Will you be ok jobwise with this nightmare?

We are very fortunate that my dh has a job that is secure and necessary in this environment. I am a substitute teacher so won’t be working but my earnings are basically treated as “extra” so we will be ok.

Same as you. We can do without my "fluff" income, and DH's job was partly from home to begin with, so he already had a good set-up and will be able to continue that way.

I'm very thankful for that, and torn on the best way to help others - stay home as much as possible or support local businesses still doing things like take-out, so they don't have to lay people off?

I think I will be okay. I am currently working from home for a university and was recently hired to start at a new university. My proposed start date is 4/20, but we will see if that changes with new information.

I am on employment support allowance so am at home all the time but my mummy and daddy and two sisters work we just take it one day at a time.

Dh is considered essential. He received special paperwork from his company earlier in the week he’s to keep on him in the event of a lockdown.

We own a business and I’m full time there. Everything is changing daily so who knows what next week will bring.

DH is, I think, considered essential. So we should continue to get his check and benefits. The small business we have is going to take huge...HUGE hit. We own a horse farm, and while we will continue to get paid for the boarding service we offer, it is likely that my riding lesson portion of the business is going to get shut down either by a federal proclamation or by the loss of customers who can't afford luxuries like that anymore. It is the lionshare of our business income.

I'm very worried.

My husband co-owns a business that operates in a very volatile industry (oil and gas) so we've always kept a much larger than normal amount of money in an emergency fund. It's never been an "if" we'll need it. It's always been a "when" we'll need it.

We are worried about how much longer we can afford to keep the doors open for safety reasons. Right now they are slammed with orders from China of all places. They are a manufacturing facility so a large percentage of employees have to go in to work. They are trying to have as many as possible work from home but that still leaves plenty in the office. They're looking to stagger shifts and spread out the workers physically as much as possible. They don't want anyone to get sick but they can't afford to continue to pay everyone indefinitely if they have to shut down manufacturing. My husband and his business partner are stuck in a no-win situation and it's causing many sleepless nights.

I'm semi-retired and may soon be just plain vanilla retired. The loss of funds wont affect my finances but it will my sense of self; I enjoy working so if this continues perhaps I'll volunteer for a museum.
The man is completely retired so no problem there.

I'm considering changing the locale of part of DGD's college fund as I'm worried about inflation.

My DH works in healthcare, so I am guessing that will be even more in demand. Myself, I should be OK. At least for a while. People have borrowed a lot of money for a lot of things. The large part of what I do is to make sure that our liens are perfected or UCC's are filed. It will be vital that these interests are secured on our collateral because of the likelihood of repossessions due to financial circumstances. However, the amount of loans we probably won't be making will greatly reduce the need for me on the horizon. Also, GM for example is offering those 0% interest rates loans that will also reduce the amount of loans we are making. I should be OK for the foreseeable future, but there are no guarantees.

DH is, I think, considered essential. So we should continue to get his check and benefits. The small business we have is going to take huge...HUGE hit. We own a horse farm, and while we will continue to get paid for the boarding service we offer, it is likely that my riding lesson portion of the business is going to get shut down either by a federal proclamation or by the loss of customers who can't afford luxuries like that anymore. It is the lionshare of our business income.

I'm very worried.
I’m so sorry. Sending positive wishes your way!

We are blessed. I have a job in which the move to remote work went very smoothly. DH has National Guard retirement, and was supplementing through substitute teaching. He had a long-term sub contract through the end of the year with a local school district, and they told him that they are going to honor the contract, which was unexpected.

We're cash-flowing DD's college, and should get some money back from housing -- they're closed through the end of the school year.

My heart breaks for everyone struggling.

I've been teleworking for a few years and telework has been strongly encouraged to all staff in our agency, so my job is ok. My husband is considered essential, so there won't be any loss on his side.

Yes, thankfully. Husband is active duty military. Was trying to retire later this year and move to civilian employment. However, a bunch of roadblocks were put up that led to his retirement not getting approved in a timely manner, and in the meantime, he got offered orders in this same area for another 2-3 years so he decided to accept them.

I am not a religious or superstitious person at ALL, but the way this played out really does smack of some type of really lucky twist of fate. Had his retirement been approved, we'd be facing a VERY different situation right now, and I would be stressed beyond belief.

I will be, but my fiancé has already been laid off. His company said they’ll bring them all back once business starts up again, but this is really bad timing for us. His income is significantly more than mine, he literally just passed his union plumbing exam a month ago, and we were planning on buying a house this summer. Guess our parents are going to have to deal with us staying home longer or we’re going to have to rent again, so hopefully this doesn’t cause rent to go even higher.

I honestly don’t know. My company had a big round of layoffs earlier this year before the whole thing started. We have about a week left before the items we can do from home are done. At that point I don’t know if we will be asked to use PTO to get paid or just let go. I am in better shape than most, with no debt and some savings, but my coworkers are mostly paycheck to paycheck, so I am hoping we can hold on. Unemployment here was reduced to three months a few years ago, so that won’t be much help either (Used to be six months).

I hope so, just started my job in a marketing firm in October after working 13 years for a non-profit. I’m one of the newer employees and if we lose any clients, my responsibilities could be absorbed by other employees. I carry the insurance for me and DD17, and that scares me.

I was busy before and I'm staying busy now with no slow down in sight in the immediate future.
I work in transportation and logistics. :wave2:

I am a school administrator and am on medical leave this entire school year due to medical treatment. Because I was only at my new school for six weeks prior to my diagnosis, I did not qualify for paid leave or disability, thus no income for this entire academic year. I landed an at home job scoring state standardized exams in CA, but I have a feeling the state exams will be canceled and no scoring position. Sigh. I am also very close to retirement and a saddened by the state of my 401k.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter