Why I'm not buying an annual pass and not going into the parks

To explain to interested parties why he/she is no longer buying an annual pass or going into the parks.
Right. I’ve seen many people say on these boards that the direction the parks have gone isn’t going to change until and unless guests speak with their wallet and refuse to pony up extra $$$ to The Mouse, time and again, and then some more. Here you have someone doing just that, and I can respect that. No, not packing up marbles and going home, but making a change to speak with the wallet. While we aren’t there, yet…..good for you.

There are a lot of people, even long time, loyal repeat guests who think that Disney has changed for the worse, overall, over the past 10, 20….30 years. It’s not just that things got more expensive, that’s life, it happens. The bigger problem is that prices and practices have served to take away the value that used to make the high (and now exorbitantly high) prices “worth it”. Disney’s decisions to maximize revenue, which is their right, to continually cut back services, and to monetize everything, as other parks have been doing for decades, has stripped away much of what made Disney different, and truly special. Disney used to actually be Magic, now they just seem to peddle ‘Magic™️‘ Of course Disney doesn’t want to hear that, it means nothing to them. Guests not spending? That they’ll hear, eventually. Maybe. If enough people speak similarly with the wallet. Will that ever happen? Probably not….but good for someone starting somewhere.

Sometimes it makes one feel good to stand up and say “I’ve had enough”, and to make some kind of change that makes them feel better. Maybe I’ll get there some day, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. They were much appreciated. We are DVC owners and we really like the resort and area. So for those who commented about vacationing somewhere else so Disney doesn't get the money, we've already paid for the room through our annual dues. Any suggestions on what you would do on your non-park day? Canadian Tom

I actually think I like the Genie+ plan far better than FP+. Getting up at dawn to book rides 60+ days in advance and compete with others for it, months before a trip, stressed me out far more than deciding day of to buy Genie+ or not.
Yes! The old FP+ system benefitted turbo-planners, of which I'm not one. The whole "get up at dawn and book 60 days out" thing totally stressed me out, and made me feel like I was ruining my vacation even before it started. I like the flexibility of Genie+. On our trip last week, I bought it for MK and thought it was well worth the money. I regret not buying it for DHS, and was fine without it for AK and Epcot.

My annual pass was due to expire on the 8th and I really waffled on whether or not to renew after 20+ years. The loss of so many things that made WDW an easy vacation (Magical Express, resort package delivery, 60 day advance Fast Past reservations, etc), the need to be on a mobile phone all day (Genie+, virtual queues, mobile order/check in, etc), and the restrictions of park reservations/2pm park hopping limitations, have really devalued the experience for me. Since Covid is still currently putting a damper on reliable trip planning to other places that I want to go, I finally decided to stick it out for one more year.

Your vacation, your money, your choice... We bought annual passes this year and were very excited by the Pixie option. A true bargain for us. We are going for a couple weeks and will use the weekends for our relaxation days. We've also decided not to buy Genie however we always expect to wait in lines at any amusement park we visit including Disney. I can't understand all the conversations about wait times and concerns over waiting in line. If this was a big worry for us we would vacation far removed from any amusement park. I don't want to offend anyone but if we were going on a resort only vacation there are plenty of beautiful resorts away from WDW that we would consider for a lot less money. Enjoy your time.

Thanks for all the comments. They were much appreciated. We are DVC owners and we really like the resort and area. So for those who commented about vacationing somewhere else so Disney doesn't get the money, we've already paid for the room through our annual dues. Any suggestions on what you would do on your non-park day? Canadian Tom
If you will have a car available, might I suggest eating off-property? Lots of good restaurants available a short drive from BCV, chains and non-chains. We frequently buy gift cards to take on our trips for Carrabbas, Texas Roadhouse, etc. The two that I mentioned have much better Italian food and steaks than you get on property at MUCH lower prices. Value (quality/price) is not competitive on Disney property, even when you factor in convenience.

I don't want to offend anyone but if we were going on a resort only vacation there are plenty of beautiful resorts away from WDW that we would consider for a lot less money. Enjoy your time.
That’s why a lot of the negative changes are especially bad for DVC owners, who may have bought into one Disney and now are being delivered a different experience. Short of the hassle of selling, DVC owners are locked in. At least for the cost of annual dues you actually can’t find a nicer and cheaper hotel somewhere else. But I hear you. When and if we fall out of love with Disney I’d probably consider renting our points and vacationing elsewhere.

We're likely not renewing our annual passes next Spring after years of having them. The new options for Florida residents are not a good value for us. We like to do long festival weekends at Epcot (I get almost all federal holidays off) and they blocked out most of those at the silver, now pirate, level and raised the price. We'd have to upgrade to sorcerer and that's just not worth it, especially with the other perks going away. I've been waffling on this since they started charging for parking at all the resorts. Just a complete cash grab. It's sad, but maybe its time to do other things with our vacation time.

We'll likely still do food and wine with a Florida Resident ticket special but will not be doing the other festivals. We can get a Busch Gardens pass for so much cheaper and it's right down the road.

I have no delusions that anything will change with Disney. Lots of people will still pay what they're asking. It's up to each family to decide if the new pricing works for them.

Could do a month at BCV then and not leave the area. However in your case we would:

Hit D Springs a lot for drinks/dining/shopping/strolling/bowling (yes even a movie once, maybe the balloon).

Cirque du Soleil

Clearwater Beach day.

US/IOA day.

Bay Lake Bass Fishing morning.

Golf Morning.

Resort/ Pool Hop.

Skyline to Riviera Topolino's Terrace views.

Check out the animals at AK Lodge.

Trader Sam's and POLY beach for fireworks.

Geyser Point WL for drinks/dinner on the beach.

Life is about choices, and Disney trips are just another. One person's "I've had enough and am cancelling my reservation and not going back" is another person's "So excited, just miraculously had a reservation open up and we're delighted to finally get there." Spend your money where you enjoy it most.

I Absolutely hope you and your family enjoy your holiday together. We weren't necessarily happy about genie plus, especially given that we live about 15 minutes from the parks and go weekly. We have found it easiest to go at opening in a week day ( MK has been doable without genie plus add on if doing smaller rides.) However we have already bought the genie plus option for 4 separate days that we've gone into the parks, the waits for headliner attractions have definitely made it needed.
Honestly, I like this option better than having nothing in place. Obviously I miss our free fast passes, but we are choosing to go into the parks.....we also are choosing to pay money vs spend more of our time waiting in a queue. For every person that says they won't go, many more will.....business is business.

Edited to add...my children love doing the swan boats on lake Eola, if you haven't gone there yet!

Last edited:
I actually think I like the Genie+ plan far better than FP+. Getting up at dawn to book rides 60+ days in advance and compete with others for it, months before a trip, stressed me out far more than deciding day of to buy Genie+ or not.

We’re going to Universal for the first time in January. The Express Passes are frightfully expensive- like $100/person per day! So, it’s not like Disney is suddenly gouging.

People hate change, and I get that. But not all changes are bad. The understaffing, the lack of parking lot trams, etc- that’s bad change. But Genie+ is really not all that big of a deal to me. I still have my AP. and I will still use it.
My family has been to Universal many times over the years and we have never paid for the Express Pass as we always stay in one of the Deluxe resorts and receive the Express Pass for every member of our party for free. Universal's Deluxe resorts are so nice and much cheaper than Disney's deluxe resorts. One of the wonderful perks of the Express Pass is that you can go on a favorite ride as many times as you like without standing in line, unlike Disney's Genie that only lets you ride each ride once.

As a fellow DVC owner, I echo your thoughts. I paid Disney my money years ago when I bought my DVC membership (actually, I paid someone else since I bought half of my points resale), but now, I own my lodging and pay only for the maintenance. I just calculated out what our last 6-night trip actually cost me (buy in cost + dues) and it was about $1200. We stayed a night at OKW (studio), 2 nights at Riviera (pref studio) and 3 nights at AKV (value 1BR) and it averaged out to $200/night. Sure, I could sell my DVC and stay off-property, but why would I? That money has already been "spent" and there is still a value to be had with those accommodations.

Going forward, I definitely see more time being spent at our home resort of AKV..."it has a freakin' savanna!" We also own at HHI and we are going there for the second year in a row using our AKV points. We did not buy Genie+ on our last trip, even though we were there on the day it started. There was no need for it...all of the standby lines were manageable for us. Sure, there were some lines that we waited in for over an hour, but we used that time to talk and spend time together. We were not in a rush and "line time" was "together time". We don't see a need to get 12 attractions under our belt before noon. We chose what rides we wanted to do and we did them. When we were done, we left the park and moved on to what we wanted to do next. I'm sure the goal of Genie+ is to keep people out of lines and in the stores/restaurants (i.e. SPENDING MONEY), but for this repeat guest, I have NO problem hanging out in the queues, bonding with my family.

Who asked for it? No one.
To me its just attention seeking rather than a sincere type of thread like most.
No, nobody asked for them to share their opinion on the subject (but I’m glad they shared, even though I haven’t yet arrived at the same conclusion). You know what else is true? They didn’t make you click on the thread and read it, either! If you weren’t interested in said opinion you had the free will to pass on by, and let others who are actually interested engage in the thread. How is complaining about someone else’s thread, which it seems you probably should have just passed over, any less ‘attention seeking’?

My family has been to Universal many times over the years and we have never paid for the Express Pass as we always stay in one of the Deluxe resorts and receive the Express Pass for every member of our party for free. Universal's Deluxe resorts are so nice and much cheaper than Disney's deluxe resorts. One of the wonderful perks of the Express Pass is that you can go on a favorite ride as many times as you like without standing in line, unlike Disney's Genie that only lets you ride each ride once.
It's not really free - it's included. But I will agree, with the more "reasonable" deluxe resort prices at Universal, it is a really good deal. We've done it, too, and it's tough to beat.

Sounds nice but if you are trying to hurt Disney with your pocketbook, why not book an entirely different trip off property.

Assuming the OP is staying at BCV because they are a DVC member. A lot of DVC members stay at the resorts but don't go to the parks. It's a thing. I still do the parks, but I don't rent a car. I believe there are some places it's possible to get to off WDW property using Uber/Lyft but I don't feel the need myself. Nor do I want to go to a chain restaurant I can go to at home (Jaleo is an exception lol)

DVC members do have the option of selling their points, I think I could get more for BCV points than I paid for them 19 years ago. Or rent them out, and use the cash to vacation elsewhere. With that cash you could certainly afford a Universal deluxe vacation.

Last edited:
Just a thought for the OP…..maybe consider editing the name of the thread. Something along the lines of ‘Speaking Out Against Disney Changes With Your Wallet’, or something like that. D.D.D. has a point that not many people care about an individual passholder and why they are taking some of their money elsewhere…..but a thread for like minded people to share how they might be taking their vacation dollars elsewhere in response to Disney changes would probably have some real legs.

Everyone has to do what is right for them, if a hotel only stay is it - that is great, enjoy. BUT it in no way impacts Disney at all. So if the point is to show displeasure with Disney the only real option is to sell your DVC.

But realistically as your plans stand ......... Disney could care less.

We’re going to Universal for the first time in January. The Express Passes are frightfully expensive- like $100/person per day! So, it’s not like Disney is suddenly gouging.

People hate change, and I get that. But not all changes are bad. The understaffing, the lack of parking lot trams, etc- that’s bad change. But Genie+ is really not all that big of a deal to me. I still have my AP. and I will still use it.

I've done both and I disagree.

Not having 3 advance greatly impacted our days. Being forced into the next time whether is worked for where I was or our plans impacted out day. Not able to modify a time without cancelling a time impacted our day.

I NEVER EVER got up at dawn 60 days out to book FP+. Sometimes I waited to a couple weeks out. I adjusted them constantly, even the day of. I got top rides, even the day of. It was a simple and flexible system.

I also have AP and I'll use Genie+ some days, and eventually it will run better as Disney irons it out. No Disney isn't gouging, but Express doesn't make you work non-stop all day and hope you get to ride all you want.

Is it all that bad? No BUT it is no where near the amenity that FP+ was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter