Why I am opposed to the new prix fixe menus... and it isn't just cost!

[/QUOTE]
OP: I'm sure you've considered this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway--there are plenty of wonderful TS restaurants throughout WDW that aren't prix fixe and you can order a la carte. If you want to do a lot of character meals, though, the prix fixe menu can be a problem, so perhaps you could limit the number of prix fixe meals you have in any given trip.

Yeah. Currently booking dining for our next trip.... Olivia's Brunch, Skipper Canteen, and Steakhouse 71 are currently on the plan.

California Grill seems to have added itself to the list (possibly) for the 50th...still TBD if they will offer their regular menu...
If you haven't seen it, they released the menu yesterday and its not the regular menu modified to prix fixe, it's an almost entirely different menu.

Last edited:
I understand those that don't like the prix fixe menus. However at the very popular restaurants, they don't want people coming and taking up a table ordering very little when that table could have different guests that will order a full meal (as noted BoG was the poster child).
As others have noted, there are plenty of other very good restaurants that don't do the prix fixe or have that as an option.

If you haven't seen it, they released the menu yesterday and its not the regular menu modified to prix fixe, it's an almost entirely different menu.
They change the menu each season but a few favorites are on the new menu, like the sushi, the beef wontons, the filet and the pork loin. The desserts are always meh regardless of the season.

it's unfortunate that the prix fixe menus don't work for everyone. I still think WDW does it to prevent guests going in and buying only a drink or dessert in order to look around, meet characters or see fireworks. As noted, there are still plenty of a la carte restaurants.

Man I soo feel you. I am a super picky eater... I basically hate all veggies and I am on keto diet. I do not plan on being on the keto diet when I am at disney, but my tummy has gotten super small so even when I break my diet I cannot eat much. Normally my mom and me will split an entree. Now they will still get their money from us, we order a lot of drinks and have high end tastes. So if they have to do the whole making sure they get their moneys worth from each table I would prefer a min order amount. That way I can tailor to my tastes and the actually food amount I can eat.

it's unfortunate that the prix fixe menus don't work for everyone. I still think WDW does it to prevent guests going in and buying only a drink or dessert in order to look around, meet characters or see fireworks. As noted, there are still plenty of a la carte restaurants.

I don't think it's unfortunate. Life is best when people have options.

You are not incorrect, but it should be acknowledged this is not the only way to run a business. And more to the point it was not how Disney quite successfully ran its business for decades. The balance between guest satisfaction and max pricing has been gradually tipping toward the latter for quite some time, but it is clear they are now taking a major leap in that direction. This is not a given. It is a perfectly reasonable business strategy to leave some $'s on the table now in an effort to increase longer term satisfaction and results. When it comes to prix fixe menus specifically, its a choice between increasing guest satisfaction/loyalty by giving guests choices (still quite expensive choices) and attempting to maximize revenue by removing those choices and charging even more. Neither option is inherently right or wrong, they are just different ways of approaching the business.

So yes, Chapek's Disney "going to do as much as they want, for as high a prices they can get, because people keep paying." That is clear. But it is quite reasonable to point out this is not the only responsible path to take, and it can definitely be argued it is a strategy that increases the chances of longer term negative consequences.
I agree that Disney has been tipping the scale more towards maxing out profits vs guest satisfaction lately. (And I’m a shareholder so I have a vested interest in their profits). There is definitely a balance that should be struck and they definitely are choosing certainty (fixed pricing) over hoping that some guests cover the lower bills of other guests. DH tried to convince me that this was because of covid and inflation (the company he works for has restaurants and he knows how bad things are right now with staffing and food prices) and that they want to churn and turn the S220 guests quickly. But I told him about BOG from before. Btw, I don’t know about the cupcake controversy. Was it really that bad? I would love to see their data on how many people just bought cupcakes and how long they took up space in the restaurant. The place is huge and considering what I paid for for soup and a sandwich - happily, mind u bc I didn’t want a 3 course meal - it would have had to been a lot of cupcake sharers. And not to get into a debate but so what? I think that if you want to go have dessert at BoG then go. My sandwich doesn’t trump your cupcake. Anyhow I miss BoG but not enough to do the fixed meal there that I don’t want. I would probably do it if I had first timers or even a young daughter.

BoG makes it’s even worse in the MK -BoG, CP, CRT, and LTT are all fixed menus. Only Tonys, The Plaza, and Skipper are not. I used to love having the LTT as an option for lunch but right now it’s back to just thanksgiving. We used to love a nice midday lunch to get out of the heat at the MK. Now we seem to gravitate towards QS just for the flexibility, or we leave.

And while I’m here - say what you want about Eisner but in the early 2000s, he definitely catered more to ALL types of travelers (such as adults only) and not just families. Artist point does not have to be a character meal and I would love it if Cinderella’s would stay non-character for one meal also. I guess I’m just an old soul though because I also enjoyed Ellen’s Energy Adventure and the Great Movie Ride.

I am a vegetarian and not against these types of menus at all. We had a wonderful meal at Wilderness Lodge in March 2020 just prior to the shut down. But $80 plus drink, tax, and tip for some tempeh? There is no way that is happening. I am so excited about the plant based menus popping up everywhere at WDW. We will just eat elsewhere in Epcot.

My biggest problem with prix fixe menus is that it is very easy to waste food. There is so much food left on plates because some people simply can't eat it all. A la carte options still have food waste but it is significantly less. Add in the price, and then you feel guilty leaving anything on the plate and then end up way too full.
I know the point of this thread isn't the "wasted" food, but, for what it's worth, leftover food at Disney isn't wasted or thrown out. I asked a server at the Garden Grill what happens to the food we couldn't eat because there was so much. He told me that all the leftover food goes to a biofuel plant that produces energy that powers some significant parts of the parks and the buses. Anything that can't be made into biofuel is composted. I checked it out online, and it's a pretty cool system that other restaurants in the area can participate in. This doesn't solve the prix fixe issues that many of you have about the cost, but at least the issue of leftovers might not weigh so much on your conscience.

I am a vegetarian and not against these types of menus at all. We had a wonderful meal at Wilderness Lodge in March 2020 just prior to the shut down. But $80 plus drink, tax, and tip for some tempeh? There is no way that is happening. I am so excited about the plant based menus popping up everywhere at WDW. We will just eat elsewhere in Epcot.
Vegan here, and one of the things I love about WDW is how easy it is to get vegan food there, even at QS restaurants. Flame Tree Barbeque has a vegan selection now, which surprised me--and which I really enjoyed, especially as I'd never eaten there. The seating area is just beautiful.

There are many vegan and vegetarian options at Epcot. Enjoy!

I hear you...
But, if I could order what I wanted, I'd get the tuna app, the brussels side, and probably split the lounge deviled eggs or fried potatoes side with my kids (so I'd have 3 courses and ate when they did)...and I'd be happy...

And all my kids and spouse would go 3 courses, so Disney would make out, but they won't b/c my fam wouldn't make me go somewhere I couldn't eat or wouldn't eat - and right now, I wouldn't eat for $100 to just get tuna and a scoop of sorbet...

It would be so easy for them just to do a minimum price requirement to avoid the dessert only people. My DD would get the Burrata and Space greens as her meal and probably the potato wedges or broccolini and the lemon mouse or sticky toffee and a lightyear lemonade----- and I would happily pay the price if she could get what she wants. She won't eat their only vegetarian option entree because she despises mushrooms.

For Space 220 and Cali grille you do have the lounge option to see the place and have a small bite or two. No reservations though, no idea on the wait.

That is good to know because the space theme and looking out those windows is going to be a priority for both DH and DD. Hopefully there is someplace in the lounge that you can see out the windows okay. But- I don't see anything on the lounge menu at all that she would eat-- blue cheese crumbles on top will wipe out the cauliflower- and right now Disney doesn't leave anything off on request. I wish she could get that Space Greens salad there, because that is something she would order and love anywhere. At least we could get in to see the place that way though.

It would be so easy for them just to do a minimum price requirement to avoid the dessert only people. My DD would get the Burrata and Space greens as her meal and probably the potato wedges or broccolini and the lemon mouse or sticky toffee and a lightyear lemonade----- and I would happily pay the price if she could get what she wants. She won't eat their only vegetarian option entree because she despises mushrooms.

That is good to know because the space theme and looking out those windows is going to be a priority for both DH and DD. Hopefully there is someplace in the lounge that you can see out the windows okay. But- I don't see anything on the lounge menu at all that she would eat-- blue cheese crumbles on top will wipe out the cauliflower- and right now Disney doesn't leave anything off on request. I wish she could get that Space Greens salad there, because that is something she would order and love anywhere. At least we could get in to see the place that way though.
Can someone clarify this for me - if I have an allergy they won’t leave something off? I have a soy flour allergy and am used to telling them that and they are good with checking for me. Is that not happening anymore or is it just preferences? Or is it just space 220? TIA

Can someone clarify this for me - if I have an allergy they won’t leave something off? I have a soy flour allergy and am used to telling them that and they are good with checking for me. Is that not happening anymore or is it just preferences? Or is it just space 220? TIA
Disney accommodates food allergies.
Food preferences/prixe fixe substitutions may or may not be options.

I am very frustrated with the push to the prix fixe menu. I had Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) about a year ago. I can eat about 1 cup of food at a meal. It is a very small amount, but it's working great for me (down nearly 100 pounds!). I leave lots of food on the table no matter where I eat, but I generally order food with this in mind. This isn't an option with the new prix fixe menu.

My husband loves steak and we generally order an app he and the kids like (I'll have a bite or two), two kids meals, and then I will order something else (protein heavy) too and take about half or more back to the room, or trash it. However, having both us us get and app and a dessert is too much and I would be taking so much food home or having to carry it around a lot. I don't mind going to a buffet at Disney if the kids are happy about it and there is something I can eat.

I will eat at these prix fixe places eventually (maybe), but it has to be worth it for the family... aka the family has to really want to go.

Hi OP: I certainly understand your concerns about all that food. I wonder if you explain the situation that they would adjust things for you? But I really kind of doubt it with prixe fixe. I don't like it either and just stay away from them unless I am very hungry.
Since my husband and I don't get the DP, we find we split alot of meals. I also order kids meals which are pretty perfect for me. Maybe you could try kids meals. I actually prefer the fruit that comes with them. And congratulations on your weight loss:)

Character meals, which are all prix fixe, will not adjust the price based on the amount of food the guest is willing or able to eat. It would be interesting to know whether Space 220 will allow adults to order the children's menu.

Character meals, which are all prix fixe, will not adjust the price based on the amount of food the guest is willing or able to eat. It would be interesting to know whether Space 220 will allow adults to order the children's menu.

That is known. As of today, no one may order kid food (no matter what they will pay) if they are over 9...period. It is a very hard line according to those bloggers in attendance yesterday. Will it change with pushback - time will tell...although I think their current plan is to tell you to do the standby lounge and to keep the prix fixe reservation as is...

Im glad my kids 18&16 got the point of not caring about character soon after the reopening. Last two trips we left and went and ate over at the springs ( Boathouse) and Shulas and a few other Landrys places. BOG - 6 Adults tax and tip close to $700 Boathouse 6 people 3 bourbons 2 Cocktails 3 45 day dry aged ribeyes and 3 6oz filets $425 with Tip

That is known. As of today, no one may order kid food (no matter what they will pay) if they are over 9...period. It is a very hard line according to those bloggers in attendance yesterday. Will it change with pushback - time will tell...although I think their current plan is to tell you to do the standby lounge and to keep the prix fixe reservation as is...
It's rough if you have a 10 year old. On the other hand, some adults would ask for kid price, kid meal to visit with a discount. Maybe they want to avoid that discussion, period.

I understand those that don't like the prix fixe menus. However at the very popular restaurants, they don't want people coming and taking up a table ordering very little when that table could have different guests that will order a full meal (as noted BoG was the poster child).
As others have noted, there are plenty of other very good restaurants that don't do the prix fixe or have that as an option.
In that case, maybe they ought to ban solo diners, as well.... heck maybe even couples! "We like big orders... and I cannot lie!" Sorry that song came into my head LOL

I get the problem of people booking BOG to order a cupcake. But for me this is about choice... just because I don't want a pre-selected menu, doesn't mean I'll order "too little". Sheesh!

There are great restaurants that are still not prix-fix, thank goodness... but to have a much heralded restaurant like Space 220 open and see that menu was a disappointment to me.

And for those folks waiting on the new DDP to be announced, be ready for one heck of a price hike to cover all these inflated prix-fix restaurants that people will want to use entitlements for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter