• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you buy a chevy?

I would never buy a Chevy or get in one. My dad worked for GM and they put him in one of their 'fabulous cars' on a business trip and it did not work right and my dad was in a serious car accident. It turns out that GM would rather pay off families than recall cars because it is cheaper to let people die.

I certainly hope no one goes off on a rant on my post because I know from experience that GM is the least concerned with safety out of all the car companies and they are just an awful company.

My dad ended up in a coma for five years and GM fought with my mom for five years as she struggled to make ends meet, visiting my dad every single day in the hospital, with six kids to support and the eldest being mentally disabled. My dad remained in a coma over five years before dying.

So from this DISer, I would not recommend the Chevy...

My sway bar problem was 100% that I live on a dirt road that's often got pits and holes big enough to swallow small dogs, and I'm not always careful driving down it. Or at least I wasn't before this. :P

I just think that maybe people have different expectations. I've lived on a road like that and I would have been surprised and disappointed if my car was damaged from driving on it. It reminds me of something I read on a different forum from a woman who said her GM (Envoy, I think?) was a great car because she'd only had one repair that wasn't covered by the warranty (I believe the power windows stopped working). And I thought, "That's great? Seriously? What are you accustomed to?" Because at the time, my car was the same age as hers and hadn't been in the shop once, and yet she was bragging on a car with multiple issues.

It think it's sort of silly not to buy a car from a brand because of:

1. Individual experiences with single cars. Every model has dud cars. My Toyota Corolla was in the shop for a month for transmission problems. It was really an awful car. I don't buy Toyotas, but not because of that.

2. One model of car in a brand has problems and it's not even the one you are considering. Every model is different. You need to compare apples to apples.

It's really best to look at independent reviews of the specific cars you like and then review comments in the Edmunds forums to see trends.

I love my Equinox and I loved the Impala I just sold after 10 years. But, I didn't buy my Equinox because its a Chevy--I looked at a lot of cars before spending my hard-earned money.

Add me to the big no vote.

I grew up owning Cavaliers, I never had one last more than 110K without major problems, the newest one became a money pit.
My wife owned a Beretta when I met her and it lost the transmission at 103K.

I just had to quote you as I have owned both a Beretta and am on my second Cavalier.:rotfl:

I want to ask, how many years did you have those cars? I don't drive very far to work, so my 2003 Cavalier, which I purchased new (thank you GM Family Discount) only has around 40,000 miles on it. And so far my main problem has been brakes (which is probably at least partially my fault) and now the driver side window goes down, but only goes back up when it feels like it.

But I have to admitt that when I am in the market for a new car, I am really liking the looks of an Outback.:drive:

It think it's sort of silly not to buy a car from a brand because of:

1. Individual experiences with single cars. Every model has dud cars. My Toyota Corolla was in the shop for a month for transmission problems. It was really an awful car. I don't buy Toyotas, but not because of that.

That's a good point. While I personally have had really good luck with Hondas, my buying decision is based on long-term data from many consumers, not just my own personal experience.

We currently have 3 GM vehicles. 2008 Saturn Vue hybrid, 2008 Chevy Malibu and 2002 Chevy Suburban (over 140,000 miles!). All are great -- only one problem with the suburban and we needed a new sensor, but it was over 100,000 miles at the time. No biggie!!

I would have no problem going with Chevy!

I've had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt (the precursor to the Cruze) for two years (bought it when it was about 18 months old) and I only recently had to do any kind of service on it (the front sway bars). So in 2 years other than oil changes I've only spent $250 on service on it. (It has about 47k miles on it right now.)

When my husband starts car shopping soon I've been encouraging him to look at the Cruze.

We also have a 2006 Cobalt. We've had the brakes done. That's it. I've been very happy with this car and even happier with it's gas mileage now that the prices are so high!

Just traded an 2006 Chevy car for a Hyundai. Lot of engine problems with the Chevy. Had the engine head replaced twice on warrenty and when it came time for the third replacement (off warrenty) I dumped the Chevy.

My wife had a 2004 Cadillac (another GM car) for 7 years and I knew all the service writers and mechanics by first name I took it in there so much. She switched to a Hyundai before I did.

I just had to quote you as I have owned both a Beretta and am on my second Cavalier.:rotfl:

I want to ask, how many years did you have those cars? I don't drive very far to work, so my 2003 Cavalier, which I purchased new (thank you GM Family Discount) only has around 40,000 miles on it. And so far my main problem has been brakes (which is probably at least partially my fault) and now the driver side window goes down, but only goes back up when it feels like it.

But I have to admitt that when I am in the market for a new car, I am really liking the looks of an Outback.:drive:

Each of the vehicles lasted 3-4 years.
My Saturn SL lasted 9, Vue #1 was 5, Vue #2 is 3+

My very first car was a used 1981 Chevy Malibu. I racked over 100,000 miles on that car. The only reason I got rid of it was that the interior was falling apart. The engine was still going strong.

DH's first car was a used 1986 Chevy Celebrity. Again, the only reason we got rid of it was that the interior was falling apart and the outside was starting to rust. He racked over 100,000 miles on that car.

Our next car was a 1998 Chevy Cavalier which we still have. I have just a little over 88,000 miles on the car. The only costs we've incurred is routine maintenance - tires, brakes, etc.

We recently got rid of a 2003 Chevy Tracker. It was just shy of 60,000 miles, and the water pump started leaking - which is a very expensive repair. We were pretty disappointed, primarily b/c all of our other Chevy cars have really lasted and required very little upkeep/work on them. We replaced it with a Toyota RAV4, mainly b/c we just liked it better when we were test driving/checking out cars.

As to the original question, I wouldn't have a problem buying Chevy again. We are considering replacing the Cavalier when it goes with the Cruze. The Cruze appears to be an impressive car from the commercials. Good luck with your decision, op!

i wouldn't hesitate to buy a chevrolet, or any GM vehicle, for that matter. DH's 1986 chevrolet S-10 finally died about 2 years ago, with over 300,000 miles on it, and my GMC jimmy has over 216,000 miles on it, and still going.

Yup, us too! :cool1: Oldest DS is driving dh's 1995 Jimmy that's coming up on 300k miles. I drive a 1997 Cavalier, which gets good mileage (it's my commuter car) and a 1998 Chevy Astrovan (for family hauling). And we've got a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans-am that is mostly restored, registered and running.

My dh does much of any work on our cars-all of which we bought used. He feels that Chevy/GM's are the easiest to work on and you don't need all those 'funny' tools (as he calls it). Also, parts are easily available. Our insurance rates are good also. You might want to call around and ask about insurance rates for the cars you are looking at, in case there are differences.

I like the Cruze-I would choose that for myself if I was buying a new commuting car. I also like the Traverse :lovestruc and I'm saving up for one someday.

I have had my Chevy Cruze for a month and I absolutely love it. I went from an Expedition to the Cruze, so it has been quite a change, but so far so good. The ride is smooth and the gas mileage is great. I owned the Expedition and the money I am saving on gas is making my car payment now. I say definitely test drive one!

I wouldn't buy a chevy because of the extensive list of people I know that have had major problems with them. Even people I know that claim to love them and have no issues with them, if prompted, will start listing "issues" they have had that have been under warranty that they don't seem to consider as being a problem.

I tell them that I had a Toyota Sienna minivan for 5 years and ONLY ever changed the oil. They look at me like they don't believe me. :confused3

I got my husband hooked on Toyotas and Nissans too. No issues with any of the cars we have owned in the last 16 years.

I think some people that own American cars (my neighbors are examples of this) think it's normal for stuff under warranty to just go bad and they don't consider that to be a problem with the cars. These people will actually tell you that their cars are "great cars." Their 3 American cars all have had things stop working in them...mostly annoying things like batteries, air conditioning, power windows, etc. Even some major stuff like engine things, but because its all under warranty, it's like it's no big deal to them. That would drive me totally crazy.

I would read consumer reports before I'd buy a chevy or any American car. I have been reading really good things about Fords recently. My sister in law's parents were die-hard Honda lovers and they just bought a Ford Edge and love it. It got good reviews too. Have you considered Ford?

DH is on his third Chevy. He has previously owned a used Silverado and a used Blazer. A year and a half ago he bought a new Avalanche. He loves his Avalanche and I think it is a very comfortable ride. He had normal maintenance issues with his Silverado and Blazer; he has not put a dime into his Avalanche for anything other than gas (which is a pretty penny, mind you!) and oil changes. Me? I own a Toyota Camry.

I'd buy their truck or the corvette. I don't think I'd buy anything else from their line.

Dh just bought a new Silverado Work Truck last year. We got a great deal and he is thrilled with it!!

The trucks have really good reputations and it rides well.

What's the gas mileage for the Cruze. Chevy's like gas that's why I try to bypass them at the rental counter.

I love Chevy's...I don't currently have one but they are my car of choice. I hope to get a new Chevy sometime in the next 5 years. :)

Absolutely!! The truth is you will always find people that will object to any car company for whatever reason. Any car can have problems. I am ashamed to say that my parents owned a Kia and it was the worst car ever, they ended up basically having to junk it after only like two years.

As a Metro-Detroiter, I have to say~ please buy domestic, support the American economy!

Personally DH and will only buy Hondas, Toyotas or Subarus. We just feel the quality and reliability are far superior to American manufacturers. We keep our cars so it's important for us to go with ones that require minimal service and have very few problems. We just traded our 15 yo Honda for a Subaru and will likely keep the new car for at least 10 years.

Yes! We are a chevy family. We think they are great cars. I want to get a cruze so bad, but am going to keep driving my cavalier for now. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter