Why is OKW only DVC studio with 2 Queen Beds?

goofy4tink said:
But that's what makes the studios attractive to so many. They don't want two beds!! If there are just two people staying in that room, they have a lot more room with the sofa bed in it! Some of us think that sofa bed model is wonderful. I also have to wonder if it really is cost effective to have a sofa bed instead of beds in rooms that are being used by families? I have to think that sofa beds cost more than a mattress and box spring. But I could very well be wrong.
Here's the thing...I don't think you can comfortably sleep 4 (at least more than 3 adults) in any value or moderate room! I really think most rooms are built with 2 adults and 2 kids in mind...kids under the age of 15 or so.
If you have more than 3 adults, and you want to stay DVC? You are better off moving up to a one bedroom villa. I think the studios work very well for 3 or fewer people.

I think we are saying same thing, 3 or fewer guests studio is fine. I don't think anyone would prefer to sleep on a sofa bed though, and sleeping is what you spend most of your time in a room doing right?

But that's what makes the studios attractive to so many. They don't want two beds!! If there are just two people staying in that room, they have a lot more room with the sofa bed in it! Some of us think that sofa bed model is wonderful. I also have to wonder if it really is cost effective to have a sofa bed instead of beds in rooms that are being used by families? I have to think that sofa beds cost more than a mattress and box spring. But I could very well be wrong.
Here's the thing...I don't think you can comfortably sleep 4 (at least more than 3 adults) in any value or moderate room! I really think most rooms are built with 2 adults and 2 kids in mind...kids under the age of 15 or so.
If you have more than 3 adults, and you want to stay DVC? You are better off moving up to a one bedroom villa. I think the studios work very well for 3 or fewer people.

Even the one bedrooms have one bed/sofa bed. We'd have to book a 2 bedroom to get 2 queen beds at any DVC resort other than OKW. That's why it bothers me. We want to maximize our points and go every year...studios match our points however hate that we are limited to OKW if we want to all (family 4) sleep in beds.

I think it's a safe bet to say its about economics as previous poster said, you can sell more points by making studios smaller and providing only one real bed. If the sofa bed model were really so great why don't you see a single cash resort room offer them? Its because most families dont want them. DVC sells less points if you could comfortably sleep 4 in studio.

Good point! Agreed.

They are not going to change existing resorts because there isn't enough room to replace a double sofa with a queen bed.

And even if there were room, it would create yet another booking category, further limiting overall availability. Studios at any resort really need to be consistent throughout that resort. An exception might be if they made a few "inn rooms" at all the resorts, taking a regular cash room and converting it to DVC and selling points...similar to the inn rooms at Vero Beach (though at Vero, the resort is ALL DVC, it is not a strictly cash resort connected to a DVC component.)

We actually preferred the bed/sofabed setup because it seems more like a small apartment and less like a hotel room.
exactly that :thumbsup2

But that's what makes the studios attractive to so many. They don't want two beds!! If there are just two people staying in that room, they have a lot more room with the sofa bed in it! Some of us think that sofa bed model is wonderful.

ditto again :)
if all the studios had 2 beds, we probably would have sold our points already- the sofabed in a studio makes it feel like home. eating/drinking, conversing, and watching TV while sitting on a bed is something we would do consider if we were horribly sick - not the way we want to feel on vacation. even when we travel elsewhere for more than a night or two, the rooms must have a sitting area of some sort.
we do spend time in our DVC studios, only book them when are a party of 2 or less, and find the new sofabeds comfy.
i think it makes more sense to have the option of 2 full-size beds (yes, i know full-size is pretty small, and it would still be tight) in 1bdrms, in place of the king, where parties of 4 are more likely to stay.

We're another family that prefers the couch/bed setup in studios. Our child sleeps easily in the sofa bed, and it makes it SO MUCH NICER to have a sofa to sit on during the day.

I feel it's safe to say they are never going to change it.

For me, I look at this way. When referring to accomodations, the term "Studio" or "Efficiency" typically refers to a unit, whether it is a short or extended stay unit, as a unit with a small sleeping area, a small living area, and a small kitchenette/eating area, and a bathroom.

From Websters.com...

"A small apartment consisting typically of a combined living room and bedroom area, a bathroom, and a kitchenette."

When thinking about it that way, then OKW "Studio" units do not fit the definition of a "Studio" as there is no "living area". Plus a "Villa" accomodation implies that there is some sort of a living area. No offense intended, but if someone wants a single room unit with two beds and no sofa, by definition that is not really a "studio", or a "villa", and there are thousands of such rooms available at WDW at all price points. I can only hope that a DVC member would not buy in expecting that the studio units would someday all have two beds, I just do not see it happening.

I totally agree with you and it's the reason we never were interested in DVC even after years of going to WDW, until we got where we wanted two bathrooms and two bedrooms.

I personally would never buy DVC for studios for this very reason. We don't sleep on the sofa at home and I have no desire to do so on vacation.

I totally agree. If I wanted to stay in a hotel room, I wouldn't buy a timeshare. To me timeshare means something that at least has some of the amenities of home, and a studio doesn't fit that mold.

For me, I look at this way. When referring to accomodations, the term "Studio" or "Efficiency" typically refers to a unit, whether it is a short or extended stay unit, as a unit with a small sleeping area, a small living area, and a small kitchenette/eating area, and a bathroom.

From Websters.com...

"A small apartment consisting typically of a combined living room and bedroom area, a bathroom, and a kitchenette."

When thinking about it that way, then OKW "Studio" units do not fit the definition of a "Studio" as there is no "living area". Plus a "Villa" accomodation implies that there is some sort of a living area. No offense intended, but if someone wants a single room unit with two beds and no sofa, by definition that is not really a "studio", or a "villa", and there are thousands of such rooms available at WDW at all price points. I can only hope that a DVC member would not buy in expecting that the studio units would someday all have two beds, I just do not see it happening.

Sure, OKW has a small living area, it's called the table and chairs. And there is a nice porch area, plus the kitchenette.

From Websters.com...

exactly that. OKW studios are a great option for those with 4 guests who don't mind the lack of a living area; personally, we only book OKW 1bdrm or larger because of it.

Sure, OKW has a small living area, it's called the table and chairs. And there is a nice porch area, plus the kitchenette.
"living room" as per oxford dictionary:):
a room in a house where people sit together, watch television, etc.

a table and two chairs are usually considered an eating area (which the other studios also have, as well as the porch/balcony & kitchenette). i don't know of anyone, even those in tiny manhattan studios or college apartments, that only have a table & 2 chairs in lieu of a futon, sofabed, or some sort of "plush" seating (bottom and back).

Living space is not a priority since we aren't in the room much. A good nights sleep in a comfortable bed is, so we can hit the parks without back pain. I still prefer 2 reg beds even in a one BR. Also buying into DVC was an investment whether it was hotel rm feel or not didn't sway my decision.

Living space is not a priority since we aren't in the room much. A good nights sleep in a comfortable bed is, so we can hit the parks without back pain. I still prefer 2 reg beds even in a one BR. Also buying into DVC was an investment whether it was hotel rm feel or not didn't sway my decision.

Things typically change when you are DVC members. You spend more and more time at the resort, and less at the parks.

I've never had trouble sleeping on the sofa beds at Disney. At least one time, they were more comfortable than the OKW King bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter