Why would you take your cat on Holiday?

I would never bring my cats on vacation, but I have mixed moves and vacation before--then the cats obviously came along, staying in hotels along the way.

DW brings her cat but it only requires feeding it sausage once in a while. :rolleyes:

I wonder if pets are only allowed in certain rooms? And how do they maintain the hygiene eg carpet cleaning etc. If I even got the faintest whiff of a previous guest's cats or dogs "indiscretions" :rolleyes: I wouldn't be that happy!

pets are allowed on the first floor rooms in the hotel.
you are required to show vaccination info before you are allowed to have your pet with you in the hotel.

if you have a dog in your room, it has to be crated and you need to make arrangements for housekeeping staff to enter the room.
if the dog is not in the cage/crate when housekeeping enters, they leave immediately.

and there is a pet deposit fee that has to be paid when you checkin.

if pet causes any issues, you are not allowed to stay at the hotel.

now for cats, guess the rules would be similar.
i can't imagine a cat staying in the room in a travel cage very long each day while the owner is in the parks.

the policy and rules for having a pet at the Loews hotels is listed on the UO website.

I refuse to even take my cat to the vet anymore let alone on vacation. He never goes outside so I don't think he could catch anything to even need a vaccine. Last time it was a fight to get him in kennel then he was so scared he peed. When we came home he literally stayed under my daughters bed for a month. No way would I take him anywhere.

Many years ago before dh & I were married, we took a trip to Aruba. We were new in our house and didn't know any neighbors well enough to cat sit for us so I brought him to my sister's house. He refused to eat for a few days and after we all came home he pooped on our bed.

When I talked to the vet about it, he said this: It was done out of spite/revenge. Cats are happy at home and don't mind so much who's taking care of them. Dogs love their owners and are happiest when they're with their owner, wherever that may be.
From that point on we didn't go away unless someone could come and cat sit. We've since moved from where we lived back then and after chatting with my next door neighbor about cats, we realized we both have been inconveniencing our family members to drive over daily to cat sit when really we should just cat sit for each other. It's much easier to me to walk over than to have her sister drive 30 mins or my mom to drive 15 mins.
It's worked out well over the years. :goodvibes

I refuse to even take my cat to the vet anymore let alone on vacation. He never goes outside so I don't think he could catch anything to even need a vaccine. Last time it was a fight to get him in kennel then he was so scared he peed. When we came home he literally stayed under my daughters bed for a month. No way would I take him anywhere.
Well, it is possible for your cat to get fleas (if you live in an area that has them). I thought my indoor cat couldn't get them and when I returned home one year from my vacation she was all matted (tummy area) and was covered in fleas. I quickly took her into the vet for a flea shot and a pill (Capstar) which kills all adult fleas on her within minutes. I asked the vet and was told that a flea(s) could have come in on someone's clothes/shoes.

I now take her twice a year for flea shots, any other vaccines take place at the same time as it is torture for her in the car.

I'm loving all these replied. :) In the process of moving house and having your cat with you was one I hadn't thought about.

I don't think I'd personally bring the cat along with me, like ruadisneyfan2 says, I think my cats would have been more happy staying at home with the neighbors popping in for feeds and fuss.

I know they might be a bit lonely but two weeks of their life isn't the end of the world.

Well, it is possible for your cat to get fleas (if you live in an area that has them). I thought my indoor cat couldn't get them and when I returned home one year from my vacation she was all matted (tummy area) and was covered in fleas. I quickly took her into the vet for a flea shot and a pill (Capstar) which kills all adult fleas on her within minutes. I asked the vet and was told that a flea(s) could have come in on someone's clothes/shoes.

I now take her twice a year for flea shots, any other vaccines take place at the same time as it is torture for her in the car.

Yes it sure is. My little cat is an indoor kitty and a month ago I found out she had fleas again. Back to the vet I went for flea medication. I will have to do this for three months. I don't know where they come from. Maybe they come under the cracks on the door. Who knows?

I haven't had a cat that enjoyed car trips in any way, but as with anything I suspect if they get used to traveling they probably don't mind.

I guess I don't see bringing a cat as being any different than. Ringing a dog. I wouldn't take my dog with me so I wouldn't take the cat either. It's nice to know, though, if you need to bring your cat that you can.

That's all very awesome!

However I'm still wondering why someone would want to take their cat away with them.

I understand maybe they couldn't find or didn't want their cat in a cattery.
Do cats have to stay in the room the whole time?

Both my cats hated new places so it might be a bit unsettling for them to be in a hotel room. However it would still be better than a cattery.

Some people traveling with pets might not be on vaction, they might be in transit while moving. A short stop along the way at a nice resort on the way during a long distance move might be unavoidable.

I always find the pet friendly hotels when taking the dogs. Ours have all the protection from fleas. Not all hotels bring in professional carpet cleaners. But the hotels I have stayed in I have not had a hint of dogs being in the room. Each hotel has their own way of dealing with the issues. We have a carpet cleaning business and we hear all the issues from people having pets.

I do have a friend who sometimes takes her cats with them on short trips but only when they are driving to their destination. One of the cats is diabetic and requires daily insulin injections so having a pet sitter isn't a good option. When she and her BF are flying, her vet offers a boarding service but I guess it's pretty costly so she skips it and takes them with her whenever she can.

LOL I like the idea of bringing a cat but no.... no. Haha imagine losing your cat at a Universal hotel! :laughing:

Macraven - or anyone else who knows - you said first floor rooms only. Does that mean we need to request a room not on the first floor if we don't have pets? One of my children is allergic to cats and dogs - not dangerously so - but enough that he'll have trouble sleeping. We've stayed at RPR several times and never had any issues - but I never thought to ask. (And don't remember what rooms we had, but I don't think we were ever on the first floor).

When I talked to the vet about it, he said this: It was done out of spite/revenge. Cats are happy at home and don't mind so much who's taking care of them. Dogs love their owners and are happiest when they're with their owner, wherever that may be.

We had a cat who did not get that memo. We went to visit relatives and were gone for almost a week. One of our two cats hadn't quite liked it when baby came home - nothing mean, just didn't like the baby. The baby was about 6 months old when we took the trip. We came back to find that the cats had pooped and peed all over the place - JUST in the baby's room. I'm not sure he would have been happy with us in a strange place either. But he certainly wasn't happy that we left him and took the baby person with us.

DW brings her cat but it only requires feeding it sausage once in a while. :rolleyes:

:oops:o_O Whhahahttttt hahahahhahah Sir this is a family board.

We've had to stay at a local hotel with our four cats when our apartment was being treated for bedbugs-- we did this overnight probably 4 or 5 times. Honestly? They hated the car but loved the hotel room. Three out of the four really enjoyed exploring it, and the fourth was agnostic about it. I think if a cat likes to or doesn't mind traveling (some don't? maybe?) then they do better in a hotel room left alone all day than a dog does by far. It's like the opposite problem that you have with traveling with your dog.

Macraven - or anyone else who knows - you said first floor rooms only. Does that mean we need to request a room not on the first floor if we don't have pets? One of my children is allergic to cats and dogs - not dangerously so - but enough that he'll have trouble sleeping. We've stayed at RPR several times and never had any issues - but I never thought to ask. (And don't remember what rooms we had, but I don't think we were ever on the first floor).

The pet rooms are tower 2 first floor. But if you have any animal allergies just call and tell them so they can place you properly.

What about at Hard Rock? Are the pet rooms the first floor there? We are staying in a garden view room next week. I am allergic to dogs, also not a major problem, but enough that I would be uncomfortable. I thought a first floor room would be great to avoid the elevators, but I don't want a room that had pets in it.

i have not stayed at hrh in about 5 years but there were two times, two different stays in one year that dogs were on the 6th floor when i was.
i asked about this at the lobby desk and was told at that time, they have allowed animals on other floors other than the first floor.

i have no idea how their policies are now.
since they are not Loews hotels, really not sure.

best if you call the hotel direct and talk to a supervisor or front end manager at the check in desk.

i have a dog allergy also so i'm careful when i book

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter