Wow! Chapek is out!

remember Iger chose Chapek.
His last few years were not great.

Instant change to get people on his side...
#1 Remove park reservations
#2 But doubt it will happen is bring back Fastpass
# 3 Will NEVER happen cancel Splash Mountain redo, and build a new Tiana ride.
Iger did not come back to help the parks, he came back to help streaming. I highly doubt that he's going to remove anything that is already in place at the parks.
Iger was the one who came up with the whole genie thing that everyone seems to hate in the park so i don't see that changing either.
I do hope that they can do more park maintenance.

Iger did not come back to help the parks, he came back to help streaming. I highly doubt that he's going to remove anything that is already in place at the parks.
Iger was the one who came up with the whole genie thing that everyone seems to hate in the park so i don't see that changing either.
I do hope that they can do more park maintenance.
Though there's no denying how the parks and content have supported each other since the day Disneyland opened. The experience from a single magical experience can make someone a lifelong fan of a particular IP. I've been a star wars fan since I was a toddler, so I take my family to Batuu. My wife then had an incredible experience and though was never really a fan before is a very loyal star wars fan now. More than that she's a brand advocate.

As much as any CEO, Bob Iger understood this. He won't ignore the parks.

Though there's no denying how the parks and content have supported each other since the day Disneyland opened. The experience from a single magical experience can make someone a lifelong fan of a particular IP. I've been a star wars fan since I was a toddler, so I take my family to Batuu. My wife then had an incredible experience and though was never really a fan before is a very loyal star wars fan now. More than that she's a brand advocate.

As much as any CEO, Bob Iger understood this. He won't ignore the parks.
I didn’t say he was going to ignore the parks I said his focus will be on streaming and that is why they brought him back was because they lost a lot of money for disney+ so he’s here for that and will look at the parks but the parks seem to be making good money right now.

I didn’t say he was going to ignore the parks I said his focus will be on streaming and that is why they brought him back was because they lost a lot of money for disney+ so he’s here for that and will look at the parks but the parks seem to be making good money right now.
Then let me clarify: he will not ignore the customer dissatisfaction, as he understands the connection between the park experience of the millions of people who visit and the financial success of Disney's content.

Then let me clarify: he will not ignore the customer dissatisfaction, as he understands the connection between the park experience of the millions of people who visit and the financial success of Disney's content.
Ok and the customers who are dissatisfied keep coming back or if they leave someone replaces them cause the demand to go to Disney is still sky high. There hasn’t been much loss in the parks department.

Part of the magical experience many come away with from visiting the Parks is the Cast Member & Character interactions. Do the current CMs view the Bob I. as a more inspiring leader? If so, this may help the overall Park experience. There was so much internal strife that occurred over the past year, the dissatisfaction among CMs and employees had to have trickled down to even the newest hires.

I agree. The parks punch above their (revenue) weight in the public perception of The Walt Disney Company. And as you pointed out earlier, they can drive demand for Disney's other products. If too many people get turned off to visiting the parks, that will have a long-term effect on the company's health. Simply looking at current park revenues (as Chapek was apparently doing) doesn't tell the whole story of how important the Disney parks are to the company's future.

Encouraging comments from Iger in a note today to Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution employees (boldfacing mine):

"I’ve asked Dana Walden, Alan Bergman, Jimmy Pitaro, and Christine McCarthy to work together on the design of a new structure that puts more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs, and this will necessitate a reorganization of Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution. As a result, Kareem Daniel will be leaving the company, and I hope you will all join me in thanking him for his many years of service to Disney.

Our goal is to have the new structure in place in the coming months. Without question, elements of DMED will remain, but I fundamentally believe that storytelling is what fuels this company, and it belongs at the center of how we organize our businesses."

Encouraging comments from Iger in a note today to Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution employees (boldfacing mine):

"I’ve asked Dana Walden, Alan Bergman, Jimmy Pitaro, and Christine McCarthy to work together on the design of a new structure that puts more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs, and this will necessitate a reorganization of Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution. As a result, Kareem Daniel will be leaving the company, and I hope you will all join me in thanking him for his many years of service to Disney.

Our goal is to have the new structure in place in the coming months. Without question, elements of DMED will remain, but I fundamentally believe that storytelling is what fuels this company, and it belongs at the center of how we organize our businesses."
This, combined with the email he sent employees/CMs last night, further cement what I perceive as the biggest difference between the Bobs: Iger "gets it." He understands a) why people care about Disney as a brand and b) how to be a boss that people want to work for. A person can be both of those things and care about the bottom line, making relatively smart choices about when and how to spend money. Even though he was clearly brought back to serve Disney's financial situation, throughout his tenure he showed himself to be a person who understands that you have to spend money to make money. I didn't agree with every decision he made about the parks, and I don't think I would agree with every decision from any CEO ever. But his statements just since yesterday (and his previous actions, especially places like DCA) are reflective of a leader who understands the importance of the brand. I find that encouraging.

This, combined with the email he sent employees/CMs last night, further cement what I perceive as the biggest difference between the Bobs: Iger "gets it." He understands a) why people care about Disney as a brand and b) how to be a boss that people want to work for. A person can be both of those things and care about the bottom line, making relatively smart choices about when and how to spend money. Even though he was clearly brought back to serve Disney's financial situation, throughout his tenure he showed himself to be a person who understands that you have to spend money to make money. I didn't agree with every decision he made about the parks, and I don't think I would agree with every decision from any CEO ever. But his statements just since yesterday (and his previous actions, especially places like DCA) are reflective of a leader who understands the importance of the brand. I find that encouraging.
Agreed. As a 15+ year paasholder , we used to go at least twice a month and spend, shop and eat. With chapeck, we've gone twice in just about a year. It didn't feel the same. I just didn't want to give Disney my money. I'm looking forward to Igers changes. I'm happy to spend. But, don't make me feel like a chump. Paycheck wanted my paycheck, but preferred me not to be in the parks. The iger years, we couldn't wait to go back.

Agreed. As a 15+ year paasholder , we used to go at least twice a month and spend, shop and eat. With chairs, we've gone twice in just about a year. It didn't feel the same. I just didn't want to give Disney my money. I'm looking forward to Igers changes. I'm happy to spend. But, don't make me feel like a chump. Paycheck wanted my paycheck, but preferred me not to be in the parks. The iger years, we couldn't wait to go back.

Agreed. As a 15+ year paasholder , we used to go at least twice a month and spend, shop and eat. With chapecks, we've gone twice in just about a year. It didn't feel the same. I just didn't want to give Disney my money. I'm looking forward to Igers changes. I'm happy to spend. But, don't make me feel like a chump. Paycheck wanted my paycheck, but preferred me not to be in the parks. The iger years, we couldn't wait to go back.

In terms of the park-while Genie plus was Iger’s idea and I don’t see that going away, I foresee some changes, for example park hopping coming back to normal, more DVC incentives, projects being completed at lightning speed (while Tron started while he was there I don’t think he wanted it to take this long).

And the fact the CFO and Susan Arnold led the charge so to speak tells us everything we need to know.

I also guarantee besides the announced layoffs, the animation viewer comment was the last straw. They know people love animation-adults and kids.

Iger understood the Disney company had many facets. He might not be able to do everything but he will start getting stuff back on track.

I do wonder what this means for things announced during D23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter