Would This Offend You?

Or gals who who had several kids removed from he custody and make it with 14 year olds. I actually agree with you.

As YOU said she should have asked. The point many of us have been making.

Ginny common, leave Pluto alone, he is a kid himself on DisneyBoards looking for a way to express his feelings, don't attack him and make him feel unwelcome.

My daughter and I attended the Perfectly Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian last trip. When it was over we were walking from the upstairs gift shop to the monorail and a nice gentleman offered my daughter one of the clear balloons with the pink Mickey balloon inside. He asked me if it was okay as they were going home that day and I said yes, thank you! My daughter was thrilled as we had said no to balloons this trip...too expensive with three kiddos. Her older brother was jealous and I had to explain to him it was a gift. He had spent the day with dad at Universal so I told him he should be grateful for that.

I'm all for random acts of kindness and especially in a place as magical as Disney.

I agree that was really sweet, but that is a totally different situation than what the OP described. Would you have felt the same way if he had bought your daughter a balloon after hearing you specifically tell her that she couldn't have one?

.............a nice gentleman offered my daughter one of the clear balloons with the pink Mickey balloon inside. He asked me if it was okay as they were going home that day and I said yes, thank you! My daughter was thrilled ..........I'm all for random acts of kindness and especially in a place as magical as Disney.

We did that on every trip. We get a balloon (or two) on our 1st day and keep it in our room. Then on checkout morning, I let DS pick another child in the lobby checking in... to give it away to. He knows we can't take it on the plane and he really enjoys giving the balloon away. Those balloons last forever! After 8-9 days, it was still fully up in the air.....

Actually, I later learned.... I think... balloons can be taken on the plane... but I already have enough to carry and it's a tradition now.

We did that on every trip. We get a balloon (or two) on our 1st day and keep it in our room. Then on checkout morning, I let DS pick another child in the lobby checking in... to give it away to. He knows we can't take it on the plane and he really enjoys giving the balloon away. Those balloons last forever! After 8-9 days, it was still fully up in the air.....

Actually, I later learned.... I think... balloons can be taken on the plane... but I already have enough to carry and it's a tradition now.

I like this idea a lot, have the boys give it away to other kids before they leave. They can find 2 little girlfriends before they leave.

I would have appreciated the kind gesture, but probably would have declined as I would not have wanted to carry a balloon around all day long. Then, the more I thought about it, I would have been annoyed at someone undermining my decision as a parent (gaurdian).

Or gals who who had several kids removed from he custody and make it with 14 year olds. I actually agree with you.

As YOU said she should have asked. The point many of us have been making.

I'm sorry but that's just aweful. You've been really mean to plutoplanet. He's just a kid...a kid who seems to have really stepped up to some huge responsibilities. Shame on you for attacking an adolescent the way you have.

w/o reading the whole thread...

I would be annoyed not offended. I don't like balloons. My kids know this. It's one of the very few things I'm crazy strict about. But I wouldn't say anything to the giver. No need to ruin their nice gesture.

Wow... I had no idea this would be so controversial! I would like to thank everybody for their honesty. I really do appreciate it. I feel like I've let everyone have their say but I would like to clarify just a couple of points.
**** Firstly, we weren't "spying" or "evesdropping". We sat down on the curb on Main St. to wait for the parade about 1hr 20 min prior. Soon after Grma and her GD asked if they could sit next to us and wait to (making sure we weren't saving a seat). During that hour we were chatting together... talking about our trip and things we recommend... talking about stuff they wanted to do... resorts we were stayng at. All that kind of stuff. (Also, the way you're packed in at some of these things, or even in line, it isn't hard to overhear a conversation without "spying").
**** Secondly, my DH did not "creepily" lure away a young girl to get a balloon. The CM carrying the giant, "UP" sized balloon display walks by every 10-15 min. The girl never went off with my DH. What already happened, happened. And it turned out great. Grma was very appreciative and after the parade "Mom and Dad" showed up and they were also nice and funny and had no problem with us, but appreciated us doing something nice for their child (and no, I'm not bragging... just clarifiying). At the end of the parade there were literally hugs all around. It was great. We were leaving the next day, or we might have tried to catch up with them again! It all worked out.
**** Thirdly, I think many of you missed the point of my OP. My original question (using that story as background) was, in essence, how could we do something nice for someone again on our upcoming trip? Instead, it seems like the background story has been beaten to death. Not only that, but it seems to have become a good excuse for meaness... and not just to me, but to each other. That really makes me sad. You know, I joined DISboards because I'm so excited about our trip and I have always loved Disney. I thought this was a great way to share that kind of excitement and appreciation for all things Disney. I just joined recently and quickly became addicted! But now... I feel like meaness and spitefulness can pervade even this. I really don't understand the backbiting and cattyness. I really don't. I simply asked how to make some extra magic for someone and suddenly people are going on and on about balloons and glitter, and (some people) being really mean to each other in the process! It is such a shame. Disney is all about magic and kindness, love and mutual respect. That isn't what happened here. What a very sad shame. I feel as if my balloon has been popped. Although, I would like to thank all the people who sent me PMs with words of kindness and support. So, now I've had my say and I'm walking away from this thread with some very useful information and perceptions. Whether, I walk away from the forums altogther, I haven't decided yet. Thank You all for your opinions.

**** Thirdly, I think many of you missed the point of my OP. My original question (using that story as background) was, in essence, how could we do something nice for someone again on our upcoming trip? Instead, it seems like the background story has been beaten to death. Not only that, but it seems to have become a good excuse for meaness... and not just to me, but to each other. That really makes me sad. You know, I joined DISboards because I'm so excited about our trip and I have always loved Disney. I thought this was a great way to share that kind of excitement and appreciation for all things Disney. I just joined recently and quickly became addicted! But now... I feel like meaness and spitefulness can pervade even this. I really don't understand the backbiting and cattyness. I really don't. I simply asked how to make some extra magic for someone and suddenly people are going on and on about balloons and glitter, and (some people) being really mean to each other in the process! It is such a shame. Disney is all about magic and kindness, love and mutual respect. That isn't what happened here. What a very sad shame. I feel as if my balloon has been popped. Although, I would like to thank all the people who sent me PMs with words of kindness and support. So, now I've had my say and I'm walking away from this thread with some very useful information and perceptions. Whether, I walk away from the forums altogther, I haven't decided yet. Thank You all for your opinions.

The title of the thread is "Would this offend you?" That's what people are responding to. If you didn't want to know that would really offend some people, you should have chosen another title for your thread.

The title of the thread is "Would this offend you?" That's what people are responding to. If you didn't want to know that would really offend some people, you should have chosen another title for your thread.

I'm confused too - now the OP doesn't want to know if it's offensive?

Nblake, I hope you stay, but quite honestly? This thread has been very tame for a "would you be offended" thread. IMO most of the flaming has been towards those of us who gave our opinions (which you asked for) that we wouldn't appreciate the gesture. We've been called names, etc.

I think you tried to do something nice, and then realized it might offend some people and asked about it. I think you got a realistic idea of how many people would love it and how many people wouldn't. Isn't that what you wanted?

OP, I think most people told you what they thought and those that disagreed with you felt there is a difference between a random act and one where you give a child something after they were told no by the caregiver with them.

OP, you are a very nice person, that's for sure.:)

But if the family is at Disney, they can't be that strapped for cash. ;)

I think it would sort of bother me if someone bought something for my child after I just say no, no matter the reason. I don't need someone else to buy for my kids, know what I mean?

But, clearly your intentions were good, and it sounds like the grandmother was not offended.

Yes it was. Maybe "yes" isn't acceptable, lol. She asked. People answered.

Thirdly, I think many of you missed the point of my OP. My original question (using that story as background) was, in essence, how could we do something nice for someone again on our upcoming trip?

I think some of us might have misunderstood what you were looking for with this thread. With the title "Would this offend you?" and this part of your OP:

So, I would like to do something nice for another little kid. Would a parent get mad at this? Where are the bounderies here? As a non-parent, I just don't know...

It seemed as though you wanted to know how parents would feel if you did that with their children, which is what many of us were telling you. We might not be offended, but it would bother us. Some people, while not mad, would be irritated or annoyed. I'm sorry if that wasn't what you were hoping to hear. I'm sure you meant well and I believe that most people would realize that if you were to do this to them, but privately they may not be as happy as you might believe them to be.

Nb the only thing I would advise is to not seek advice from people on the internet or ask what their opinion is... who cares what anyone thinks but you.
To be honest as someone who would have been really angry had you done that to my kid, the posters on here are often mean and cruel for no other reason that they would never be able to confront anyone in person, so they do it on a computer and argue. The next time I am at Disney in September, I am going to buy several different balloons for different kids and hand it to the kids without asking their parents just to annoy them.... and Im not kidding

Nb the only thing I would advise is to not seek advice from people on the internet or ask what their opinion is... who cares what anyone thinks but you.
To be honest as someone who would have been really angry had you done that to my kid, the posters on here are often mean and cruel for no other reason that they would never be able to confront anyone in person, so they do it on a computer and argue. The next time I am at Disney in September, I am going to buy several different balloons for different kids and hand it to the kids without asking their parents just to annoy them.... and Im not kidding

You seem to be missing the part where parents have said they would be annoyed if they had told the child no and you knew that but decided to buy the balloon anyway.

Lol, why anyone would do that is beyond me. Is it just random people you want to retaliate against, since you can't go after the evil Internet people. Most people Who said it would bother them have said they would be inwardly bothered but outwardly polite. So what do you get for your $50? But, have at it. Do me a favor and be nice to the grands though. :)

I, btw, would have smiled politely had it been done with me there, or not been polite if my mom had been ignored. Sometimes, in fact, most times there is more to the storey than people know.

Lol, why anyone would do that is beyond me. Is it just random people you want to retaliate against, since you can't go after the evil Internet people. Most people Who said it would bother them have said they would be inwardly bothered but outwardly polite. So what do you get for your $50? But, have at it. Do me a favor and be nice to the grands though. :)

Ginny of your kids are there , forget it, I am getting a dozen balloons for them , you better have a quadruplet sroller ready to haul those things off. But I'll get a rose for grandma even if she says no:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter