Will you be ok jobwise with this nightmare?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
I pray for all who have lost their jobs, are being laid off, etc. during this nightmare. We are very fortunate that my dh has a job that is secure and necessary in this environment. I am a substitute teacher so won’t be working but my earnings are basically treated as “extra” so we will be ok.

One brother, however, lives in NJ and works in NYC. With both states basically locked down, he will be out of work and his wife has already lost her job in retail.

My brother in law just called and was laid off yesterday and my sil owns a small business which has had to close as well. They will be ok only because they recently received a decent chunk of money as an inheritance, but still it is horrible.

For any of who are in the same boat, know my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Praying things can get back to a new normal sooner rather than later.

“Will you be ok job wise with this nightmare?”

Probably not if this thing continues for more than a few days. So,...

I don't know. I work in an industry that is fairly secure - public accounting, but it really depends what happens with the economy and the impact it has on our clients. The fact that the tax deadline just got pushed back pushes the work for a segment of our business too. That was a back log of work we were hoping to keep people busy with for several weeks. However, the firm is solid financially, but if revenues drop dramatically, it will be hard to support the same headcount. There are other options too. No bonuses or raises this year will help, perhaps asking those at higher levels to take pay cuts.

I would suspect this may hurt our consulting practice, especially if is it for non essential types of projects.

It is really going to depend how long it all lasts.

So far yes. Today is my first day working from home, ever. I am getting paid, they certainly could have laid us off. My management team seems genuinely terrified by the pandemic. They are concerned for our health, and the reality that if someone in the building tests positive, we've lost access to everything the station needs to stay on the air until it can be sterilized, IF there is a company available and willing to do that.
My wife's place doesn't have the equipment to have her work from home, so they are rotating telling people to take a paid day off. She got Wednesday off with pay,

We're retired, but our retirement account has already taken a huge hit, so we'll see.
DIL is working at home and good for now, but her job could be in jeopardy.
DS is good for now.......has to go in one day a week, the rest at home.
DD's retail store shut down, her tutoring job has gone virtual, but it has just a few hours......I am worried for her paying her bills.
She is also taking classes online, so hopefully that goes well

My spouse and I are likely to retain our jobs over the next few weeks because we are both in government services that are essential . After that,, I have no idea? My spouse is one of only a handful of people at his agency who have been willing or able to go onsite to work with the public. There are more in my agency that have been able to continue operations, including public contact, but they won't all be needed as we streamline our services. Government sectors will be starting layoffs and furloughs shortly because they are taking in reduced revenue and only running the most essential of services.

This is one of the biggest questions about the whole covid-19 situation -- what will be the economic cost to average working people?

An awful lot of people are going to be laid off temporarily, but the much more serious threat is what will happen if the closures and lockdowns last more than a couple of weeks. It's not just going to be people temporarily out of work; it's going to be their employers going out of business. And when businesses start closing, you get a big ripple effect as their suppliers lose business, etc.

Personally, we are okay because I am retired, DW retires at the end of this month, and we're in good shape financially. But I'm concerned about my adult daughters and their families.

I’m a public school teacher, so I will be ok. Dh is an underwriter. We are hopeful his job is secure for the time being. He has experience in other areas of banking, so we are thankful for that.

I think we will weather this. I’m in public accounting as well and ultimately, tax returns still need to be filed. The compliance side will be leaner but still needed. I do worry about consulting and other services that can be delayed.

I’m more concerned about my mental health right now. I am not doing well with working from home with a 4 year old. And to be honest, I could power through if this is for 1 or 2 months. But it’s likely to be at least 6 months, and I just don’t think I have it in me.

Our company may be doing 60- day furloughs directly related to business Drop-offs, but I think I will be ok. We expect DH to also have a job disruption, just not sure what form it will take (temporary or permanent).

We were going to get a new roof this summer, but as of right now, are looking to keep that money, until we have a better understanding of our exact needs over the next couple of months.

Good Luck to all!

Yes, thankfully. Our company went to mandatory work from home for all who can last week. They have been amazing...all these new benefit plans released to cover anything relating to this virus. The flexibility has been incredible.

Dhs job has been deemed essential...banking...so he is still going in 40+ hours a week. Sounds like they might go to split shifts starting next week.

DH's job has been categorized as life-sustaining, so he has work unless we reach a point where they change their mind about that. We have funds to keep us going for some time without him working, but my bigger concern would be that his company might not be able to bounce back, and having made it through a virus related unemployment period he finds he doesn't have a company to return to. 😕

So for now we send him off each day and hope he doesn't get sick. And if things change, we feel relief that he's no longer having contact with other people, but we worry about the company's ability to bounce back. There's not any no-worry zones with the current situation, that's for sure.

Well we have 6 months unemployment. Hopefully it only lasts a month or whatever. New Jersey shutting down tonight at 9pm only essential workers will be allowed to work. I’m not essential wife is. I’m guessing I will have to send my employer a check for health, vision,and dental insurance.

Yes. I work for an essential government service and am still working. We have made adjustments to the way we are doing things, reducing contact with the general public, and putting off things that can be.

My second job has been iffy for the past two years and may or may not survive but more likely I will be laid off (again) until things improve.

I’m in NJ and we are shutdown to non essential. I work in healthcare at a major hospital so I’m ok. But I work in an Admin setting and we are slow since everything elective and non urgent is being postponed. There’s still work and they could mobilize us to other areas like our many covid testing clinics we are opening. I can also work from home since I work in an admin area.

My SO works in PA, which is also shutdown. His job is for a health insurance company which is life sustaining so he’s ok. He can work from home.

But to me I’ll never feel fully secure. So much uncertainty right now.

Last edited:
Yes, thankfully. Our company went to mandatory work from home for all who can last week. They have been amazing...all these new benefit plans released to cover anything relating to this virus. The flexibility has been incredible.
We've actually had the opposite employer approach -- for my wife (who retires in 10 calendar days), and also for one of my grandaughters, who is just starting her career.

My wife works for a large police department, but she's a civilian and in a position that could not possibly be considered "essential." She could easily work from home. But the police department itself is essential, so everybody has to physically report for work. She was told she could use her leave time (which she will be paid for in a couple of weeks) if she wants -- just plain stupid...and will be remembered when they come begging for help because the half-dozen people who are assuming her responsibilities can't do the work.

My grandaughter works in the headquarters of a huge, very well-known company in the marketing area. All of their headquarters personnel have been told that they must physically come to work "...in solidarity" with the employees who work in their retail stores. Again, she could easily do her job from home -- but no, gotta have that solidarity the store employees aren't even aware of. Again stupid management.

My company is considered essential. We make several products used in the test kits. That said, I’ve worked 70 hours this week because several of my employees are either immunocompromised or care for high risk people. I’ve been doing the job of three of my direct reports. I don’t really know if I can keep this up if the situation lasts for several weeks. My job is secure but it’s a struggle.

I too am incredibly non-essential as I work as a non-employee consultant, and yet they call me nearly EVERY SINGLE DAY to look at "low probably of Covid-19" cases. I go because I have to pay for my own healthcare. The compensation for this job hasn't increased in over 40 years. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter