• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why I'm not buying an annual pass and not going into the parks

Canadian Tom

DIS Veteran
Hello: We have two weeks booked for March and April next year and we've decide after being annual passholders for many year to forgo the passes and not enter the parks. We're displeased and shocked with what is happening with Disney World regarding genie plus and pay for the rides individually. Can I afford the cost, most definitely, but, the whole thing about paying extra to go on the attractions after paying the high park entry fee is insulting. I've watched the wait times for the major attractions for quite a while and appalled at the standby wait times. If I was a cynical person, I would say Disney is purposely making the standby wait times long in order to increase revenue. So, we plan to spend two weeks at BCV enjoy all the facilities and not go in the parks to stand in long lines. We'll find other things to do and enjoy eating and spending our dollars at some non-disney establishments. Thanks Disney for giving us the reason to try a non-park Disney holiday. Thanks Canadian Tom

I've been watching the wait times too and I've been surprised that the wait times for ILL attractions aren't higher in many cases. Disney has been inflating wait times for quite some time, it not forever. Guests don't complain when the wait time is less than was posted.

You're not paying extra to go on the attractions. You're paying for shorter wait times. Not unlike many other parks around the country including Universal.

I think you're missing out, but you do you. It would make me terribly sad to be steps from Epcot and not go in and wander the countries and booths at the very least.

I will say that as a frequent (biweekly, if not more often) visitor, the posted wait times are worthless so I hope you're not making all your decisions based on that. I felt bad for people paying for Genie+ when I was walking on things that they had paid for!

I actually think I like the Genie+ plan far better than FP+. Getting up at dawn to book rides 60+ days in advance and compete with others for it, months before a trip, stressed me out far more than deciding day of to buy Genie+ or not.

We’re going to Universal for the first time in January. The Express Passes are frightfully expensive- like $100/person per day! So, it’s not like Disney is suddenly gouging.

People hate change, and I get that. But not all changes are bad. The understaffing, the lack of parking lot trams, etc- that’s bad change. But Genie+ is really not all that big of a deal to me. I still have my AP. and I will still use it.

We rode Mickey & Minnie's twice in standby in the past two days and both times the wait time was significantly inflated.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing LL+ being used a lot on this trip, so your decision to not participate won't impact Disney's decision, because it seems that many people are buying it.

We purchased Genie+ yesterday, the parks were crazy - it really didn't help our morning at MK, since we were staying offsite. I won't buy it again and out of our 6 park days only used it for one MK/HS day.

Well op if you're gonna do a no park trip, what better place to do it than BCV! You got the beautiful SAB, the boardwalk, good restaurants within walking distance, catch the skyliner to other resorts, catch up on some reading, Disney Springs, see a movie or two. Boy, I'm jealous. I've been getting so fed with the parks over past few years. I'm not to the point you are yet, but I'm getting there. Next trip I'm going to tilt my time more towards the water parks than the theme parks. I have to admit though I'd be a little bummed staying at BCV and not walking to Epcot a couple times.

Last edited:
I always have automatically gone toWDW for final holiday weekend New Years Eve…This will be the last time for auto pilot.
I plan a new alternate with next year at Universal Studios and completely different by the third year. Go skiing ,maybe . or a summer trip / Cruise. Maybe stay home & vacation locally at beach …

Its your choice.
While totally different, we enjoyed our trips in April and October.
Despite all the changes, the parks were still crowded. Until that changes, I don't see any reason Disney will make a change.

I think you're missing out, but you do you. It would make me terribly sad to be steps from Epcot and not go in and wander the countries and booths at the very least.

I will say that as a frequent (biweekly, if not more often) visitor, the posted wait times are worthless so I hope you're not making all your decisions based on that. I felt bad for people paying for Genie+ when I was walking on things that they had paid for!

Went to disneyworld for the first time the last week of Oct and I honestly felt like epcot and Hollywood studios were really disappointing and we did them both in one day together. The food was horrible, that Chinese place Lotus something serves cold food and the one at the Japan pavilion basically serves Kirkland canned chicken with sauce and packaged roast beef with sauce and calls it teriyaki chicken and beef I wouldn't feed it to a dog it was so bad. Frozen was cool though, and three caballeros but definitely not worth a day ticket and barely worth hopping to.

We rode Mickey & Minnie's twice in standby in the past two days and both times the wait time was significantly inflated.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing LL+ being used a lot on this trip, so your decision to not participate won't impact Disney's decision, because it seems that many people are buying it.

We purchased Genie+ yesterday, the parks were crazy - it really didn't help our morning at MK, since we were staying offsite. I won't buy it again and out of our 6 park days only used it for one MK/HS day.
We used the DAS, free and no 1 ride cap like LL... I saw some rides the LL was the same as the regular line, I'd be pretty po'd if I paid for that lol.

If you’re that upset (& it’s fine to be upset-prices are skyrocketing while perks are being removed), why not take your money and go elsewhere? You’re not really proving a point to them by staying at their hotel.

For the price of a deluxe hotel on property, you could stay in an actually deluxe hotel somewhere else. Plus, there are so many other places to explore outside of Disney. If you’re that upset with them go explore one of the many other beautiful places in the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter