• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will door bells on back doors make a comeback?

Will door bells on back doors become a thing/make a comeback?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Never heard of door bells on the back door

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • My Ring camera at the front door is enough security for me

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don't have anything delivered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a back door

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
My parent's house was built in 1960. It had a door bell at both the front and back door, each with it's own sound. In the early 1960's many people had milk/dairy products delivered in our area, direct from the dairy, so door bells on the back door were common.
With home delivery of everything much more common since the pandemic started, and seeming to be with us beyond the pandemic, will back door door bells make a comeback, especially to help deter porch pirates?

We don't have a back door that is accessible to people. It's behind a cement wall with a locked gate.

grew up in a house built in the 1920's. Back door (really side door) did not have a doorbell. Neither did my grandparent's house of roughly the same vintage

Perhaps.

Several neighborhoods being built around here have shifted the focus of the house as far as the neighborhood is concerned to the back door. The owner parking is all located on alleyways behind the homes while the streets out front are reserved for guests.

Neighbors on the same alleyway would probably go to the back door of a neighbor while neighbors on different alleyways would probably go to the front door of a neighbor just because walking around would take longer.

I voted no because it's not common in my area, but we do have a Ring on the back door because our packages mostly go there.

Wow. I haven't thought about a back door doorbell in years.
My parents house (built in the early 70's) had one.
Our friends used it all the time. Us kids weren't allowed to use the front door back in those days. lol.

Why would I want anything delivered to my back door? It’s in the back, on my deck, with a direct line of sight into my house via sliding glass doors. I don’t want strangers on my deck or in my backyard.

Deliveries are left on my front porch or outside my garage door if the delivery person drives up my driveway.

Never had a back doorbell or known anyone that had or has one.
Our backyard is behind a gate. I don't like the idea of people going to a backdoor
But, the front door bell rings in the back yard.

As a child we had milk delivered and it was delivered at the front door

You'd set off my motion sensors so you'd never be back there, hehe. But technology has made this easier. A lot of doorbells are just wireless now, and it's easy to add multiple doors with different sounds or whatever. My parents have one on a side door, and they just threw in a wireless one instead of getting it all wired.

Why would I want anything delivered to my back door? It’s in the back, on my deck, with a direct line of sight into my house via sliding glass doors. I don’t want strangers on my deck or in my backyard.

Deliveries are left on my front porch or outside my garage door if the delivery person drives up my driveway.
I get what you are saying. Which is why I don't understand why so many newer homes here have glass in the front doors. Clear glass with no covering so you can see right into the house from the street.
Some of my neighbors when they have deliveries specify where packages are to be left.....front step.......behind a gate.......or on the back porch. I would think however, leaving a package somewhere out of sight from the street would reduce the incidents of porch pirates stealing the package.

My house was built in 1960. No door bell. My grandparents house’s both prob built before 1950 never a door bell. We always entered grandpas house from the back door no door bell. Knock once and enter Maybe a queens New York thing Circa 1970’s

My company builds 300 houses a year. Our standard specification (which is local building code) is for two doorbells per house and yes, each has its own ring tone. If the houes has 3 entry doors (often they have a side entry into the basement stairwell), the customer can choose where they want the second one, or upgrade to a third.

My parents house had a back doorbell. It had a different tone from the front door. My mom had the neighbor disconnect it because it shorted out and made a constant buzzing sound.

Our back door is not easily accessible. We have a wooden fence.

A person would be trespassing to come in our backyard.

Most homes in our region are this way.
Yes same here. If someone was at my back door I would call the police 🤣!

Have never had a "back doorbell." The back door was a sliding glass door and did not have a doorbell. However, the house I grew up in did have one on the side door (closest to the garage/driveway) in addition to the front door. As you mentioned, they had different tones so you knew which was ringing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter