Why is OKW only DVC studio with 2 Queen Beds?

Mary7116

Mouseketeer
Trying to understand why Disney doesn't offer more DVC studios with 2 Queen Beds instead of one queen bed & sofa bed. Grrr Even the new Floridian DVC Studios have sofa beds. Makes me think they want us to upgrade and use more points. Sofa beds are not comfortable.

Trying to understand why Disney doesn't offer more DVC studios with 2 Queen Beds instead of one queen bed & sofa bed. Grrr Even the new Floridian DVC Studios have sofa beds. Makes me think they want us to upgrade and use more points. Sofa beds are not comfortable.

OKW is the only studio at WDW that has two queen beds. After they built OKW, they realized they could shrink the space and put in one queen and one double sleeper sofa.

Mary7116 said:

I agree. But even if you 'upgrade' to a 1 bedroom you still only get 1 real bed. That frustrates me. We have 4 kids now and always go for a 2 bedroom, but even when we only had 3 kids we didn't stay in 1 bedrooms because I wanted them in real beds.

We find the sofa beds at BCV very comfortable...BLT is a three piece mattress, adult daughter was too tired to notice how comfiest it was, it was only one night there!

Because......... The original DVC, later changed to OKW, since it was copied is better than the knockoffs that followed.

Honestly I prefer the sofa bed. My kids are good sleepers so I don't really have to worry about what they sleep on.i like the sofa beds because I hate using the bed as furniture in a hotel room. Stayed two nights at OKW in April and while the bathroom was nice and big, I actually like folding up the sofa bed so we have a place to sit. We each have our preferences.

I agree. But even if you 'upgrade' to a 1 bedroom you still only get 1 real bed. That frustrates me. We have 4 kids now and always go for a 2 bedroom, but even when we only had 3 kids we didn't stay in 1 bedrooms because I wanted them in real beds.

At least in the newer resorts they added the sleeper chair or pulldown bed for the 1 bedrooms (also OKW).

I think their thought was that studios were more for couples or families with small children, they would use the queen bed and have more floor space with the sofa closed. It's nice to be able to sit and watch TV without sitting on a bed.

Besides room size, could be the cost or the majority of the people not wanting a second full bed.

:earsboy: Bill

The truth is none of us really know, DVC has never said to my knowledge. We can guess based on room size and/or usage flexibility but it's still a guess.

The truth is none of us really know, DVC has never said to my knowledge. We can guess based on room size and/or usage flexibility but it's still a guess.

And at one of the annual meetings a few years ago, there was a member demanding that OKW convert to the bed and sofa studio format. :crazy2: So it is pretty popular. I love the OKW studios just as they are!

I only stay in a studio for solo trips. Many years ago DH and I stayed in studios. We actually preferred the bed/sofabed setup because it seems more like a small apartment and less like a hotel room. I do understand that some families would like 2 queens. Has anyone ever contacted Disney to see if another resort with studios/2 queens has been considered?

And at one of the annual meetings a few years ago, there was a member demanding that OKW convert to the bed and sofa studio format. :crazy2: So it is pretty popular. I love the OKW studios just as they are!

I know I'm not the only one who prefers 2 beds. Checking the message boards OKW studios are always recommended for the sole reason of the 2 beds. If only Disney would consider adding a few studios in each resort with 2 queen beds at least as an option. Pleaseee. I plan to contact DVC about this...maybe enough requests will change things.

Since we stay as a couple we prefer the sofa and bed combo ourselves. It makes it easier to have more of a living room area and I love having more places to sit than the bed. I can definitely see how other floor plans/furniture combos would work better for other size families but for us it works out just right.

We prefer the queen and sofa combo in most studios. We have been pretty successful getting OKW if we need the 2 real beds.

I know I'm not the only one who prefers 2 beds. Checking the message boards OKW studios are always recommended for the sole reason of the 2 beds. If only Disney would consider adding a few studios in each resort with 2 queen beds at least as an option. Pleaseee. I plan to contact DVC about this...maybe enough requests will change things.

They are not going to change existing resorts because there isn't enough room to replace a double sofa with a queen bed.

I totally agree with you and it's the reason we never were interested in DVC even after years of going to WDW, until we got where we wanted two bathrooms and two bedrooms.

I personally would never buy DVC for studios for this very reason. We don't sleep on the sofa at home and I have no desire to do so on vacation.

We've been members since 1991 and obviously bought when OKW was the one and only. There has always been 2 beds in the studio/second bedroom and I really really hope it stays that way. My family does not like sleeper sofas at all. There are enough other DVC resorts that have the 1 bed and sofa for those who prefer that. As others have said, and IMHO they changed the 2 bed when they built BWV so they could make the rooms smaller. Of course everyone has their own opinion, and that's how it should be, but for me and my family OKW is home for us, my kids sleep in real beds and from day one when we bought it's worked for us.

Enjoy The Magic!!

We usually book studios...even if it's the three of us...myself, dh and 19 y/o dd. Dd and I share the queen and dh takes the sofa bed. He has never had an issue with sleeping on it and his back isn't in the best of shape. Maybe that's because we've been lucky in recent years and stayed in studios with newer sleep sofas.
But in reality? I like the queen/sofa bed set up. It feels more like a true 'villa' vs two beds. I know that when my dd and I headed to WDW in late May/early June, we missed the extra room you get with a sofa bed. We stayed at AoA and Music and having two beds in one room was just a pain.
I guess there's something for everyone. It's not as if we didn't know about the studio set up before buying into DVC.

I think it's a safe bet to say its about economics as previous poster said, you can sell more points by making studios smaller and providing only one real bed. If the sofa bed model were really so great why don't you see a single cash resort room offer them? Its because most families dont want them. DVC sells less points if you could comfortably sleep 4 in studio.

I think it's a safe bet to say its about economics as previous poster said, you can sell more points by making studios smaller and providing only one real bed. If the sofa bed model were really so great why don't you see a single cash resort room offer them? Its because most families dont want them. DVC sells less points if you could comfortably sleep 4 in studio.

But that's what makes the studios attractive to so many. They don't want two beds!! If there are just two people staying in that room, they have a lot more room with the sofa bed in it! Some of us think that sofa bed model is wonderful. I also have to wonder if it really is cost effective to have a sofa bed instead of beds in rooms that are being used by families? I have to think that sofa beds cost more than a mattress and box spring. But I could very well be wrong.
Here's the thing...I don't think you can comfortably sleep 4 (at least more than 3 adults) in any value or moderate room! I really think most rooms are built with 2 adults and 2 kids in mind...kids under the age of 15 or so.
If you have more than 3 adults, and you want to stay DVC? You are better off moving up to a one bedroom villa. I think the studios work very well for 3 or fewer people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter