Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2022 (Nov. 3-6, 2022)

I like the virtual queue idea. I’d be much more hard-core about access to the Disney shopping area though. On Thursday and Friday, the rule should be “No Race Bib, no entry”. Maybe they could key it to the Magic Band system so that you don’t actually have to present your race bib.
I would imagine it being bib or expo pass screen shot … runner and their party only… if your a runner and your friend/Significant other/sibling/child is a flipper what’s wrong with you!!!!

I would imagine it being bib or expo pass screen shot … runner and their party only… if your a runner and your friend/Significant other/sibling/child is a flipper what’s wrong with you!!!!
You’re probably right on entry ID. I’d still be hardcore on who gets to enter. First, it would be less crowded, second, it would incentive people to hurry up, shop, and leave. I see so many people there dwadling around, chatting with other people, asking their pals what they think of something and whether they should buy it, so on. People, it’s shopping, not the social event of the century. Be efficient, stop chitchatting, buy your stuff, and leave 😀 there’s an after-party for socializing 😀

Its too bad they can't at least only open the Expo to the general public (aka mostly ebay resellers) on the final day of each race weekend. They can still unload the merch that is still available but since most runners hit the expo the day before their race, they will have already gone before the final day of each race weekend.

I've seen this mentioned before but I think there is enough profit for the eBay sellers to just register for the 5K and then not run it.

I think the only real way to fight this is both order enough merchandise that it doesn't sell out so quickly and incentivize the resale market and limit the actual number of items one person can buy. They sort of do this now but it isn't limited enough. You can buy 1 jacket, one pin, 2 shirts, ect per bib.

I've seen this mentioned before but I think there is enough profit for the eBay sellers to just register for the 5K and then not run it.

I think the only real way to fight this is both order enough merchandise that it doesn't sell out so quickly and incentivize the resale market and limit the actual number of items one person can buy. They sort of do this now but it isn't limited enough. You can buy 1 jacket, one pin, 2 shirts, ect per bib.
Not sure that would work. Two ways I can think of around it: 1. Get the entire family involved on the eBay scam. 2. Exit and re-enter. I still think the optimal way to handle it would be runners only and prioritize CrD, GO, DVC, and AP (people/groups who’ve already made an investment beyond just the race to filter the people who register for 5K and don’t run).

Its too bad they can't at least only open the Expo to the general public (aka mostly ebay resellers) on the final day of each race weekend. They can still unload the merch that is still available but since most runners hit the expo the day before their race, they will have already gone before the final day of each race weekend.

The problem with this approach is that you then incentivize the resellers to purchase 5k bibs, which are already in short supply, to gain access to the Expo. The markup they get on a single spirit jersey just about covers the 5k entry fee. I agree with the limitation concept in theory, but in reality it could easily turn out to be more detrimental to runners than the current situation.

There is an identical discussion going on right now over in the Springtime Surprise thread.

As a number of people have brought up, requiring a bib to access the merch area isn't going to solve the problem. Resellers are just going to buy 5K bibs and prevent people who actually want to run the race from doing so.

Also, I travel with a friend who may or may not be running a race, depending on the weekend (if I'm doing a 10K/half challenge, we usually don't do the 5K). Telling me that I need to ditch her for an hour plus (which is was it takes to get into the merch area around noon on Day 1, shop, pay and get out) is downright draconian. Getting to spend time with her is as much a part of the "race experience" for me as actually running it.

If Disney wanted to solve the problem, they could:
- Enforce their limit of 2 items (not per size or whatever) per person
- Actually order enough of the merchandise that they know is going to be popular in the appropriate sizes (women's L and XL are always decimated while there are scads of XS and S)
- Set up a shopDisney style website for the race merch. Have a preorder link sent to runners with the Expo guide. To order, you must put in your bib number and are subject to the 2 per item limit. Charge a modest convenience fee to pay for staff to put the orders together.

If runDisney wanted to solve the problem, they could. But they would rather funnel people to their club and charge people money to buy things.

(P.S. Someone in the Springtime Surprise group mentioned the concept of a virtual queue. THAT I could get on board with. My preference would be that you couldn't sign up until you are actually at WWoS. I would love to be able to be shopping in the other building, getting something to eat, or just sitting outside enjoying the weather than killing my feet standing in that holding area.)

The problem with this approach is that you then incentivize the resellers to purchase 5k bibs, which are already in short supply, to gain access to the Expo. The markup they get on a single spirit jersey just about covers the 5k entry fee. I agree with the limitation concept in theory, but in reality it could easily turn out to be more detrimental to runners than the current situation.
I agree that would happen. The folks that just wanna run a race and buy a souvie to remember it lose either way.

I wish Disney would acknowledge/improve for Wine & Dine.

Club runDisney is of no value to me — I'll never get there at the beginning of the expo. I'm non-local and do park vacation days post-race.

Really hope pre-orders return and even expand. I used to pre-order big time, especially as a non-local often arriving Friday/Saturday! If it's a temporary supply chain issue, I understand. If it's Disney cost-cuts, I do not understand. Unless their goal is to make going to the expo a disappointing slog.

Visiting the expo, and the merch (and merch quality, while I'm on my soapbox lol), are important parts of a pricey Disney race experience to me. Maybe they are not for other/smaller/cheaper races, but for Disney races, yes!

snip
- Actually order enough of the merchandise that they know is going to be popular in the appropriate sizes (women's L and XL are always decimated while there are scads of XS and S)
snip

I usually ave the opposite problem. The stuff they had left was men' L and larger, I need a small.

This is a solvable problem if Disney wanted to do it. They don't. The irony is they are leaving money on the table which is very un-Disney. I would have spent a few hundred more at the MW expo if they had a cool jacket specific to the marathon (not just the weekend or runDisney), an ornament, a pint glass, and some other merch if it was race specific. I also would have taken that ornament to Disney Springs to have it personalized and given them more money.

Rumor has it they got a bunch of race stuff late this year due to supply chain issues and instead of putting it somewhere we could buy it they sent it to whatever the cast only shop is. That was just mean.

I usually ave the opposite problem. The stuff they had left was men' L and larger, I need a small.

This is a solvable problem if Disney wanted to do it. They don't. The irony is they are leaving money on the table which is very un-Disney. I would have spent a few hundred more at the MW expo if they had a cool jacket specific to the marathon (not just the weekend or runDisney), an ornament, a pint glass, and some other merch if it was race specific. I also would have taken that ornament to Disney Springs to have it personalized and given them more money.

Rumor has it they got a bunch of race stuff late this year due to supply chain issues and instead of putting it somewhere we could buy it they sent it to whatever the cast only shop is. That was just mean.
I hope that rumor is wrong!
I have the exact opposite Mens problem. I usually ONLY find S, XL, XXL and I wear a medium/large

I continue to stalk fruitlessly for more 5k openings for our friends and can’t help but notice that the two course challenge is still available. I presume that if this persists for some time that they might eventually break up the packages and free up some 10k and half availability?

I just noticed that the Virtual races are now open. When did that happen? They weren't last time I checked.

I continue to stalk fruitlessly for more 5k openings for our friends and can’t help but notice that the two course challenge is still available. I presume that if this persists for some time that they might eventually break up the packages and free up some 10k and half availability?

That seems to be the way it goes. The 5k will open and close a few times but if you are really interested you should check regularly. You can write a script that checks the page automatically once a minute and alerts you when it is open if you'd like. We do that with some ticket monitoring at work.

I wish Disney would acknowledge/improve for Wine & Dine.

Club runDisney is of no value to me — I'll never get there at the beginning of the expo. I'm non-local and do park vacation days post-race.

Really hope pre-orders return and even expand. I used to pre-order big time, especially as a non-local often arriving Friday/Saturday! If it's a temporary supply chain issue, I understand. If it's Disney cost-cuts, I do not understand. Unless their goal is to make going to the expo a disappointing slog.

Visiting the expo, and the merch (and merch quality, while I'm on my soapbox lol), are important parts of a pricey Disney race experience to me. Maybe they are not for other/smaller/cheaper races, but for Disney races, yes!
You make a very good point. I tend to overlook the Expo as just something I have to do to pick up my bib and grab whatever souvie I can still find (we're out of state also and usually don't get to Expo until Friday). But it is part of the race experience and that should be reserved for those running and their friends and family as something to ENJOY and look forward to not something to dread and stress about....long lines, getting there as soon as possible for any hope at a memorable token of your experience, paying extra to be there early, etc. Pre-orders seem like a brilliant way for them to sell stuff directly to those running and not cost them much time or money to accommodate.

We are quite a ways off from knowing the park hours for W&D weekend, right? Trying to decide when to purchase park tickets. Don't wanna spend the $ now but don't want to wait too long and have park reservations gone. Aiming for the sweet spot in between!

Quick question about MemoryMaker and race pictures. If we are only doing one actual park day and buy a one day MM are we able to add any race weekend photos to that MM or just the race that is run on our one park day?

I thought you had the ability to add the race photos to a single day but wanted to check. $69 for three races and a park day makes sense, $169 for the same doesn't.

We are quite a ways off from knowing the park hours for W&D weekend, right? Trying to decide when to purchase park tickets. Don't wanna spend the $ now but don't want to wait too long and have park reservations gone. Aiming for the sweet spot in between!

I'm not sure that weekend will be busy enough to have any park closed out so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if you are buying a package you just have to give them a small deposit and you can start making park reservations. It is only if you are buying just tickets that you need to pay in full.

Re: reservations between Jersey Week leading in or out of the weekend + people still doing make up trips/revenge travel I personally plan to book my park days as soon as my AP gets renewed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter