Wishes incident

Dee8197

<font color=indigo>Those blinking rats get me ever
Thanks to all for the welcome back.
I will tell you about the holiday later but thought I would fill you in on the Wishes incident.
We saw Wishes on the first night, very good, but our view was a bit restricted by the trees and the Winnie the Pooh sound system. DS was desperate to see it again and so we decided to watch it on the final night (Wednesday ) but in order to have a better view to stand directly in front of the castle.
We watched the Fantillusion Parade from the side of the pavement behind the rope across from the castle. When the parade finished and the rope was taken down we, along with many others moved forward, crossing the road to stand behind the people who were alrready on the pavement in front of the castle. Unbeknown to everyone, at the same time the Cast member were ordering everyone who was stood on the pavement in front of the castle to move backwards off the pavement and they were then putting up ropes to stop the crowd moving forward. Of course this meant that you had many hundreds of people moving forward while at the same time you had loads moving back - logic tells you that sooner or later the two lots would connect pushing in opposite directions. A recipe for desaster, no-one could move backwards, forwards or sideways, there was a serious danger of people loosing there balance and falling, if this had happened there would have been a domino affect and I think many people may have been seriously injured. The cast members were all talking in French ( Ithink, anyway not english ) and people all around us who could speak the lingo were getting very upset and angry I think that they were trying to tell the cast members that it was really getting dangerous, whatever the frustration was obvious and the atmosphere increasingly intense has people were concerned that they or their children were going to get hurt. The fear was very real and tangible. The lady next to me was very angry and upset, and had a pushchair pushed right up against the back of her calves she couldn't move an inch and was in danger of falling - she was quite a large lady and had a rucksack on her back, she had been determined that she and her family were going to be in the front line to watch Wishes and all was not going to plan for her. She had a large backpack which had hit me in the chest and stomach several times during her advance forward ( all be it everyone was pretty crushed ) Anyway the cast members ithen decided to tell everyone that they had to sit on the ground, they had to be joking there was barely room to stand - this seemed to be the final straw for this lady who suddenly turned on me - with no warning and for no reason she suddenly started to punch me, before I had time to even realise what was going on she had reigned down four hefty punches onto the top of my arm and shoulder, thankfully I didn'y instinctively react because it would have been to defend myself and I think that she would have attacked me even more - her family managed to stop her and she seemed to understand the word " Police ! in english. My DS was in tears because he had seen her thump me with her fist and my husband was just flaberghasted, I was totally dismayed. He family seemed to be very appologetic but it had spoilt the evening - very undisney I must say. When we did manage to sit down she was next to me, still very angry and ranting to the cast members in her lingo, I didn't exactly relish me or my family sitting next to her, we were a bit too vunerable but we had no choice there was no chance of moving anywhere. So my advice would be, do not step off the pavement to move forward in front of the castle because you will be crushed by people moving in opposite directions. You could find, like us that you become the filling in the sandwich - not very nice

Dee that's terrible!! :( I know how you mean about the total chaos that can ensue at DLP when large crowds are there, NYE was bad too with people being shoved in every direction simultaniously. The CMs seemed totally unable to control the crowd and took to either ignoring the problem or just shouting instructions incoherently at the crowd.

However it shouldn't matter how big a crowd it was, you should have been able to enjoy watching Wishes with your family without being attacked and then left with the woman who attacked you who could easily have attacked you or someone else again. It's very sad that something like that should have happened, especially on Disney property.

Dee,

I'm sorry to read about this unfortunate incident and sad to think of your son getting upset. Sounds like Disney definately need to re think what they're doing or someone will get crushed.

Look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.
Joanne

I would write a letter. There was a clear error from the cast members. I am sure part of it is the newness of the show but the fact that they were unable to correct the situation is absurd. I would expect some small gesture from Disney. Maybe a free park pass or meal. As far as the lady punching you, she's lucky you didnt press charges. Sorry that happened and I hope you had a nice trip otherwise.

Oh Dee this is just too terrible.:hug:

What an example of how NOT to behave this lady (can you call her a lady?) is setting her children? We all get disappointed if our best laid plans go wrong but to physically take it out on an innocent bystander? Words fail me..........

I know awful incidents like this can happen anywhere but they are always much much worse at Disney where every memory should be a happy one. I do hope that this didn't completely spoil the enjoyment of your holiday for you and your family.:grouphug:

I'm with MorganB on this one, I should write a letter explaining what happened. Wishes might be a new show but there have been fireworks previous summers and the CM's should be able to control the crowds better than this.

Oh my word :(

There are two separate incidents here to my mind. Though you could argue that without the first incident the second would not have happened perhaps.

1. The poor control of the crowd (and the situation) by the CMs leading to this appalling crush. You definitely should raise this with DLP - did you complain at the time (afterwards?). I would understand totally if you didn't - sometimes you just want to forget about nasty things, don't you? I agree with Morgan that a letter would be in order.

2. The thug that attacked you - did she think you were threatening her or something? I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would attack an innocent stranger - she sounds mentally disturbed to me.

You poor thing. I hope you are okay now? This must have been a real shock for you. I hope your DS wasn't too upset by it.

I'm so sorry Dee - what an incredible incident!! As Elaine said, it seems so much worse happening at Disney because you expect people to be kind and friendly there. She must have been loco!!! Definitely write to Guest Services and point out the danger you were in and how it spoiled your enjoyment. I hope your other memories of your holiday were much more pleasant and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you get chance to write your trippie!!

What a horrible thing to happen - how could someone behave like that?! :sad2: I hope at least you were able to enjoy your holiday before this awful incident.

Thanks for your words of support everyone. This incident happened on our last night so we have loads of great memories, it has blighted the holiday a bit but not overall. DS was in tears when we were leaving because he didn't want to come home, so although he was distressed at the time and talked about it afterwards ( we played it down) he seems to have accepted that it was just something that happened and he should forget about it and remeber all the good things.

No wonder DH and DS were upset, but you should take heart that you were above this thugist behaviour. Not very Disney :confused3

I hope the memories of the rest of the holiday are what you most remember :sunny:

Reid

That's unbelievable! I'm sorry to hear about this, this would be shocking enough anywhere but it does seem worse at Disney. I definitely agree you should contact Disney - it may just help prevent future incidents. However the poor crowd control still doesn't excuse what this crazy woman did. It's a horrible thing to happen, especially in front of your son, but I hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable.

That's awful - I feel even worse that I've just been writing about how much we loved Wishes in my trip report. What a nasty woman - we did encounter a few tussles in the crowds but nothing like that - makes me wish we had not gone back to the hotel and that night and could have been there to give some support. I hope in my time in the park I stepped on her toes at some point - doesn't make everything ok but it would give her a sore toe - silly woman.

Steve

Don't feel bad, I am so glad that you enjoyed Wishes so much. It was the reason we booked our holiday at this time ( we loved Wishes in WDW and wanted to see the DLP version asap )
Thanks for your offer of support that night Steve but believe me you were better off at the hotel, anyway with you there the crowd would have been even larger !:teeth:

What an absolute disgrace, I'm so sorry to hear what happened Dee especially in front of your son - I hope everyone's OK now.

What I do think this tale highlights is two aspects of DLP in which I think it falls down quite badly (especially in comparison to WDW):-

- The seeming inability of the park to handle crowds, even in queues. I was there last year in the first week the Lion King became tickets only, absolute chaos!

- How rude and 'out for themselves' a number of large number of guests are. Some of the sights I see there are quite incredible, especially when people are suppose to be enjoying a holiday.

Anyway, rant over - I really do hope your OK.

Cheers

Dee, I'm afraid I would have lost my cool and decked her!!! Not very mature or disney-like I'm afraid. She definitely sounds mentally unstable. I wonder why she chose poor you to take her frustrations out on :confused3 If I were you I would most definitely send a letter to customer relations even if only to allow you to vent.

Sorry for the dumb question--but if she "punched" you--why was security not called.

Not sure if it is cultural difference--but if that happened to my family at WDW, security would have been called in on it and surely I would be pressing charges.

I am flabbergasted!

Definitely write a letter though.

I can't believe you didn't press charges against that woman for assault.

Man, I would have screamed bloody murder if somebody started punching me!

She'd be in JAIL!

Did you try and find a cast member to tell them what happened? I'm just wondering, every now and then we see Disney police, but were there any around that night?

You know she's just going to go and beat up on some other poor person because you let her get away with that.

:sad2:
Disneyrsh said:
I can't believe you didn't press charges against that woman for assault.

Man, I would have screamed bloody murder if somebody started punching me!

She'd be in JAIL!

Did you try and find a cast member to tell them what happened? I'm just wondering, every now and then we see Disney police, but were there any around that night?

You know she's just going to go and beat up on some other poor person because you let her get away with that.
So now it's your fault Dee!!!!! ;) ;) :sad2: :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter