Wisdom teeth, boo! Update pg 3

Many people don't actually need their wisdom teeth removed. I was told mine would have to be out 11 years ago by a so-called professional. I still have them and two came in normally. The other two just never came in. My current dentist is perfectly fine with this as nothing has changed in about 8 years since they came in.

I play trombone as my other job and could not have afforded to miss time with surgery.

A lot of dentists/surgeons are in this for $$$. Find an honest dentist who can give you a real opinion. Chances are good you don't actually need them out, at least short term, and probably also long term.

My DD had hers out when she was a senior. We wanted to avoid anesthesia, and requested the Dr remove 2 at a time, starting with 1 side and then the 2nd side 2 weeks later. He wasn't crazy abOut the idea but agreed. So she had shots to numb and then laughing gas. It went great, they were impacted, and she actually did go out with a friend the first night, felt fine while her friends who had anesthesia and 4 out at once were sick for days.

I will add that I got several recommendations on the oral surgeon, he was excellent, no bruising or swelling at all. Now I hope she will do the same with the grandkids, and that they can handle it as well as she did.
That's basically the norm in Gemrany (minus hte laughing gas) and everyone here seemed to think it was odd that I was worried about DS having issues for more than maybe an afternoon. I am begining to wonder if we take the wrong approach in the US . . .

That makes more sense.

That's the trouble with threads like this. You often can't tell what people mean by "anesthesia" (local, iv sedation, general).

DD probably would have done better if she just had local anesthesia like you, but I assumed that would be more traumatic with how impacted they were. Turned out since she didn't remember the actual surgery she freaked out because she thought they had cut out her tongue (she was numb and bloody, but in her brain she was convinced that the doctor hadn't done the surgery because she couldn't remember it so the only logical conclusion in her frantic state was that they cut out her tongue instead of removing the teeth). The nurse then made it worse by telling her "If you don't calm down, you can't go home" so she thought they were some sadistic monsters who were holding her captive after mutilating her. Way more traumatic than just being aware of the whole surgery.
oh my gohs--the poor thing

I had IV sedation, all four removed at once, two cut out because they were impacted. I went to the mall the same night and played Dance Dance Revolution at the arcade with my high school friends. I spit blood all over the sidewalk outside the arcade several times, and it was probably an awful idea. But, I've always had a high tolerance for anesthesia and pain meds, so I wasn't "loopy" from that.

Many people don't actually need their wisdom teeth removed. I was told mine would have to be out 11 years ago by a so-called professional. I still have them and two came in normally. The other two just never came in. My current dentist is perfectly fine with this as nothing has changed in about 8 years since they came in.

I play trombone as my other job and could not have afforded to miss time with surgery.

A lot of dentists/surgeons are in this for $$$. Find an honest dentist who can give you a real opinion. Chances are good you don't actually need them out, at least short term, and probably also long term.

I guess the problem is that it's hard to know who will have problems with their wisdom teeth later in life and who won't. When those problems come up and you're in the middle of finals in college, or away from home on a business trip, will you be able to take days off to have it done and recover? The procedure and recovery is easier for a young adult than for an older adult. My dad had his done as an adult and had a hard recovery. He's now very supportive of removing them at a younger age when possible.

I really don't think it's always about the $$$$. Sure, there are some bad apples in every profession. But you should find a professional you trust, and don't always assume they are trying to take advantage of you.

The original dentist who said they needed to come out isn't even who performs the procedure so they have nothing to gain ... while I agree some people probably don't NEED them taken out, my kid isn't one of them.
The wisdom teeth have already pushed her previously straight teeth so that she will need braces. And she is in discomfort. For her there is nothing to be gained by waiting , life won't get less busy for her than it is right now.
Plus I've seen the x-rays- her roots are not fully formed- they are touching her sinuses on top and nearing the nerve in her jaw on bottom. A few months even could mean a lot more side effects. I'm happy they are moving quickly so we can get this over with.

In my family, all the women had impacted (laying sideways) lower wisdom teeth. Not, that's not particularly unusual, and most people's impacted teeth don't grow, so no problem.

But some people's do. That is, they try to grow (like they want to come in) but the direction of growth is sideways. That's what happens in our family. I had braces as a kid (back in the day where they didn't remove wisdom teeth at the start of orthodonture work), and had beautiful straight teeth. As I got older my parents tried to convince the dentist that I needed my wisdom teeth removed (yes, they were impacted), but he kept saying "no need, let's just wait and see". Well, "waiting and seeing" led to the teeth growing into the molars forward of where they were. Just like all the other females in my family. Caused all my teeth to cram together and twist (becoming no longer straight and beautiful).

My upper wisdom teeth, although not truly impacted, did manage to grow in, but they did so in a forward and outward direction, again, messing up my other teeth.

My personal experience, certainly not everyone's, but I wish I had had mine removed when I was young.

Last edited:
Well, the kid is tough. Today was surgery day. She just overheard me tell her younger sister that I got her ride to practice and she told me she wanted to go :eek:
Had to put my foot down on that one.
She took some Vicodan this afternoon but doesn't want any more.
Hope tomorrow goes as smoothly. I've heard days 2 and 3 can be harder due to swelling- and she already has quite a bit.

Well, the kid is tough. Today was surgery day. She just overheard me tell her younger sister that I got her ride to practice and she told me she wanted to go :eek:
Had to put my foot down on that one.
She took some Vicodan this afternoon but doesn't want any more.
Hope tomorrow goes as smoothly. I've heard days 2 and 3 can be harder due to swelling- and she already has quite a bit.
I hope she has a speedy recovery!!!

That's basically the norm in Gemrany (minus hte laughing gas) and everyone here seemed to think it was odd that I was worried about DS having issues for more than maybe an afternoon. I am begining to wonder if we take the wrong approach in the US . . .

I had mine removed in 3 rounds as an adult, in my 30s and 40s. First two were done separately by my dentist because i begged him to do it himself when he told me it needed to be done. First time in my life to have novacaine. He had been my dentist since I was four years old. The other two were recommended out by my second dentist when I was hurting and they were coming through the gum when I was in my forties. An oral surgeon removed those. All were done with local anesthetic, no laughing gas. I took some ibuprofen and it was no big deal. I was lucky enough to have no issues after any of the removals.

Ugggh. So. Wrong. My orthodontist told me to get them out. My dentist told me I didn't need to. Let's just say my parents would have been better off flushing their money down the toilet for my braces and the 4 years I wore braces was wasted because my wisdom teeth totally messed up my formerly straight teeth. The kicker, I ended up getting them out anyway because they became unbearable at around age 23. The only good thing at that point is that my regular dentist was willing to pull them instead of the oral surgeon at that point and it wasn't all that big of a deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter