store to try on dresses!

That show drive me nuts, but I'm a cheapskate. I can't see spending more than the downpayment on our first house on a one time dress.
Now that you mention it, a lot of those dresses cost more than the house I grew up in.
I got mine for $17 at the JC Penny outlet.
I had forgotten about the catalog outlets! I wasn't looking for a wedding gown way back when there was one nearby, but I remember they were cheap! Not cheaply made, just bargains!

I tried on the remaining 3, bought the one that I loved which was $400, got a veil that I loved that was $75 and was out the door for under $500. Im not a high heel person so I went to my local Macy’s and bought a cute pair of white flats with a little bow on them on sale for about $25. There was no way in God’s green earth I was going to pay thousands of dollars for a dress that is be wearing one time.

You sound like me. I got married in 2008 and bought my dress for $299 off the rack at Bridal Warehouse - it was "as is" because the zipper was broken. My aunt is a fantastic seamstress, so she fixed the zipper and did the alterations on it. I wore my mom's veil that she had saved from 1970 and bought a pair of $15 silver beaded sandals from Target.

I can understand Kleinfeld charging for an appointment. I'm sure they'd get a lot of people wasting their time with no intention of buying. Like me when my daughter is shopping one day! ;)

I made my own gown and love that it's packed away in the attic and I got to show it to my daughter recently. That said, I look forward to shopping with her for hers one day. Probably not Kleinfeld though. :lmao:

I googled and they don’t actually charge. You have to leave a credit card and they will charge it $100 if you don’t show up. But no charge for the appt

Same for me in 1974. That was a sit down dinner for 200 people, band, booze, flowers, and pictures. Times have changed.
Lol, mine was about 100 people for sit down dinner in 2000, no dj and no bar. My dress and dresses for 6 bridesmaids, pictures, church, flowers, photographer and dinner all for $3,000! Divorce is really darn expensive by comparison!

It might not be quite the vibe that a bride is going for but I noticed in Michael’s the other day there are DIY craft kits for veils/headpieces and sparkly belts in the wedding section. :thumbsup2
Wedding veils are incredibly easy to make. I am not super crafty, and I made a fair number for a play in high school. For not much money, you can make a pretty and expensive looking veil.

Wedding veils are incredibly easy to make. I am not super crafty, and I made a fair number for a play in high school. For not much money, you can make a pretty and expensive looking veil.
I made my veil. It really was pretty simple. I covered the Juliet cap portion with the lace I used on the dress.

My dress was $800 in 1999 at a local, independent salon. That price included a veil (which they had to remake because my dress wasn't a traditional color, but "buttered rum" which is pinkish in person, but photographs more cream). When the dress arrived, the store called in a panic because the material didn't match throughout the dress; there were obviously different bolts of fabric used and they had very different weave patterns. The dress was sent back, which caused them to panic about the veil (the plan was to use part of the excess material for the veil headpiece). The corrected dress arrived, the store did alterations and everything was good. I lost about 10 more pounds after the final alteration, so the dress was very loose, but the seamstress did am amazing job with the alternations that were needed (we had her rework how the gown bustled, and had the big bow on the back removed, because who wants a huge bow on their butt?). I'm glad we went with them, but the store didn't make it and closed about 2 years after I ordered my dress. One of my best friends did have the joyful experience of the bridal store closing between the time she ordered her dress and when she was to pick it up. That's a whole other story.

One of my best friends did have the joyful experience of the bridal store closing between the time she ordered her dress and when she was to pick it up. That's a whole other story.
Something a little like that happened on SYttD a bit ago, but had likely a much better outcome. Bride orders one of Randy's gowns from a bridal shop in Arizona. Store goes out of business before she can get the dress. Bride decides to visit Kleinfeld in New York. Randy brings in her gown. It hadn't been sent get when the store closed.

Something a little like that happened on SYttD a bit ago, but had likely a much better outcome. Bride orders one of Randy's gowns from a bridal shop in Arizona. Store goes out of business before she can get the dress. Bride decides to visit Kleinfeld in New York. Randy brings in her gown. It hadn't been sent get when the store closed.
I remember that episode, Randy seems so sweet to do all of that. I'm glad they could find her actual dress.

I used to enjoy watching SYTTD, but it's been a while since I tuned in. I got tired of the tacky Pnina hooker bride dresses they seemed to push on everyone that were $20,000+. I got to the point I would record and skip through the BS and only look at the dresses. I get tired of the same "manufactured drama/problems" every episode - princesses with their "my daddy buys me whatever I want" so I have no budget, having a smaller budget, but always trying on a dress that is twice that amount and then deciding that is the dress they MUST have, the brides with the outspoken entourage, the missing dress, etc. It's all fake.

I used to enjoy watching SYTTD, but it's been a while since I tuned in. I got tired of the tacky Pnina hooker bride dresses they seemed to push on everyone that were $20,000+. I got to the point I would record and skip through the BS and only look at the dresses. I get tired of the same "manufactured drama/problems" every episode - princesses with their "my daddy buys me whatever I want" so I have no budget, having a smaller budget, but always trying on a dress that is twice that amount and then deciding that is the dress they MUST have, the brides with the outspoken entourage, the missing dress, etc. It's all fake.
Yes to all of this. That one hideous Pina dress tbey all wanted. awful. I stopped watching because jr was the same thing over an over again.

Yuck, I hate that Pnina bedazzled lingerie dress too. I think that dress costs close to $20,000 without alterations, veil, etc. We spent $20,000 on our daughter's whole wedding, although we were intending to spend $15,000 originally. We spent more than we intended on the flowers (and they were completely gorgeous) and invited more guests than were originally planned for but I don't regret anything about the money we spent. Our daughter and son-in-law told us their wedding was perfect and a dream come true. It really was a ton of work but it was beautiful!

I just saw the trailer for the next season and some bride says she wants a "naked dress" and to shock all her guests. I bet it'll cost over $10k for something so sheer too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter