Will a walkway be maintained from the Disneyland Hotel to Downtown Disney during construction?

optima599

Earning My Ears
My family and I are planning a trip to Disneyland during the early spring of 2019 (before Galaxies edge opens) and we are planning on staying at the Disneyland Hotel as we always do. With the new hotel construction to begin between the Disneyland Hotel and Downtown Disney, does any know if there will be a temporary walkway maintained to Downtown Disney (and the parks)? I fear there will not be a walled walkway through the construction and even the Disneyland Hotel placing their guests on a bus or tram to the parks. Thank you in advance for any info or opinions.

They will have everything planned out to me the guests needs. They plan and build very well.

Jack

Nobody knows. No one. Unfortunately you will not have concrete information on what Disney will do until they actually do it.

What we know: you will be able to get to the parks

What we don’t know: how

My family and I are planning a trip to Disneyland during the early spring of 2019 (before Galaxies edge opens) and we are planning on staying at the Disneyland Hotel as we always do. With the new hotel construction to begin between the Disneyland Hotel and Downtown Disney, does any know if there will be a temporary walkway maintained to Downtown Disney (and the parks)? I fear there will not be a walled walkway through the construction and even the Disneyland Hotel placing their guests on a bus or tram to the parks. Thank you in advance for any info or opinions.
Both DLH and PPH hotel guests enter through the west end of DTD to get to the parks.
I'd expect Disney to have a walk way with walls up through the same area as they do now.
The artist view of the project will give you an idea of how Disney might wall it off.
With the walls moving as the project is completed.

2018-07-12 001.JPG

Both DLH and PPH hotel guests enter through the west end of DTD to get to the parks.
I'd expect Disney to have a walk way with walls up through the same area as they do now.
The artist view of the project will give you an idea of how Disney might wall it off.
With the walls moving as the project is completed.

View attachment 336574

That seems likely, as it would have the most minimal negative impact on hotel guests - keeping the walking distance fairly similar to how it is today. Hopefully they'll be able to do that.

Ugh, this photo shows how much farther PP guests have to walk once we were shut out of the GC entrances. :( I am staying at PP in October this year, it will be interesting.

Ugh, this photo shows how much farther PP guests have to walk once we were shut out of the GC entrances. :( I am staying at PP in October this year, it will be interesting.

It's really too bad that they got rid of the old dedicated PP entrance.

I will be surprised if Disney doesn't bus/move hotel guests to Harbor entrance, or have a major walk around because I can't see a walkway being left open during new construction of hotels. Too risky for visitors.

It's really not that bad. And it's the way we were always supposed to go; it's what was signed.

Way back when I mapped it out using mapmyrun. The signed route from PPH to the center of the esplanade is .63 mile. The route from PPH to and through GCH, through DTD, and to the center of the esplanade is .47 mile. Given that I generally walk about a half marathon every day that I'm at Disneyland, an extra .16 mile isn't THAT huge.

Now, I did *feel* like it should be shorter, so much so that when we moved to HoJo on the second part of our first proper trip (back in '07) I LOVED the walk from HoJo. But it's not actually that much different.

It's just emotionally irritating that they would shut that off to onsite guests. Grr.

Wow, flash from the past. I never even encountered that, though it was in the current-at-the-time-but-already-outdated guidebooks when I was planning our first proper trip for Fall 2007!

As a PPH regular, in reality it only adds 3 min to a one way walk to the average able bodied adult. That time is more than made up with the removal of the Security checkpoint that was between DTD and the esplanade. It is a win in my book.

While PPH will not get a gate, it has been little publicized but there is a new "garden" that is supposed to connect all four resort hotels. While complete speculation, if you look at the proposed layout and concept art a new direct path for PPH to DTD is likely.

I will be surprised if Disney doesn't bus/move hotel guests to Harbor entrance, or have a major walk around because I can't see a walkway being left open during new construction of hotels. Too risky for visitors.
I bet they will maintain a safe walkway in the current location as long as they can. Once it comes time to construct the facility immediately surrounding where the original walkway is, they will probably build another makeshift walkway to use for the month or so needed to wrap up the project. Just a guess.

I bet they will maintain a safe walkway in the current location as long as they can. Once it comes time to construct the facility immediately surrounding where the original walkway is, they will probably build another makeshift walkway to use for the month or so needed to wrap up the project. Just a guess.

The only way I see them not closing down everything there is if they build the hotel buildings in stages/phases. The size and amount of huge equipment, trucks, etc, as well as workers moving from one structure to another to work, putting a walkway for guests in the middle of that would slow down construction as well as put workers and visitors in a risky situation. It would be nice if they do figure out a favorable way to move hotel guests from their hotel to the gates quickly.

During part of the construction, I could see the walled walkways like people have been suggesting, but when laying the foundations and doing the heavy work like putting up walls and anything involving cranes that could drop something on people, they'll have to find another way. I would imagine it's possible that for some of the time, guests will have to use a bus or tram to get into the esplanade from the hotels. I'm hoping this involves a security checkpoint somewhere at each hotel and direct access via tram without having to visit the already overly crowded eastern security lines, but I'm not sure how that'd work either.

There are two options: a walkway that's here for x period of days and there for x period of days (they have to re-work the entire area, any walkway will have to move at some point) or no walkway and an alternative walkway/tram while they rebuild the walkway portion of the construction site. I'm sure (ok, fine, I HOPE) they are thinking this through thoroughly so those staying PP and DLH still have decent options that don't involve a crazy long walk to the parks...

During part of the construction, I could see the walled walkways like people have been suggesting, but when laying the foundations and doing the heavy work like putting up walls and anything involving cranes that could drop something on people, they'll have to find another way. I would imagine it's possible that for some of the time, guests will have to use a bus or tram to get into the esplanade from the hotels. I'm hoping this involves a security checkpoint somewhere at each hotel and direct access via tram without having to visit the already overly crowded eastern security lines, but I'm not sure how that'd work either.
I wonder what their tram situation looks like for them, do they have enough trams to spare to run some from a checkpoint at the DLH?

Harbor entrance?! That thing already becomes an unmanageable zoo for them at random times, I see no reason they'd go to the effort to bus hotel visitors all the way to Harbor. (Which would also basically serve as the world's biggest ad for "don't you wish you'd paid 75% less and stayed right there across the street?" No, they need to keep hotel guests in the bubble as much as they can.)

Harbor entrance?! That thing already becomes an unmanageable zoo for them at random times, I see no reason they'd go to the effort to bus hotel visitors all the way to Harbor. (Which would also basically serve as the world's biggest ad for "don't you wish you'd paid 75% less and stayed right there across the street?" No, they need to keep hotel guests in the bubble as much as they can.)

I know, but, with Disney, their bottom line is what matters and if they can get away with it for a while, I believe they will. I think they will inflate GCH rates so high during this time too. I think if they get a couple of trams and run them from the two hotels and perhaps Disney will have a scenic route around the construction to drop them off in DTD. If they do that, having everyone show their room key they could screen everyone prior loading the tram.

I know, but, with Disney, their bottom line is what matters and if they can get away with it for a while, I believe they will. I think they will inflate GCH rates so high during this time too. If they open the GCH to the
Well now I'm being held in suspense! Open to the what?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter