Wow! Chapek is out!

Here is Bob Iger's entire message to Disney CM's tonight:

"Dear Fellow Employees and Cast Members,

It is with an incredible sense of gratitude and humility—and, I must admit, a bit of amazement—that I write to you this evening with the news that I am returning to The Walt Disney Company as Chief Executive Officer.

When I look at the creative success of our teams across our Studios, Disney General Entertainment, ESPN and International, the rapid growth of our streaming services, the phenomenal reimagining and rebound of our Parks, the continued great work of ABC News, and so many other achievements across our businesses, I am in awe of your accomplishments and I am excited to embark with you on many new endeavors.

I know this company has asked so much of you during the past three years, and these times certainly remain quite challenging, but as you have heard me say before, I am an optimist, and if I learned one thing from my years at Disney, it is that even in the face of uncertainty—perhaps especially in the face of uncertainty—our employees and Cast Members achieve the impossible.

You will be hearing more from me and your leaders tomorrow and in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, allow me to express my deep gratitude for all that you do. Disney holds a special place in the hearts of people around the globe thanks to you, and your dedication to this company and its mission to bring joy to people through great storytelling is an inspiration to me every single day.

Bob Iger"

A lot of people complained about Iger and after Chapek came in, things got even worse.
It seems like they want Iger to train someone to properly take over as CEO in 2 years. A lot of things with the company may have been set in motion by Iger but perhaps he's seen who bad everything got with Chapek and adjust accordingly.

With the state of the parks post covid, I spent my AP & trip money on a puppy I named Tinker.
She's in the pic below.

And have been spending money on her since I quit going to DLR.
Well, that might have to change if I see positive change to the parks.

Tinker's bonus treats and toys maybe getting scaled back a little.

Not planning a trip just yet..... But it might turn into a possibility if I see improvement to the parks.

1669008062823.png

Bye Bob. Welcome back Bob.

Since Christmas is coming, here is my wish list:

1. Maintenance, failure mode analysis, personnel and upgrades to make all attractions more reliable. It doesn't yield immediate profits, but will pay great dividends in the long term.
2. I don't expect a return to fastpass/maxpass of old (though I do wish for that)...but get rid of ILL$ at least rework G+so that it doesn't feel like a full time job managing my day.
3. Lose the park reservation system, except perhaps for days where capacity is traditionally actually reached.
4. Lose the 1pm hopping restriction (I really like the idea of making it all one park, but I'm not sure if that is feasible.)
5. Empower cast members again/more to make magic for guests, and train them to do so especially when things go wrong.
6. Somehow make me want to spend my money at DLR again. I vowed not to return as long as current management remained. Kindle my hope that DLR can be magical for me again.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Good! About time. Now put Christine McCarthy and Josh D’Amaro out to pasture. Two more that‘s not getting it. Time to clean house.
Chapek was about to do that, which is probably why Iger was brought back. To save whoever was about to be let go.

Imagine you are barely on Twitter because you don’t want to take away from the experience of watching the Walking Dead series finale. You go on to tweet because something happened halfway through and the first tweet you see is Scott’s and you have to make sure it’s him meanwhile you’re already an emotional mess.

This was not in my 2022 bingo card at all but I’m happy he’s back. Just was a very chaotic way to find out on my end 😂

Wow, what a surprise! When I first read about it I thought I was seeing things lol. I hope for some changes that will help the park experience for everyone. If nothing else, removing the 1:00 hopping time. The main thing is for rides to be consistently up & running, and it would be great if something could be done to make Genie+ feel more like a perk than a necessity. I have no idea what that would be, though.

You can take Mr. Lincoln over my dead body. The message in that show is needed now more than ever. I don’t know how to drive more people to it but they need to.
What would be great is if they moved the exhibit to Boardwalk or Disney Springs. Let people experience it for free and it will get more traffic - meanwhile the park can get a much needed people eater.

That's honestly not a bad idea, put him in Downtown or something were he can actually be enjoyed. Probably hopeful thinking cause nostalgia would make lots of folks riot if Disney moved him an inch haha.

Lincoln is in Anaheim, we aren’t letting you move him to WDW, he is ours. ☺️

WDW has one anyway, he's just part of The American Adventure show at Epcot. He also speaks in THe Hall of Presidents I believe, though that show changes with every new president.

As much as I think this is a positive development, let’s not get too carried away into thinking Iger will fix all our peeves. He was brought back because of the financials, and streaming was where the problem was at. I expect him to be focusing mostly on righting that ship. The Parks are bringing in good revenue and the parks are packed to the breams. Imagine Iger coming in: We will get rid of Genie+ and all the revenue from that, lower prices of food and the revenue, spend more by hiring more cast members, remove reservations and pack the Park even more and turn people away at the door, etc. I just don’t see it.

When people say “bring the Magic back”, many people are thinking of paying less, have less crowd, and improved experience. The first two can only happen if Disney Parks are less popular, which is not happening, but that last one may be the one thing Iger can make an impact. I can see Iger tweaking some little things such as hiring more maintenance crew to keep rides up longer, and minor tweaks to experiences, and make sure parks are clean. New Disneyland projects were pursued even under Chapek, and with a 2 year contract, I’m not sure he’s going to rock the boat there either.

Hope I’m pleasantly surprised, though, just like the Iger announcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter