WISH Away the Pounds -- Fantastic February Challenge -- Everyone Welcome!

I dunno what was up with my scale yesterday, but I don't think it is possibly that I dropped nearly 5 pounds overnight... I don't know what to believe.

did you weigh in at the same time? Did you have a lot of sodium the past few days? water?

all those are contributing factors.

did you weigh in at the same time? Did you have a lot of sodium the past few days? water?

all those are contributing factors.

Yeah-- I'd check your batteries too.

Sorry it took me so long to post quotd today. Watching the oscars this year and knowing many of us are bummed about aging I set out to find picture of bodies over 40 to aspire to. Found that to be quite difficult unless you are a celebrity and everyone knows they put a lot of money into their faces and bodies. Did find some fun over 40 calendars for charities that are inspiring...

Anyway quotd 2/26 Tuesday:

Who is your over 40 role model?

For me it's always been Susan Sarandon, Halle Berry, Suzanne Somers but I ran across this picture today of Salma Hayek who is 45 and swears up and down she's had no plastic surgery even though people say she's had implants.
salma-hayek-hot-bikini-body-over-40_zps6cb0a073.jpg

This was a recent pic and I think she's gorgeous.

Realized today I am down a pound this week--just didn't realize it all week. Had to do math...lol.

Speaking of math I did some on Misty. Thanks to the boards I have a track record for her. I got her on Jan 22nd and about a week later noticed she looked pregnant. By all accounts you really can't notice any pregnancy in cats until they are at least 3 weeks so I figure she's at least 49 days in and gestation is generally 63 days. So I just have to be patient and enjoy them kicking around in her tummy lol. I think it's actually pretty good of me to call it so early but really even though haven't had much experience with pregnant cats I did have a cat when I was 19 who got pregnant her first heat (she was only 4 months old and my boyfriend "accidentally' let her out. I was very interested in her pregnancy then and also got knocked up the same time lol so all the stages were very interesting to me. It makes me feel better too knowing that we couldn't possibly be responsible for the kittens too even though she got out twice in the first week we got her-- there would have been no way for me to tell in that short of time.

I have lost my mind with impatience about this though-- I need to focus on something else...maybe I'll try the 100 things...

Hi Wishers, I am back from the podiatrist. I did like the place and the philosophy they have, was made for me. (Let's hope!)

Diagnosis, my tendons are tight as heck. (DUH, knew that already.;))

His approach for my treatment is....

1) Wearing "Minimalist Shoes" when I do wear shoes and going barefoot when I can. Makes sense that is for sure. You can google minimalist shoes to see what that is all about. Basically, wearing a minimalist shoe will put my foot into a "passive stretch" which will help cure my issue. Wearing a pair right now. They are Merrell's and were 100 bucks.

2) I am going for some physical therapy on my feet starting tomorrow.

3) Foot massage. He has a guy from Thailand who does foot massage for 60 bucks an hour.

So I am excited to get started on this journey so I can get my life back!!!

QOTD? Women over 40 role models? Well, I don't know.

I really like fashion, brains, and drive so I will nominate Anna Wintour aka "Devil Wears Prada" or also known as "Nuclear Wintour".:rotfl:
She is 63.

Sorry for being so absent! Trying to catch up at work is very tiring.

But great success: I restarted the 30 Day Shred today and survived the exercise. So I am officially healthy again. I restarted with level 1 - will do this for another 2 days and then try my best at level 2 again. I lost exactly 7 days of training, but since I am going back 4 days, this will turn into a "41 day shred and flu"...

QOTD: I love the question, but fail to come up with an answer. I agree that Selma Hayek looks great - and I love it that she does not just look thin. However, she is just such a different type from me that I can't identify with her. I think I draw my role models more from everyday life and often watch other women who are slightly older than me to figure out in which direction I want to move (or not!).

Well I didn't get to do my workout last night, DF started coming down with my sickness so I had to take over helping DS finish his science project and then take care of poor old sick DF! But I got up and went to the Y today... did 45 minutes on the cross trainer! :cheer2: But then my chest hurt after :sad1: Well, hopefully I can condition myself back in shape :upsidedow I really felt great after completing a workout... I missed it, and I never thought those words would come out of my mouth :rotfl: Hope everyone is doing well, especially with that winter weather hitting you east coasters! We have nice 65degree weather out here... supposed to be in the 80s by the weekend!

QOTD: This one is easy but no one any of you will know. My yoga instructor just turned 50 and if you met her, you'd swear she's not a day over 35. Small frame, nothing but muscle, strong as an ox, and could easily be mistaken for Elastigirl!:lmao: She has two kids (17 and 20), and has the personality of an :littleangel:. When you need someone with that positive, upbeat attitude around you, she's it!:cheer2: I am SO lucky to have found her classes and could kick myself for having waited so long!:scared:

NSV. Intentionally turning down the Easter candy aisle at the grocery store and then quickly backing out!!

Same time of day. And the scale is pretty much brand new. I was really confused. I'll see what it says tomorrow morning.

I know I got sick last night, but not enough to lose that much.

Sorry for being so absent! Trying to catch up at work is very tiring.

But great success: I restarted the 30 Day Shred today and survived the exercise. So I am officially healthy again. I restarted with level 1 - will do this for another 2 days and then try my best at level 2 again. I lost exactly 7 days of training, but since I am going back 4 days, this will turn into a "41 day shred and flu"...

QOTD: I love the question, but fail to come up with an answer. I agree that Selma Hayek looks great - and I love it that she does not just look thin. However, she is just such a different type from me that I can't identify with her. I think I draw my role models more from everyday life and often watch other women who are slightly older than me to figure out in which direction I want to move (or not!).

Yeah doesn't have to be a celebrity--I was mostly just looking for pictures to post. I thought we were getting over the youth worshipping culture in America finally but apparently not.
I guess I've been really seeking out older women in the last few years to follow because I've been interested in someone who is 17 years my junior so I think I had convinced myself we had turned the corner on the subject with desperate housewives (never watched it) and society sort of accepting the fact that women can be attractive after 40. For myself I've really never been in better shape and eat 160 degrees better than I ever did 20 years ago. I've always taken care of my skin but only in recent years been applying moisturizer anywhere other than my face. I have a few grey hairs but those actually came in when my daughter was a teen lol and I haven't got any more. I really enjoyed the movie calendar girls too-- that really inspired me.
"The flowers of Yorkshire are like the women of Yorkshire. Every stage of their growth has its own beauty, but the last phase is always the most glorious."

NSV. Intentionally turning down the Easter candy aisle at the grocery store and then quickly backing out!!

Lol-- I didn't get any hearts with the chocolates in them marked down after V-day, just my one bag of m&m's. Or the cakes and cupcakes they always mark down in the bakery.

Just sitting around making sure my mp3 player is charged...fell asleep with Misty earlier lol.

Hi Wishers, I am back from the podiatrist. I did like the place and the philosophy they have, was made for me. (Let's hope!)

1) Wearing "Minimalist Shoes" when I do wear shoes and going barefoot when I can. Makes sense that is for sure. You can google minimalist shoes to see what that is all about. Basically, wearing a minimalist shoe will put my foot into a "passive stretch" which will help cure my issue. Wearing a pair right now. They are Merrell's and were 100 bucks.

3) Foot massage. He has a guy from Thailand who does foot massage for 60 bucks an hour.

I really like fashion, brains, and drive so I will nominate Anna Wintour aka "Devil Wears Prada" or also known as "Nuclear Wintour".:rotfl:
She is 63.

YAY!! Glad you got a diagnosis.
I too wear minimalists, they are the only thing that cured my PF. I also pronate really badly. I wear the New Balance MT10's and love them. Check them out if the Merrell's don't work out.

Over 40 role model

Well, to be honest I don't know their ages but my 2 role models are DIS'ers.

One is our very own Pjlla. She is awesome, and a great mom who still finds time to take care of herself. Even when her DH had a terrible accident she didn't turn to food to comfort herself, she really was a rock for him.

The other is Dr.Girlfriend, her real name escapes me at the moment (maybe Stephanie?). Her weight loss transformation is truly amazing. Another great mom who took time for herself to get fit and healthy.
I have her before, during and after pics hanging on my fridge.

ETA:
I have to work on my 100 things, the kids need to computer for homework and my list will take some time to compile.

She is 63.
I had a nasty case of p-f in 2011 and I lived in merrells.

Once you get used to the massage your dh can do it or you can do it on yourself. I still get scar tissue that forms easily that needs to be broken up.

A golf ball works wonders for breaking up scar tissue, BUT you can overdo it. Your foot also needs time to heel.

Ice is your friend. :thumbsup2

I am a huge fan of the towel stretch. I think it is one of the best leg stretches for tight calves, achilles and feet.

I am sure your pt will have lots of ideas for you, but just know it is fixable. I came back from barely being able to walk (p-f, fat pad injury, and sprain) to finishing a marathon.

And if you ever decide to run ;) then we will talk about how you absolutely, positively should not heel strike from the very beginning. Might as well start off the 'right' way. :) (This does not apply to walking.)

Glad you are getting it fixed!:goodvibes

Over 40 role model

Well, to be honest I don't know their ages but my 2 role models are DIS'ers.

One is our very own Pjlla. She is awesome, and a great mom who still finds time to take care of herself. Even when her DH had a terrible accident she didn't turn to food to comfort herself, she really was a rock for him.

The other is Dr.Girlfriend, her real name escapes me at the moment (maybe Stephanie?). Her weight loss transformation is truly amazing. Another great mom who took time for herself to get fit and healthy.
I have her before, during and after pics hanging on my fridge.

ETA:
I have to work on my 100 things, the kids need to computer for homework and my list will take some time to compile.

Awww! You are so sweet! :goodvibes And that was just what I needed right now. I'm sitting here at the Y trying to talk myself into a workout despite a headache.

Evening all! Spent the day in Boston at the aquarium with DD. I told each kid I would give them a day with me during vacation, so this was DD's day. And tomorrow was supposed to be DS's day, but the weather doesn't sound promising (more snow on the way). I tried to rent a Redbox movie so we would have a back-up plan, but there was NOTHING worth $1 ! And Thursday starts 3 days of robotics competition, so my vacation week is full!

Hope you all are well. I'm not going to take the time for replies right now, as I'm trying to persuade the above -mentioned headache to disappear so I can hit the gym. I've indulged in just a few extra calories every day since Friday (vacation calories :rolleyes: ) and need to be sure they don't show up on the scale on Friday.

TTYL...........P

Ok....dinner is mostly digested, Advil is working its way through my system, so I'm gonna pull on my exercise clothes and suck it up! Not even sure yet what I will do....TM, bike, elliptical, walking track? But I'm gonna at least move for 30 minutes! Headache will hopefully diminish as I move.........P

QOTD: Hmmm ... while I was watching the Oscars, I was admiring the dresses and the actresses. When Jennifer Lawerence was being interviewed on the red carpet, she said she was 5'8" (that is my height). So, I googled the weight/height of celebities .... and honestly ... even the ones over 40 are too thin for me. I don't think I will ever be that thin again (in the 120s). I was this weight in high school and when I look back a pictures I truly thought I was too thin (... and I could eat whatever I wanted .... sigh).

So, as much as I would like to look like some of these women (and I really do) I am not too sure they are the greatest role models. And I do agree, they pay to make themselves look good ... it is their job. ;)

Now, trying to avoid the Girl Scout cookies that I bought. They have come in and my sons are not eating them fast enough. They keep calling my name. I have already eaten 6 samoas ... not good. Just made myself some herbal tea to drink instead.

And on a funny note, I have homework tonight. Given to me by one of my students who is 6! She loves the movie Hotel Transylvania and keeps telling me all about it. I told her I haven't seen it. Well today she marches in my room first thing in the morning and gives me the DVD and tells me I have to watch it tonight. Well I know it just came out and asked her if her mom knows she brought the DVD to school and she said ... oh, yes she knows. (I keep wondering what she told her mother ... something like "My teacher asked if she could watch the movie ...." :rotfl2:) Anyway, off to do my homework! :lmao:

YAY!! Glad you got a diagnosis.
I too wear minimalists, they are the only thing that cured my PF. I also pronate really badly. I wear the New Balance MT10's and love them. Check them out if the Merrell's don't work out.

That is so good to hear!!!! I will check out the MT10's as well.:thumbsup2

I had a nasty case of p-f in 2011 and I lived in merrells.

Once you get used to the massage your dh can do it or you can do it on yourself. I still get scar tissue that forms easily that needs to be broken up.

A golf ball works wonders for breaking up scar tissue, BUT you can overdo it. Your foot also needs time to heel.

Ice is your friend. :thumbsup2

I am a huge fan of the towel stretch. I think it is one of the best leg stretches for tight calves, achilles and feet.

I am sure your pt will have lots of ideas for you, but just know it is fixable. I came back from barely being able to walk (p-f, fat pad injury, and sprain) to finishing a marathon.

And if you ever decide to run ;) then we will talk about how you absolutely, positively should not heel strike from the very beginning. Might as well start off the 'right' way. :) (This does not apply to walking.)

Glad you are getting it fixed!:goodvibes

You certainly had a lot more going on than me. I know you are having back issues. Is your foot in any way related to your back?

For me I feel like I have had a "stroke", that is the only way I can describe it. My right side of my body is "off" due to my foot. It is always tight, I suppose do to rolling my foot when I walk.

Thanks for the support everyone and hopefully I will be back to exercising normally soon!!!:wave2:

That is so good to hear!!!! I will check out the MT10's as well.:thumbsup2

You certainly had a lot more going on than me. I know you are having back issues. Is your foot in any way related to your back?

For me I feel like I have had a "stroke", that is the only way I can describe it. My right side of my body is "off" due to my foot. It is always tight, I suppose do to rolling my foot when I walk.

Thanks for the support everyone and hopefully I will be back to exercising normally soon!!!:wave2:
No, my back is just a weak core/back combined with a tendency to roll my hips forward all the time. So then when I did core exercises, I always eventually ended up hurting my back. The theory is that the weak core/back muscles are causing my piriformis to have to overwork which is leading to the spasms and chronic back issues. This is happening both when I run and do other strength workouts. I have learned a bunch in physical therapy. It is still not perfect, but it is improving and I am slowly increasing my miles and learning more strength exercises. The best part, she is making sure I have good form, and we don't move on until I have it down. I ran 3 miles yesterday and 4 today, so far so good.:goodvibes

It really will get better, but for my foot it took about 10 weeks until I was back to my old activities, and even then I was still icing for months afterwards. Just be patient and trust the process.:) Some of the stuff they have you do might not make sense, but it really is a process. Also ask lots of questions if you don't understand what they are asking. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter