Wisdom teeth, boo! Update pg 3

pocomom

Brr.....
DD 14 is having her wisdom teeth pulled on Thursday in the morning. She wants to go out Thursday night. I've left it at "we'll see" because I imagine she is not going to actually feel like it after the procedure... but does anyone remember how long recovery is?
Doctor said 4 days of doing nothing. I seem to remember only being out of school one day, the actual day of the procedure. I realize we have to actually see how SHE does, but just wanted an idea of what I should and shouldn't be cancelling, if she'll definitely not be in classes Friday, and if I need to plan on being home all weekend with her.

Last edited:
Dd13 had one out 2 days ago (just Novocain). She just ate a sandwich and went to the mall. However, it bled for more than 24 hours. Dd20 had all 4 taken out 2 years ago. She sat on the couch eating soft foods with ice packs on her face for an entire week.

My daughter had a similar desire to go out when she had hers done, but that all changed after the procedure. If the teeth are impacted and it is a surgical procedure then you want to be careful about not being to active and possibly upsetting the clot. That's why I think they want you to lay low. I do think that 2 days post surgery my kids were 100% ready to go.

One of my kids swelled up like a very sad chipmunk and was in pain for about a week. She had trouble sleeping the first couple nights, even with Percoset.

The other one of my kids didn't get any swelling and was basically back to normal by the next day. He took some Tylenol.

It's really random!

On the other hand, make sure you have a chat with your kids while they're still loopy. It's hilarious! I don't know what my son was saying to the nurses, but they were all red faced and giggling when they came out to get me and the dentist even popped out, grabbed my hand and shook it, saying, "I just wanted to shake your hand. Your son's a card!"

Oooo-kay... :rotfl: (We did have a lot of fun quizzing him on the drive home.)

I just had my top 2 taken out a few weeks ago (they came in YEARS ago, but the lower ones never showed). I asked to be put out, but was and out of the office within 1 hour! I got a ride home, slept most of the morning, had a grilled cheese sandwich at lunch, slept a few more hours, and went out to dinner that night.

I know, my story is far from the norm. My message is really, each person is different, and recovery is different. I wish her well!

They pulled mine when I had braces.....I was 19. I always think of my youngest DS when he reached his designated air force base back in May 2012. They automatically pulled all four of his within the first 2 months he was there.........just protocol. :)

Something else to consider is that she has no idea how she will tolerate the anesthesia either. My son came home and started vomiting until the doctor phoned in some anti nausea medicine for him.

DD 14 is having her wisdom teeth pulled on Thursday in the morning. She wants to go out Thursday night. I've left it at "we'll see" because I imagine she is not going to actually feel like it after the procedure... but does anyone remember how long recovery is?
Doctor said 4 days of doing nothing. I seem to remember only being out of school one day, the actual day of the procedure. I realize we have to actually see how SHE does, but just wanted an idea of what I should and shouldn't be cancelling, if she'll definitely not be in classes Friday, and if I need to plan on being home all weekend with her.

If the doctor said 4 days, I'm going to guess they are impacted. Plan on being home all weekend. You might not be. But I would plan on it.

My DD had all four of hers taken out about 3 weeks ago (none had poked through the gum yet). She was on the couch with ice packs and ibuprofen for about 48 hours, went out for a little bit on day 3 and was back to work on day 4.

DD just had two of hers out. They were impacted. She was pretty miserable for the better part of a week. The swelling was the worst on day 3, despite ibuprofen and ice packs. On the first night she layed low after general anesthesia. But I agree, everyone is different.

They are all impacted.
I had all four of my wisdom teeth out - 2 impacted and 2 already grown in. I bruised down the whole side of my face and neck on the one side where they had to break the impacted tooth in 3 pieces to get it out. Not to mention the chipmunk cheeks on both sides.

I, too, thought I was going back to work the next day - originally. What actually happened - due to the anesthetic reaction and meds I cried for the next 3 days (no particular reason, just the physical stress of the whole situation).
Went back to work a week later.

I got mine out when all 4 were impacted, I slept for the first 24 hours and didn't leave the house for a couple days after that.

My son had his out a month ago. He did not leave the house for several days. His were all impacted. He was in terrible pain the first couple of days - but his pain tolerance is pretty low :)

Girls especially have to be careful of developing dry sockets - where the blood clot dislodges from the socket after a couple of days. Neither of my boys developed dry sockets, but they sound awful if you get one.

Yes my DD got a dry socket. Ugh. She was in a ton of pain!

ETA she just explained to me ;) that the pain is caused by the bone and/or nerve being exposed to food, air or bacteria (once the blood clot dislodges). Ouch!

I had mine removed senior year. All four were impacted and one had to be broken to get it out, which caused nerve damage and facial numbness that I still have to this day. :rolleyes: Recovery was uneventful and I went to dance practice that afternoon. I didn't dance but I led the practice, gave directions, and observed (I was the captain). Overall, it wasn't that a bad. Having my tonsils removed at age 25 on the other hand... :scared:

My daughter was vomiting the first day and had chipmunk cheeks for a good four days. She had a lot of pain and didn't want to take Advil because she had gotten so sick.

My son just had his out and did GREAT....until he didn't. He had zero pain and zero swelling. He came home, slept for twenty minutes, and was completely fine after that. He could have gone out that first night. We had told him advance that he wasn't going anywhere. He drives so there was no way we were letting him get behind the wheel the first day.

On day three, he complained of pain in the upper one. After a couple days I called the oral surgeon. They completely blew me off. They said dry socket only happens in the bottom ones and he'd be fine. He got worse. Much worse. The oral surgeon left on vacation before seeing him. :sad2: The girl on the phone still insisted an infection NEVER happens in the upper extraction. I decided to go with my gut and I got him into our regular dentist. He had a serious infection in the spot where one "never" gets an infection. That's also when we discovered he is allergic to penicillin. Fun times! The dentist was concerned that he would need to go to an oral surgeon and have them go back in, but the new antibiotic started kicking in after three days and he was good to go after that.

So, yeah, ya never know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter